Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi man beat to a pulp in tallaght.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

I've worked in the city centre for 30 years and the number of serious incidents I've seen could be counted on the fingers of one hand. So all this 'the city centre is a war zone!!!!' hyperbole is utter nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I didn’t suggest Larry, did I Matt. I hoped to get the existing system working.

He's firm but fair ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    What about the new government policy of putting a family of welfare recipients in a new housing estate, alongside people with huge mortgages. Will this work? Will young Beyoncé end up studying law in Trinity?

My cousin told the career guidance/music teacher he wanted to go to college. Not only did he get no encouragement but he was literally laughed at. Advised to try for a trade. He teaches at a college now despite lack of support, but how many would have given up?
    Environment and socio-economics have a hell of a lot to do with how you turn out.
    McDermotX wrote: »
    Scumbags gotta scumbag.

It's their nature, a by-product of a mismanaged and misguided social/cultural safety net.

Best to nuke the island from orbit and start again because there's only one direction we're heading, so we might as well get there sooner.

And would you be leaving Ahern, Lowry, Flynn and Noonan behind to start the new breed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I've worked in the city centre for 30 years and the number of serious incidents I've seen could be counted on the fingers of one hand. So all this 'the city centre is a war zone!!!!' hyperbole is utter nonsense.

I myself have never seen an incident of racism play out in real life.

Therefore, racism doesn't exist and it's all made up!

Life is so simple ain't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

sugarman wrote: »
    The city centre is a densely populated sprawl. Just because you never witnessed anything in a small time frame each morning / evening on your commute in a confined area doesnt mean nothing happens!

I agree with you that calling it a warzone is both an extreme and an exaggeration but theres definitely large black spots throughout the city that are no go's and lack a serious police presence.

I'm not saying nothing happens, I'm saying relatively little happens, or more likely a similar amount happens here as would happen in any densely populated urban area on Earth.

And it's not just my commute I'm talking about; I travel (on foot) in and around the city centre as part of my job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You're comparing Dublin to war torn Sudan? Jesus wept.

Incorrect. Poster was comparing war-torn Dublin to war-torn Sudan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

sugarman wrote: »
    but theres definitely large black spots throughout the city that are no go's and lack a serious police presence.

Nothing worse then any other major european city. Loads of people walk around the city cetre at night with nothing happening to them.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Nothing worse then any other major european city. Loads of people walk around the city cetre at night with nothing happening to them.

And some get assaulted and threatened with knives in broad daylight. Is it so hard to grasp that just because the majority of people don't have their heads smashed in, some do - like this taxi driver?

Also Dublin is not a major city. These major cities have populations larger than all of Ireland combined let alone Dublin. And they have multiple major activity hubs. Dublin has 1, the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

The_Brood wrote: »

And some get assaulted and threatened with knives in broad daylight. Is it so hard to grasp that just because the majority of people don't have their heads smashed in, some do - like this taxi driver?

Also Dublin is not a major city. These major cities have populations larger than all of Ireland combined let alone Dublin. And they have multiple major activity hubs. Dublin has 1, the city centre.
    A tiny, miniscule minority of people in Dublin get attacked

Your words were "it's incredibly dangerous to go anywhere near the city" which is complete b0ll0cks tbh

You make it sound like it's on a par with trying to run across the M50 during rush hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

You can be invisible to the ferals if you are, say middle aged, male preferably, or even from mid late 30s on. And you don’t stand out. And you don’t answer back when shouted at. And you are white (my partner isn’t). And not gay I assume - despite what the rest of Middle Ireland thinks.

Earlier in he thread there was a report about ten year olds on the dart harassing somebody racially, just another day of the dart.

That’s the life of lots of people in Ireland but maybe not yours, it doesn’t mean it’s not an uncomfortable city for many.

• Advertisement

Now your just been dramatic, of course there's attacks but these thing happen in other city's too, no city can be crime free. If your sensible walking around Dublin is quite safe. As we live in Ireland Dublin IS a major city.

Now your just been dramatic, of course there's attacks but these thing happen in other city's too, no city can be crime free. If your sensible walking around Dublin is quite safe. As we live in Ireland Dublin IS a major city.

I and all others passing through the street today under a council house were pelted with raw potatoes and eggs, hitting cars and buses as well - ironically just as I was coming home to reply. Far from the first time either. Believe it whether you want to or not.

I'm done replying. Some people are blind beyond reason. Which is another big problem - people too blind/uncaring to help their fellow people when incidents happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

I left Dublin in 2009. Best decision I ever made. The place is a ****hole and always has been, full of aggressive, feral morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I left Dublin in 2009. Best decision I ever made. The place is a ****hole and always has been, full of aggressive, feral morons.

Bye

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    What about the new government policy of putting a family of welfare recipients in a new housing estate, alongside people with huge mortgages. Will this work? Will young Beyoncé end up studying law in Trinity?

I know a developer who traded the social housing in one place for extra social housing in another to keep one estate more exclusive. I'm sure it's not uncommon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Honestly if people think Dublin is dangerous or rough they really need to get out and travel a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Just another victim of hard left social policy that punishes workers and rewards dirty filthy scoungers.

But hey...keep on giving free cash and houses to these animals, it's only fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Just another victim of hard left social policy that punishes workers and rewards dirty filthy scoungers.

But hey...keep on giving free cash and houses to these animals, it's only fair.

:confused: How do you know they got "free cash and houses"?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

You can be invisible to the ferals if you are, say middle aged, male preferably, or even from mid late 30s on. And you don’t stand out. And you don’t answer back when shouted at. And you are white (my partner isn’t). And not gay I assume - despite what the rest of Middle Ireland thinks.

Earlier in he thread there was a report about ten year olds on the dart harassing somebody racially, just another day of the dart.

That’s the life of lots of people in Ireland but maybe not yours, it doesn’t mean it’s not an uncomfortable city for many.
    This is also the same everywhere. Honestly, you people need to go and live in other cities. Try being gay in Moscow or Jewish in Marseille. Get some ****ing perspective lads.

I'm done replying. Some people are blind beyond reason. Which is another big problem - people too blind/uncaring to help their fellow people when incidents happen.

Helping others can be dangerous though, all you can do is call the guards. People are just telling you what they see which happens to be a mostly very safe city.

Another riddiculous exaduration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Lovely. Please let us know where you moved to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Ballso wrote: »
    This is also the same everywhere. Honestly, you people need to go and live in other cities. Try being gay in Moscow or Jewish in Marseille. Get some ****ing perspective lads.

The same everywhere is not a legitimate argument. Also I doubt you live in either of those cities. I’ve lived in 4 cities outside Ireland.

I mean are you saying we shouldn’t hope to be better than the treatment of gays in Moscow and/or Jews in Marseille? What kind of argument is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

Millions of Irish taxpayers got beaten to a pulp by a group of bankers, politicians and developers a few years back. Fairly savage stuff and the IFSC is dangerous as f*ck, full of scumbags.

Advertisement