Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

notobtuse wrote: »
    I don't know how things work where you are from but here the police union leader is one of the police officers and represents the collective voice of the rank and file officers on the force.

That’s not how it works either here or there. He’s periodically elected and given a mandate by the members, ok. But that doesn’t mean everything he says is the voice of the police force, no more than everything Trump says is the voice of the American people or everything Leo says is the voice of the Irish people.

By your logic, the Mayor of Portland is the voice of the entire population of Portland. So he trumps the head of the police union anyway.

Your logic here is terribly flawed.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Quillette publishers of Andy Ngo "journalism" had to remove an article because some guy hoaxed them by writing a fake article to see if they published it.
    They did.

Lol

Articles regarding Portland citizens complaints about their city on the internet and once Portland citizens call-ins to a talk radio show. Homelessness is the biggest complaint. I just just though it was kinda funny as tourists were another standard complaint of theirs. Do you think this is major news to get your knickers all bunched up over?

My knickers remain unbunched. You’re peddling absolute nonsense again.

Far right marches are no problem because too many tourists are visiting Portland. Absolute hogwash.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Brian? wrote: »
    That’s not how it works either here or there. He’s periodically elected and given a mandate by the members, ok. But that doesn’t mean everything he says is the voice of the police force, no more than everything Trump says is the voice of the American people or everything Leo says is the voice of the Irish people.

By your logic, the Mayor of Portland is the voice of the entire population of Portland. So he trumps the head of the police union anyway.

Your logic here is terribly flawed.
    The mayor in Portland is also the police commissioner, but simply a politician. The union head represents the officers. Yes he trumps everyone, but he's just a politician, not an officer. I know who I believe, and it's not the politician who might lose his cushy job over this.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

My knickers remain unbunched. You’re peddling absolute nonsense again.

Far right marches are no problem because too many tourists are visiting Portland. Absolute hogwash.
    Don't shoot the messenger, buddy. Just noting what citizens complain about Portland. Look it up if tourists and donuts are your main concern.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,896 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Don't shoot the messenger, buddy. Just noting what citizens complain about Portland. Look it up if tourists and donuts are your main concern.

Please express, in hundreds of miles, the closest you have ever been to Portland, OR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Overheal wrote:
    Please express, in hundreds of miles, the closest you have ever been to Portland, OR.

Please express, in numbers, how many Nazis you think are in Ireland.

Ironicname wrote: »
    Please express, in numbers, how many Nazis you think are in Ireland.

Relevance?

It’s such a ridiculous thing to bring up in response to a debate about far right and Antifa marches it’s ridiculous.

I drank plenty of coffee and had too many doughnuts in Portland. The people were generally lovely and it’s a very tourist friendly city.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

I'll believe the rank and file police officers who only want to do their jobs.
    Missing the source on this one m8

• Advertisement

Their disgusting and hateful words is considered free speech and is protected under the US Constitution, and not considered domestic terrorism.
    I bet no one ever told you free speech is never completely free, never has been, never will be
    jyW6p2k.jpg

The Antifa song. :D

Can you explain this? Looks like you are doing poor trolling but maybe you have a very interesting point to share but instead you just coyly deferred to a video viewed 30 times by the whole world

It’s such a ridiculous thing to bring up in response to a debate about far right and Antifa marches it’s ridiculous.

I drank plenty of coffee and had too many doughnuts in Portland. The people were generally lovely and it’s a very tourist friendly city.

But how about the two pillars of truth: people sharing stuff on the internet and calling to radio talk shows.

snowblind wrote: »
    I bet no one ever told you free speech is never completely free, never has been, never will be
    jyW6p2k.jpg

As a historical reminder: the Nazis weren’t too overt about what they were doing, either. They planned a lot of this at the Wannsee Conference and did not just go around 1940s twitter blabbing about their intent.

I don't know how things work where you are from but here the police union leader is one of the police officers and represents the collective voice of the rank and file officers on the force.
    A police union’s new video claims that “blue racism” against cops is more racist than actual racism
    A police union’s new video claims that “blue racism” against cops is more racist than actual racism

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Portland, Maine, is the better Portland.
    Just in case you Antifa guys get a job, and it that pays well enough for you to be able to travel there one day.

Antifascists being stomped and attacked by "patriot prayer" thugs same day Andy Ngo got a box. Didn't hear much about this in the news though.

https://twitter.com/identifypdx/status/1160005860170588161

"Proud boys" assaulting more people.
    Didn't make the news though.

https://twitter.com/identifypdx/status/1160414066696830977

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

20Cent wrote: »
    Antifascists being stomped and attacked by "patriot prayer" thugs same day Andy Ngo got a box. Didn't hear much about this in the news though.

I can remember seeing a montage of one of these guys from the "right" side. He had some kind of mask on and carried an American flag on a short pole. This guy was beating the crap out of multiple people on the videos. He was a one man Antifa stomping machine. They would run from him.

A thing of beauty. Almost Marvel hero like.

• Advertisement

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I can remember seeing a montage of one of these guys from the "right" side. He had some kind of mask on and carried an American flag on a short pole. This guy was beating the crap out of multiple people on the videos. He was a one man Antifa stomping machine. They would run from him.

A thing of beauty. Almost Marvel hero like.

If Marvel had a Captain Nazi character.

If Marvel had a Captain Nazi character.

Is everyone who doesn't agree with Antifa a Nazi?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The two sides walk towards each other before the fight starts.
    You make it out to be an attack from one on the other, but in reality both are into fighting as much as the other.

This looks just like any arranged hooligan fight;

Is everyone who doesn't agree with Antifa a Nazi?

Punching and attacking people is hardly "not agreeing".
    If he's marching with a gang of fascists then it's safe tonsay he probably is one.

biko wrote: »
    The two sides walk towards each other before the fight starts.
    You make it out to be an attack from one on the other, but in reality both are into fighting as much as the other.

This looks just like any arranged hooligan fight;

A lot of posts in this thread claim that antifa start it and attaxk people at random. The evidence shows otherwise.

Punching and attacking people is hardly "not agreeing".
    If he's marching with a gang of fascists then it's safe tonsay he probably is one.

Maybe he is marching against masked pro communist people who are burning his beloved countries flag in the street.

We all know the Americans don't care for communists. Questionable as to who the real facists are

Maybe he is marching against masked pro communist people who are burning his beloved countries flag in the street.

We all know the Americans don't care for communists. Questionable as to who the real facists are

The fascists are the real fascists. The clue is in the name.

they/them/theirs

biko wrote: »
    Portland, Maine, is the better Portland.
    Just in case you Antifa guys get a job, and it that pays well enough for you to be able to travel there one day.

Portland main is a hole.

they/them/theirs

The fascists are the real fascists. The clue is in the name.

That would be Antifa then. Horrible people

• Advertisement

Not questionable at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement