Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi man beat to a pulp in tallaght.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

AulWan wrote: »
    Here we go, something bad happens and as usual the assumption is made that the attackers must be from Jobstown, because they travelled to Jobstown.

They were picked up in Saggart, not Jobstown. But hey, assume away.

3 mentions of jobstown in the thread, 1st was a poster answering where it happened (not where they're from), the other 2 mentions are your own above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Is Jobstown supposed to be ironic or is it just a hilarious coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

Pissartist wrote: »
    Well we are only hearing one side of the story, yes what happened is awful, but were they provoked ?

Ah feck away off with that nonsense, twat :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Here we go, something bad happens and as usual the assumption is made that the attackers must be from Jobstown, because they travelled to Jobstown.

They were picked up in Saggart, not Jobstown. But hey, assume away.

3 mentions of jobstown in the thread, 1st was a poster answering where it happened (not where they're from), the other 2 mentions are your own above.

We all know what direction this thread is going in...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭blackwhite

SusieBlue wrote: »
    You have to provide an email address, contact number and card details to register for an account.
    So yes, the app will be able to verify who these scumbags were, and they'll be a lot more identifiable than they would have been if they had just flagged him down on the street. There's a paper trail now.

No requirement to provide card details unless you want to pay using the card.

Unregistered pay as you go phone and a throwaway gmail account (i.e. scumbag1@gmail.com) are all that's needed.

Unless these knackbags were stupid enough to use a billphone, or a phone registered in their own names, it's unlikely that MyTaxi actually have identifying info on them.

Most likely case is Gardaí can use their common pick-up or drop-off locations combined with description from the victim to catch them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

We all know what direction this thread is going in...

Direction? As in from Saggart to Tallaght?

Update: 6 now (not including quotes)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

says who though ? I'm just saying there is two sides to every story.
    He didn't deserve the beating obviously but there is an elephant in the room no one will mention.

Tell us what the elephant in the room is?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

He didn't deserve the beating obviously but there is an elephant in the room no one will mention.

Enlighten us oh wise one

Be the one to mention said elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

blackwhite wrote: »
    No requirement to provide card details unless you want to pay using the card.

Unregistered pay as you go phone and a throwaway gmail account (i.e. scumbag1@gmail.com) are all that's needed.

Unless these knackbags were stupid enough to use a billphone, or a phone registered in their own names, it's unlikely that MyTaxi actually have identifying info on them.

Most likely case is Gardaí can use their common pick-up or drop-off locations combined with description from the victim to catch them.

There are more verification steps involved in using an app than there is in flagging down a taxi on the street.

I'm quite aware there are steps that criminals can take to avoid revealing their identities, but I don't think its an outrageous suggestion that they might be easier to catch based on the fact that they used an app.

The person I was replying to was suggesting it was a preposterous suggestion - it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

You do yeah, it'll be linked to an email address or phone number.

Of course those can be stolen, the phone may well have been stolen.

Probably as you said phone stolen with app on it, having nicked drivers phones they would likely have 2 new accounts to pull the stunt with as most drivers have the driver and customer app on their phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ilovemycharlie

These scumbags should be euthanized. awful carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ilovemycharlie

All there seems to be around these days is lefties and scumbags, the country is truly ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭blackwhite

SusieBlue wrote: »
    There are more verification steps involved in using an app than there is in flagging down a taxi on the street.

I'm quite aware there are steps that criminals can take to avoid revealing their identities, but I don't think its an outrageous suggestion that they might be easier to catch based on the fact that they used an app.

The person I was replying to was suggesting it was a preposterous suggestion - it isn't.

Have you ever actually used MyTaxi?

There's no requirement to register a debit or credit card unless you select the card payment option. You've originally claimed it's required - it isn't.

If you choose to make cash bookings then you can still use the app without one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

blackwhite wrote: »
    Have you ever actually used MyTaxi?

There's no requirement to register a debit or credit card unless you select the card payment option. You've originally claimed it's required - it isn't.

If you choose to make cash bookings then you can still use the app without one

What's with the patronising tone?
    Its actually called FreeNow, the name has changed. I use it regularly.
    When I signed up for my account several years ago card details were required. Maybe they aren't any more, hence I made no mention of it in my reply to you and didn't dispute the fact. I'll take your word for it.
    But the point I was actually making remains.

They are more identifiable because they used the app than they would have been if they had flagged him down on the street. That's all I'm saying. Go argue about credit cards with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Definitely not required now anyway Susie, only started using it recently myself and you have a choice to enter card details or not.

BTW why the hell do they keep changing the name?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Boxing.Fan wrote: »
    Tell us what the elephant in the room is?

It's obvious, and no if you need it explained to you there's no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The pink killer

It's obvious, and no if you need it explained to you there's no point.

what cause he's foreign ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

im sure the usual heads will be along to defend tallaght any time soon now.

Jobstown is an absolute kip , it is one of the roughest areas in dublin and you couldn't pay me to live there. Every day its another story about some innocent person doing their job and having to pay a violent price for such.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Boxing.Fan

what cause he's foreign ?

Probably thinks hes a sexcase because a couple of other muslim taxi drivers were caught doing naughty things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Jobstown is an absolute kip , it is one of the roughest areas in dublin and you couldn't pay me to live there. Every day its another story about some innocent person doing their job and having to pay a violent price for such.

It's a dump. But what can be done?

• Advertisement

That the area in question has a lot of social housing and that some people on here would like to believe that its a coincidental link that the more social housing you have the more violence and crime happens in an area but deep down everyone in the country knows that the two are completely linked and the scum that did this are with a 99% confidence interval imo living off the taxpayers teat in a free* house

*before the usual voices echo from the cheap seats,30 euro a week for a house in dublin when that 30 comes off the social makes it free.

That the area in question has a lot of social housing and that some people on here would like to believe that its a coincidental link that the more social housing you have the more violence and crime happens in an area but deep down everyone in the country knows that the two are completely linked and the scum that did this are with a 99% confidence interval imo living off the taxpayers teat in a free* house

*before the usual voices echo from the cheap seats,30 euro a week for a house in dublin when that 30 comes off the social makes it free.

Agreed. But what can be done?

Blueshoe wrote: »
    It's a dump. But what can be done?

pallisade fencing around green areas, constant garda checkpoints and armed patrols 24/7 on all routes in and out of the area and an overhaul of the criminal justice system to have mandatory 10 year + sentences handed out to people with more than 3 previous convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

jobstown has terrible issues but there are plenty of normal lower middle class places in Tallaght. Silly generalisations just show up people's ignorance about the area.

pallisade fencing around green areas, constant garda checkpoints and armed patrols 24/7 on all routes in and out of the area and an overhaul of the criminal justice system to have mandatory 10 year + sentences handed out to people with more than 3 previous convictions.

Great but what can be done in real life?

Ballso wrote: »
    jobstown has terrible issues but there are plenty of normal lower middle class places in Tallaght. Silly generalisations just show up people's ignorance about the area.

every area has 'bad parts' but come on , every part of tallaght was bad at some point and only became better when the people doing the crimes got too old.

Oldbawn - kip , springfield - kip, jobstown - kip, fettercairn - kip. The issue with tallaght is its a few nice estates surrounded by absolute trash , every other area is a trash estate surrounded by a load of nice ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Everytime I'm getting a taxi home late at night always think how easy it would be to **** around with the driver and get away with it on those dark sometimes hidden streets. Once you get off the main roads going into Tallaght then Saggart Citywest and Rathcoole its all incredibly quite and dark after a certain time.

Plus you have the Naas road and all the land around citywest to dissappear into.

Jobstown has always been a mess no point trying to defend it or ignore it there's all kinds living around there and it connects to loads of other rough parts of Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

every area has 'bad parts' but come on , every part of tallaght was bad at some point and only became better when the people doing the crimes got too old.

Oldbawn - kip , springfield - kip, jobstown - kip, fettercairn - kip. The issue with tallaght is its a few nice estates surrounded by absolute trash , every other area is a trash estate surrounded by a load of nice ones.
    nonsense, old Bawn is nothing like those other areas, it's private estates with far higher levels of employment. You clearly don't know the area. The angry man anti scumbag fetish thing you do on this website is cringeworthy mate. Maybe get a life.

Ballso wrote: »
    nonsense, old Bawn is nothing like those other areas, it's private estates with far higher levels of employment. You clearly don't know the area. The angry man anti scumbag fetish thing you do on this website is cringeworthy mate. Maybe get a life.

This is my issue, not as bad anymore but its because a lot of those houses were built in the 80s , the teenagers are all gone and their parents are facing retirement age now. Over 75% of the estates in tallaght have a history of being crime blackspots in dublin.

Some are alright now, some new ones will hecome problems when the urchins all reach 13-14 years old . It all works in cycles. Its jobstowns time to shine now.

Theres also a massive disconnect from people who grew up there. To people from there the gangs of kids riding round at 1am on bikes and minor antisocial hehaviour is normal, has to escalate to a stabbing before you’ll call it a bad incident. To people who grew up in normal middle class areas that stuff is completely mental and intimidating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Old Bawn is most definitely not a kip . Clearly you haven’t a clue

Advertisement