Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,508 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Overheal wrote: »
    Depends who you ask. Seems rather fluid.

It isn't.

Extremist views on either end of the left right spectrum tend to have room for violence. Being violent doesn't make you a fascist, even though being violent or fascist aren't things anyone should aspire to be.

nullzero wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't fascism a right wing ideology?

The incitement of violence isn't necessarily a hallmark of fascism, left wing people can be violent without suddenly becoming fascist.

In fairness, the poster is a big fan of Trump so by default he's swaying to the right rather than the left. So he's endorsing an authoritarian handling of a situation via an unidentifiable police force. So he's leaning more in the direction of fascism than communism...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Cool, so you're calling for people to be shot and potentially killed... During protests on police brutality which is a very real issue and against the wishes of governors in the affected states. You want to make a situation worse. You also seem to be somewhat in denial that there is a very real issue in the police.

Yes. Military like sharpshooter from rooftops. Then in the panic close in on protesters from 3 sides funneling them towards an industrial mulcher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't fascism a right wing ideology?

The incitement of violence isn't necessarily a hallmark of fascism, left wing people can be violent without suddenly becoming fascist.
    No, basically the idea that fascism is solely limited to right wing is a type of propaganda of the left.

https://www.thetrumpet.com/16521-did-you-know-google-redefined-the-word-fascism

In fairness, the poster is a big fan of Trump so by default he's swaying to the right rather than the left. So he's endorsing an authoritarian handling of a situation via an unidentifiable police force. So he's leaning more in the direction of fascism than communism...

My point is that fascism and communism both end up resulting in violence and mistreatment of people. Violence isn't the exclusive preserve of fascism.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

So saying someone should be shot makes a person a fascist?

What if a communist were to say it?

It's not a sentiment that is peculiar to fascists would you not agree?

I don’t think calling for people to be shot makes someone a fascist.

I think calling for people to be shot simply because you disagree with their ideas is heading that was though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Yes. Military like sharpshooter from rooftops. Then in the panic close in on protesters from 3 sides funneling them towards an industrial mulcher

Worked really well for the British after Bloody Sunday.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 82,048 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It isn't.

Extremist views on either end of the left right spectrum tend to have room for violence. Being violent doesn't make you a fascist, even though being violent or fascist aren't things anyone should aspire to be.

I'm not sure why you asked me then.

Brian? wrote: »
    Worked really well for the British after Bloody Sunday.

Yeah its the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

This is clearly the product of a well adjusted, civilized, tolerant person.

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    I don’t think calling for people to be shot makes someone a fascist.

I think calling for people to be shot simply because you disagree with their ideas is heading that was though.

Heading that was?

EDIT, I'm guessing you meant "heading that way", apologies for not getting that initially.

My point has been that calling for somebody to be shot because you disagree with them isn't exclusively a fascist notion.

I'm not sure why you asked me then.

I asked you because I had an idea you couldn't define these things properly.

Now call me old fashioned but if you're going to accuse somebody of being a political extremist you should be able to define what makes somebody identifiable as such.

I asked you because I had an idea you couldn't define these things properly.

Now call me old fashioned but if you're going to accuse somebody of being a political extremist you should be able to define what makes somebody identifiable as such.

I can. Thanks.

I can. Thanks.

Well reading through your posts would suggest that you can't. These are things you've written, nobody is making it up and accusing you falsely.

Yeah its the same thing.

Not the same thing. But comparable.

they/them/theirs

Well reading through your posts would suggest that you can't. These are things you've written, nobody is making it up and accusing you falsely.

A shame you've gotten that false impression from my posts.

I haven't.

You throw the word fascist around like it's going out of fashion.

My contention being that perhaps you could regulate where and when you use it after giving consideration for what should qualify somebody as being fascist.

I haven't.

You throw the word fascist around like it's going out of fashion.

My contention being that perhaps you could regulate where and when you use it after giving consideration for what should qualify somebody as being fascist.

Because I used it once?

What other time are you referring to?

Because I used it once?

What other time are you referring to?

I've observed you use it on more than one occasion.
    The search function on the touch site isn't optimal so I'm unable to dredge through all your posts to cite examples.

Are you contending that you've never used that word here before?

Posting around the clock on boards yet supposedly living in the Us.

Attic in Leitrim perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

you work awful hard to give a false impression , but we all know what you are here really

I've observed you use it on more than one occasion.
    The search function on the touch site isn't optimal so I'm unable to dredge through all your posts to cite examples.

Are you contending that you've never used that word here before?

You’re shifting the goalposts mate. Either demonstrate where I’ve used it, when I’ve used it, and how I’ve used it or drop this infantile nonsense and stop making generalizations about me you can’t back up.

Posting around the clock on boards yet supposedly living in the Us.

Attic in Leitrim perhaps?

You seem frequently obsessed with sniping at me over my posting frequency (I'd point to your several recent examples in feedback as a prime example, but those are since snipped because you violated the charter - here's another), yet you have 15.3 posts per day to my 9.78. You post over one and a half times more frequently than I do. In one post, you even brag about having posted 8 times in an hour.

Also: have you heard of time zones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Nobody in their right mind should be supporting riots. Especially after 50 days, but here we are.

They don't cancel each other out you know. Also they are not helping. The Mayor of Portland called it urban warfare. Trump is using it for electoral purposes so even if you think it's a good idea, he's doing it for purely selfish reasons and the elected Mayor doesn't want them.
    People have gone from complaining that racists should be free to speak, to calling anti-fascists fascists, to complaining about protesters speaking out, to supporting the tyrannical behaviour of Trump.
    Circle of life...on the right

You’re shifting the goalposts mate. Either demonstrate where I’ve used it, when I’ve used it, and how I’ve used it or drop this infantile nonsense and stop making generalizations about me you can’t back up.

I'm not shifting the goalposts at all.

I've seen you use it previously, you have almost 50,000 posts on this site, almost exclusively on topics related in some way to the one being discussed here.

You accused a poster of being a fascist and then demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of what that actually means.

If you mean to tell me that you have never used the word fascist more than once in your almost 50,000 posts on this site I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to take your word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Men ask crowd not to breach the fence, so their voices can be heard.

https://twitter.com/ElijahSchaffer/status/1286535926777143297

A few moments later, one of them is attacked by an Antifa medic.

https://twitter.com/ElijahSchaffer/status/1286545486137053187

BBQ ribs?? The monsters deserve to be shot.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Bowie wrote: »
    They don't cancel each other out you know. Also they are not helping. The Mayor of Portland called it urban warfare. Trump is using it for electoral purposes so even if you think it's a good idea, he's doing it for purely selfish reasons and the elected Mayor doesn't want them.
    t

The elected Mayor wants the city to burn the ground. How dare Trump want to stop that. You're a fool if you don't think the Democrats aren't using these riots for election purposes either.

• Advertisement

Men ask crowd not to breach the fence, so their voices can be heard.

https://twitter.com/ElijahSchaffer/status/1286535926777143297

A few moments later, one of them is attacked by an Antifa medic.

https://twitter.com/ElijahSchaffer/status/1286545486137053187

Taser, arrest, incarcerate

Throw them in proson with Mexican or black gangbangers. They will be crying for mammy by lunch time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement