Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Why are you so concerned that Antifa might be wrongly accused of something?

I don’t he’s concerned. It’s a fair question when you watch the videos linked here. There’s nothing to identify them as any particular group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

and just how have they decided that they were antifa? did they wear name badges?

Ah ye here we go. "It's not a group", "how do you know they were antifa" etc. etc.

Now ofcourse if Antifa were to do something amazing that we all thought was great they'd be easily recognisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jackboy

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I don't know why we insist on referring to Antifa as "far left".

They're anarchists, they get joy from destruction and looting. They have no real political ideology other than causing disruption and chaos.

Exactly. Antifa members typically have a deep hatred for themselves and want to destroy to bring everyone down to their level. They have no true ideology because they believe in nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Brian? wrote: »
    Again, how do we know he’s Antifa and not just some idiot?

As far as I can see people put “Antifa douche/soyboy/thug/idiot” in the tweet and that’s it, they are now Antifa.

It's Antifa's modus operandi

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Why are you so concerned that Antifa might be wrongly accused of something?

Because I find the anti-Antifa hysteria ridiculous and would prefer the truth.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

statesaver wrote: »
    It's Antifa's modus operandi

Let's say I accept that. Is everyone who commits an act of violence against people or property during a protest a member of Antifa?

they/them/theirs

jackboy wrote: »
    Exactly. Antifa members typically have a deep hatred for themselves and want to destroy to bring everyone down to their level. They have no true ideology because they believe in nothing.

This is beyond parody at thus point.

Antifa are now nihilist.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

This is beyond parody at thus point.

Antifa are now nihilist.

They are generally Individuals of low self esteem who hate themselves. Are you going to attempt to claim that they are truly ‘anti fascist’. Now that would be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Could the US not set aside a small area in the States and call it Antifaland, when they get arrested they get the choice to go there or to prison? it seems like it would be a win win for everyone. It would be an interesting social experiment

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

This is great news.

They are generally Individuals of low self esteem who hate themselves. Are you going to attempt to claim that they are truly ‘anti fascist’. Now that would be funny.

They are truly anti fascist, that's about the only belief the myriad of groups associated with Antifa share. Most people are anti fascist, so that's a pretty low bar to achieve. Some of Antifa are violent thugs, I am not going to argue they aren't. I will however demand proof every time someone tweets Antifa are up to something when There is zero evidence Antifa are involved.

How do you know they hate themselves? Is this a wild generalisation mixes with some amateur psychology?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That won’t change much. Antifa wasn’t really an organization so much as a movement.

People will just use a different term and so labeling Antifa terrorist has no teeth. Rebranding is an old card white supremacy groups have been playing for decades, and anti-fascist anarchists will too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

Overheal wrote: »
    That won’t change much. Antifa wasn’t really an organization so much as a movement.

People will just use a different term and so labeling Antifa terrorist has no teeth. Rebranding is an old card white supremacy groups have been playing for decades, and anti-fascist anarchists will too.

Cope.

Overheal wrote: »

Sure, they can use that reasoning when they're up on terrorism charges. I'm sure it will work for them.

Sure, they can use that reasoning when they're up on terrorism charges. I'm sure it will work for them.

When who is up on terrorism charges? Who are antifa? Where is their HQ? How does one join?

They are truly anti fascist, that's about the only belief the myriad of groups associated with Antifa share. Most people are anti fascist, so that's a pretty low bar to achieve. Some of Antifa are violent thugs, I am not going to argue they aren't. I will however demand proof every time someone tweets Antifa are up to something when There is zero evidence Antifa are involved.

How do you know they hate themselves? Is this a wild generalisation mixes with some amateur psychology?

They are not an anti fascist organisation. The vast majority of individuals and organisations that they target are not fascist.

It is clear from their words and actions that they hate themselves and have self esteem issues. Doesn’t take a psychologist to work that out. They never try to debate because they know they are wrong. That is why they scream and destroy.

They are not an anti fascist organisation. The vast majority of individuals and organisations that they target are not fascist.

It is clear from their words and actions that they hate themselves and have self esteem issues. Doesn’t take a psychologist to work that out. They never try to debate because they know they are wrong. That is why they scream and destroy.

Who are they though? Where are they based? Is there a list of memebers? How does one join?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

They come across to me as middle class/Trust fund kids with not much going on in their lives. You don't reckon they have proper careers or getting on with their lives? they certainly don't come across as persecuted ghetto poor?

Antifa just cost BLM the chance to gain some ground and possibly get some police reform if some was needed.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

This just made my day.

It's only 6:20pm but feck it I'm having a beer to celebrate. Cheers motherfúckers. :D

MadYaker wrote: »
    Who are they though? Where are they based? Is there a list of memebers? How does one join?

As I said they are mostly just individuals who hate themselves and are lashing out at the world. The vast majority are not really part of an organisation as such but turn up when they hear there is a ‘protest’.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

As I said they are mostly just individuals who hate themselves and are lashing out at the world. The vast majority are not really part of an organisation as such but turn up when they hear there is a ‘protest’.

Lets see how many of them turn up now, knowing they can face terrorism charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Should have been done a long time ago

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/01/antifa-charlottesville-violence-fbi-242235

Federal authorities have been warning state and local officials since early 2016 that leftist extremists known as “antifa” had become increasingly confrontational and dangerous, so much so that the Department of Homeland Security formally classified their activities as “domestic terrorist violence,” according to interviews and confidential law enforcement documents obtained by POLITICO.

Previously unreported documents disclose that by April 2016, authorities believed that “anarchist extremists” were the primary instigators of violence at public rallies against a range of targets. They were blamed by authorities for attacks on the police, government and political institutions, along with symbols of “the capitalist system,” racism, social injustice and fascism, according to a confidential 2016 joint intelligence assessment by DHS and the FBI.

After designating them as terrorists and it now being a federal issue they'll be looking into funding which should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Worked for the KKK, the alt right and Proud Boys.

Look I’m not defending terrorists who act under the Antifa label. I’m just aware of how easy it is to tar millions of people by the actions of a few: whites, blacks, antifa, proud boys, BLM, the police...

This just made my day.

It's only 6:20pm but feck it I'm having a beer to celebrate. Cheers motherfúckers. :D

What a weird thing to celebrate. How have Antifa ever effected your life?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They have been threading the line for a long time now. Their goal is ultimately violence and usurping the electoral system. Enemies of the State is not an over the top description.

silverharp wrote: »
    They come across to me as middle class/Trust fund kids with not much going on in their lives. You don't reckon they have proper careers or getting on with their lives? they certainly don't come across as persecuted ghetto poor?

They don’t come across as anything to me. The vast majority of tweets I’ve seen posted here don’t even show Antifa. They show people misbehaving and people assuming they are Antifa
    Antifa just cost BLM the chance to gain some ground and possibly get some police reform if some was needed.

Did they? BLM are demonised online almost as much as Antifa. And there doesn’t seem to be any proof Antifa are responsible for the violence. Unless some can share some.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

So they’re just thugs then? How can they be made a terrorist organisation? Is that your own definition or did you get it from somewhere?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement