Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 year anniversary of the death of Michael Jackson

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I learned of Michael Jackson's death via a Michael Jackson joke, before anything had even been confirmed. My dad sent me the following text message: "Apparently the boogie has been brought in for questioning, but the sunshine and moonlight are also in the frame". Not knowing what the hell he was on about, I responded with "what?" and received the following curt message: "Put Sky News on".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Pissartist wrote: »
    well he did alot for charity

Like that sexual abuse charity that was crying out for new people to help out. He worked night and day for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

So do you believe anyone who is charged with these types of charges are always guilty

Of course not. I look at each individual case and decide for myself. And so long as I don’t defame anyone, there’s not a whole lot people can do about what I think re: any particular case. And of course, Jackson can’t even be defamed anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Of course not. I look at each individual case and decide for myself. And so long as I don’t defame anyone, there’s not a whole lot people can do about what I think re: any particular case. And of course, Jackson can’t even be defamed anymore.

Why the hell are you getting so worked up about taught police and all that jesus you can think what you want. You made a general no fire without smoke comment about someone who can have allegation and as this is a public site people are questioning you. Are we not allowed to do that? Thank god there is no taught police

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Why the hell are you getting so worked up about taught police and all that jesus you can think what you want. You made a general no fire without smoke comment about someone who can have allegation and as this is a public site people are questioning you. Are we not allowed to do that? Thank god there is no taught police

More importantly it’s a pity the paedophile police never caught Michael Jackson.

• Advertisement

Do the kids parents not have a standard to reach?

Without a doubt. They completely failed their children.

I don't know... taught police might be handy.

I’m not getting worked up! :D And I’m certainly not saying that people can’t comment as they see fit. What are you on about?

Oh and it wasn’t me who made the initial “no smoke without fire” comment. It kinda seems like you’re the one who is a bit worked up, to be honest, because you didn’t even check to see who made that initial comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    If he was still living, even if he wasn't a paedophile, his music would have been consigned to the past by now. He had a huge resurgence of popularity in the last ten years because he died but for a decade or more before he died he was just another 80s relic.

:confused:

2 out of the top 10 grossing world tours in in 93 and 97.

Sold out the 02 Arena in London 50 times over before he died.

Didn't like his music myself but Relic me bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I would like to take this opportunity to once again apologise to Jarvis Cocker for thinking he was the weirdo in all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Jackson's life story is a cautionary tale about how putting a kid into showbiz will mess them up. He never had a chance. Awful father, famous from when he was too young, never had a proper role model or people to keep him in the straight and narrow. I don't buy into the belief that he was a child trapped in a man's body. He was a weirdo oddball who used his fame and persona to gain access to kids. He was a creep. I believe the abuse allegations but understand why others might not. There was definitely something very "off" about him and it's not something that can be explained away by the "poor innocent Michael, didn't he have a strange life?" angle

He destroyed himself with all that plastic surgery and drug addiction. Would he really have made it through that tour given how frail he was?

I don't have a problem with his music being continued to be played. He was never found guilty of anything during his lifetime (I think that might have changed) so technically he's an innocent man. Let everybody make up their own minds about him.

Jackson's life story is a cautionary tale about how putting a kid into showbiz will mess them up. He never had a chance. Awful father, famous from when he was too young, never had a proper role model or people to keep him in the straight and narrow. I don't buy into the belief that he was a child trapped in a man's body. He was a weirdo oddball who used his fame and persona to gain access to kids. He was a creep. I believe the abuse allegations but understand why others might not. There was definitely something very "off" about him and it's not something that can be explained away by the "poor innocent Michael, didn't he have a strange life?" angle

He destroyed himself with all that plastic surgery and drug addiction. Would he really have made it through that tour given how frail he was?

I don't have a problem with his music being continued to be played. He was never found guilty of anything during his lifetime (I think that might have changed) so technically he's an innocent man. Let everybody make up their own minds about him.

I don’t either, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I don't know... taught police might be handy.

Nah love arguing

Boggles wrote: »
    :confused:

2 out of the top 10 grossing world tours in in 93 and 97.

Sold out the 02 Arena in London 50 times over before he died.

Didn't like his music myself but Relic me bollix.
    A nostalgia act, like many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Not counting his personal life I think it would be very silly to disregard him as another 80's relic as someone said. He revolutionised pop music as we know it. Just listen to Justin Timberlake's songs and tell me that they were not heavily influenced by Jackson. His songs sound like Jackson's songs, he sings like him, dances like him. If Timberlake has had an influence on pop music it is because basically he is replicating his music style.

Plus.... It's THOUGHT Police....... Jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I don't think the world would be eagerly awaiting his new music. He wrote some bangers back in the day but his later stuff was less than memorable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Not counting his personal life I think it would be very silly to disregard him as another 80's relic as someone said. He revolutionised pop music as we know it. Just listen to Justin Timberlake's songs and tell me that they were not heavily influenced by Jackson. His songs sound like Jackson's songs, he sings like him, dances like him. If Timberlake has had an influence on pop music it is because basically he is replicating his music style.

Nope, no thanks.

There isn't many others putting up those numbers.

Just wanna point out, not all of us made that mistake. :pac:

Justin Timberlake is most definitely influenced by Jackson. I prefer Timberlake’s music though actually.
    I don't think the world would be eagerly awaiting his new music. He wrote some bangers back in the day but his later stuff was less than memorable.

True, he had gone off the boil by the ‘90s. Badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It a bit weird how making jokes about child abuse is ok when it comes to Michael Jackson. I can't imagine jokes like that being made and allowed in any other scenarios.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Where did those 10 years go!

As for MJ himself - an incredible musician and performer but a seriously messed up individual. It’s hard to know how to feel about him really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It a bit weird how making jokes about child abuse is ok when it comes to Michael Jackson. I can't imagine jokes like that being made and allowed in any other scenarios.

I wouldn't spend too much time exploring the boundaries of comedy, you'll reach horribly dark places!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

My 7 year old kid loves his music. A lot of it has aged well to be honest.

Really?

Catholic Church, Rolf Harris, Gary Glitter, etc.

I have heard literally 100s, essentially a lot of them the same joke changed a bit most of them by popular comedians.
    I just don’t understand it: Why would you become an Islamic fundamentalist suicide bomber on the off chance you might get 72 virgins when you die? Become a Catholic priest and have them now!

- Jimmy Carr.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Some haters just can't help themselves.
    D94KRH8WwAANj5f?format=jpg&name=large

Relic? MJ still posts numbers that other artists would be jealous of and his Estate is worth billions. Even in death he still contributes greatly to charity. I think it's estimated that over his lifetime he donated around $500 million.

Well, some people probably do find his music forgettable. It’s all a matter of opinion. If a person does regard his music that way, the amount of downloads isn’t going to change their mind, is it?

But this though:

Had Michael Jackson not died when he did he would have nowhere near those numbers. Not that I give a hoot about any of those other nostalgia acts touring the blue rinse circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I saw him in Charles De Gaulle in June 2006. He flew into Cork and I flew into Dublin. He died around the same time in 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well, some people probably do find his music forgettable. It’s all a matter of opinion. If a person does regard his music that way, the amount of downloads isn’t going to change their mind, is it?

It's just a stupid comment from yer man. It's human nature to do that, any comedian who does anything wrong, start a thread and you'll have 100 replies saying "I never thought he was funny anyway".

I definitely think his music will be around for a while, lot of the early stuff especially. Up to Bad

Advertisement