Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

And by the 3rd set of lights he'd been arrested :)

Brave sould racing the guards, I always figure they're trying to bump up the numbers when they start messing about trying to wind people up

In fairness, I wasn't the one doing the racing. I was just doing my normal accelerate from a standstill to the speed limit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

liamog wrote: »
    In fairness, I wasn't the one doing the racing. I was just doing my normal accelerate from a standstill to the speed limit :D

It's pretty difficult to resist racing off from the line, especially when I see any cars with aftermarket spoilers or exhaust kits attached :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

It's pretty difficult to resist racing off from the line, especially when I see any cars with aftermarket spoilers or exhaust kits attached :D

It's not quite physically impossible to avoid beating most ICE cars off the line, but it's close. Anytime I have a Garda beside me at the lights, I turn on the i3's Eco Pro+ mode because it significantly limits acceleration. You never know what nonsense law they'd conjure up to give you a fine if they were in a bad mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Orebro

It's difficult to resist the traffic light grand prix even in the humble Leaf, in the City you're just gone before most ICE have left the clutch out :D

Orebro wrote: »
    It's difficult to resist the traffic light grand prix even in the humble Leaf, in the City you're just gone before most ICE have left the clutch out :D

I've seen quite a few Audi and BMW drivers in my rear view mirror with their jaws around their ankles as they saw a Leaf speed away from them at the traffic lights :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I've seen quite a few Audi and BMW drivers in my rear view mirror with their jaws around their ankles as they saw a Leaf speed away from them at the traffic lights :D

It's the best thing you will do for the environment today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Those aftermarket attachments make the cat slower. There’s a reason there “aftermarket” if a better slip stream could be achieved by a Bora with a spoiler VW would have fitted one. Also big bore exhausts are actually illegal due to noise and emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Kramer wrote: »
    That could push a non white, entry level Model 3 SR+, with FSD, up to close to €65k :eek:.
    Ouch :(.
    Anyone ordering FSD at the same time as they order their new Tesla needs their head examining as they'll have to pay additional VRT for a €7,500 feature that they can simply buy VRT free the day they collect their car.

OK, I'll change it for you.........
    That could push a non white, entry level Model 3 SR+, with FSD (added later), up to close to €65k :eek:.
    Ouch :(.

:P.

Even if Elon finally passes on the $3k he's saving on the cheaper batteries, to Irish customers, which he did for €uropean buyers already, it'll still struggle to come in sub €50k in non white, so miss out on the €5k grant.

I'd say Hyundai/Kia/VW have more leeway to stay within the €50k too - especially VW, no tarriff on their €uropean produced cars.

The Berlin facility will allow Elon to avoid that 10% tarriff too. Maybe then Model 3 SRs will be safe, until they get rid of the grant entirely, which won't be long either IMO :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Those aftermarket attachments make the cat slower

1qr0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Orebro

It's one of the first things that turned my attention to the world of EVs after I had my arse handed to me at the lights by a Leaf around 5 years ago, serious WTF moment - had always assumed they were as slow as molasses before that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's the best thing you will do for the environment today.
    The best thing you can do for the environment is a) not buy any new car and b) walk everywhere

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

OI'd say Hyundai/Kia/VW have more leeway to stay within the €50k too - especially VW, no tarriff on their €uropean produced cars.

No tariffs between Korea and the EU on automotive since about 2015. We may see Hyundai and Kia drop the spec level of their EVs to bring them under the grants. It will be a whole new version of Paddy Spec cars.

No tariffs between Korea and the EU on automotive since about 2015. We may see Hyundai and Kia drop the spec level of their EVs to bring them under the grants. It will be a whole new version of Paddy Spec cars.

To be fair, some budget spec EVs would be good to see, a lot of short range daily drivers don't care about the luxuries and just want a car to get from A to B

To be fair, some budget spec EVs would be good to see, a lot of short range daily drivers don't care about the luxuries and just want a car to get from A to B

True, but the irritating thing about Paddy Spec is that you don't get a choice.

Make the basic version by all means. But if you're going to strip €5k worth of stuff out of the car, then let me pay the €5k to add it back in if I choose to do so.

Although if they did do that, it would be more like strip €4k of stuff out and charge €6k to put it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

ELM327 wrote: »
    The best thing you can do for the environment is a) not buy any new car and b) walk everywhere

'I'd say you're fun at parties, but then I'm a compulsive liar.

DrPhilG wrote: »

Make the basic version by all means. But if you're going to strip €5k worth of stuff out of the car, then let me pay the €5k to add it back in if I choose to do so.

Although if they did do that, it would be more like strip €4k of stuff out and charge €6k to put it back.

Agh the paddy spec I remember a time when....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

It will be a whole new version of Paddy Spec cars.

Oh dear God no :(.
    Then again, it seems Paddy likes getting shafted, so windie window handles & cloth seats it is then!
    To be fair, some budget spec EVs would be good to see

But budget here will mean €40k+.

The trouble is, adding back in that €5k worth of "luxury extras" (powered windows, a radio, steering wheel etc. :D), will cost €10k if it exceeds the grant cap, which it will.

The trouble is, adding back in that €5k worth of "luxury extras" (powered windows, a radio, steering wheel etc. :D), will cost €10k if it exceeds the grant cap, which it will.

Going forward, yes. But even then if someone is rich enough and stupid enough then give them the option.

But it was the same with every other car before these changes.

Fair point, and unfortunately it'll likely get worse across the board since importing a cheaper, higher spec car from the UK isn't an option anymore

Fair point, and unfortunately it'll likely get worse across the board since importing a cheaper, higher spec car from the UK isn't an option anymore

When VW start adding a car alarm as an option it’s a sign of things to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

looks like I am about to fall in to the BEV abyss .... we replaced one car with a BMW 330e last year and were going to hold on to the old diesel estate for a while but with lock down and a few issues with the car I've decided that if it isn't being moved / driven it will just sit down and die on me.

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a new Leaf SVE 40KwH ... range isn't a big issue on this car as the BMW is the 'good' car.

is there any wise words from the regulars here who would advise against it ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

whippet wrote: »
    I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a new Leaf SVE 40KwH ... range isn't a big issue on this car as the BMW is the 'good' car.

is there any wise words from the regulars here who would advise against it ?

How much would that Leaf set you back?

How much would that Leaf set you back?

about €24k .. including scrappage on my old yoke.

whippet wrote: »
    about €24k .. including scrappage on my old yoke.

Thats not too bad..

Downside (though it's really an upside) is CHAdeMO fast charging is capped at 60kW for 'if' you'd ever need to fast charge on a long journey... Reason I say upside is because 50% of the eCars fast charging network is effectively exclusively for the Nissan Leaf.

But given you have the Beemer for the longer drives, I'd guess 100% of the Leaf charging will be done at home?

If size wasn't an issue, you could also look at the Zoe ZE50 - 395 km range WLTP for a €27k car (before scrappage) is outstanding in my opinion.. You also get the added benefit of CCS (means you can use Ionity chargers on long trips).

Whats the WLTP range in the 40kWh Leaf? edit: I see it's 270km

Thats not too bad..

Downside (though it's really an upside) is CHAdeMO fast charging is capped at 60kW for 'if' you'd ever need to fast charge on a long journey... Reason I say upside is because 50% of the eCars fast charging network is effectively exclusively for the Nissan Leaf.

But given you have the Beemer for the longer drives, I'd guess 100% of the Leaf charging will be done at home?

If size wasn't an issue, you could also look at the Zoe ZE50 - 395 km range WLTP for a €27k car (before scrappage) is outstanding in my opinion.. You also get the added benefit of CCS (means you can use Ionity chargers on long trips).

Whats the WLTP range in the 40kWh Leaf?

its quoted at 270km .. realistically I wouldn't need anymore than that - as the BMW would be the car that would be for the longer trips. Even in the BMW with 45km range it covers most daily driving in EV mode

the Zoe would be too small .. have two kids!

I'd say almost all charging would be done at home as we can park both cars side by side at the charger and the BMW gets a full charge in 3 hours so isn't plugged in all the time

if that's the case would you even consider going 2nd hand?

You could probably pick up an older (smaller battery) Leaf that would still do everything you needed, but keep €10k - €12k in your pocket...

Is your home charger tethered? as I believe only the newer LEaf's have the type 2 socket on them (older ones are type 1 only I believe?)

if that's the case would you even consider going 2nd hand?

You could probably pick up an older (smaller battery) Leaf that would still do everything you needed, but keep €10k - €12k in your pocket...

Is your home charger tethered? as I believe only the newer LEaf's have the type 2 socket on them (older ones are type 1 only I believe?)

I'd buy new alright - its one of my weaknesses - I've never bought a 2nd hand car .. I tend to keep mine for 8 years or so while the wife changes every three years.

The charger we have isn't tethered .. and the BMW uses a type2

Would you not go balls out and get a Tesla Model 3? double the price of the Leaf, but quadruple the fun!!!!
    Our intention is to keep ours for at least 8-10 years...

It would also quickly relegate the BMW down to auxiliary car....

Would you not go balls out and get a Tesla Model 3? double the price of the Leaf, but quadruple the fun!!!!
    Our intention is to keep ours for at least 8-10 years...

It would also quickly relegate the BMW down to auxiliary car....

after dropping 50k on the BMW last year this one is most definitely the 'second' car in the house. also - I just don't like the Tesla - I did consider it last year and the BMW won over by a large margin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Apologise if mentioned already.
    But I see Energia are doing an EV Package rate for electric vehicles to be charged at night. For me having a night meter its 4 cents. Thats a big difference to the 9 cents I'm paying at the moment.

Advertisement