Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non national homeless

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Kivaro wrote: »
    This is what happens when words like "homeless" are diluted.
    There are in reality approximately 200 - 300 real homeless people in Ireland. The 10,000 to 11,000 figure that you see homeless "charities" proclaiming are people who are in lodging but do not have their permanent homes a.k.a. forever homes.

Over 20% of the families who are "homeless" in Dublin are non-EU nationals. They are flying into the country or crossing the border and declaring themselves homeless. What happens next is that they are indeed given either hotel rooms or B&B rooms or other housing. They are not paying for these rooms or lodging. We (the tax payer) are paying for these hotel/B&B rooms for these non-EU guests. This is not sustainable.

Why are they coming here in such large numbers?
    1. The generous welfare state that we have in Ireland.
    2. The Billions of tax-payer money currently promised by the Government to build these forever homes. The non-EU nationals are trying to get in early in order to get one of these homes.
    3. The Liberal Left are making it impossible to discuss this issue of non-EU nationals arriving in Ireland and taking advantage of our welfare services. They use another word that is diluted these days; "racists", if we dare ask questions like how many can we afford to take in.

That's where you are wrong. It is sustainable. Every week that tax is taken from your paycheck it is going towards sustaining it. The workers of the country are sustaining the situation.
    The trade off though is no real money left to put towards anything to improve those taxpayers lives.

There are too many in favour of current policy or just don't care enough for anything to change.

now that we have a more serious forum for these discussions can we lobby for a serious set of definitions

"homeless" means ten different things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

now that we have a more serious forum for these discussions can we lobby for a serious set of definitions

"homeless" means ten different things

The current definition of homeless seems to be ‘waiting for the state to provide my forever home to my specification in my location of choice at a massively subsidised low rent (payment of rent optional) for the rest of my life’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Cedrus wrote: »
    "200 - 300 real homeless people in Ireland" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your stats are so obviously "makey uppy" that anything else you say can only be regarded as spoof.

Lots of exclamation marks; presumably they mean something.
    As of 6 months ago, there were 156 people living rough in our biggest city. The stats are well known and easy to find.

People living without roofs over their heads or sleeping rough are the real homeless of Ireland. Homeless "charities" deem anyone without permanent housing in Ireland as homeless. This definition of homeless is not used in most western countries. The 10K-11K currently claiming homelessness are all being provided for, with all of them having roofs over their heads. Some of these homeless families are/were staying (at tax payer expense) in 4 star hotels in Dublin. If staying in a 4 star hotel is deemed homeless, then we are truly living in the twilight zone.

You were originally trying to claim that non-EU nationals arriving in Ireland are not getting paid accommodation when they declare themselves as soon as they get on our soil. They are. They are not turfed out onto the street. We; well, me and other tax-payers, are paying for their accommodation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Eh. What?

We have call centres supporting languages for all over the world.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

We have call centres supporting languages for all over the world.

You just said they can’t speak English. Again. Ehhh what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭enricoh

56% on homeless list are foreign. What percentage was foreign in 2016 census? 12% iirc.
    So foreigners are almost 5 times more likely to be homeless. We are simply getting milked dry.

Endless stuff on rte about the childrens hospital cost over runs. A joke but a once off cost. No mention of this 56% figure and their cost. This is costing billions every year i reckon, between homeless charities, quangos, hotel rooms, direct provision, welfare, medical cards etc etc.

Is any politician at all questioning this? None, that ive heard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

enricoh wrote: »
    56% on homeless list are foreign. What percentage was foreign in 2016 census? 12% iirc.
    So foreigners are almost 5 times more likely to be homeless. We are simply getting milked dry.

Endless stuff on rte about the childrens hospital cost over runs. A joke but a once off cost. No mention of this 56% figure and their cost. This is costing billions every year i reckon, between homeless charities, quangos, hotel rooms, direct provision, welfare, medical cards etc etc.

Dublin port were supposed to be hosting a major port industry event. They had to cancel due to findings uncovered by the Sunday independent of massive spending and expenses claims by senior figures.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/dublin-port-axes-plan-to-host-global-shipping-celebration-38264963.html

This country is a circus. The tax payers are the clowns (mugs).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,818 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Where do you get the statistic that 56% on the homeless list are foreign?

Here are the figures from the 2016 Census.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp5hpi/cp5hpi/nat/

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

€205 a week is no easy living. Trust me on that. It’s bately existing.

Assuming thats the only income they have.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Anyone who is non-national and homeless or on the housing list should be deported. We have enough of our own to be looking after. If they are homeless they are clearly a burden on our society and the state. The only immigrants that should be here are ones who are working jobs which cannot be fulfilled by the Irish and that would be determined by an Australian style points system.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Stephen15 wrote: »
    We have enough of our own to be looking after.

The majority of the people I see posting things like this on social media are the exact type that wouldn't give an Irish homeless person the time of day or 50 cent out of their pocket.

For the record, I'm not disputing the crux of the argument as there's discussion to be had, just offering an observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Omackeral wrote: »
    The majority of the people I see posting things like this on social media are the exact type that wouldn't give an Irish homeless person the time of day or 50 cent out of their pocket.

It should be government that helps Irish people in need and not left up to the goodwill of citizens

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Omackeral wrote: »

For the record, I'm not disputing the crux of the argument as there's discussion to be had, just offering an observation.

funnily enough, we already pump well more than enough cash into the system, if current welfare supports werent looking after immigrants then it would free up money for the system to better provide for citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It should be government that helps Irish people in need and not left up to the goodwill of citizens

That's fine. I'm saying a lot of the people feigning concern are often doing it because of an agenda and that they don't actually give a rats about ''our own''.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

What Irish tax payers have a problem with are those that come just to Sponge, to beg, con and steal. They come expecting to be given everything for free, yet contribute nothing. They refuse to integrate into our culture but expect us to accomadate their ways.
    We have enough of our own doing the above with importing others.... Why can't the government see this and stamp it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/we-have-done-nothing-wrong-a-day-in-the-life-of-a-homeless-family-38260238.html

This mother at least trying to work and make an effort. But this story shows the reality behind the homeless figures. 56 percent are non national. This woman and the oldest 2 kids are Moldovan. How are they even here. That's not an EU country. So we have to house educate and medically care for this family of 4 where daddy is no longer on the scene. 2 eldest kids also awaiting hip replacements.

I wonder do these eastern European countries think we are a bunch of eegits. Move to Ireland and hop on the gravy train.

If they were dogs people would care about them.

And no they are not perfect and neither are we. And yeah we are mugs. Shrug so what ? We let them starve and become hard people?

I don't want to be like that.
    And maybe they are just nice people going through hard times or emotionally hard times. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,386 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

There's an interesting program on BBC at the moment which is kinda relevant
    Who Should Get to Stay in the UK?

Some are absolute chancers, some use the health card, some are well entitled. The law is convoluted as hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Del.Monte wrote: »
    +100

Everytime I hear about the homeless figures I think of the piece by Paddy O'Gorman, or it could have been his doppelganger on Newstalk, where the plight of two homeless Eastern Europeans living in a tent on a patch of waste ground in Dublin was mentioned as an aside.

The situation is never going to get any better as long as free movement of people around Europe is allowed. This country is like a boat with a hole in it being baled out with a leaky bucket. It could be a mathematical quiz question - if a rowing boat is sinking and the crew bail out a gallon of water per minute but two gallons of water flow through the hole in the bottom of the boat, how long before the boat sinks? However this question cannot be asked because it's racist and doesn't fit with the PC agenda which will sink the 'Europe Project' eventually.

As an EU citizen, if you cannot support yourself after 3 months, you can be repatriated from any country in the EU back to your home country.

As an EU citizen, if you cannot support yourself after 3 months, you can be repatriated from any country in the EU back to your home country.

I think that’s the fairest system possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Dublin port were supposed to be hosting a major port industry event. They had to cancel due to findings uncovered by the Sunday independent of massive spending and expenses claims by senior figures.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/dublin-port-axes-plan-to-host-global-shipping-celebration-38264963.html

This country is a circus. The tax payers are the clowns (mugs).

A more intelligent poster would be pleased about the cancellation of this expensive junket - but you prefer to whine about it!

But, in the Ireland of the handout, what sometimes happens is that an interfering, taxpayer-funded quango seeks an ex parte High Court injunction to prevent this from happening.

Just wish people got as worked up and engaged on vulture funds ravaging our country rather than homeless and immigrants. It’s a far bigger and far worse situation that actually will affect us all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You just said they can’t speak English. Again. Ehhh what?

English isnt the language we are selling support for from here. Believe it or not.

Purple monkey dishwasher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭enricoh

Just wish people got as worked up and engaged on vulture funds ravaging our country rather than homeless and immigrants. It’s a far bigger and far worse situation that actually will affect us all.

Start a separate thread so instead of trying whataboutery on this one.

Start a separate thread so instead of trying whataboutery on this one.

Maybe. What’s a whataboutery?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Purple monkey dishwasher

Mod: You're obviously not willing to engage at any articulate level here. So please don't post in this thread again.

Mrs. Mulligan and I already own our own home. In what way will these evil so-called "vulture funds" affect us?

Should we buy a burglar alarm or some cloves of garlic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I think that’s the fairest system possible.

Thats the current system. Unfortunately soft touch Ireland doesn't seem to want to implement it.

Advertisement