Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non national homeless

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mrs. Mulligan and I already own our own home. In what way will these evil so-called "vulture funds" affect us?

Should we buy a burglar alarm or some cloves of garlic?

You're thinking of vampires, not vultures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

You're thinking of vampires, not vultures.

Indeed I was! But you can't be too careful these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

A more intelligent poster would be pleased about the cancellation of this expensive junket - but you prefer to whine about it!

It was to be held in Dublin. Not a junket.

This is my problem:

It emerged just over a week ago that the port managers at the company spent more than €500,000 last year on flights, restaurants and entertainment on 22 credit cards. The expenditure included almost €95,000 on the credit card of the port company’s chief executive, Eamonn O’Reilly.

We are being taken for a ride. And not a good one

Blueshoe wrote: »

It was to be held in Dublin. Not a junket.

But surely it was a junket for the VIPs from the other countries who were going to attend? Plus it was being funded by the organisation whose bosses you are criticising for misspending on their credit cards!

It emerged just over a week ago that the port managers at the company spent more than €500,000 last year on flights, restaurants and entertainment on 22 credit cards. The expenditure included almost €95,000 on the credit card of the port company’s chief executive, Eamonn O’Reilly.

And you know for a fact that none of that expenditure was justified? So who are you - one of the the company's auditors?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭vid36

As an EU citizen, if you cannot support yourself after 3 months, you can be repatriated from any country in the EU back to your home country.

You are correct legally but our government has no intention of enforcing this.

• Advertisement

But surely it was a junket for the VIPs from the other countries who were going to attend? Plus it was being funded by the organisation whose bosses you are criticising for misspending on their credit cards!

And you know for a fact that none of that expenditure was justified? So who are you - one of the the company's auditors?

Other countries spend is not our concern. The problem isn't the event. Forget the event. That's only a side show to the problem that now port executives have been called to explain to an oireachtas committee.

Did you not read the figures?
    That's public money.

What's your argument here?

Other countries spend is not our concern. The problem isn't the event. Forget the event. That's only a side show to the problem that now port executives have been called to explain to an oireachtas committee.

If it's a side show why did you being it up in the first place? Especially on a thread about non national homelessness?

Did you not read the figures? That's public money. What's your argument here?

Yes, I read the figures.

And I commented on the so-called "scandal" on the relevant thread a fortnight ago!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110461724

If it's a side show why did you being it up in the first place? Especially on a thread about non national homelessness?

Yes, I read the figures.

And I commented on the so-called "scandal" on the relevant thread a fortnight ago!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110461724

Why didn't you say that in the first place.
    Shocking wasn't it. More public money pissed away. Money could be used to tackle homelessness.
    Would you agree?

(Your link is 404 not found)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

SO where are all the cleaners, bin-men, hospital cleaners & care assistants, deliveroo, crappy jobs allowed to live.

Chinasea wrote: »
    SO where are all the cleaners, bin-men, hospital cleaners & care assistants, deliveroo, crappy jobs allowed to live.

In the skip out back. And they will be told by the residents "we will call you when we need you"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Chinasea wrote: »

Its what is wrong with the current system, we should be doing allot more to make sure that lower income people can still afford accommodation. However for a functioning housing system we need to get away from a house or area for life if you are relying on a hand up.

If we dont have upward and downward mobility dependent on need we will just make a bigger problem.

Another big problem Ireland will have to grasp the nettle on is high density buildings.

Why didn't you say that in the first place.
    Shocking wasn't it. More public money pissed away. Money could be used to tackle homelessness.
    Would you agree?

(Your link is 404 not found)

Link works fine for me.

And I'm happy to await the findings of the Dail Star Chamber on the credit card expenditure before performing the ritual Boards.ie kneejerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Omackeral wrote: »
    The majority of the people I see posting things like this on social media are the exact type that wouldn't give an Irish homeless person the time of day or 50 cent out of their pocket.

For the record, I'm not disputing the crux of the argument as there's discussion to be had, just offering an observation.

Let's rephrase it. The taxpayer should only be trying to house our own homeless.

Link works fine for me.

And I'm happy to await the findings of the Dail Star Chamber on the credit card expenditure before performing the ritual Boards.ie kneejerk.

Let's wait. I'm sure justice will prevail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I wonder do these eastern European countries think we are a bunch of eegits. Move to Ireland and hop on the gravy train.

Spoiler: That's exactly what we think. Our homeless eastern Europeans make more money in Ireland - housing/dole, all that jazz - than even "well-off" middle class working make back home, in some parts at least.

Second spoiler: They don't appreciate it either. They may lie in your face, but they all can't believe their luck and think of the Irish government at least as absolute tools. Their little money tree.

That's the cold hard truth if anyone is really wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Homeless Hub near us(D6-ish) and missus helped organise an Xmas gift selection for the hub residents, a somewhat recent tradition and fair play nice gesture etc.... anyway turns out 85% of the hub are Roma and we are talking about a capacity of 100 with PP for another 150 I believe.

It came to light because there was a cultural sensitivity in terms of what presents would work etc - so it had to be spelled out the residents association etc. Crazy situation when you think about it and they are big into their BIG families with lots of babies constantly on the way.... the **** will hit the fan in the next decade no doubt about it.

Nothing against them personally and they seem to cause very little trouble locally compared to the Irish contingent before them (although littering still an issue), but it's just absolutely bizarre that this is happening in some ways, EU residents or not,

Advertisement