Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US embassy warns citizens against attending Longitude festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

kippy wrote: »
    The promoter may have been but the gardai etc may have taken a slightly different approach.

the gardai didnt seem particularly bothered by the advisory either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,429 ✭✭✭✭kippy

the gardai didnt seem particularly bothered by the advisory either.

Realistically, how are we to know about the actual level of botheredness shown by either party.

Realistically, how are we to know about the actual level of botheredness shown by either party.

well we can only go on what they say. The garda said it was already being policed appropriately in response to the warning.

well we can only go on what they say. The garda said it was already being policed appropriately in response to the warning.

Why not take the same stance on the warning that was originally issued then?

Why not take the same stance on the warning that was originally issued then?

well then it comes down to who you place more faith in, doesn't it. The americans put out an advisory. The gardai said it was policed appropriately. there were no incidents worth speaking about.

• Advertisement

well then it comes down to who you place more faith in, doesn't it. The americans put out an advisory. The gardai said it was policed appropriately. there were no incidents worth speaking about.

The lack of any issues at the event do not reflect on the validity of the warning surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭tphase

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    "I dont really like you white motherfu*kers"

Charming...

that's music?

The lack of any issues at the event do not reflect on the validity of the warning surely.

we have no idea how valid the warning was. we have no idea why the warning was issued. Perhaps they just looked at the lineup and assumed there might be trouble. Who knows.

we have no idea how valid the warning was. we have no idea why the warning was issued. Perhaps they just looked at the lineup and assumed there might be trouble. Who knows.

If that's your assumption then fair enough.

If that's your assumption then fair enough.

perhaps you missed the "who knows" at the end

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

RAPPER Dave enjoyed the gig, during his Longitude appearance dubbing the city his "my favourite place in the UK".
    https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/music/4301047/rapper-dave-longitude-performance-after-calling-dublin-favourite-place-in-uk/
    And Galway is my fav city in the whole of France bro'!

Meanwhile, from the I'Times: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/up-to-20-men-involved-in-suspected-planned-attack-after-dublin-music-festival-1.3949658
    Gardaí are treating the serious fracas as a spill over incident from Longitude. If the weapons found stashed around the Grafton Street area were linked to the men who tried to rush the door at Lost Lane, gardaí say that would confirm their suspicions the attempted gang attack was pre-planned.

Sounds like potential carnage was avoided, the door folks did very well to keep what sounds like: x20 ruffians loaded with stashed weapons outside, of what appears to be some pre-planned attack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

<SNIP>

Charming...
    Great stuff. You'd have to wonder about the total mugs that pay to see this garbage. He's certainly no Nas is he.

perhaps you missed the "who knows" at the end

A warning like that has to be taken seriously. I have no doubt the Gardai took it seriously and acted accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Great stuff. You'd have to wonder about the total mugs that pay to see this garbage. He's certainly no Nas is he.

Imagine some white lad on stage saying "I dont like any of you black c*nts" there would be a full scale riot.

They get away with it because slavery or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Cordell

Not only that, it's the racism of the gang lads themselves. While the ones in black ghettos in the US might have an excuse, the ones here don't. They should aim to improve their diversity and to be more inclusive.

Also, it's saddening to see the de-evolution of hip hop. How it went from party music to highly charged socio-political message to the garbage it became today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

<SNIP>

Charming...

Replace the word white with black and you have a lead story on every news channel in the country and 24/7 outrage and rightfully so. How come white people are all of a sudden a punchbag for hate?

Getting pretty flipping sick of all this anti white person bias that seems to be churned out these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Very strange. Apart from the crimes against music at Longitude I think this warning is pretty over the top from the Yanks. Makes it look like a terrorist attack is imminent or something. Pretty poor form from the Gardai that they haven't clarified on this, they "refuse to comment on statements by 3rd parties". Thoughts?

I'd have agreed with you a few days ago but isn't hindsight a wonderful thing.

I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that the US intelligence predicted potential trouble in Ireland yet our own intelligence knew nothing about it

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'd have agreed with you a few days ago but isn't hindsight a wonderful thing.

I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that the US intelligence predicted potential trouble in Ireland yet our own intelligence knew nothing about it

what trouble was there at longitude?

what trouble was there at longitude?

The gang with the petrol bomb & weapons that hit a club in Lost Lane, Dublin city came from directly from lonitude.

The US advise was spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

maybe it woukd be better for us to rely on american intel.
    garda intelligence - an oxymoron.

• Advertisement

The gang with the petrol bomb & weapons that hit a club in Lost Lane, Dublin city came from directly from lonitude.

The US advise was spot on

you think they had those in longitude? they smuggled in a petrol bomb?

you think they had those in longitude? they smuggled in a petrol bomb?

It's very unlikely that they went home after the gig to get tooled up. They had these weapons with them. They might have stashed them in the bushes in Marley park before going into Longitude but they most likely had them thats for sure.

A member of this gang most likely mentioned Petrol Bomb on social media. I think Bomb sets off alarm bells in the CIA since 7/11. CIA now looks closer & this group are possibly talking about going to Longitude, tooled up & with Bombs. They may brag about the mayhem they will cause. Maybe it didn't happen that way & I've watched too many Mission impossible movies but I think something like that happened.

The warning was 100 percent warranted & justified based on their intelligence gathered. The group did have petrol bombs & an assortment of weapons. The gang did go to Longitude. This was pretty good intelligence gathering from the US

So what gang was it? Just teenager ****? Petrol bombs seems a step up from my day.

So what gang was it? Just teenager ****? Petrol bombs seems a step up from my day.

Teenage **** yes. There have been gangs hopping on & off the DART on the Northside of Dublin for the last year causing mayhem. Many have been seen carrying sticks & knives. I'd hazard a guess that this gang has been involved in this over the last year. They are still young & none seem to have used the weapons they carry. I genuinely worry about what happens when they are no longer 15 & 16. What will they be like when they hit 19 & 20? It's scary thinking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

It's very unlikely that they went home after the gig to get tooled up. They had these weapons with them. They might have stashed them in the bushes in Marley park before going into Longitude but they most likely had them thats for sure.

Which is it then? You seem to grow in confidence as sentence goes on.

A member of this gang most likely mentioned Petrol Bomb on social media. I think Bomb sets off alarm bells in the CIA since 7/11. CIA now looks closer & this group are possibly talking about going to Longitude, tooled up & with Bombs. They may brag about the mayhem they will cause. Maybe it didn't happen that way & I've watched too many Mission impossible movies but I think something like that happened.

Think you watched too many movies.....

The warning was 100 percent warranted & justified based on their intelligence gathered. The group did have petrol bombs & an assortment of weapons. The gang did go to Longitude. This was pretty good intelligence gathering from the US

What evidence was gathered? Or is this just a guess?

The fact that a tiny minority of individuals who attended Longitude then went about 9km away from the event to cause issues in the centre of Dublin does not mean that the warning was justified. All it means is that this festival, like every festival ever put on, can attract some unsavory individuals who can and sometimes do cause issues. For all we know the attack was gang related and the group of 20 were planning to target a rival gang that were in the club. Again we do not know, and we could spend all day wondering what may or may not have been right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

Imagine some white lad on stage saying "I dont like any of you black c*nts" there would be a full scale riot.

They get away with it because slavery or something.

Conveniently edited to exclude the first half of the song which contains a white character saying precisely those things.

It's a commentary on white/black relations in America. Only an idiot or someone deliberately trying to be offended could come away from it thinking that Joyner hates white people.

bigslick wrote: »
    Which is it then? You seem to grow in confidence as sentence goes on.

Think you watched too many movies.....

What evidence was gathered? Or is this just a guess?

The fact that a tiny minority of individuals who attended Longitude then went about 9km away from the event to cause issues in the centre of Dublin does not mean that the warning was justified. All it means is that this festival, like every festival ever put on, can attract some unsavory individuals who can and sometimes do cause issues. For all we know the attack was gang related and the group of 20 were planning to target a rival gang that were in the club. Again we do not know, and we could spend all day wondering what may or may not have been right or wrong.

You are flogging a dead horse there my friend. Someone in the CIA most likely got a promotion today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The only solution is an outright ban on rap and house music. Although I am quite partial to Run The Jewels, maybe just ban the "gangsta" and crime stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

ceegee wrote: »
    Conveniently edited to exclude the first half of the song which contains a white character saying precisely those things.

It's a commentary on white/black relations in America. Only an idiot or someone deliberately trying to be offended could come away from it thinking that Joyner hates white people.

There's a lot of people on Boards who value their victimhood greatly. They feel there is a genocide of the white man coming and the left is conspiring to bring it.

• Advertisement

so this gang brought these weapons to longtitude and then brought them home with them? if they were the threat the us warned about why did they not use them? makes absolutely no sense

Advertisement