Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,392 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Ironicname wrote: »
    In your mind, poorly armed police should knock on a factory door and ask the workers, (who happen to be brown), if they happen to be legal and just take their word they are legal even though almost half aren't?

Fascists if they don't.

If it means that Labour can be got cheaply, then yes he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Should people carry their papers with them at all times now?
    Have them ready for the paramilitary police.

Going to the shops while brown could result in a trip to jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

20Cent wrote: »

Papiere, bitte

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Half of the staff were illegal, once their identities were confirmed those working legally were released. Its not beyond the pale to hold someone until their ID can be confirmed in an operation of this type. You're blowing it out of proportion. The Irish lad being deported is white, how did that happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The company should get a huge fine for employing illegals, The poor children are the victims here and hopefully can be sent to relatives in the US or Mexico or put into foster care.

But back on topic, Antifa can do jack to change the law of the land and as we have established (and in before this thread gets locked for going off topic) they are a bunch of nutty far left anarchist who use violence to intimidate people they disagree with and are convinced regardless of the undeniable evidence to the contrary that they are the good guys.

• Advertisement

The company should get a huge fine for employing illegals, The poor children are the victims here and hopefully can be sent to relatives in the US or Mexico or put into foster care.

But back on topic, Antifa can do jack to change the law of the land and as we have established (and in before this thread gets locked for going off topic) they are a bunch of nutty far left anarchist who use violence to intimidate people they disagree with and are convinced regardless of the undeniable evidence to the contrary that they are the good guys.

as opposed to the people they are opposed to who use mass murder to intimidate people they disagree with and are convinced regardless of the undeniable evidence to the contrary that they are the good guys.

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Half of the staff were illegal, once their identities were confirmed those working legally were released. Its not beyond the pale to hold someone until their ID can be confirmed in an operation of this type. You're blowing it out of proportion. The Irish lad being deported is white, how did that happen ?

so you owuld have no problem being locked up until you can prove that you are a citizen?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Well armed police raiding factories, the brown people are carted away until they can prove they are legal. Over half those arrested were totally legal but didn't have their papers on them so were released later on. Suppose they were just "following orders".
    Antifa are needed now more than ever to fight against this fascism.

And the other half weren't? They obviously got a tip off of illegals working there. These kinds of raids happen in most countries where illegal immigration is a problem. I don't see anything fascist about it. How do you expect anybody to take you seriously when you come out with crap like this?

When everybody is a fascist, nobody is. You antifa types obviously never heard of the story about the boy who cried wolf. Do you cry at the police if they stop you for a random breathalyser test and want to see your papers, tax, insurance and drivers license. Damn those fascists!

so you owuld have no problem being locked up until you can prove that you are a citizen?

Thats how it works in every country if there is a factory with a big number of illegal workers, all workers have to be held until ID is confirmed. "Locked up" infers that they were all sent to a prison or something they weren't they were detained as in detained at the scene until their ID is confirmed-

"Hours later, all the kids had been reunited with family members"

Those working illegally were transported to immigrant detention centres, not jails or prisons.

"Eighteen juveniles were found working at the plants,.. Nine were released and not taken for processing, Miles said. One was 14 years old" - I guess child labour is cool with you now as well.

All quotes are from CNN

Thats how it works in every country if there is a factory with a big number of illegal workers, all workers have to be held until ID is confirmed. "Locked up" infers that they were all sent to a prison or something they weren't they were detained as in detained at the scene until their ID is confirmed-

"Hours later, all the kids had been reunited with family members"

Those working illegally were transported to immigrant detention centres, not jails or prisons.

"Eighteen juveniles were found working at the plants,.. Nine were released and not taken for processing, Miles said. One was 14 years old" - I guess child labour is cool with you now as well.

All quotes are from CNN

i dont suppose you can link to those quotes? not that i think you would take them out of context or anything.

• Advertisement

i dont suppose you can link to those quotes? not that i think you would take them out of context or anything.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/08/us/mississippi-immigration-raids-children/index.html

Well that was an interesting selection of quotes you picked. context really is everything. The people who were arrested on wednesday were not released until thursday afternoon. the "hours later" refers to hours later after thursday morning before the kids could be reunited with their parents. so people who were working legally were detained for a full day and separated from their children. and somehow you dont see an issue with that.

Well that was an interesting selection of quotes you picked. context really is everything. The people who were arrested on wednesday were not released until thursday afternoon. the "hours later" refers to hours later after thursday morning before the kids could be reunited with their parents. so people who were working legally were detained for a full day and separated from their children. and somehow you don't see an issue with that.

That wasn't intentional, but fine they were all reunited the next day. Whats does that change really? They all had to be processed through the system.
    Also from that piece: "Each case, depends on the individual circumstance. A parent being apprehended ... happens throughout law enforcement," he said. "You go out to any jurisdiction, state, local or otherwise, and they make an arrest of somebody, and that individual is a parent, that individual is going to go to jail, and that child's going to be left alone or with a family member." Having a child doesn't make you above the law.

What about the other points raised ?
    Thats how it works in every country if there is a factory with a big number of illegal workers, all workers have to be held until ID is confirmed.

And most importantly

Guilty till proven innocent, thought it was supposed to be the other way around.

That wasn't intentional, but fine they were all reunited the next day. Whats does that change really? They all had to be processed through the system.
    Also from that piece: "Each case, depends on the individual circumstance. A parent being apprehended ... happens throughout law enforcement," he said. "You go out to any jurisdiction, state, local or otherwise, and they make an arrest of somebody, and that individual is a parent, that individual is going to go to jail, and that child's going to be left alone or with a family member." Having a child doesn't make you above the law.

What about the other points raised ?

And most importantly

so you would not feel aggrieved at all if everybody in your workplace was arrested and detained until they could prove they were citizens? I'd be ****ing furious.

Guilty till proven innocent, thought it was supposed to be the other way around.

that was my understanding as well. Not so in america it seems when it comes to ICE.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's been tested in the Scotus and found to be unconstitutional for local law enforcement to ask to see papers. The law was struck down when I was living in Az, which meant I could stop carrying my passport and visa everywhere. Not that a cop ever asked me for it, I'm not brown enough.

I'm absolutely shocked ICE can do this based on that ruling.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

so you would not feel aggrieved at all if everybody in your workplace was arrested and detained until they could prove they were citizens? I'd be ****ing furious.

Furious is too small a word for how I'd feel.

Can someone answer this here, do ICE have special powers to detain over and above normal law enforcement? The police can't arrest you without probable cause, why can ICE arrest you without it?

they/them/theirs

If half my workplace was illegal workers and some were child workers and there was an immigration raid I would expect to be checked. I'd be furious at my employer for operating in such a way and putting me in that position.
    I really don't understand your position here ? Do you feel aggrieved if you get pulled over for a random breathalyser checkpoint, sure, is it fascism ? Some perspective is needed.

If half my workplace was illegal workers and some were child workers and there was an immigration raid I would expect to be checked. I'd be furious at my employer for operating in such a way and putting me in that position.
    I really don't understand your position here ? Do you feel aggrieved if you get pulled over for a random breathalyser checkpoint, sure, is it fascism ? Some perspective is needed.

How would you know your work colleagues immigration status? Ask them for their papers as well?
    If you get pulled over for a breathalyser test the cop has to prove you are over the limit. They don't handcuff you and make you prove you haven't been drinking.

• Advertisement

How would you know your work colleagues immigration status? Ask them for their papers as well?
    If you get pulled over for a breathalyser test the cop has to prove you are over the limit. They don't handcuff you and make you prove you haven't been drinking.
    I'm not an immigration officer, why would I know? Not my business either. Half of this US workplace was, obviously they were acting on good information.
    Yes the garda will detain me on the roadside to test me (check immigration status) If Im over (not working legally) I'm arrested, having kids doesn't factor into it.

Obviously It would have been better to process these people faster but we don't know what the method is and it is a large number of people.

I see you still haven't responded to the point of the kids working there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Context matters surely?

When nearly half the place is illegal immigrant labour and child labour then yes it's ok for them to detain you for processing.

Blame the employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Brian? wrote: »
    Furious is too small a word for how I'd feel.

Can someone answer this here, do ICE have special powers to detain over and above normal law enforcement? The police can't arrest you without probable cause, why can ICE arrest you without it?
    That's not what happened here though is it?

I'd agree with you that you shouldn't just be walking down the street and potentially be detained because you can't prove there and then you re a citizen/there legally.

But this is not that. It was a Company employing a large number of people illegally, and supposedly employing child labour. How is it that those claiming to be on the left will defend such happenings!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

Am I getting this right? Anti capitalists are now defending unethical capitalism? The world is truly upside down.

Am I getting this right? Anti capitalists are now defending unethical capitalism? The world is truly upside down.

No. I want the owner of the business punished and have no problem with people working illegally being detained and deported. I’m furious for the people there legally who were detained.

As an immigrant, or a “Expat” cause I’m white, I find this kind of thing worrying. I’ve been a legal immigrant in 3 countries now, including the US, so maybe I’m a little more sensitive to this than most. The idea I could spend a night in jail because I didn’t have my papers is horrifying.

Have you ever spent a night in jail? I haven’t and hope it stays that way.

they/them/theirs

Not really.
    It's the rounding people up demanding their papers people have a problem with.
    The freedom brigade seem ok with it though.

Not really.
    It's the rounding people up demanding their papers people have a problem with.
    The freedom brigade seem ok with it though.

I know, you want the freedom to use child labour whats their problem ?

I know, you want the freedom to use child labour whats their problem ?

Sounds like a really s1tty company.
    They have been sued for not paying proper wages.
    Owners are GOP contributors of course.

Child labour is wrong of course, making this out like ICE were there to "save" these children is disingenuous. They didn't care about the kids coming home from school to ne parents or in the street crying looking for them.

Sounds like a really s1tty company.
    They have been sued for not paying proper wages.
    Owners are GOP contributors of course.

Child labour is wrong of course, making this out like ICE were there to "save" these children is disingenuous. They didn't care about the kids coming home from school to ne parents or in the street crying looking for them.

were any of the owners similarly detained? i'm guessing not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That happened to a kid a few weeks ago, he spent 5 weeks in CBP custody and became emaciated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement