Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AMD Navi Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Exactly. While I understand not wanting to see people ripped off if you've sold one for less than market value in the last few months the person you sold it to saw you coming and made a lovely profit on it when they sold it on.

I sold my 2080ti for 850, could have got way more than that but I covered alot of the cost of my 6900xt so I was happy and he was happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

I sold an old 970 a few weeks back for €250. Madness I tells ya. Can't fault the 6800 it's a great card, quiet enough too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

circadian wrote: »
    I sold an old 970 a few weeks back for €250. Madness I tells ya. Can't fault the 6800 it's a great card, quiet enough too!

Sold my R9 390 for €350 a few months back. I feel bad about it going legacy and all, but the person on adverts who bought it seemed to be hoovering up any hardware they could get their hands on, so i doubt it was intended for gaming.

Has anyone managed to get a card in the last few drops? I've noticed things had gotten more difficult after I got mine - random drop times, needing scripts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Re my last, thanks for the input guys. Moot point now as the arse has fallen out of it for 5700XTs. Loads of them on adverts now not shifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,640 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Cards going for 200% MSRP is or more, is insane. I'm out, potato graphics on brand new PC it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Just grabbed a RX6800XT Midnight Black from AMD. Friday drop .... at 15:02pm that's a surprise.

AMD are drooping in 10 minutes , a new queue system is in place today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Didnt stay open for long, I didnt get out of the queue, hope others had better luck.

I got into the shop but only RX6700XT and RX6900XT where available by that stage. I wouldn't mind getting a second RX6800XT , that's all I'd be interested in personally.

It's a random queue system, so those who join 30 seconds before the sale starts are as likely to get in as those who who join 15 minutes earlier.

Just arrived....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

You can stop rubbing it in now

😊Ah I don't mean to, just really happy to have got the rare unicorn that is the RX6800XT. I'm away for the weekend but when I get back I'll do my upgrade, I'll be shifting my barely used RX6700XT.

For those interested in the new AMD drop process I joined the queue yesterday with 2 devices yesterday the 1st device 15 minutes before the drop the 2nd device 10 minutes before the drop. Each device was greeted with a countdown clock . When the countdown clock reach zero a stick figure man appeared on the screen on both devices. The man moved slowly at different rates across the screen. The 2nd device I joined the queue with actual completed it's trip across the screen before the 1st device and I got into the product page. I was able to add products to the basket but I didn't complete any purchases as there wasn't any cards I was interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Well the 6600xt is announced at a bargain price of... 375 quid! 1080p gaming at double what it should cost. I think I'm out at this stage. I'm not spending that much on a gpu considering how much I actually play games.

Not much of a "queue" if its totally random who gets in the shop from it.

And how can you join a queue if you don't know when the drops are going to be.

Thursday 3pm seems to be the norm for the last few weeks, last Friday drop was due IT system failures that affected several sites.

Joining the queue at or before 3pm gives you as much a random chance as anyone else. That's assuming they continue with the system they introduced. The new system doesn't require the use of scripts, so can be done on your phone.

There are plenty of alert systems on Twitter, discord and others that give heads up on when a drop will happen. I've previously linked to the forum on the German website Hardwareluxx where there is active information on when a drop will happen, the numbers of stock to be drop etc. Overall GPU stock has improved somewhat recently, but it's a long way off from being a simple click and buy situation and unfortunately getting familiar with these apps/sites is now a requirement to get a GPU.

AMD to their credit have been proactive in trying to combat bots, and at least they are shipping here directly unlike Nvidia.

Fair play to them for trying. I got a 6900xt from them months ago, on my second attempt thanks to partalert so that was good. When everyone else across Europe seemingly copped on to the weekly 4.30 drops soon after and getting one was near impossible even with the alerts, I gave up trying for a 6800xt for my son.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

RX 6600 XT revealed.

$380 with mediocre specs.

RIP budget builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, it's the end of the hobby for a lot of people I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Hard to see if it's a long term thing of them releasing mediocre products or if it's just them abusing the current market. Long term I can't see it working for them though because a certain amount of people will just stop building and head for consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Crazy pricing for what will likely be a ~5700 XT with token ray-tracing support. The only correctly priced products this generation are the 6800 & 6800 XT bought direct from AMD. Everything else has price inflation taken into account. We're just lucky they launched before all this madness or they'd both be bumped up a notch on the pricing tier and we'd be looking at €999 6800 XT's from AMD direct + aftermarket costs.

If the next generation of cards are as performant as leaks are suggesting, I'd say we're looking at the new normal. There's no way AMD or Nvidia are going to lower pricing if they're offering huge performance leap over this generation. I dropped a grand on a 6900 XT this time, and I don't regret it given the circumstances, but I won't be doing it again. I could almost get both next gen consoles for that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

That's the key thing, isn't it? When PC prices were high and they were competing against a PS2 or a 360, there was a massive massive performance gulf. Now the GPU guys are trying to sell us cards that aren't good for more than 1080p and putting them up at similar price points to consoles that will do 1440, or 4k. The fact that consumers are falling for these prices on GPU's is the bit I don't get. Vote with your wallet, people, because you are not missing out on anything by lining their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've a 6900 XT and don't even use it. I play a bit of GTA V single player from time to time and did do benchmarks with it during the colder seasons. I do notice on other sites about the XTX and XTXH variants of the 6900 XT but those guys are going for best benchmark scores. They must have money to burn as those XTX and XTXH cards are not cheap as AMD doesn't even sell those models as refence cards.

Has any body here ran an RX6800XT on a 600watt gold certified PSU ?

I've read on other forums it should be okay when paired with a Ryzen 5 3600. However if anyone here has direct experience it'd be appreciated.

For those of you wanting to try AMD drop/queue is at 2pm today. Queue system started

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Fecking missed it, ah well I see the price dropping on Amazon every other day so maybe soon :pac:

Install telegraph on you phone and sign up to the AMD CAT check alert- https://t.me/amd_cat.

It'll alert you when a drop is going to happen, usually it drops about half hour after the alert. You can get in the queue and chance your arm. The more devices and more browsers you have open , chrome, edge, Firefox the better your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Wen people order from the AMD drops, are ye ordering using amd.de or Irish one? The price seems cheaper on the DE one but I am guessing it will add VAT afterwards?

You're usually redirected to the .ie domain to begin with. But yeah Irish VAT will be changed to Irish orders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 baldur1

Finally got a 6900xt in an amd drop earlier this month. Very happy!

Advertisement