Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US embassy warns citizens against attending Longitude festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

New ambassador more Trumpian?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The US department of state are generally fairly on the ball so I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly, they must have some semi-reliable source to go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

Would I be right in saying this gig is all rap and grime music?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Black folks!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

https://twitter.com/TravelGov/status/1147174605104304128

https://twitter.com/amyohconnor/status/1147175757858385920

Very strange. Apart from the crimes against music at Longitude I think this warning is pretty over the top from the Yanks. Makes it look like a terrorist attack is imminent or something. Pretty poor form from the Gardai that they haven't clarified on this, they "refuse to comment on statements by 3rd parties". Thoughts?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/us-embassy-warns-citizens-against-attending-longitude-festival-1.3947961

https://ie.usembassy.gov/security-alert-longitude-festival-on-july-5-7-2019/

Bizarre. Yanks will do terrorist tourism walking tours on the falls road but are afraid of marley park. https://deadcentretours.com/
    DC Tours run several Belfast walking tours, including A History of Terror, the No.1 walking tour in Belfast. Highly Commended in Tourism NI’s ‘Authentic NI Experience of the Year 2019’, and officially graded as ‘Excellent’ by Tourism Northern Ireland, our tours have also won TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence for six years in a row, while the company has been named “Belfast Walking Tour Company of the Year’ for 2019 at the Luxury Travel Guide’s European Awards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The US department of state are generally fairly on the ball so I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly, they must have some semi-reliable source to go off.

Young crowd and rap/hippity hoppity I'd say is the sum total of what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Hurrache wrote: »
    Young crowd and rap/hippity hoppity I'd say is the sum total of what they have.

Still doesn't make sense though

Gatling wrote: »

No such warning any previous years either. I'd be giving that place a wide berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Sure a few years ago at sweedish house mafia the indigenous scum went around kicking the **** out of everyone.
    Id say theres a very good chance of it. These events just attract a certain crowd with love a bit of a drink a snort and a few stabbings.

Gatling wrote: »

Absolutely, it's a bizzare statement, really really weird for the US state department and embassy to make about a music festival in a suburb of Ireland.

But I doubt it's anything terrorist related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    No such warning any previous years either. I'd be giving that place a wide berth.

I'd be slightly concerned ,

A statement department warning for an event in Ireland is unheard of , regardless of what artists are playing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

kona wrote: »
    Sure a few years ago at sweedish house mafia the indigenous scum went around kicking the **** out of everyone.
    Id say theres a very good chance of it. These events just attract a certain crowd with love a bit of a drink a snort and a few stabbings.

As do plenty of other events unfortunately but they don’t usually get US State Department warnings. It’s quite odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Have to say that doesn’t sound good. Surely the organizers should be thinking about cancelling the event if there’s such a serious threat to the people in attendance

Collie D wrote: »
    As do plenty of other events unfortunately but they don’t usually get US State Department warnings. It’s quite odd.

They just mentioned violence which id say there is a high chance of compared to say maybe hall and oates gig next week.

Id say if its intelligence or something terrorist related they would have passed on the information to the garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Id say if its intelligence or something terrorist related they would have passed on the information to the garda.

It does say that the "Police" have increased event security, so An Garda must be taking the warning advice seriously as well.

They just mentioned violence which id say there is a high chance of compared to say maybe hall and oates gig next week.

More likely to be a stab festival than anything else. Maybe the postcode gangs plan on stabbing lumps out of each other.

Have to say that doesn’t sound good. Surely the organizers should be thinking about cancelling the event if there’s such a serious threat to the people in attendance

Serious threat of what?

K.Flyer wrote: »
    It does say that the "Police" have increased event security, so An Garda must be taking the warning advice seriously as well.

Gardaí pretty much say nope, dunno what they mean.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They have reliable intel that Stormzy is going to sing a slightly anti Trump song, and the US State Department believe the locals will not take it too well and incite violent reactions to defend the good name of the Commander in Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LazerShark

What a load of nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Fake news from Donald's gubmint? Surely not.

LazerShark wrote: »
    What a load of nonsense
    On stilts!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Hall and Oates are tonight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Wheety wrote: »

Expect it all to kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Hurrache wrote: »
    Gardaí pretty much say nope, dunno what they mean.

Yep, see that now.
    Nothing other than the usual advice on Garda.ie and other medias.

Wheety wrote: »

Im out of touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Im out of touch.

Private Eyes...at Longitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

The amount of young girls today that were out of their minds on drink and god knows what else around rathfarnham was horrendous..
    One young girl collapsed on the main road..god knows how she wasnt run over,these kids were only 14-15.
    I certainly would not be letting my two teenagers any where near longtitide,even though i live 5 mins away.

• Advertisement

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    The amount of young girls today that were out of their minds on drink and god knows what else around rathfarnham was horrendous..
    One young girl collapsed on the main road..god knows how she wasnt run over,these kids were only 14-15.
    I certainly would not be letting my two teenagers any where near longtitide,even though i live 5 mins away.

Sure thats part and parcel of irish summers and festivals? Its bein going on since chuculain was a child.

Advertisement