Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

The far right are a far deadlier threat with that weaponry which was seized today, well done the Italian police getting that huge missile off the streets.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48987723
    Anti-terrorism police in northern Italy have seized an air-to-air missile and other sophisticated weapons during raids on far-right extremist groups.

Three people were arrested, two of them near Forli airport. Neo-Nazi propaganda was also seized, in the raids.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Are you hoping someone here will will disagree with you??

Nobody on Boards supports far right extremist violence.

Far left extremist violence though? Well, that's another matter.

alastair wrote:
    I’ve posted more than one scientific article confirming that it is. Feel free to refute with some different scientific evidence, or don’t, but save the tantrums.

In one of your articles, it was claimed that sex should be measured on a spectrum.

That is patently false. If you need me to link you to evidence that there are men, women and in exceptionally rare occassions, intersex people, then you are beyond help.

Open a biology book or look in your underwear.

And your parting shot of "save the tantrums" is typical of the posting style of people who share your opinion. I wasn't having a tantrum. I simply was giving my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

alastair wrote: »
    He’s a Republican candidate - seems pretty mainstream - and like I say - take your pick - he’s one of many.

Here’s a local reactionary mouthpiece:
    https://twitter.com/dvatw/status/1150343517505490945?s=21
    Never heard of David Vance. Regardless, your two examples are proof positive of 'right wingers are losing their minds.' Really? What do you call it when someone posts something of real importance?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Are you hoping someone here will will disagree with you??

Nobody on Boards supports far right extremist violence.

Far left extremist violence though? Well, that's another matter.

Ah right... The far left supports but the far right doesnt.... Tyats weird I could have sworn there was a lot of far right support for arson attacks on hotels in Ireland.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

notobtuse wrote: »
    Never heard of David Vance. Regardless, your two examples are proof positive of 'right wingers are losing their minds.' Really? What do you call it when someone posts something of real importance?

David Vance is a well known right-winger. I can’t really be accountable for gaps in your knowledge. Right wingers most definitely had mickey fits over the whole 007 thing.

In one of your articles, it was claimed that sex should be measured on a spectrum.

That is patently false. If you need me to link you to evidence that there are men, women and in exceptionally rare occassions, intersex people, then you are beyond help.

Open a biology book or look in your underwear.

And your parting shot of "save the tantrums" is typical of the posting style of people who share your opinion. I wasn't having a tantrum. I simply was giving my opinion.

It’s not patently false. You’re simply sticking your fingers in your ears in the face of the scientific evidence. I note you can’t support your ‘opinion’ with actual scientific evidence. Like I say - a tantrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

what I like about the bond thing , similar to every other movie playing diversity-switcheroo-boogaloo is that the only 'outrage' I hear is people on the left screaming 'the right are going mad about it' , never the actual right. Nobody outside of basement dwellers really give a crap about who plays who in a film. People who don't like it just won't go and see it rather than protest or give out.

But ofcourse on top of inventing false outrage, the same voices on the left will also blame the right if the movie tanks, it'll have to be racisms fault or something rather than just 'its not that good a film when you change the formula'

what I like about the bond thing , similar to every other movie playing diversity-switcheroo-boogaloo is that the only 'outrage' I hear is people on the left screaming 'the right are going mad about it' , never the actual right. Nobody outside of basement dwellers really give a crap about who plays who in a film. People who don't like it just won't go and see it rather than protest or give out.

But ofcourse on top of inventing false outrage, the same voices on the left will also blame the right if the movie tanks, it'll have to be racisms fault or something rather than just 'its not that good a film when you change the formula'

I’d suggest you go review where the outrage stems from in the twitter sphere, and check out their political perspective. Nothing false about acknowledging it.

https://twitter.com/tejasgooner/status/1150407527370252290?s=21

https://twitter.com/dan_depot/status/1150459129116483592?s=21

ahh , a constant reminder of why I never have been or will be signed up to twitter.

• Advertisement

ahh , a constant reminder of why I never have been or will be signed up to twitter.

And a possible reason why it’s never too clever to offer your perspective from your head in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Ah right... The far left supports but the far right doesnt.... Tyats weird I could have sworn there was a lot of far right support for arson attacks on hotels in Ireland.

I said nobody on Boards supports "far right extremist violence".

The only reason the user posted the BBC article on a thread about Antifa was in a whataboutery way also, as it was not in reply to any post.

David Vance is a well known right-winger. I can’t really be accountable for gaps in your knowledge. Right wingers most definitely had mickey fits over the whole 007 thing.
    Where's he from? And hate to break it to you but right wingers couldn't care less about 007 for the most part. If they don't want to see a movie they simply won't go. Oh, the humanity?

And since right wingers are somehow going going off the deep end over this (according to you), do you think they'll host some Antifa type of violence outside movie theaters? If you do I have a bridge in NYC to sell you.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Where's he from? And hate to break it to you but right wingers couldn't care less about 007 for the most part. If they don't want to see a movie they simply won't go. Oh, the humanity?

He’s from Belfast. Most people don’t care about 007 - period. But the bleating about this casting decision is coming from one political direction alone.

And a possible reason why it’s never too clever to offer your perspective from your head in the sand.

I wouldnt say head in the sand now. Ignoring twitter there is a massive disparity.

how many articles were in papers , or topics on radio started by somebody saying "i don't like this new film because its a woman or trans or whatever other crap theyre peddling now" - none really . However multiple irish and UK op ed writers and radio hosts had extended discussions about how 'people were going mad about the switch and its all awful" inflating it as if it were actually an issue.

There is no named / known / public voice saying anything about this bond movie or any of the other ones , but theres a lot of voices reacting to the things that children on twitter say.

I wouldnt say head in the sand now. Ignoring twitter there is a massive disparity.

how many articles were in papers , or topics on radio started by somebody saying "i don't like this new film because its a woman or trans or whatever other crap theyre peddling now" - none really . However multiple irish and UK op ed writers and radio hosts had extended discussions about how 'people were going mad about the switch and its all awful" inflating it as if it were actually an issue.

There is no named / known / public voice saying anything about this bond movie or any of the other ones , but theres a lot of voices reacting to the things that children on twitter say.

Ehh, I just quoted a couple above.

Ehh, I just quoted a couple above.

no, you quoted 3 replies by people all without real profile pictures responding to a NYP article just telling people that the change happened. Those 3 people are just , as above, basement dwellers. Can you show me where any actual journalist is outraged ? , because give it a week and ill show you a few who are outraged at the outrage

no, you quoted 3 replies by people all without real profile pictures responding to a NYP article just telling people that the change happened. Those 3 people are just , as above, basement dwellers. Can you show me where any actual journalist is outraged ? , because give it a week and ill show you a few who are outraged at the outrage

The ‘basement dwellers’ are a republican congressional candidate with a million followers on YouTube, and a political commentator who gets regular tv time for his brand of reactionary right wing politics.

If you want a right-wing journo twofer - how about Celia Walden? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/phoebe-waller-bridges-black-female-007-worst-kind-virtue-signalling/

He’s from Belfast. Most people don’t care about 007 - period. But the bleating about this casting decision is coming from one political direction alone.
    Thanks. Then this 007 brouhaha must be a big thing over across the pond for right wingers. Here in the US we mostly just have a chuckle over it. I've been watching but so far nobody here has jumped out of the 20th floor of any skyscrapers... yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Italian police have found an arsenal of weapons, including an air-to-air missile, 20 guns and neo-Nazi material, in a series of raids on far right groups in several cities in northern Italy on Monday.

Should have just chatted to them in the marketplace of ideas to convince them of the error of their ways

The US president posting blatantly racist tweets.

Antifa are far away from being a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

20Cent wrote: »
    Italian police have found an arsenal of weapons, including an air-to-air missile, 20 guns and neo-Nazi material, in a series of raids on far right groups in several cities in northern Italy on Monday.

Should have just chatted to them in the marketplace of ideas to convince them of the error of their ways

The US president posting blatantly racist tweets.

Antifa are far away from being a problem.

bull****

they are just a different kind of problem

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

mynamejeff wrote: »
    bull****

Antifa are the same type individual as the far right, usually just from nicer parts.

One restraining factor for Antifa types is they have more to lose, status in society, inheritances, white collar jobs, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Danzy wrote: »
    Antifa are the same type individual as the far right, usually just from nicer parts.

One restraining factor for Antifa types is they have more to lose, status in society, inheritances, white collar jobs, etc.

Have you any sources etc to show that these antifa people are from affluent backgrounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

mynamejeff wrote: »
    bull****

Missiles, weapons cache.
    A lad getting a box.

The exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

20Cent wrote: »
    Missiles, weapons cache.
    A lad getting a box.

The exact same.

Hoarding weapons to attack immigrants is the same as giving the kind of person who supports attacking immigrants a slap. /s

20Cent wrote:
    Missiles, weapons cache. A lad getting a box.

Difference is nobody condones a weapons cache. You will defend a lad getting a box
    20Cent wrote:
    The exact same.

Nobody said they were. As was said, nobody here condones the Italians with the missiles. You condone antifa.

Difference is nobody condones a weapons cache. You will defend a lad getting a box

Yeah, that's the biggest difference...

Imreoir2 wrote:
    Yeah, that's the biggest difference...

It is quite a difference. Nobody on this thread has even hinted at condoning right wing violence. Most, if not all, find it appalling. This is where we should find common ground.

But instead of accepting that, every time there is right wing terrorists, we have the likes of you and others saying "see? You guys are the worst".

Hating antifa does not equate to supporting right wing extremists.

Supporting antifa does equate to supporting left wing violence.

It is quite a difference. Nobody on this thread has even hinted at condoning right wing violence. Most, if not all, find it appalling. This is where we should find common ground.

But instead of accepting that, every time there is right wing terrorists, we have the likes of you and others saying "see? You guys are the worst".

Hating antifa does not equate to supporting right wing extremists.

Supporting antifa does equate to supporting left wing violence.

Supporting antifa, however, does not equate to supporting right wing terrorists.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 136 ✭✭FartyBlartFast

A YouTuber is your example? There’s no shortage of goofs in this world, running for office and otherwise, and not representative of mainstream groups.
    Thats not a random nobody, that is a three time elected official in the USA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement