Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5,459 applicants turned down an offer of social housing since 2016.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Do you have some evidence that proves I am wrong? I stated that it's what I believe. I'm open to having my beliefs challenged and changing them. But it'll take more than you crying "fake news".
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Do you have some evidence that proves I am wrong? I stated that it's what I believe. I'm open to having my beliefs challenged and changing them. But it'll take more than you crying "fake news".

If you are lying you get taken off. The idea that 50% are lying and getting away with it is not believable. Varadkar doesn't believe it and it's in his interest to side with people like yourself. You're making up the 50%. I say 99.9% are genuine. Can you prove me wrong? See how silly this is?
    El_Bee wrote: »
    You've taken one aspect of what I've been saying throughout this thread and twisted it around, very dishonest of you, you've also resorted to insults from the get go, there's nothing to be gained from further engagement with you.

Your post was condescending ignorant and insulting. I responded as best I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

If you are lying you get taken off. The idea that 50% are lying and getting away with it is not believable. Varadkar doesn't believe it and it's in his interest to side with people like yourself. You're making up the 50%. I say 99.9% are genuine. Can you prove me wrong? See how silly this is?

As I said, the 50% (plus) is my belief. I haven't researched it in depth. I belief that from what I have read and heard. Someone earlier mentioned that 20% of the "homeless" were working. I have no issue with my tax money being spent on helping these people into some sort of permanent accommodation where they can support themselves and eventually move on from needing state assistance.

Of the remaining 80%, I believe (based on what I have read and heard about the "crisis") that a quarter to a third of them, genuinely need state support. And I have no issue with my tax money going towards that.

I do have a problem with my taxes being spent on people who don't work, don't want to work and will never work and expect everything to handed to them. Including a house. And I think that is the majority of the people who claim to be "homeless".

You stated that I was wrong. I have never stated that you are definitely wrong. You maybe right about the 99.9% Thats up to you to prove/justify.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Fr Peter and his ilk are part of the problem. Close down the multitude of homeless charities and bring them under one department, thereby cutting out the many duplicated services and saving millions of euro. Money that could be better used to actually house people.

Have Fine Gael or their supporters ever approached a problem where the first and only solution is not to automatically set up a huge quango?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Boggles wrote: »
    Have Fine Gael or their supporters ever approached a problem where the first and only solution is not to automatically set up a huge quango?

Or blame the victims.

• Advertisement
Advertisement