Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Boggles wrote: »
    Sounds like the Catholic Church really.

Which no longer hold any power in Ireland like they used to almost every Islamic country is governed by some sort of Sharia law. The aim of Islam is global denomination and every country governed by Sharia law. Not saying that every Muslim agrees with that either I also believe Muslims are victims of Islam.

Cedrus wrote: »
    Can you offer ANY poof of this trope. Aside from the usual right wing racist groups posting fictions online most of these "reports" have been debunked.

It is true that migrants figure in all crime statistics, but they are not statistically over-represented. Unfortunately, Ireland (like the rest of Europe) has plenty of homegrown rapists and murderers.

Eh the NYE rapes in Cologne, most rape convictions in Sweden are forgein born according to nation tv there and the islmaic grooming gangs in the UK.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45269764

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Look at Mohammed as a prime example he is according to Islam the perfect man who can do no wrong or evil but yet he married a 6 year old and shagged her when she was 9.

Which Koranic scholar did you learn this from? Alex Jones?

Her name was Aisha by the way and there is huge dispute about her age, nobodies age was recorded back then, so nobody really knows what age she was betrothed or married and as his third wife it is entirely possible that the marriage was never consummated, none of this is in the Koran. But hey, 1350 years of internal politicking and backbiting is going to take it's toll on the truth. She fought in the Battle of Basra which was a key point in the schism between Sunni and Shia and the Shia never forgave her.

It is truly amazing in the 21st century that there are still imbeciles who believe medieval propaganda, even more so when that propaganda comes from the writings of "the wrong coloured people".

Eh the NYE rapes in Cologne, most rape convictions in Sweden are forgein born according to nation tv there and the islmaic grooming gangs in the UK.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45269764

From your own link, did you even bother reading it?

"When Sweden took in its highest number of asylum seekers in 2015, the number of reported rapes declined by 12%. At the height of the migration crisis, some 160,000 migrants arrived there - more per capita than any other EU country."

Doughnut

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Which no longer hold any power in Ireland

But it's a massive part of our heritage.

Something you say you are terrified of losing.

I'm confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Never said that and many white people have raped women which is a disgrace and they should be locked up for a life sentence and I mean the rest of their life behind bars not 20 or 25 years in jail and that would apply regardless of skin colour or religion.

But there is a particular problem with Islam as it promotes the mistreatment of women and pedophilia. Look at Mohammed as a prime example he is according to Islam the perfect man who can do no wrong or evil but yet he married a 6 year old and shagged her when she was 9.

So basically all Muslims are rapists

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Which no longer hold any power in Ireland like they used to .

Have you tried getting a school place for a child recently?

Cedrus wrote: »
    Which Koranic scholar did you learn this from? Alex Jones?

Her name was Aisha by the way and there is huge dispute about her age, nobodies age was recorded back then, so nobody really knows what age she was betrothed or married and as his third wife it is entirely possible that the marriage was never consummated, none of this is in the Koran. But hey, 1350 years of internal politicking and backbiting is going to take it's toll on the truth. She fought in the Battle of Basra which was a key point in the schism between Sunni and Shia and the Shia never forgave her.

It is truly amazing in the 21st century that there are still imbeciles who believe medieval propaganda, even more so when that propaganda comes from the writings of "the wrong coloured people".

So no proof Mohammed even existed in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Mohammed, jesus, buddah, ganesh... take your pick, no proof any of the 3000+ "gods" or prophets ever existed.

Have you tried getting a school place for a child recently?

Thought that was being done away with. A lot of the difficulties getting into schools can be blamed on immigration particularly in west Dublin.

• Advertisement

Thought that was being done away with. A lot of the difficulties getting into schools can be blamed on immigration particularly in west Dublin.

Proof for this ridiculously racist claim please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man I wish I lived in a world where all life's mundane problems could be laid at the feet of immigrants. Truly the Simpsons continues to be a herald, ..."even when it was the bears, I knew it was 'dem immigrants!"

Nope. No proof whatsoever.

There is a load of stuff written in various books that the three Abrahamic religions consider "truth" The Torah, The Old Testament and the Koran follow the same narrative with the same players and while it mostly makes good moral sense, there is little proof that any of it actually happened, or even that Yaweh, Christ or Allah, never mind their prophets, ever existed.
    Unless of course, you read one of those testaments and believe what you read.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I was actually referring to the challenge of finding a school that won't be bringing in men in dresses to tell makey-uppey stories to children. Given that the Catholic Church control 95% or more of the schools in the country, that's a serious issue. Teachers still get marked for their religious ethos at job interviews. Teachers can't be open about their religion, or their atheism, or their sexuality if that conflicts with the ethos of the school.

And you don't think we have religious control?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I don't like Gemna because she gives people who are politically right of centre a bad name.

It is possible to have cautious conservative opinions and to not think that our culture lies in Catholism or some other weird form of puritanism or that it lies in our diet or our modes of transport or other nonsense Gemma finds herself against.

She weakens the Right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

humberklog wrote: »
    I don't like Gemna because she gives people who are politically right of centre a bad name.

It is possible to have cautious conservative opinions and to not think that our culture lies in Catholism or some other weird form of puritanism or that it lies in our diet or our modes of transport or other nonsense Gemma finds herself against.

She weakens the Right.

Of course it is.

The problem is the polarization caused by social media, especially Twitter but Facebook is doing its bit by helping users create echo chambers. Twitter rewards facile and extreme opinions while discouraging insightful, reasoned discourse.

It's important not to spend too much time online and I think there's a risk that the next generation isn't heeding this and we're likely to see more crackpot nonsense as a result. I have Conservative family and friends who aren't anti-vaxxers or climate change deniers. I know several left wingers and feminists who never mention patriarchy or transgender bathrooms. IRL, most people are reasonable. The internet makes the crackpots seem louder and more numerous than they actually are.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Yet you’re convinced he was a pedophile?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Yet you’re convinced he was a pedophile?

That would be the belief by many Muslims that he married Aisha when she was 6 and shagged her when she was 9. I'm not a fan of any religion including Christaianity but there just seems to be a lot more credibility to it than Islam who just seems to me like a complete load of made up nonsense that goes against human nature.

Don't get me wrong Christanity has a lot of made up nonsense to it too but Islam more so. Fasting during Ramadan for example is not natural and allows an excuse for people to turn to gluttony. Christanity also doesn't have nonsense like circumcision both male and female.

That would be the belief by many Muslims that he married Aisha when she was 6 and shagged her when she was 9. I'm not a fan of any religion including Christaianity but there just seems to be a lot more credibility to it than Islam who just seems to me like a complete load of made up nonsense that goes against human nature.

Don't get me wrong Christanity has a lot of made up nonsense to it too but Islam more so. Fasting during Ramadan for example is not natural and allows an excuse for people to turn to gluttony. Christanity also doesn't have nonsense like circumcision both male and female.

Talking snakes.
    Incest.
    900 year old men
    Zombies.

To name but a few.

Yeah, Christianity is way more logical :rolleyes:

Talking snakes.
    Incest.
    900 year old men
    Zombies.

To name but a few.

Yeah, Christianity is way more logical :rolleyes:

Yeah but they're all not an intergral part of Christianity that are commonly associated it with it even by just followers. Irrational elements of Islam are all an intergral part. Christianity also doesn't control most of it's followers lives where as Islam does.

• Advertisement

Yeah but they're all not an intergral part of Christianity that are commonly associated it with it even by just followers. Irrational elements of Islam are all an intergral part. Christianity also doesn't control most of it's followers lives where as Islam does.

You have spoken to "most" muslims i suppose, or is this just another sweeping statement by you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm sure you blame immigration for the weather aswell.

Tbf I'm not sure how much consent was involved in the immaculate conception. That seems like it could be classified as rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Suttree

Yeah but they're all not an intergral part of Christianity that are commonly associated it with it even by just followers. Irrational elements of Islam are all an intergral part.

Luke 22:19 - you're meant to believe you engage in an act of cannibalism every Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'm sure you blame immigration for the weather aswell.

I think he blames immigrants for everything in the country.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

The Catholic church had a huge amount of control over the everyday lives of its followers, even in my own lifetime, and I'm still in my 30's. Islam certainly doesn't have a monopoly on abusing dogma to manipulate people's lives.

As to modern day followers of Islam, unsurprisingly, it really depends on the Muslim in question. I live in a Muslim neighbourhood, many of my friends and colleagues are Muslim, and I can assure you that there are just as many fairweather Muslims as there are fairweather Catholics. Islamic fundamentalism by no means represents the entirety of the 1.8 billion followers of Islam, it's just the easiest one to point to when making an argument against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

Suttree wrote: »
    Luke 22:19 - you're meant to believe you engage in an act of cannibalism every Sunday.

"In remembrance"is hardly cannibalism to be fair.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Bit of a stretch, in fairness.

Luke 22:19 - And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Suttree

mike_ie wrote: »
    Bit of a stretch, in fairness.

Luke 22:19 - And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

Was that one of the main points of the various Reformations - Protestants believed it was only a representation of the body of Christ, and done as a symbol, whereas the Church emphasised only the appearance of bread and wine remained, and it was actually the body and blood of Christ, so he could be present in the Eucharist?

If we're talking about illogical practices that are a fundamental part of the religion, I'm not sure the Church should get a pass on that one. I miss my dog, but I could think of better ways of remembering him.

Was that one of the main points of the various Reformations - Protestants believed it was only a representation of the body of Christ, and done as a symbol, whereas the Church emphasised only the appearance of bread and wine remained, and it was actually the body and blood of Christ, so he could be present in the Eucharist?

If we're talking about illogical practices that are a fundamental part of the religion, I'm not sure the Church should get a pass on that one. I miss my dog, but I could think of better ways of remembering him.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucharist
    While all agree that there is no perceptible change in the elements, Roman Catholics believe that their substances actually become the body and blood of Christ (transubstantiation)

Nothing strange about that at all :pac:

• Advertisement

I think he blames immigrants for everything in the country.

No I blame the people in charge for letting large numbers in. You can hardly blame the immigrants themselves as they've practically been handed an open invite to come in and scam the system in many cases especially with DP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement