Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2019/20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

http://twitter.com/OfficialFPL/status/1269995592538882048

Well there it is
    So I now have a choice to make

I’ll prob stick with the plan and just make a couple of changes and keep FH for god knows when
    Annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Is it possible to play Free Hit and Bench Boost in the same week?

I've been messing around with Free Hit selections there but can't see the BB option anywhere now?

No, you never could

• Registered Users Posts: 32,910 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Green&Red wrote: »
    What rules did they put in place?

I missed that

That they were continuing all with Gameweeks and transfers would work as normal. So the rules were business as usual.

Now a few months later they’ve changed the rules and added in a gameweek with unlimited transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

manual_man wrote: »
    Would it make more sense for me to FH than BB? Here's my gw38 team:

De Gea McCarthy
    Boly TAA Lundstram Maguire Holgate
    Sarr Grealish Salah KDB Fernandes
    Jota DCL Aubameyang

*FH and BB my only remaining chips

Edit: I think FH actually suits me better strangely enough. Did a quick FH draft

Henderson
    TAA* Stevens Baldock Targett
    Kdb Sterling Pepe Grealish
    Aubameyang Aguero

Garbage bench. Strong XI though and then happy to go back to my original team after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

km79 wrote: »
    http://twitter.com/OfficialFPL/status/1269995592538882048

Well there it is
    So I now have a choice to make

I’ll prob stick with the plan and just make a couple of changes and keep FH for god knows when
    Annoying

So basically, to confirm, you can not take advantage of the unlimited transfers to prepare for GW 31-38, and then use your FH to take advantage of DGW 30?

This strategy is not possible because it will not revert back to the unlimited transfers team, it will instead revert back to our current team.

Makes my decision very easy at least.

Had a fiddle around there with a BB team for 30 (with the view to WC in 31, so basically just maxing out the week). 3 City is a must of course, then 3 SHU looks like a must too (although hard to find decent options outside of GK and defence). As for Villa and Arsenal, I'm finding it hard to justify 3 players. I might go with just 2. Am I mad?

What do we think of the likes of Ozil and Pepe? Worth a punt? For Villa, is a defensive double up really worth it? And if not, then who do you take in midfield or attack (apart from Grealish of course)?

Thinking the likes of Harvey Barnes or maybe even a punt on Ox or Keita at Liverpool might be better than some of the above options...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

CSF wrote: »
    That they were continuing all with Gameweeks and transfers would work as normal. So the rules were business as usual.

Now a few months later they’ve changed the rules and added in a gameweek with unlimited transfers.

Its semantics but they have done what they said they'd do. Now they have to add in extra GWs and they've thrown these unlimited transfer with that.

I won't die in a ditch defending them but I do think their solution is the fairest thing they could have done.

As they mentioned on FFS their job is to get players back interested, the way to do that is to give unlimited transfers

Green&Red wrote: »
    Its semantics but they have done what they said they'd do. Now they have to add in extra GWs and they've thrown these unlimited transfer with that.

I won't die in a ditch defending them but I do think their solution is the fairest thing they could have done.

As they mentioned on FFS their job is to get players back interested, the way to do that is to give unlimited transfers
    I don't think the fairest way to do it, and the way that keeps the most people interested are the same things. It certainly is the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Feck it I think I'll have some fun and play the free hit, not sure there's any point saving it now. 3 City and 3 Arsenal attackers with treble Sheffield defence and Grealish. What could possibly go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Happy with the Unlimited Transfers, my team needs updating and i badly need some players who have a dgw

Ok I’m over it
    Time to start planning

Will be making very little if any changes at the back
    One of mane or salah will go . Prob mane. Barnes out as well. Might get KDB and fleck in
    That would leave me enough for jota to auba if I decide I hate myself enough . With a view to getting kane in for him in a week or two. If I decide I really really hate myself
    3rd striker is currently DCL. Not sure what to do with him .
    So a sum total of 2 transfers . And I had 2FT

Yep I’m pissed off again :D
    I might actually look at my current teams gw 32 fixtures and free hit yet !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Is there chances of a few more DGW's with fa cup games or is this week the best opportunity to try take advantage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

Morzadec wrote: »
    Don't really understand the rationale for Unlimited Transfers at all?

My team would have been in decent shape this week with 4 DGwers, but I guess I can max it out now.

Have BB, FH and WC in the pocket - anyone in a similar boat?

Seems like this might be a good plan:

GW30: Unlimited Free Transfers (focussed only on this week) and BB to max out the DGW

GW31: WC back to a team that you want for the rest of the season

And then use FH at some other point in time, whenever your team is looking a bit dodge.

Any thoughts on this strategy?

I'm in the same boat and that's my plan.

Take advantage of setting up for a BB on a DGW in GW30+ is the best thing for anyone with the chips and then WC to what I want for rest of season in 31+, only thing is price changes in GW31 might catch me but will monitor as it goes and if means getting in players that are due to go up/down after the 30+ deadline and I'll activate the WC.

FH last GW of the season for a bit of crack then.

manual_man wrote: »
    Edit: I think FH actually suits me better strangely enough. Did a quick FH draft

Henderson
    TAA* Stevens Baldock Targett
    Kdb Sterling Pepe Grealish
    Aubameyang Aguero

Garbage bench. Strong XI though and then happy to go back to my original team after.

I'm thinking similar but will try to get Lundstram in. He'll be very popular, even if his star has dimmed a bit

Brego888 wrote: »
    Is there chances of a few more DGW's with fa cup games or is this week the best opportunity to try take advantage?

It looks like there are no more DGWs.

If I bank the transfer in 30 (am I definitely able to do this?) and play Free Hit in 31, would I have 2 transfers in 32?

Trying to find something in the rules that says whether playing Free Hit eats into your 2 transfers, but maybe the fact that I can’t see it would imply that it does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,086 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Those who have WC and BB still in play have basically stumbled upon what is effectively a cheat code.

CSF wrote: »
    If I bank the transfer in 30 (am I definitely able to do this?) and play Free Hit in 31, would I have 2 transfers in 32?

Trying to find something in the rules that says whether playing Free Hit eats into your 2 transfers, but maybe the fact that I can’t see it would imply that it does not exist.

If you play free hit you will only have one FT next week

It’s hit us hard !

SlickRic wrote: »
    Those who have WC and BB still in play have basically stumbled upon what is effectively a cheat code.

Ah who knows
    Many a team ruined by a wildcard
    And a DGW trap

If you play free hit you will only have one FT next week

It’s hit us hard !

Ok I guess I need to look at doing some tweaking this week then

• Registered Users Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Forgot that GW38 games will all kick off at same time so we might get early team news. FH could be very useful then. Hmm.

• Advertisement

3rd striker spot is a real headache.
    I feel like I should sell DCL due to having the free transfers to do so.......but for who? It is a pure lottery now. I keep looking at Pukki...........I am probably going to end up benching whomever it is anyway and playing 352
    I had planned on bringing rashford in for Jota but now look likely to bring back in Auba (yikes) and then look at moving him in for either kane (double yikes) or Rashford. It is so hard to know what to do . I would have been happier with just my 2 FT I think !
    Captaincy options are thin too. Most likely have to get and captain kdb
    Can't help but think this dgw has all the hallmarks of the biggest dgw trap ever with the inevitable amount of subs and rotation.

A LOT of my current squad are away this week too
    Grealish DCL and fernandez the only "home " players. It is hard get the head around that it prob doesn't matter. It has not even started up and I am wishing it was over already!
    This is why I will be taking a break/retiring from it next year. I was buzzing for the return of the real thing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Forgot that GW38 games will all kick off at same time so we might get early team news. FH could be very useful then. Hmm.

The reasons why they kick off at the same time don't really apply this year.
    Obviously they don't know until after the completion of W37 which are the important games - which is just 5 days or sometimes even 3 days before W38.

There's not enough time to give the fans/police/transport authorities enough notice of fixtures, so they just played every game at the same time.

This year none of those pressures apply, so they could theoretically group the games into a) CL battles b) relegation battle and c) dead rubbers, and play them at three different times.
    The fixtures could be perfect for this, with Chelsea v Wolves and Leicester v MUFC on the last day. At the bottom WHU v AV might be a straight shootout for
    survival.

The reasons why they kick off at the same time don't really apply this year.
    Obviously they don't know until after the completion of W37 which are the important games - which is just 5 days or sometimes even 3 days before W38.

There's not enough time to give the fans/police/transport authorities enough notice of fixtures, so they just played every game at the same time.

This year none of those pressures apply, so they could theoretically group the games into a) CL battles b) relegation battle and c) dead rubbers, and play them at three different times.
    The fixtures could be perfect for this, with Chelsea v Wolves and Leicester v MUFC on the last day. At the bottom WHU v AV might be a straight shootout for
    survival.

They play them all at the same time to protect the integrity of the competition? Almost every league/competition does the same for last round of fixtures within the same league/group
    Why do you think this doesn't apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

Would it be batsh1t crazy to play free hit and fill it up purely with players from the DGW teams? Cant see any other suitable week to play it.

Would it be batsh1t crazy to play free hit and fill it up purely with players from the DGW teams? Cant see any other suitable week to play it.

I don’t think it’s crazy but I don’t know if I’ll do it
    Not ruling it out though to be honest
    Reasonably happy with my current squad and would only take 2/3 transfers to sort it out
    When FFS finally decide to update their season ticker and rate my team for members I am going to have a look at how my squads fixtures for 32 look
    If I can FH and be able to bank in 32 I may well go for it .
    13/15 of my current squad have away fixtures this week so ............

But the other side is
    I would be playing FH to just get Aguero and laporte In really sad I already have Henderson , Egan and Grealish and I would get kdb fleck and auba in on my unimited transfers
    Don’t want any other villa

Jesus my head is wrecked and it’s only Monday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

Trying to get cute with the wildcard in 37 has backfired pretty horrendously I'm at a loss with what to do now. Big issues with the cancelling of h2hs aswell they say you can set a new one up for the 9 weeks but I was in 2 that went to a semis and a final for the last 2 weeks so that wont work and how to solve it now is a mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They play them all at the same time to protect the integrity of the competition? Almost every league/competition does the same for last round of fixtures within the same league/group
    Why do you think this doesn't apply?

Spain splits them on the last day if at all possible. If there is a fixture or group of fixtures that can be played standalone and still protect the integrity (as in no-one gains an unfair advantage) then they do so.

Would you not agree that if WHU v AV is a straight battle for 17th/18th place with no-one else in the mix then there's no reason it couldn't be moved to a different time slot this season?

They have also clearly decided to show as many games as possible to keep Sky Sports (and the others but mainly Sky) sweet.
    Wouldn't Sky love to have a big relegation fight at 2pm and a 4-way battle for the final CL places at 4.30pm. Much better than them both at the same time.

Just a thought anyway, I've read nothing yet to suggest this as a possibility. But it's the one year that it is possible to do it at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

SlickRic wrote: »

How do you reckon that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Spain splits them on the last day if at all possible. If there is a fixture or group of fixtures that can be played standalone and still protect the integrity (as in no-one gains an unfair advantage) then they do so.

Would you not agree that if WHU v AV is a straight battle for 17th/18th place with no-one else in the mix then there's no reason it couldn't be moved to a different time slot this season?

They have also clearly decided to show as many games as possible to keep Sky Sports (and the others but mainly Sky) sweet.
    Wouldn't Sky love to have a big relegation fight at 2pm and a 4-way battle for the final CL places at 4.30pm. Much better than them both at the same time.

Just a thought anyway, I've read nothing yet to suggest this as a possibility. But it's the one year that it is possible to do it at short notice.
    NFL does that too, staggers the last day. They’ll always find some game that has stand alone interest. West Ham/Villa this year could be perfect, probably be a game for 7th, 3rd, 4th etc that could fit the bill

• Advertisement

I am loving the optimism that people think Villa will still be in the relegation fight on the last day.

Advertisement