Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Beware, the 6500 XT will be rubbish if you're doing any kind of content creation (as it will lack the video encoders/decoders of cards like the 6600 and higher. It will also be kind of awful if you don't have Gen 4 PCI Express on your motherboard (as it uses only 4 lanes of PCI Express and relies on having Gen 4 speeds to work effectively)

I honestly don't know why the cards/boards won't just be made to physical X4 configurations instead of taking up all 16 physical lanes. Then at least you could put it in an X4 slot if you had to.

On the bright side, one of its deficiencies, it's 4GB VRAM size, may make it much easier to obtain as the Ethereum blockchain file size is now over 4GB. As such, it will not be possible to keep the entire file in the cards GDDR memory so it will be much slower in Ethereum mining. That might make it something you can actually buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I doubt it will be any easier to get. The problem is scarcity of supply across all cards. People are still paying insane prices for the likes of a 4GB GTX1650 new.

Having more than 4GB vram doesn't make a card good for mining either. The 6500XT won't be easily available, and where it is, it'll probably be double RRP like the other cards.

A big part of the problem is that miners are buying certain cards, but people who would've also bought those same cards are scrabbling to get whatever they can in the meantime, hence why tons of cards that aren't at all viable for mining are still commanding huge prices.

Look at the 2nd hand market, older, low-performance cards that would've sold for €30-50 2 years ago have now increased in value to €80-100.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

A cheap card that has lots of availability will cause prices to drop to some extent. People are buying at high prices and significantly better cards then they would normally get because Nvidia and AMD haven't made anything low end in years.

The GTX1650 is low-end for example. I bought one for €135 about 2 years ago. Still performs reasonably well for most big games like say Apex, COD, and your usual esports games like Siege or Overwatch.

Currently they're selling for around €350 new and Nvidia has been manufacturing them.

The 6500XT and RTX3050 will be scarce and cost radically above their RRP. They aren't going to be able to manufacture enough of them for anything else to happen in the near future.

Maybe, you have to remember that they get way more of those chips out of a wafer so in theory, a single wafer can provide significantly more cards to the market then before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The problem with a physical x4 slot is that it is very unlikely to run off the cpu, it's run off the external chipset, that means the extra latency is a killer for games. And since nobody runs sli/crossfire, or dedicated sound cards anymore, who is realistically in the market for a pcie x4 device? Might as well make it x16 as everyone is going to put their gpu in the first slot on the motherboard.

Having said that, 300 quid for this card is a joke and just shows how screwed the market is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone get one today? I tried today for the first time since the new system came in. I got a notification from part alert so tried even though I do not need a card. If I got one I was going to sell it here to someone for cost but anyway no luck.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gave it a go as usual but no joy here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Only 250 cards or something like that actually dropped today. Rx6700xt & Rx6900xt only dropped and that's all the stock currently remaining in Europe. I've read on some German forums that the remaining drops will be similar amounts over the next few weeks and that's it. Apparently the production of the 6 series reference cards has stopped . Not sure when the 7 series is to be released and if there will be reference cards available direct from AMD.

• Advertisement

Just logged into YouTube and all the main reviewers are absolutely crapping all over the RX 6500 XT. The limitation to 4 lanes of PCI Express Gen 4 is key - if you limited to PCI Express 3.0, the card goes from low-end, to "trades blows with a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti or maybe a 1650"

That's rather important because PCI Express 4.0 systems are not that common - not only did most CPU/mainboard pairs not support it until recently but even CPUs like the AMD Ryzen 5 5600G and 5700G are considered "low end" and as such do not offer PCI Express Gen 4, even on mainboards with a B550 or X570 chipset.

Ironically, this card might not suck so horrifyingly badly paired with an Intel Alder Lake CPU, because as I understand it, all Alder Lake CPUs and boards offer PCI Express 5.0 and 4.0 (although I could be wrong and am open to correction). But if you were going all AMD you'd have to pair this card with a high end CPU like the 5600X or newer/better. Which is a truly bizarre state of affairs. Even more ridiculous because some of us might have considered getting a system with a 5600G now, and waiting to put a decent graphics card in later on. Well, this ain't going to be it. Even if your current graphics card is about to die, it would make more sense to buy a GeForce 1030 or maybe 730/710 and wait for some decent value for money later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Your wrong the 3000 series of Ryzen also support PCIe 4.0. I know as I have a 3700X myself with a X570 MB.

I stand corrected. The Ryzen 3000 series non-G versions do indeed support PCI Express 4.0. Still a really bizarre choice by AMD to make a card that will run so badly under common configurations (i.e. all Intel before 11th gen Core, any G series AMD CPU, and any AMD before Zen 2 non-G), and likewise bizarre of them to still be making "low end" (and I'm using that term very loosely) CPUs that can't support PCI Express 4.0.

I think AMD deserves some flak for this.

They don't care they're just filling production slots with a tiny die. More dies, more cards, more profits in a market where literally everything sells regardless.

Depressing to think I built a system with an rx570 thinking ill upgrade in a year and its still the best option in its price bracket 5 years after release.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

If anyone is really desperate and wants to buy one, the 6500xt is in stock on OCUK, starts at €270.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭SickBoy

This card should be a hard pass for everyone.

That is actually a lot cheaper than a expected it to be.

Looking like I was wrong here. The RX6800 & RX6800XT are included in today's drop , hopefully more stock arrived than we've seen lately. I'll see if I can get an idea on number of cards being dropped.

Pre-queue starting at 14:55. Good look to anybody trying today

I disagree, if you want to build a low/mid range PC using new parts there's no reason you shouldn't look at pairing this card, if you can get it close to MSRP, with something like a 12100, a H610 motherboard and 16gb of 3200mhz ram and a 500gb NVMe ssd in a cheap and cheerful mATX case and a cheap EVGA psu from amazon and you get a decent brand new machine perfect for esports that can handle tripple A games at 1080p for less than €700.

Availability of this card at MSRP will also drive the prices of things like 4gb 570/580's, 1060's, 1650's, 5500xt's etx down a lot, as they don't offer better gaming, and aren't useful for mining.

Todays drop will be 50 x RX6900XT, 50 x RX6800XT, 50 x RX6800 and 200 x RX6700XT

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That is for all of Europe isn't it? You'd need some serious luck to nab one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭SickBoy

You must have been watching different reviews than me then.

Everything I saw had It barely competing with and most times getting beaten by 1050ti, 1650, 5500xt and 570/580/590.

It's a terrible card.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If the rumours are to be believed, the upcoming 6700G APU is better too.

So it's worse than an xbox and costs 200 quid more?

If you want to game at 1080p, then the build above makes no sense at all.

It's 200 more than a series x which will do higher quality visuals at 4k, and 400 more than a series s which will do 1440p.

If you want to be a streamer then this card has no encoding capability so you're wasting your time there.

If you want a pc for productivity then the cpu is too weedy and the hard drive is too small.

So this build is aimed at people who might say "I want to play cs:go at home alone but for some reason a 10 year old machine which would play it at 120fps isn't an option" and literally nobody else.

Well to be fair sometimes you just want a PC - for me personally it doesn't matter if an Xbox Series X was 299, I'm still going to want the PC.

A 12100 + 6500XT would be grand. I mean it's basically the equivalent in power of an OC'd 7700K with something like an RX580 on average. It's not terrible. It'd run most things well enough.

If you play stuff like WoW, Overwatch, Valorant, Apex, Siege, Fortnite, Call of Duty, FIFA it's pretty solid. Obviously if you play it with the intention of playing Cyberpunk 2077 or Battlefield 2042 it's gonna be less than incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

I'd be all for a console , badly need an upgrade from my R9 380 but most of my games aren't on console and I'm terrible with a controller. If I could install windows 10 on an Xbox some sneaky way, I wouldn't hesitate though...

• Advertisement

You could get a more powerful laptop for similar money. This is a laptop gpu anyway.

Advertisement