Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing the Current Affairs/IMHO forum

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Discodog wrote: »
    That's why I think it would help if there was a way for the reporter to know that the report has been seen by a moderator.

The big problem seems to be the sheer volume in the busy fora. Maybe a pop up page explaining the valid reasons for reporting so that people check the validity before they post.

Sometimes a mod will see something in a thread without having even seen the reported post and action.
    There are holes in all systems.
    I think it's a matter of trusting that once you've reported something, it's been seen and there has or has not been action taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Personally i would be against having things that might restrict or deter people from reporting, even if it means some of the reports are inaccurate or inappropriate.

I understand what you are saying though, Discodog.

I go through reports at least twice a day. Its usually a lot more than that. If something is not actionable, it doesn't get actioned. If it does, people can see the action. Its kinda of built in. I guess what you are asking is to see that the posts that dont get actioned, have been reviewed? I dont know if thats technically possible.

I do know the mod teams i am on are good ones though (imo). We make sure things are covered off in terms of the reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Baggly wrote: »
    Id have to disagree gozunda. I rely on the reports to help me mod. I dont think it would be possible to mod the fora i do without them.As such, if someone reports someone being uncivil or breaking rules, its more likely to get actioned if reported.

If anyone responds to something they think is breaking the rules, they are leaving themselves open because a) the mods cant stop any further trolling in response to the response (if that makes sense) and b) if tempers flare, both parties will probably end up getting infracted.

Just my 2c on it though!

Btw I dont disagree with the importance of reported posts - just there are occasions when this system doesn't seems to work and results in the same ****e reaccuring again and again

As in the example previously report something - no infraction because its marked as a 'first' offence or whatever with no action taken - and whoever responds to it or more of the same then gets infracted. As I've said a double bind. Unfortunately this does happen imo and is similar to what MM was describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Personally i would be against having things that might restrict or deter people from reporting, even if it means some of the reports are inaccurate or inappropriate.

I understand what you are saying though, Discodog.

I go through reports at least twice a day. Its usually a lot more than that. If something is not actionable, it doesn't get actioned. If it does, people can see the action. Its kinda of built in. I guess what you are asking is to see that the posts that dont get actioned, have been reviewed? I dont know if thats technically possible.

I do know the mod teams i am on are good ones though (imo). We make sure things are covered off in terms of the reports.

I think Boards is a little conflicted. You want people to report posts but then you can get inundated on certain fora. In your experience what percentage are actionable & are any reported out of malice ?

Discodog wrote:
    I think Boards is a little conflicted. You want people to report posts but then you can get inundated on certain fora. In your experience what percentage are actionable & are any reported out of malice ?

There is no conflict for me. When did I say I was inundated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There is no conflict for me. When did I say I was inundated.

As someone who very rarely reports I was surprised at the number of reported posts in AH. I was speaking in general not specifically to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

mad muffin wrote: »
    My videos are mostly African Americans shining a light on the racism bs. Some political satire videos, and Fox News. Your hardly guns see me post cnn, now.

And I have repeatedly said that there is no longer any unbiased news media. That’s why I post videos from African Americans. They sure won’t sweep racism under the rug.

I’ve never reported anything I have disagreed on. I always post with facts and a spotlight on the Democrats hypocrisy.

When you start censoring in the guise of a video dump especially a political satire one. And leave a multi thousand trump bashing thread alone. Well that’s just hypocrisy.

People post facts with the appropriate sources. Yourself and others respond with videos, failing to summarise them or respond to a point a poster has made. No one's censoring you, just pointing out that the videos are out of context with a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

steddyeddy wrote: »
    People post facts with the appropriate sources. Yourself and others respond with videos, failing to summarise them or respond to a point a poster has made. No one's censoring you, just pointing out that the videos are out of context with a discussion.

Bull****.

It’s censorship pure and simple. The admins are at it. Let’s face it. Boards has become a leftist haven.

That’s fine. Boards isn’t a democracy. The people that run boards have their agenda and make sure it’s follow. It’s their prerogative.

But don’t hide behind bull**** and hypocrisy. Own it. Otherwise it just looks like they are ashamed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bull****.

It’s censorship pure and simple. The admins are at it. Let’s face it. Boards has become a leftist haven.

That’s fine. Boards isn’t a democracy. The people that run boards have their agenda and make sure it’s follow. It’s their prerogative.

But don’t hide behind bull**** and hypocrisy. Own it. Otherwise it just looks like they are ashamed.

Maybe if you could put words into discussions your views may carry some weight. Depending on others to do your talking for you is really not on given this is a "discussion" site

Anyway, you are welcome to discuss matters Just stop posting the videos though

Bull****.

But you don't discuss. You expect people to watch something to guess your views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Bull****.

You dump a youtube video with no description of what the video is about or what your point/thoughts are on the video.

Maybe next time do the above and your post won't be deleted, it's not rocket science.

Beasty wrote: »
    Maybe if you could put words into discussions your views may carry some weight. Depending on others to do your talking for you is really not on given this is a "discussion" site

Anyway, you are welcome to discuss matters Just stop posting the videos though
    But you don't discuss. You expect people to watch something to guess your views.

Just because I pepper my posts with videos I don’t discuss? Lol.

My videos show images, real people, and for the fact that you don’t have to take my word for it.

Why are you afraid of the videos I post?

It there is only pepper on the plate, Its not peppering your posts.

Its just eating pepper.

It there is only pepper on the plate, Its not peppering your posts.

Its just eating pepper.

Show me? Can you? Show me there is only pepper on my plate.

mad muffin wrote:
    Show me? Can you? Show me there is only pepper on my plate.

Dude it's your plate. Look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

I haven't looked myself but if you're going to accuse him of posting or spamming videos with no discussion, and telling him to stop, you would think it only fair that you show him some instances of it... We could stop with the pepper nonsense then :)

What did I do wrong?

This is what you did, here, here and here.

Simple.

This is it wrote: »
    I haven't looked myself but if you're going to accuse him of posting or spamming videos with no discussion, and telling him to stop, you would think it only fair that you show him some instances of it... We could stop with the pepper nonsense then :)

What did I do wrong?

This is what you did, here, here and here.

Simple.

Thanks. But they can’t. BECAUSE ITS BULL****.

I didn't hand out the card nor handle any appeal that MM may have made, but the post(s) would have been in the pm when he got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Thanks. But they can’t. BECAUSE ITS BULL****.

Aren't you giving out about your video only posts being deleted? How can people show you what has been deleted?

Although here is one you posted recently.

1. Sure he isn’t.

3. Okay. Fair enough. You’re having a hard time understanding. I get it.

In number 2 you post a video of a man discussing various theories on Kamala Harris's blackness. Is it relevant to the topic of what you were replying to? Yes. But it doesn't actually convey your position at all. You've added nothing to indicate why you posted it or what you think it proves.

MrFresh wrote: »
    Aren't you giving out about your video only posts being deleted? How can people show you what has been deleted?

Although here is one you posted recently.

In number 2 you post a video of a man discussing various theories on Kamala Harris's blackness. Is it relevant to the topic of what you were replying to? Yes. But it doesn't actually convey your position at all. You've added nothing to indicate why you posted it or what you think it proves.

Why are posting it out of context?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110822073&postcount=479

Because it conveys exactly my earlier position that was quoted and refuted. I gave irrefutable evidence. Can’t get more irrefutable than that video. Now can you. There is now desire for discussion. There is just a desire to prove what I’m saying is false. I use the videos as irrefutable evidence. Notice they don’t continue the discussion after that just report my video. Censoring me because they can’t show my position is wrong.

So again. BULL****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Because it conveys exactly my earlier position that was quoted and refuted. I gave irrefutable evidence. Can’t get more irrefutable than that video. Now can you. There is now desire for discussion. There is just a desire to prove what I’m saying is false. I use the videos as irrefutable evidence. Notice they don’t continue the discussion after that just report my video. Censoring me because they can’t show their position is wrong.

Jaysus, The victim card is your only go to place at this stage.

Jaysus, The victim card is your only go to place at this stage.

So again BULL****.

Because it conveys exactly my earlier position that was quoted and refuted. I gave irrefutable evidence. Can’t get more irrefutable than that video. Now can you. There is now desire for discussion. There is just a desire to prove what I’m saying is false. I use the videos as irrefutable evidence. Notice they don’t continue the discussion after that just report my video. Censoring me because they can’t show my position is wrong.

So again. BULL****.

You post a video in isolation and expect people to look at it all and guess your views on it?

You post a video in isolation and expect people to look at it all and guess your views on it?

Isolation? BULL****

Isolation? BULL****

Ok what exactly was your point with the video? Could you summarise it.

Ok what exactly was your point with the video? Could you summarise it.

Did you read my initial post? Because I clearly spelt out in my initial post that Harris is now going on as if she is African American. When she first was sworn into congress she identified as Indian America. It even said it under her name.

The video explained it perfectly. I wouldn’t have posted the video,if,it didn’t show my initial position.

These videos are not posted without context or comment.

Why are people so afraid of them?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Why are you afraid of the videos I post?
    I'm not interested in the videos you post. They are not discussion - they are an easy cop out for you to avoid proper discussion

Anyway you've had plenty of warnings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

So again. BULL****.

Because your context doesn't make it any clearer what you are trying to say. Do you think it proves Kamala Harris isn't black? The video just gives lots of opinions on it. The guy in the video seems to be making the point that Trump Jnr isn't racist because other people discuss her blackness. Was that your point? Because that doesn't really fit in with the context you just posted. Surely you see how a video alone can not convey a point without some direction from the poster.

MrFresh wrote: »
    Because your context doesn't make it any clearer what you are trying to say. Do you think it proves Kamala Harris isn't black? The video just gives lots of opinions on it. The guy in the video seems to be making the point that Trump Jnr isn't racist because other people discuss her blackness. Was that your point? Because that doesn't really fit in with the context you just posted. Surely you see how a video alone can not convey a point without some direction from the poster.

Can’t you read? It’s end of discussion.

• Advertisement

I reported a video dump

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110823287&postcount=740

I’d like for it to be actioned please. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement