Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe for Europeans

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I wouldn't mind living in Dubai.
    Dubai is a shiny kip built on oil and slavery.
    Talking about that:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/03/birmingham-primary-school-to-resume-modified-lgbt-lessons

Modified lessons which take the sensibility of the local religious populations into account.

There lies the future.
    And it was the past here not so long ago.
    Now that is science fiction.
    It most certainly isn't F. It's likely to cause a massive shift in how humanity and society operates, not far off the shifts that occurred after the industrial revolution. And no, people won't "simply retrain" to take advantage. The skills required in new tech are too complex and require too much time to acquire and far fewer people are required in the first place. It's not like say when the railways started to replace the canals. A man who dug canals could pick up his tools and learn to cut tracks in the landscape the next day. It's not like when blacksmiths and farriers could leave horses behind and walk into the Ford Motor company and start on the production line. With the level of automation we're taking about, the production line will be automated. And unlike previous shifts in production and work this tech is not just replacing human muscle power, it's replacing human brain power, which will lead to unexpected consequences. Take a hospital as an example. The "easiest" job to replace or massively reduce the need for are the doctors, the nurses and porters are safer from replacement.

Countries and the environment(the single biggest impact an individual will have on the environment is having a child) will weather the automation revolution best if they have lower populations. This drive to have more kids and get more people in is there to feed our current consumerist model and the financial boom/bust cycle. That's it. By every other metric lower population densities are the positive.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

yoke wrote: »
    You should take a breather, you've nearly the same number of posts I have in 11 years in only half a year, you're simply spamming threads at this stage, or at the very least learn to make an actual point, no offence

No offence taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Kivaro wrote: »
    This is actually how the asylum/refugee process should work. And if it did work like that, I'd say it would get almost universal support here in Ireland. If you are a genuine refugee, we will shelter you and feed you.

However, how many asylum seekers coming to Ireland are fleeing life endangering situations? The overwhelming vast majority of them are economic migrants. If they are really fleeing for their lives, they would seek sanctuary in the first safe country. But this is not happening for our asylum seekers. Nope, they are traversing across the continent from places like Georgia, Albania, and further afield from Pakistan and Nigeria to gain access to the paradise that is the Irish Welfare System.
    The EU has willingly and knowingly blurred the lines between economic migrant and what should be the sacrosanct status of "asylum".

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

seasidedub wrote: »
    He's right. In my opinion.

Why is "nationalism" wrong? Almost all countries including our own specifically celebrate it on days such as Easter Sunday - the festivities are even attended by the arch wizard of multiculturalism himself Micky D. We are taught to be proud of our nation, culture etc. Then on the other hand, told to accept diversity and multiculturalism. I don't think you can have it both ways to be honest.

Do we really want Ireland to be a really multi ethnic Ireland? Like really? I'm not talking about better ethnic restaurants, I mean a country where it wouldn't really be "irish" anymore, but a mix.

Is that what we really want? I'm not so sure. Generally, I go to places like Portugal or Estonia or other countries to see and experience the culture, language, food etc. Sure, you can go to certain places like New York to experience multiculturalism, but generally I go to France to eat French food and see how the French live.

We like to think that everyone "integrates" and becomes part of the new country but while that may have been true of immigrants in the past, now there's cheap travel, phone calls, internet, satellite tv in the home language etc, and people increasingly stay in their own groups. The nhs in the UK spends 50 million a year on translators - often for people 20 years in the country.

What are actually seeing are fractured societies where people work together because they must, but otherwise settle in their own groups.

The lack of self awareness is just a sight to behold. Imagine if the Irish went over to the UK and didn't integrate? County Kilburn anyone? Brent? the Republic of Digbeth? Remember when RTE wanted to start a satellite channel for the immigrant population, the save RTE LW campaign to help keep the Irish in touch? Any of this ring any bells?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/rt%C3%A9-to-launch-diaspora-tv-service-in-uk-1.903922
    A NEW television service aimed at Irish emigrants in Britain will be on air by early next year, it is expected to be announced today.
    The service, which has a working title of Diaspora TV, is likely to be a hybrid of RTÉ One and RTÉ 2 with some additional programming from TG4. The Six Oneand 9pm news will be carried live. Minister for Communications Eamon Ryan is due to make the announcement today to coincide with St Patrick's Day.
    The new service to Britain will be a satellite service and is part of a wider international service being developed by RTÉ.

http://savertelongwaveradio.com/
    Independent Senator Billy Lawless has called on RTÉ to retain
    its UK long-wave radio service for Irish emigrants.
    He told the Seanad on Feb 2nd 2017 that the service was due to be abolished some time this year. “There are more than 600,000 Irish-born emigrants living in the UK, with many of its older members forced out of Ireland in the 1950s with little education and no prospects of work at home,’’ said Mr Lawless. He said a survey, carried out by the Social Policy Research Centre at Middlesex University London a year ago, revealed 92 per cent of respondents listened every day or most days. Some 44 per cent listened in the car or in another vehicle, he said.

Older age groups
    “Unsurprisingly, it was the so-called older age groups who did not access the service on digital radio platforms, on a laptop or digital TV,’’ Mr Lawless said. He urged Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Joe McHugh to “implore RTÉ management to reconsider this ageist and discriminatory cut” to its long-wave service. “Nobody is trying to halt the digitalisation of our media or impede RTÉ in its process of modernisation,’’ Mr Lawless said. Mr McHugh said a survey in the United Kingdom had revealed 72 per cent of listeners were over 60, while 68 per cent were born in Ireland and 62 per cent retired.

What's your point here? Because as far as I'm reading, it proves mine.

Advertisement