Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5,459 applicants turned down an offer of social housing since 2016.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I take it you’ve never been homeless or know how easy it is to find yourself homeless.
    There are a great many homeless men who’ve come from broken marriages and had to leave the family home and are working and can’t get anywhere to rent or share.
    Are they scroungers too?

No. Have I somehow given you the impression that I think that they are?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    No. Have I somehow given you the impression that I think that they are?

So the group I mentioned aren’t, but the rest of them are?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

El_Bee wrote: »
    Those are people's homes, they've lived there their entire lives, but sure kick them out and knock them down for the "greater good".
    Exactly.
    We're in this mess because people think the guvvermint is mana from heaven, this sentiment typifies the culture of entitlement we need to break, not increase.
    It's spelled government. Why don't you eff off back to yankland.

So the group I mentioned aren’t, but the rest of them are?

Nope. Didn't say that either. Have you worked out what a majority is yet? You realise that 20% isn't a majority?

To be clear, I believe that the majority (over 50%) of the people claiming to be homeless are scroungers looking for a free home from the taxpayer.

To be clear, I believe that the majority (over 50%) of the people claiming to be homeless are scroungers looking for a free home from the taxpayer.

I'd agree.
    They (many) could probably live with family but won't as they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they aren't homeless.
    They'll get the forever home eventually too, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Exactly.

wonderful, the value(and I don't mean monetary) of a a person's home means nothing to you, speaks volumes about your character.

It's spelled government. Why don't you eff off back to yankland.

I'm well aware of how it's spelled, but yeah focus on that instead of the point I was making, strong move

501.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Nope. Didn't say that either. Have you worked out what a majority is yet? You realise that 20% isn't a majority?

Who said anything about majority by the way? What are you on about?

And you can’t call them scroungers for wanting a home when out government and councils are demonstrably doing absolutely nothing to provide them or anyone with homes

So you can stop that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I'm well aware of how it's spelled, but yeah focus on that instead of the point I was making, strong move
    You haven't even made a point that can be rebutted. You are just rambling incoherently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

This homeless crisis is greatly exaggerated.

Is it though? Anyone on HAP is considered not homeless even though they cannot afford to provide a home for themselves. Government like massaging the numbers and they are not going to massage them upward.

What are you backing that up with? 50% seems incredibly high.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

victor8600 wrote: »
    It is a government department you are talking about. 5,459 applicants turned down offers from 2016? It's 3 years, on average 5 refused applications per day. A single effective administrator could deal with all of those over the years. Ok, let's put two people on this!

However, having dealt with government employees personally, it seems that many of them just follow instructions, do the minimal effort and would not take any responsibility.

Sure I know.I am just talking about an ideal world.Or you know....what I would do.!!!Simple solutions to start with....

Who said anything about majority by the way? What are you on about?

And you can’t call them scroungers for wanting a home when out government and councils are demonstrably doing absolutely nothing to provide them or anyone with homes

So you can stop that now.

The other poster was referring to the majority being scroungers and you were countering with 20% of them being employed :confused: Thats why I was asking if you knew what a majority is.

Yes I can call them scroungers if they want me to pay for their home while also paying for their clothes, food, drink, childcare, cigarettes and holidays etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Absolutely. Great post. And it's completely dishonest and another form of "I'm all right Jack" to dismiss it. Obviously you're not literally slaving but you're working hard. And obviously your urine is not literally boiling - it's just an expression.

Imagine being so self entitled and lacking personal responsibility like the people you've described. But "the government"...

They are unemployable though. Generations of taking and being taught that this is the way to live.

I remember working with a woman from South Africa who was not long in Ireland.Came from a wealthy SA background, in her late 50s(and yes, I know SA has some fairly spectacular problems of it's own).Asked me one day how there were so many people without jobs, but they could wear brand labels, drive cars, have big tvs....said she was passing them every day where she lived and just really couldn't figure it out.When I explained government benefits, she looked at me blankly and asked the same thing...do they really get so much that they can still afford the same clothes etc. that her adult kids could??

I didn't really have an answer for her. Measuring against SA where no job means you have absolutely nothing at all in way of possessions, and you are lucky to be living in a hut is obviously not the way to go, but still, it put things in perspective.

You haven't even made a point that can be rebutted. You are just rambling incoherently.

Embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Build a load of social and affordable homes. Ireland has the space.

Building social and affordable housing will make homes cheaper for mortgages too. The whole of society benefits.

What's paid now to rent supplement should be put towards housing stock.

Most other OECD countries give their citizens the opportunity to live in affordable accommodation. Ireland must do the same.

Building social and affordable houses will drive prices down across the board but that's exactly what FG so not want. There will be no change until FG get voted out or the next crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

shesty wrote: »
    I remember working with a woman from South Africa who was not long in Ireland.Came from a wealthy SA background, in her late 50s(and yes, I know SA has some fairly spectacular problems of it's own).Asked me one day how there were so many people without jobs, but they could wear brand labels, drive cars, have big tvs....said she was passing them every day where she lived and just really couldn't figure it out.When I explained government benefits, she looked at me blankly and asked the same thing...do they really get so much that they can still afford the same clothes etc. that her adult kids could??

I didn't really have an answer for her. Measuring against SA where no job means you have absolutely nothing at all in way of possessions, and you are lucky to be living in a hut is obviously not the way to go, but still, it put things in perspective.

Thank god we are not like SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,663 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

shesty wrote: »

Wealthy South African looking down on poor people?

That fits.

:)

People from SA should only be listened to when talking about "rigby" or "'ow to keel de blicks".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

Boggles wrote: »
    Wealthy South African looking down on poor people?

That fits.

:)

Genuinely poor people can't afford branded clothing. You have to ignore the content in said post to come to your conclusion, which is highly dishonest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Genuinely poor people can't afford branded clothing. You have to ignore the content in said post to come to your conclusion, which is highly dishonest.

Go on the Facebook marketplace unbelievable amount of 'branded' clothing at Penny's prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Exactly. Some people dismiss what's right before their eyes because it would mean acknowledging a point by people to whom they are usually ideologically opposed.

Ireland (and elsewhere) has a huge problem with self entitlement and abdication of personal responsibility. This is a significant element of the issue. And I'm not talking about people who are working hard but can't afford a mortgage and need to move out of their accommodation and are struggling to find somewhere else. I don't ever hear their individual stories covered by the media - only the ones who expect everything for free.

Anecdotal I know, but there's a quite a few mothers and gf's driving around in 30k cars despite being on social welfare, make of that what you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Fr Peter and his ilk are part of the problem. Close down the multitude of homeless charities and bring them under one department, thereby cutting out the many duplicated services and saving millions of euro. Money that could be better used to actually house people.

You have to understand these charities are for people who aren't housed, if they could house them they would however they are about support, food, hostels etc. I guarantee you Fr. Peter and his ilk as you put it would be very happy to be put out of business. It must be easy to dismiss these crises when you're that cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,663 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

A Wealthy South African telling poor people how they should live?

How exactly did she or her family accumulate her wealth?

She can fúck off TBH, if she in fact exists at all.

We're in this mess because people think the guvvermint is mana from heaven, this sentiment typifies the culture of entitlement we need to break, not increase.

Actually, we are in this mess because we stopped building social housing and then we got all Tory about housing and sold off public land to private developers, then we start buying social housing at market rates, ****ty deal for the tax payer, then we start assisting developers to build so we can rent or buy off them to use as social housing. Then we made the country very attractive to vulture funds with low taxes on their buying up of property to sell/rent back to us and now we have working people who can't afford rent in the city were they work. So only a complete ass or FG spin merchant would be saying "We're in this mess because people think the guvvermint is mana from heaven".

We need the state to build more social and affordable housing not depend on the private market. They know this but there's more private profit this way and value for the tax payer is their last concern. Hotel rooms are now par for the course ffs....

You're wrong by the way. I know you're just making stuff up and talking shyte, but you're wrong. Evan Varadkar thinks a very small minority are chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

You have to understand these charities are for people who aren't housed, if they could house them they would however they are about support, food, hostels etc. I guarantee you Fr. Peter and his ilk as you put it would be very happy to be put out of business. It must be easy to dismiss these crises when you're that cynical.

Over 70% of the money donated to the Father Peter McVerry Trust ends up as "wages" to Fr Peter and his ilk. They want this gravey train to keep going as long as possible or they will have to go back to real jobs.

Exactly. Some people dismiss what's right before their eyes because it would mean acknowledging a point by people to whom they are usually ideologically opposed.

Ireland (and elsewhere) has a huge problem with self entitlement and abdication of personal responsibility. This is a significant element of the issue. And I'm not talking about people who are working hard but can't afford a mortgage and need to move out of their accommodation and are struggling to find somewhere else. I don't ever hear their individual stories covered by the media - only the ones who expect everything for free.

Entitled? F***ing right. If I work hard and pay taxes I feel entitled to be able to pay my own way.
    Look you leave the housing market to fend for itself for six months and you'll see prices for rentals and buying drop. Then we can see about personal responsibility. You come across as either very naive or trapped in some bubble were you get by just dandy. The game is rigged and the working tax payer on the losing end.

You're wrong by the way. I know you're just making stuff up and talking shyte, but you're wrong. Evan Varadkar thinks a very small minority are chancers.

Do you have some evidence that proves I am wrong? I stated that it's what I believe. I'm open to having my beliefs challenged and changing them. But it'll take more than you crying "fake news".

• Advertisement

Actually, we are in this mess because we stopped building social housing and then we got all Tory about housing and sold off public land to private developers, then we start buying social housing at market rates, ****ty deal for the tax payer, then we start assisting developers to build so we can rent or buy off them to use as social housing. Then we made the country very attractive to vulture funds with low taxes on their buying up of property to sell/rent back to us and now we have working people who can't afford rent in the city were they work. So only a complete ass or FG spin merchant would be saying "We're in this mess because people think the guvvermint is mana from heaven".

We need the state to build more social and affordable housing not depend on the private market. They know this but there's more private profit this way and value for the tax payer is their last concern. Hotel rooms are now par for the course ffs....

You've taken one aspect of what I've been saying throughout this thread and twisted it around, very dishonest of you, you've also resorted to insults from the get go, there's nothing to be gained from further engagement with you.

Advertisement