Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5,459 applicants turned down an offer of social housing since 2016.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Have to agree. Murphy reacting to his disastrous idea in shared accommodation, with a press release blaming the scroungers on refusing houses.

Murphy's idea for shared living hit FG in the local elections. What kind of a clown thought 40+ people would be 'excited' to share a kitchen and live in a room the size of a disabled parking space. The disconnect with the FG elite is almost hilarious.

_Brian wrote:
    I don’t think any government are 100% honest in their statements, this one no more or less than the others.

It's reasonable to expect a large degree of honesty. You have suggested the present FG government is entirely dishonest and populist. The evidence to date would suggest you may be correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Murphy's idea for shared living hit FG in the local elections. What kind of a clown thought 40+ people would be 'excited' to share a kitchen and live in a room the size of a disabled parking space. The disconnect with the FG elite is almost hilarious.

It was an idea.

Why can’t all ideas be explored if were in a “homeless” crisis?

No one was been forced to live there, if people want to they can if not no big deal

Other countries do it but of course it’s not good enough for us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

It was an idea.

Why can’t all ideas be explored if were in a “homeless” crisis?

No one was been forced to live there, if people want to they can if not no big deal

Other countries do it but of course it’s not good enough for us.

The briefest glance on boards will show you countless threads from people asking advice about noisy disruptive neighbours from the small annoyances up to court cases.

Shared accommodation simply wouldn’t work here. Bizarre Murphy wasn’t asked would he be happy to live in such circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The briefest glance on boards will show you countless threads from people asking advice about noisy disruptive neighbours from the small annoyances up to court cases.

Shared accommodation simply wouldn’t work here. Bizarre Murphy wasn’t asked would he be happy to live in such circumstances

Why are we so different to other nationalities?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

This response is a perfect example of why we have a so called ‘crisis’. No imagination, no willingness to compromise, NIMBYism etc.

It was an idea.

Actually it's in the planning process, did you not get the memo from HQ? The backlash should have been an indicator how repugnant an 'idea' it is. As for forcing people, if this' tenement type ' of accommodation is all that is available if course people are forced. Would you share a kitchen with 40+ people and dwell in a space equal to a disabled parking space?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

That’s not bizarre at all??

That’s like saying we should ask him if he would live in Sligo as other people want too.

If people want to live in co-op what’s the big deal????

No one is forcing anyone.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Why are we so different to other nationalities?

When it comes to home ownership and all that it’s a colonial hangover I reckon.
    We have totally opposite views on living circumstances and property ownership than our European cousins.

And our only experiences of it are tenement life. Something members of my family can still recall and none of it good

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

https://www.thejournal.ie/murphy-social-housing-4678670-Jun2019/

Murphy says it's 'ultimately fair' those who turn down two 'reasonable' social housing offers be blacklisted for 5 years

Is this fair?

I think so, a lot of these probably remain “homeless” after turning down perfectly good houses.

This homeless crisis is greatly exaggerated.

Sure. It sounds like a perfectly reasonable suggestion.

However what happens in the intravening 5 years? State footing the hotel bill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

you are not "homeless" if you are living in a hotel for free.

This response is a perfect example of why we have a so called ‘crisis’. No imagination, no willingness to compromise, NIMBYism etc.

Eh no we have a crisis because 20/30 years of successive governments haven’t been building social housing and then allowed banks repossess homes post the crash. *when enda himself said he would not allow one home to be repossessed in one of his election promises.

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    you are not "homeless" if you are living in a hotel for free.

A hotel room is not a home. If you think it is try living in one with your wife and two kids and not allowed cook for them or get them to school everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

A hotel room is not a home. If you think it is try living in one with your wife and two kids and not allowed cook for them or get them to school everyday.

tell that to someone sleeping in a park.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

This is a simple tactic by Murphy to be seen to be doing something. I agree with the policy.

But for jaysus sake, he's a Minister for housing, trying to divert blame for a national housing crisis on .001% of the entire population.

100th of a single percent!

Even all those waiting on social housing is a drop in the ocean. There are many, many more working people, who don't apply for/aren't eligible for social housing. They don't want a free house, they want to actually pay for their own house, but can't. Even when working full time, and fully contributing to the economic machine.

If he's trying to say that a 100th of a percent of the population are the reason why a post man, or teacher, or hotel manager can't buy a house, well that's bo!!ocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Eh no we have a crisis because 20/30 years of successive governments haven’t been building social housing and then allowed banks repossess homes post the crash. *when enda himself said he would not allow one home to be repossessed in one of his election promises.

We probably have the lowest level of house repossessions in Europe. It takes years to repossess a home and it usually only happens when the borrower has made no effort to co-operate. Any repossession that gets that far is entirely justified.

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    tell that to someone sleeping in a park.

Both are homeless. It’s not a competition to see who is more homeless. They both are.

This homeless crisis is greatly exaggerated.

Indeed, we have a waster crisis that is clogging up the social welfare system and genuine folk in need of assistance are the victims, along (to a lesser extent) the tax payer and the general public.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Its plainly obvious that the OP is a shill/apologist for Minister Eoghan Murphy and his frankly cynical and pathetic attempts to deflect the blame for the very real housing crisis away from this inept and utterly disconnected government who have been warned about the difficulties in the housing system, particularly a highly distorted, pressured and dysfunctional private rented sector for years now and did little to properly address the mounting problems.

And I have longstanding expertise in housing policy so I actually know what I am talking about, unlike many on here who carp on about "entitlement culture" and "forever" homes...all these threads on this are getting rather tiresome at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Repossessions have little to nothing to do with the levels of 'homelessness'.. we have some of the lowest levels of repossessions by banks in the Western world. It's why we are paying such a premium in our interest rates.

• Advertisement

Get Real wrote:
    But for jaysus sake, he's a Minister for housing, trying to divert blame for a national housing crisis on .001% of the entire population.

That's the tactic used by FG on a regular basis. Don't forget Leo's famous welfare cheats campaign eventhough senior figures in his department rubbished his claim. They were also blaming insurance costs on scammers until two if their own were caught at it, Bailey and Farrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

When it comes to home ownership and all that it’s a colonial hangover I reckon.
    We have totally opposite views on living circumstances and property ownership than our European cousins.

And our only experiences of it are tenement life. Something members of my family can still recall and none of it good

It's 2019 though, Dublin is a city with plenty of international players looking for a skilled workforce. Family values changed, the need for housing changed. There's a failure on a large scale to cater to different age groups with different housing needs. The rental market is dysfunctional.
    Shared living is a good alternative - as one of many. Same as people living in small apartments or big houses, there needs to a variety of options because not everyone needs a 3bed semi.

Irish cities changed a lot over the last 2 decades and every attempt to catch up to the future is effectively turned down. The sprawl can't be infinite. That's why the market is such a disaster, why properties are severely under- or over-occupied. That's why public transport is so horrendous. Too many don't want the change that makes the city better as a whole because it could inconvenience them in one way or the other.

Whatever happened the people who turned down new taxpayer-funded houses because they didn't come with stables for their horses?

That was a dream After Hours thread.

More seriously, if the allocation of social housing is done fairly, and you cannot get a better home via knowing somebody in the local council, then I don't think they should have a right of refusal. Are properties allocated fairly/on need? Personally, I feel that houses in the many underpopulated urban areas outside Dublin should be offered to people, given that most Irish people who work must move from their home area (usually to Dublin or abroad). That way the state will get far more houses for the money. This notion that Dubliners, and non-working Dubliners in this case, have a right to live in Dublin needs to be buried when all across Ireland actual workers do not have a right to live in their home place due to the lack of jobs there.

However, the politics of all this remains the same: it is unacceptable to the vast, vast majority of Irish people that children will suffer because their parents are gaming the system. The parents know this so are openly using their children to guilt trip the state to give them more. In all of these threads, nobody has come up with a solution to this. Has anybody a serious solution to this?

LirW wrote: »
    It's 2019 though, Dublin is a city with plenty of international players looking for a skilled workforce. Family values changed, the need for housing changed. There's a failure on a large scale to cater to different age groups with different housing needs. The rental market is dysfunctional.
    Shared living is a good alternative - as one of many. Same as people living in small apartments or big houses, there needs to a variety of options because not everyone needs a 3bed semi.

Irish cities changed a lot over the last 2 decades and every attempt to catch up to the future is effectively turned down. The sprawl can't be infinite. That's why the market is such a disaster, why properties are severely under- or over-occupied. That's why public transport is so horrendous. Too many don't want the change that makes the city better as a whole because it could inconvenience them in one way or the other.

Well one idea would be to stop giving planning permission to endless hotels start building high density housing in and around the city to sustain incoming industry and investment and use up the landbanks.

In effect do something. They’re not doing any of this or anything you mentioned either.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    And I have longstanding expertise in housing policy so I actually know what I am talking about, unlike many on here who carp on about "entitlement culture" and "forever" homes...all these threads on this are getting rather tiresome at this stage.

Could be a CO or working for some "charity".
    Self proclaimed expertise isn't overly impressive to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

There is no homeless crisis.

Would ya go away, we have a major housing problem round the cites.

I walked round Dublin city centre this week and there are people living in tents near the four courts.

I looked at a job in Bray and decided to check the local rentals, I saw one on daft 600 bucks a month to share with an owner occupier.

Mad insane rental costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Well one idea would be to stop giving planning permission to endless hotels start building high density housing in and around the city to sustain incoming industry and investment and use up the landbanks.

In effect do something. They’re not doing any of this or anything you mentioned either.

We're on the same page here. There's a total standstill, especially for the average working Joe, Mary and their sprogs.
    My father-in-law is for example a poster NIMBY who actively objects to projects in the area he lives in. He can't get his head around the fact that if there would be a higher density of housing we would probably be able to live closer to them (we're 90km away).

As for social housing, I think the whole country needs to be split into a handful of areas, like Greater Dublin, South-East, Greater Cork, Munster East and West etc. To form big housing bodies. There need to be reviews where people work and that weighs into the decision where they'll be offered housing, in a reasonable driving distances from work, while long-term social welfare recipients will be offered housing further away in the same council.
    There's literally no means assessment as it stands unless you're on the list for medical priority.
    It is insanity that every council is doing their own thing and fobs people off to where they're from.
    Plus a strict anti-social behaviour policy.

As it stands the micromanagement is ruining the whole system.

LirW wrote: »
    We're on the same page here. There's a total standstill, especially for the average working Joe, Mary and their sprogs.
    My father-in-law is for example a poster NIMBY who actively objects to projects in the area he lives in. He can't get his head around the fact that if there would be a higher density of housing we would probably be able to live closer to them (we're 90km away).

As for social housing, I think the whole country needs to be split into a handful of areas, like Greater Dublin, South-East, Greater Cork, Munster East and West etc. To form big housing bodies. There need to be reviews where people work and that weighs into the decision where they'll be offered housing, in a reasonable driving distances from work, while long-term social welfare recipients will be offered housing further away in the same council.
    There's literally no means assessment as it stands unless you're on the list for medical priority.
    It is insanity that every council is doing their own thing and fobs people off to where they're from.
    Plus a strict anti-social behaviour policy.

As it stands the micromanagement is ruining the whole system.

Couldnt agree more.
    I’d love to float my idea of making Athlone a proper city, build infrastructure intensively and industrial parks and housing, give it an airport and make it Ireland’s central hub.

Lala land on my part but I think it would work out brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Couldnt agree more.
    I’d love to float my idea of making Athlone a proper city, build infrastructure intensively and industrial parks and housing, give it an airport and make it Ireland’s central hub.

Lala land on my part but I think it would work out brilliantly.

I am not from Limerick but I think Limerick should be made the capital. Already has good links and has a great setting.

I would actually split functions between Limerick and Derry but obviously Derry must wait. Both have a great natural setting for state buildings and horrible accents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Augeo wrote: »
    JupiterKid wrote: »

Could be a CO or working for some "charity".
    Self proclaimed expertise isn't overly impressive to be honest.

Actually I am an academic with a PhD and many peer reviewed publications on the subject.. but sure don't take my word for it. Feel free to rant on....

Advertisement