Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe for Europeans

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

FWIW: Most Buddhist loathe the Dalai Llama. He's not very popular at all among the Buddhist religion.
    Most Buddhists tend to roll their eyes when they hear about him and are of the opinion he has a bit of a screw loose.

He makes his money from preaching to gullible westerners and americans who view him as some kind of messiah and pay big money to listen to him spout shíte.

That much is pretty evident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It is worth pointing out the OP is a a blow in from Poland? Europe for Europeans and Ireland for the Irish anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

He also said, "Receive them, help them, educate them" and said Europe was “morally responsible” for helping “a refugee really facing danger against their life”. His point was that refugees should return to their own countries and help rebuild when they can. Funny how that got left out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Hurrache wrote: »
    But you did say "they" turned on her with the implication it was for nonsensical reasons. They had nothing wrong at that point as she wasn't in a position to ethnically cleanse anyone.

What a flip you must think she made, I guess you think she went mad while in isolation?

I tend to think she thinks what shes doing is right. Do you genuinely believe she has evil intentions?

That have a fondness for self immolation.

That's a much grander act that taking hundreds along with you. One such video is especially memorable for me, and I think the most powerful political message I have ever seen.
    Quảng Đức's self-immolation came in response to the persecution of Buddhists by the government under Diệm, who belonged to the Catholic minority and was supported by the USA. Buddhists were regularly subjected to discriminatory policies that ranged from limited access to United States aid to employment. Even the military saw some Buddhists convert in order to improve their chance of promotion.

Thích Quảng Đức calmly emerged from a car and adopted the lotus position on a cushion in the intersection where he was doused in petrol from a five-gallon can. After chanting a prayer he struck a match and his body was engulfed in flames.
    Photographs of the act shocked the world, and increased international pressure on Diệm who failed to implement reforms that he promised in the aftermath. On 1 November he was overthrown in a coup and assassinated the following day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Yet they are still crossing the Mediterranean .It's not due to living space either

Just going to say that it’s cause things are so appallingly *hit in the countries their coming from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Blaizes wrote: »
    Just going to say that it’s cause things are so appallingly *hit in the countries their coming from.

In comparison I would imagine so. Europe is very wealthy in comparison. Welfare etc much more generous in comparison.

Europe only has a population of 741 million. Lots of room. The more the merrier. We have the cash. The taxpayers will help out.

Open the gates I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Some religious aul lad says something. We'll have more at nine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Kivaro wrote: »
    It will drive the liberal left here bonkers since the Dalai Lama came out and said it. They will be so conflicted on whether to call the Dalia Lama a racist/Nazi, which is the usual response when anyone brings up the topic.

Not only that but back in the days of the Free Tibet movement it was the Liberal Left themselves that were most vocal about the 'genocide' of native Tibetans, due to the (planned and deliberate) mass immigration of Han Chinese and their predicted demographic replacement of Tibetans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

MrFresh wrote: »
    He also said, "Receive them, help them, educate them" and said Europe was “morally responsible” for helping “a refugee really facing danger against their life”. His point was that refugees should return to their own countries and help rebuild when they can. Funny how that got left out.

This is actually how the asylum/refugee process should work. And if it did work like that, I'd say it would get almost universal support here in Ireland. If you are a genuine refugee, we will shelter you and feed you.

However, how many asylum seekers coming to Ireland are fleeing life endangering situations? The overwhelming vast majority of them are economic migrants. If they are really fleeing for their lives, they would seek sanctuary in the first safe country. But this is not happening for our asylum seekers. Nope, they are traversing across the continent from places like Georgia, Albania, and further afield from Pakistan and Nigeria to gain access to the paradise that is the Irish Welfare System.

• Advertisement

Douglas Murray argued that most of the people entering are economic migrants taking advantage travelling alongside genuine asylum seekers.

I don't see how you can turn away an asylum seeker.

But we can only handle so many economic migrants, especially low skilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Kimsang wrote: »
    Douglas Murray argued that most of the people entering are economic migrants taking advantage travelling alongside genuine asylum seekers.

I don't see how you can turn away an asylum seeker.

But we can only handle so many economic migrants, especially low skilled.

Low skilled, no english, asylum seekers? Do the jobs the Irish people won't do or apparently refuse to do. There seems to be loads of these positions available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

In comparison I would imagine so. Europe is very wealthy in comparison. Welfare etc much more generous in comparison.

Europe only has a population of 741 million. Lots of room. The more the merrier. We have the cash. The taxpayers will help out.

Open the gates I say.

I don’t know if you’re being genuine or sarcastic and I mean no offense in saying that as I haven’t read your other posts. Europe isn’t exactly in great shape at the moment though but certainly it’s not Africa. Heard on the radio today talks of welfare payments changing, maybe changes in pensions, I don’t know what to think, I’m not on welfare nor of pensionable age but for those who are I think it wouldn’t be well received. But perhaps i’m wrong and it would depend on how it was implemented. I’m off topic by miles now I’d say but our national debt is very high as well. I should probably stop listening to the radio because it all gets a bit depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What a flip you must think she made, I guess you think she went mad while in isolation?

I tend to think she thinks what shes doing is right. Do you genuinely believe she has evil intentions?

I think nothing, but I do know the facts of what happened.

To try cleanse a country of people based on their religious beliefs through murder and violence is evil, yes.

"I tend to think she thinks what shes doing is right." Do I really need to Godwin the thread?

Thread had turned into the usual **** show though with posters believing, probably because their minds can't comprehend anything different, that you're either left or right on everything in life. Clowns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I think nothing, but I do know the facts of what happened.

To try cleanse a country of people based on their religious beliefs through murder and violence is evil, yes.

"I tend to think she thinks what shes doing is right." Do I really need to Godwin the thread?

Thread had turned into the usual **** show though with posters believing, probably because their minds can't comprehend anything different, that you're either left or right on everything in life. Clowns.

You clearly have never heard of Hannah Arendt. Its an interesting, but tough subject to grapple with. Not everything is as clear cut black and white as you think.

You clearly have never heard of Hannah Arendt. Its an interesting, but tough subject to grapple with. Not everything is as clear cut black and white as you think.

I have, but philosophy is basically just ones opinion isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

He's right. In my opinion.

Why is "nationalism" wrong? Almost all countries including our own specifically celebrate it on days such as Easter Sunday - the festivities are even attended by the arch wizard of multiculturalism himself Micky D. We are taught to be proud of our nation, culture etc. Then on the other hand, told to accept diversity and multiculturalism. I don't think you can have it both ways to be honest.

Do we really want Ireland to be a really multi ethnic Ireland? Like really? I'm not talking about better ethnic restaurants, I mean a country where it wouldn't really be "irish" anymore, but a mix.

Is that what we really want? I'm not so sure. Generally, I go to places like Portugal or Estonia or other countries to see and experience the culture, language, food etc. Sure, you can go to certain places like New York to experience multiculturalism, but generally I go to France to eat French food and see how the French live.

We like to think that everyone "integrates" and becomes part of the new country but while that may have been true of immigrants in the past, now there's cheap travel, phone calls, internet, satellite tv in the home language etc, and people increasingly stay in their own groups. The nhs in the UK spends 50 million a year on translators - often for people 20 years in the country.

What are actually seeing are fractured societies where people work together because they must, but otherwise settle in their own groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

In comparison I would imagine so. Europe is very wealthy in comparison. Welfare etc much more generous in comparison. Europe only has a population of 741 million. Lots of room. The more the merrier. We have the cash. The taxpayers will help out.
    Open the gates I say.

As the other poster said "I dont know whether you are being genuine or sarcastic - 'plenty of room'? - the facts are European population density already significantly exceeds that of Africa. It is also true that much of Europe is experiencing a housing crisis. 'Opening the gates' (sic) is not going to benefit the many - neither the countries people are leaving or the countries that they are travelling to ...

I have, but philosophy is basically just ones opinion isn't it.

I just find it hard for anyone to have that opinion of Kyi while knowing all the facts of the situation. From what I see of liberal media here, they only portray one side.
    You even used self immolation in the derogatory against Buddhists, when there is no more noble of an act...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I just find it hard for anyone to have that opinion of Kyi while knowing all the facts of the situation. From what I see of liberal media here, they only portray one side.
    You even used self immolation in the derogatory against Buddhists, when there is no more noble of an act...

She chose to do nothing in the face of genocide. That's why she was turned on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

mfceiling wrote: »
    Low skilled, no english, asylum seekers? Do the jobs the Irish people won't do or apparently refuse to do. There seems to be loads of these positions available.

Problem is, there won't be many of these positions available by 2030.

Automation (wave 2) will leave the unskilled and illiterate on the scrapheap.
    Only the highest educated, fluent and highly skilled will still be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The whole tone of this thread is just weird.

It's like 'haha liberals, this religious old guy that you're supposed to like said this thing that we like!'

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Do you agree with Dalai Lama, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, that Europe should be for the Europeans as stated in the video below?
    He goes even further in describing Europe becoming a Muslim or African land as "impossible".

Should we all despise the man who clearly stands in the way of us reaching the nirvana of multiculturalism?

Is Dalai Lama a NAZI???

<SNIP>

I've never liked him. Yeah he is racist.

He also said a woman should only succeed him if she is hot.

He is ill educated spoilt and ignorant.

The role of lama by the way is at the top of a very feudal system.

He supported India getting nuclear weapons. He rarely is critical of India in any way since his govt is in exile there.

He abandoned tibet and says all tibetans feel chinese now which is not true.

America used to give him money to publicly to oppose chinese rule there. Since the position of the States has changed on china he no longer receives money.

There is strong evidence that the Buddhist theocracy of Tibet was very cruel and oppressive before the seizure of Tibet by China (which was very brutal).

He said refugees should go back to their own country to rebuild it. Ironic that he has never tried to do this himself!

He is basically playing to the white supremacist Le Pen types.

He is a celebrity refugee.

Originally Posted by Kimsang View Post
    It takes a lot to piss of Buddhist monks.

One thing I wouldn't be fearful of being extreme is a Buddhist monk. They might take extra care not to tread on an insect.

That is actually not true. The Lama regime in Tibet BEFORE the Chinese invaded (which was also brutal) was in fact very brutal and feudal.

Tibet moved from ONE oppressive regime ruled by the lama to another ruled by the chinese. All Tibetans were serfs.
    Drepung monastery, on the outskirts of Lhasa, was one of the world's largest landowners with 185 manors, 25,000 serfs, 300 pastures, and 16,000 herdsmen. High-ranking lamas and secular landowners imposed crippling taxes, forced boys into monastic slavery and pilfered most of the country's wealth torturing disobedient serfs by gouging out their eyes or severing their hamstrings.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/feb/10/tibet-china-feudalism

The monks where brutal.

The whole tone of this thread is just weird.

It's like 'haha liberals, this religious old guy that you're supposed to like said this thing that we like!'

I don't blame them. And i am glad someone created the thread.
    I never liked the dalai lama.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I've never liked him. Yeah he is racist.

He also said a woman should only succeed him if she is hot.

ugee.

You should take a breather, you've over 3000 posts in less than 10 weeks, you're simply spamming threads at this stage, or at the very least learn to multi quote, no offence

That is actually not true. The Lama regime in Tibet BEFORE the Chinese invaded (which was also brutal) was in fact very brutal and feudal.

Tibet moved from ONE oppressive regime ruled by the lama to another ruled by the chinese. All Tibetans were serfs.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2009/feb/10/tibet-china-feudalism
    The monks where brutal.

Oh I see now, the communist Chinese were merely liberating the Tibetans from feudalism...;)

Pick and chose what you take as serious and what you take as smart remarks, you're as bad as the lefties.

• Advertisement

Pick and chose what you take as serious and what you take as smart remarks, you're as bad as the lefties.

I honestly didn't know you were joking. The distinction between reality and parody is fading.

Poe's Law

Advertisement