Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

enricoh wrote: »
    Ah, i get you.
    So 44% in 2016 is now 56% in 2019. In a time of full employment, wow, a never ending crisis so.
    We are truly blessed!

I suspect the 56% quoted from the indo was incorrect.

I suspect they reversed the figures.

The only figures I can find are from 2016, maybe there are more recent ones though, I can't find them.

Kimsang wrote: »
    Which non-european country could you go to and become a citizen of that country?

The U.S., Australia and many others

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

DubInMeath wrote: »
    The U.S., Australia and many others

How do you become a citizen of Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,247 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Blueshoe wrote: »

Emigrate legally, stay 5 years, apply for citizenship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

How do you overstay the 2 year visa? You mean get a working visa?

• Advertisement

Oh I didn't know that.

So anyone can just apply for a visa? Permanent residency I presume?

Apply for permanent residency under one of the routes that allow it.

Oh I didn't know that.

So anyone can just apply for a visa? Permanent residency I presume?

Not just anybody. you have to meet skills requirements.

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=How+to+become+an+Australian+citizen

Get sponsored I presume. The company sponsoring the applicant must show that there are no suitable native candidates for the same job . Hence having to sponsor someone from overseas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Not just anybody. you have to meet skills requirements.

Exactly you have to meet skills requirements which we don't but should have here in Ireland. Anyone can rock up to Ireland such as asylum seekers, forgein language students etc. Without any way of deporting or sending them home if they overstay their visa or entered the country illegally in the first place.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Exactly you have to meet skills requirements which we don't but should have here in Ireland. Anyone can rock up to Ireland such as asylum seekers, forgein language students etc. Without any way of deporting or sending them home if they overstay their visa or entered the country illegally in the first place.

Nothing wrong with a bit of common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 40,978 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Stop lying. We don't have mass uncontrolled immigration in Ireland. We have an immigration system that is controlled through the Department of Justice.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Stop lying. We don't have mass uncontrolled immigration in Ireland. We have an immigration system that is controlled through the Department of Justice.

I don't think you can emigrate to Australia to sit on social welfare and wait for a house. Most come here to work hard and make a life for themselves but not all .

Would you agree?

Well they're obivously not doing a good enough job at controlling it or at least as good a job as the Australian governement are

Well they're obivously not doing a good enough job at controlling it or at least as good a job as the Australian governement are

australia control theirs by shipping asylum seekers to offshore islands.

They broke the law they tried to enter Austrailia ILLEGALLY so they should face the consequences for their actions. Asylum seekers in Ireland are doing the exact same thing but are allowed stay despite entering the country illegally.

They broke the law they tried to enter Austrailia ILLEGALLY so they should face the consequences for their actions. Asylum seekers in Ireland are doing the exact same thing but are allowed stay despite entering the country illegally.

claiming asylum is not illegal.

Those are the ones that apply for asylum. They are sent to Nauru or Christmas Island
    The ones coming over on boats similar to those in the Mediterranean are met by the navy who will force the boats to turn around. By force if necessary.

They don't hide that fact either.
    It's a great system

claiming asylum is not illegal.

Entering the country without the correct documents is.

• Advertisement

Entering the country without the correct documents is.

they ones they ship to the islands are asylum seekers.

they ones they ship to the islands are asylum seekers.

It's not illegal to apply for asylum but it is illegal to attempt to enter a country without the correct documentation. Illegals apply for asylum hence making them legal until their case is heard.

It's not illegal to apply for asylum but it is illegal to attempt to enter a country without the correct documentation. Illegals apply for asylum hence making them legal until their case is heard.

and until their case is heard they just lock them up. unsurprisingly you dont have an issue with locking up somebody who hasn't broken any laws.

and until their case is heard they just lock them up. unsurprisingly you dont have an issue with locking up somebody who hasn't broken any laws.

What would you do with them instead of locking them up?

I don't see the problem with sending asylum seekers to islands is either. They are free to withdraw their case for asylum and return home. If their cases are genuine they remain in the holding centres on the islands I'm sure if you got a good dose of torture or you life was genuinely in danger (which the majority of asylum seekers are not) you wouldn't be complaining about the conditions.

treat them like human beings? its a crazy idea i know.

I'm sure if their genuinely running for their lives all they would want is basic human needs like food and shelter

You need to expand on that.
    What exactly would you do with them?

Treat th like humans could mean anything

They are being treated like human beings where's your evidence their not?

• Advertisement

You need to expand on that.
    What exactly would you do with them?

Treat th like humans could mean anything

It certainly doesnt mean locking them up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement