Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

While your perfectly entitled to your opinion, I for one am delighted that your views are a supported by a tiny minority here.

If it was really about the money its probably corporate welfare you should be raging about.

A minority who expect the money taken from their salary to be put towards infrastructure by elected officials to make their lives better.

What is the opposite?

People happy to see their tax euro wasted yet are the first to complain about the failings of the health service or housing crisis.

What exactly do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Grayson wrote: »
    Statistically foreigners pay more into the system than they take out. They're on average younger and healthier than the general population. There's also lower unemployment since most come here for work. So statistically foreigners contributed more to the wage of the doctor you were waiting on than they did to the queue you are in.

The health service needs work but it's not the fault of foreigners.

1 in 3 on homeless list in dublin is foreign born, 21% non eu, 12 % eu. Iirc the last census was 15% foreign born, so they're twice as likely as paddies to be needing the aul free gaff.
    Any links that prove statistically foreigners pay more into the system than take out?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

People Keep on saying Gemma is all into conspiracy theories yet it was the liberal MSM who kept on pushing the narrative that Russia influenced the 2016 US Presidential election. Gemma doesn't have much influence but the MSM does.

There is a massive difference between a story peddled by the democratic party and their PR machine handed to all the media outlets and engineered for maximum airtime
    aaannnnddd
    a crazy woman going around with a phone claiming aldi only want transgender employees, asking toy shops not to sell unicorns and claiming that george soros is behind some sort of massive plan to replace all the white people in ireland , all from her village.

Just because the MSM fall for a story that I think most can admit at this point was stretched and pumped up , does not mean Gemma is peddling the truth.

Grayson wrote: »
    Statistically foreigners pay more into the system than they take out. They're on average younger and healthier than the general population. There's also lower unemployment since most come here for work. So statistically foreigners contributed more to the wage of the doctor you were waiting on than they did to the queue you are in.

The health service needs work but it's not the fault of foreigners.

Ive seen stats that EU immigrants in general pay their way in society, the stats get muddy when you include non EU migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I want the money taken from my pay slip to be spent on things that will make my life better.
    Jonny from Nigeria can go do 1

Apparently if we give johny from Nigeria even more money we will get more money back from him (extra vat).
    What a great concept!!!
    Think wheeliebin 30 stated 74% of nigerians in ireland dont work ( from last census).

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    Apparently if we give johny from Nigeria even more money we will get more money back from him (extra vat).
    What a great concept!!!
    Think wheeliebin 30 stated 74% of nigerians in ireland dont work ( from last census).

Sure they don't need to. Magic money appears once a week.
    Money that could be used to tackle the 700,000 on waiting lists or put towards building more houses.

But it's ok we get the vat back on the money he spends on things for himself.
    (Taxpayers money)

enricoh wrote: »
    What a great concept!!!

This is the problem, the nigerians and roma are notorious for welfare fraud yet everyone releasing stats always bundles them together and people like the romanians and polish (who have a national shame about not working) all being employed fudges the numbers and they hide the scammers behind them saying "look, they contribute so much"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,851 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Money that could be used to tackle the 700,000 on waiting lists or put towards building more houses.

(Taxpayers money)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

People Keep on saying Gemma is all into conspiracy theories yet it was the liberal MSM who kept on pushing the narrative that Russia influenced the 2016 US Presidential election. Gemma doesn't have much influence but the MSM does.

Gemma is a massive conspiracy theorist :rolleyes:

Chemtrails
    Vaccines
    Unicorns
    Paedophiles
    Communists
    Globalists
    Marxists
    Islam
    Soros
    NGOs

She has conspiracies about them all

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

(Taxpayers money)

So basically you take people off the dole - stop paying them, plough the money and expect the people on the dole wont go into extreme poverty and homelessness and make any gains from your investment worthless. I think you should goto Kilkenomics because your grasp of how economics actually works is pretty much a comedy show to be honest.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

So basically you take people off the dole - stop paying them, plough the money and expect the people on the dole wont go into extreme poverty and homelessness and make any gains from your investment worthless. I think you should goto Kilkenomics because your grasp of how economics actually works is pretty much a comedy show to be honest.

Again no. How about people on the dole get jobs.
    Crazy right? But it might just work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Eh that's factually true though and has been verified multiple times....

Its really not that simple at all.

In order to take everyone off the dole you need a huge investment programme including education, upskilling, state employment etc etc. Your policy proposals of "they can all get jobs" is just sheer nonsense to be honest.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

100% employment is not real, its not an achievable statistic. For about 2.9 Million different walking, talking, hiring, firing, seeking, quitting and bludging reasons. If you can't grasp this, then you are wasting your time. The only way 100% was ever achieved was forced labour camps, guns to heads, genocide and then fudging the numbers in a few different regimes throughout history. If you want to throw in your lot with any of their economic policies, just run up your flag now so we can all ignore you.

~5% unemployment for this reason is considered as economic full employment, it is a point of diminishing returns where dragging more people into the workforce is either bringing people who are incapable of doing the available jobs efficiently or creating jobs for the sake of creating jobs. Neither are of net gain to the broader economy.
    It is literally more effective to pay them to stay home, recover and get fit for work or train/educate and get a productive job. In the meantime, giving them "free money" as you call it, allows them to feed, house and clothe themselves The money given out through the SW system either returns to the exchequer through VAT, Income tax from goods and service production, or slips through into the black market economy - [which could be eliminated by derciminalizing and regulating narcotics sale, but that's a different circus and a whole different monkey] as previously mentioned, there is a multiplier effect. Each Euro that goes into this system minus leakage to overseas spending and the black economy actually results in a net gain.
    It is as a matter of fact a stimulus to the economy, with the proviso that the greater economy is humming along as close as possible to or growing towards the 95% 'full employment' point.

You've got a chip on your shoulder because you pay tax?....suck it up, the alternative is death.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Its really not that simple at all.

In order to take everyone off the dole you need a huge investment programme including education, upskilling, state employment etc etc. Your policy proposals of "they can all get jobs" is just sheer nonsense to be honest.

It's not a 'policy proposal'. A policy proposal would come with some kind of analysis attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Great bit of whataboutery there, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,626 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Whether they influenced it or not and to what degree is up for debate.

But it's an absolute fact they tried to and they will try again in 2020.

Unless you think the likes of Sen. Lindsey Graham is main stream media? Or the actual security apparatus of the USA? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ollkiller

It's not a tax if it doesn't cost you anything

You haven't the first clue about how economic's works. It's been explained to you multiple times over this thread but no amount of explanation will get through to you.

So what has the bould gemma been at today. Well here's one of her tweet's.

"It’s amazing to think that soon @BAItweets will censor you for believing schoolboys shouldn’t wear skirts, marriage is between a man and a woman, the planet hasn’t warmed for 20 years, the HPV vaccine can cause serious harm and a cure for cancer has been found."

1. Who gives a flying f*** if a boy wears a skirt. If you're offended by a dude wearing a skirt you need to find a hobby.
    2. Marriage is between a man and a woman. Do one you homophobe.
    3. The planet hasn't warmed in 20 years. Nothing to see here.....
    4. HPV vaccine. Again do one. Spreading misinformation that can lead to death. Pure evil.
    5. A cure for cancer has been found. Thank Christ for that. We can all rest easy now.

Pure Loony tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

ollkiller wrote: »
    You haven't the first clue about how economic's works. It's been explained to you multiple times over this thread but no amount of explanation will get through to you.

"It’s amazing to think that soon @BAItweets will censor you for believing schoolboys shouldn’t wear skirts, marriage is between a man and a woman, the planet hasn’t warmed for 20 years, the HPV vaccine can cause serious harm and a cure for cancer has been found."

1. Who gives a flying f*** if a boy wears a skirt. If you're offended by a dude wearing a skirt you need to find a hobby.
    4. HPV vaccine. Again do one. Spreading misinformation that can lead to death. Pure evil.
    5. A cure for cancer has been found. Thank Christ for that. We can all rest easy now.

Pure Loony tunes.

Yea but immigrants.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"A cure for cancer"

What, like, ALL 100+ of them?

I'm no doctor, but the reduction of "cancer" by conspiracy nuts to one catchall disease, as if skin cancer is treated the same as prostate cancer, frustrates and angers me. I lost both parents to different forms (sidebar: uh oh), and both treatments required different treatments, care and attention.

I was the one claiming we shouldn't gawp at O'Doherty's mental health spiral, but damnit if that glib conspiracy theory doesn't make my eye twitch...

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    "A cure for cancer"

What, like, ALL 100+ of them?

I'm no doctor, but the reduction of "cancer" by conspiracy nuts to one catchall disease, as if skin cancer is treated the same as prostate cancer, frustrates and angers me. I lost both parents to different forms (sidebar: uh oh), and both treatments required different treatments, care and attention.

I was the one claiming we shouldn't gawp at O'Doherty's mental health spiral, but damnit if that glib conspiracy theory doesn't make my eye twitch...

Sure Donald Trump said last week he could cure cancer

Terry Pratchet

It's not a 'policy proposal'. A policy proposal would come with some kind of analysis attached.

Well yeah thats true. "My taxes pay for parasites to do f all" is not analysis. Its simplistic nonsense.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,178 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sure Donald Trump said last week he could cure cancer

Does he have healing hands?

Does he have healing hands?

Roving hands maybe

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Someone like Gemma should be a fortune teller or astrologist not a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭Odhinn

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Someone like Gemma should be a fortune teller or astrologist not a journalist.

"You will meet a beautiful dark haired woman. But beware as she's one of the lizard people and will use you to feed her brood"

ollkiller wrote: »

Pure Loony tunes.

Economics does not work when people are handed money for nothing. There is no free money. Someone is paying for it. In this case it's the people who bother to get up every day.

There would be more money available for the betterment of the country if less was being given away in handouts.

The rest of your ramblings don't warrant a repy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Economics does not work when people are handed money for nothing. There is no free money. Someone is paying for it. In this case it's the people who bother to get up every day.

There would be more money available for the betterment of the country if less was being given away in handouts.

Are you a libertarian?

You don't seem to understand anything about economics at all

If you cut dole this has a negative multiplier effect. The money that people on the dole spend in their local economy gets taken out. This means that less local jobs are created and less money is left over for workers. Workers then spend less. Their is then a general loss of demand in the economy, this means that less goods and services have to be produced, meaning job losses in the economy, lowering general workers overall income and effectively the cost saved in Dole payments will act as a massive negative stimulus to the economy. But yeah keep ranting and raving about feeloaders and parasites.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

You don't seem to understand anything about economics at all

If you cut dole this has a negative multiplier effect. The money that people on the dole spend in their local economy gets taken out. This means that less local jobs are created and less money is left over for workers. Workers then spend less. Their is then a general loss of demand in the economy, this means that less goods and services have to be produced, meaning job losses in the economy, lowering general workers overall income and effectively the cost saved in Dole payments will act as a massive negative stimulus to the economy. But yeah keep ranting and raving about feeloaders and parasites.

What happens if people on the dole get jobs instead of living on handouts?
    Tell us what happens to the economy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement