Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Offseason 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Nah, he's going to the Knicks.......:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I know I said that as a joke, but the Knicks are the team with the most cap space in 2 years.....when Giannis will be a FA.

It’s the Knicks, so they’ll most likely balls it up anyway.....

I think it was Hitch who said he agreed with not offering KD the Max from the Knicks perspective.

I’ve sat on this for a week. I have to agree. If you’re looking at this coldly from a medical/sports science perspective, it’s too risky given height, age, type of injury, injury history etc.

The Knicks are taking a lot of sh*t on this but long term it will likely prove to be a shrewd move. The problem they have is they appear to have had (as usual) no Plan B. The strategic thinking there seems to be non-existent or a mess, and the “everyone should want to play for the Knicks at the Mecca” line spouted by Dolan doesn’t cut it in today’s world.

This could all of course be wrong and Durant could defy medical thinking and return at 100% or close to it, but I don’t see it happening like that, sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

I think it was Hitch who said he agreed with not offering KD the Max from the Knicks perspective.

I’ve sat on this for a week. I have to agree. If you’re looking at this coldly from a medical/sports science perspective, it’s too risky given height, age, type of injury, injury history etc.

The Knicks are taking a lot of sh*t on this but long term it will likely prove to be a shrewd move. The problem they have is they appear to have had (as usual) no Plan B. The strategic thinking there seems to be non-existent or a mess, and the “everyone should want to play for the Knicks at the Mecca” line spouted by Dolan doesn’t cut it in today’s world.

This could all of course be wrong and Durant could defy medical thinking and return at 100% or close to it, but I don’t see it happening like that, sadly.

I agree as I said before but my only caveat would be the that outside of basketball, getting Durant could do even more for the Knicks than being on the floor.

It's the ability to generate revenue, recruit other players and settle fans who are incredibly dissatisfied and disillusioned with some of Dolans decisions.

From a purely basketball decision over the length of the contract, imo it was correct but for the overall benefit of the organisation moving forward and their ability to reestablish themselves then I'm not 100% sure. Time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 36,134 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I said it first :)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I said it first :)

Obv.

That's where I get all my good ideas ;)

• Advertisement

Leonard’s taking the p*ss at this stage. For a fella who doesn’t want attention by not making a decision he’s shining the media spotlight fully on himself, and given that all the other big names are gone, it’s sllost solely on him at this stage. Given it’s him though there’s a chance he’s completely unaware....:pac:

Most highly anticipated preseason game in NBA history tonight?

All the haters going to be raging when they see the Knicks are favs for the preseason :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Some tickets going for nearly a thousand dollars.

Kawhi not deciding today it seems. Stolen from Reddit, absolutely fascinating and I hope in a way it happens just for the **** show
    1) Anthony Davis, Solomon Hill, Jordan Bone and 3 future second round picks back to New Orleans

2) Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart, Mo Wagner, Jemerrio Jones, Isaac Bonga, DeAndre Hunter, and all future picks back to the Lakers

3) Miles Plumlee, Jaxson Hayes, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Marcos Louzada Silva back to Atlanta

4) Mike Conley, Jevon Carter and Chandler Parsons back to Memphis

5) JJ Reddick remains a free agent (Pelicans no longer have space to sign him)

6) Kyle Korver, Jae Crowder, Derrick Favours, Brandon Clarke and all future picks back to Utah

7) Andre Iguodala (acquired using trade exception created in Mike Conley trade) and the future picks traded with him back to Golden State

8) D'Angelo Russell back to Brooklyn

9) Josh Jackson back to Phoenix along with DeAnthony Melton + future second rounders

10) PHX no longer has cap room to sign Ricky Rubio making him an unrestricted free agent again

11) 1.1 million back to Washington

That's what happens if this trade falls apart. If the trade has to wait for Kawhi, the trade is waiting for Kawhi. Adam Silver will not allow this to happen as it ruins the offseason of nearly a third of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

What trade are all those linked to?

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    What trade are all those linked to?

AD trade and it's implications of being decided by July 6th otherwise the Lakers cap changes

Just don't get why it's being linked to the Kawhi, has nothing to do with his FA decision, anyway that trade is happening, so all irrelevant.

Cap space. Kawhi has to be officially signed before the AD trade is official since the Lakers are taking on more salary than they are giving up with the trade. Then all of that snowballs into other team's interests.

Angliru wrote: »
    Cap space. Kawhi has to be officially signed before the AD trade is official since the Lakers are taking on more salary than they are giving up with the trade. Then all of that snowballs into other team's interests.

That is no longer correct. The Reddit poster has confused a few things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

At this point its clear as day noone has a clue. Carter saying we would hear today, now backtracking. Woj saying july 4. Also saying he wants to pair up with butler and then kd. These dudes are just throwing crap at the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    I agree as I said before but my only caveat would be the that outside of basketball, getting Durant could do even more for the Knicks than being on the floor.

It's the ability to generate revenue, recruit other players and settle fans who are incredibly dissatisfied and disillusioned with some of Dolans decisions.

From a purely basketball decision over the length of the contract, imo it was correct but for the overall benefit of the organisation moving forward and their ability to reestablish themselves then I'm not 100% sure. Time will tell

I agree with you and Butters, Durant was at his peak and may of stayed there for a few more years, this injury has sped up the downward trajectory that hits every player. I think he has a decent chance of coming back pretty solid, he is not your typical 7 ft player, he think his slight frame and wide skill set that doesn’t relay on too much athleticism will help him get back to a high level(but what do I know)
    I just hate the fact that it’s like the Knicks shunned him, that circus doesn’t know what it’s doing

Big aftershock from the earthquake at game tonight, it got suspended, only experienced a few small ones but it’s a weird feeling, wouldn’t like to be in a crowded stadium if a big one hit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,550 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Kawhi signing with the Clippers and Paul George being traded there as the Thunder seem to be blowing it up all announced within the last 10 minutes.

The most exciting and open season ever awaits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Originally Posted by Always Tired View Post
    Kawhi will stay in Toronto I'll give anyone who wants to back otherwise 5/1

I think he will stay put I like the odds, I’ll throw away $100

You can donate my winnings to my favorite charity, me !

Danny Green signing with the Lakers it seems. Great pickup for them. They will sign a number of guys in the next few hours imo.

• Advertisement

Not many were still giving the Clippers a chance, most commentators were saying Toronto or Lakers.

Anyone have the details on the George trade? Woj is saying “a record number of picks”, but no detail.

Not many were still giving the Clippers a chance, most commentators were saying Toronto or Lakers.

Anyone have the details on the George trade? Woj is saying “a record number of picks”, but no detail.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1147385617015291909?s=21

Excellent deal for the Thunder

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1147385617015291909
    The Clippers are sending the Thunder four unprotected first-round picks, one protected first-round pick and two pick swaps, league sources tell ESPN. Those picks go to OKC with Gallinari and SGA.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1147390491312500736?s=21

I would have said before the offseason that the Lakers should have been looking to get Green as a perfect pairing with LeBron and AD, irrespective of anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Woke up and checked my phone and misread it as Kawhi and PG going to the Lakers. Got seriously pissed until I checked out this thread to figure out how they made the cap space work. Awesome for the Clippers though, a Lakers/Clippers Western Conference Finals would be unreal.

That George trade has surprised me, even more so that it was kept quiet. Another player that was supposed to join the Lakers gone elsewhere.

Staples Center is going to see some basketball over the next few years.

Does the fact that SGA is on his way to OKC mean Westbrook could be in play?
    5 firsts and two pick swaps on top of Gallo and SGA is some haul.

Does the fact that SGA is on his way to OKC mean Westbrook could be in play?
    5 firsts and two pick swaps on top of Gallo and SGA is some haul.

I can't see why they'd keep Westbrook now regardless of SGA, aside from sentimentality, though the question is... is there actually a market for Russell Westbrook on a contract that sees him making around $42m a year for the next 4 seasons?

Huge money for any team to take on with Westbrook a d the value isn't really there, hes not going to deliver a championship.

Can the Knicks afford to take him?:P

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    Huge money for any team to take on with Westbrook a d the value isn't really there, hes not going to deliver a championship.

Can the Knicks afford to take him?:P

I'm shocked (well not really because it's the Knicks) that the Knicks decided to just fill their roster with whoever they could find on 1-2 year contracts instead of offering to take on terrible contracts (Wiggins, Chris Paul, Wall) for a tonne of draft picks.

Advertisement