Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 Season 2019-2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If you were going to do it, this is how you would do it.

Just run next season as normal then have top 6 from one league and top 6 from another league make up the top division of the new league.

From then onwards 1st in Div 2 and last in Div 1 straight swap. 2nd and 11th play off.

----

But I am not certain that divisions are a good idea.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

According to the (London) Times today the Premiership clubs have failed in their latest bid to ring fence the top flight.

If they can’t deliver ring fencing in their own league despite countless attempts at this stage, I can’t see them agreeing to a set up where half the PRL clubs are effectively relegated to a second tier overnight without playing a match. Nor for that matter could I see the other unions agreeing to it no matter what money is on offer (and once it happens, there will inevitably be pressure from the top tier clubs for a bigger slice of the TV money than the second tier clubs).

No, any merged league (if it ever happens) will have to be on the basis of all the top flight clubs retaining that status, so two equal status conferences like the Pro14. Even so, I still can’t see it happening unless the problem of PRL having thirteen shareholders but only twelve playing clubs being resolved somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I don't know. If the big clubs (6 - 8) in England can't guarantee their top flight status via ringfencing well they may be happy to ditch the other clubs and join a combined league, one maybe without relegation. That might suit the union backed clubs better.

A key thing will be what role the RFU wants to play and how much money a tv offer would provide. We saw with soccer in England how the FA allowed the big clubs to break away.

If a tv contract doubled the clubs income and guaranteed no relegation a club like Leicester, Bath or London Irish (all likely to be included in the top 8) would have a big call to make. As a business case it would be a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

This is miles away from happening but even if it were to, the IRFU would hold considerable power and it doesn’t happen without Irish teams.

Despite what some of the deluded Welsh believe, the premiership clubs aren’t changing their league to accommodate six teams (Welsh/Scottish) all of a very average standard (bar Glasgow) with limited support bases.

What CVC would want is the provinces and their large fan bases. A sold out Ricoh Arena/Thomond Park, Leinster travellig to take on Saracens, etc is what CVC would want to be marketing in a tv deal not Wasps vs Dragons in front of ten thousand or Saracens smashing Cardiff/Scarlets by forty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

You mean in front of 40....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Worth remembering that this is only coming up because someone posted an old article from a couple of months back, that was nothing more than speculation to begin with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Worth remembering that this is only coming up because someone posted an old article from a couple of months back, that was nothing more than speculation to begin with.

It was Tigerandahalf who posted the out of date article and it's Tigerandahalf who's keeping it going..........

Gosh we are very tetchy in here. Maybe a win against Wales will solve things.

Anyway the reason I brought it up is the invesent by CVC. You don't invest that money without some solid plan for a return. Nobody has offered any other suggestion as to how it would work out.

Gosh we are very tetchy in here. Maybe a win against Wales will solve things.

Anyway the reason I brought it up is the invesent by CVC. You don't invest that money without some solid plan for a return. Nobody has offered any other suggestion as to how it would work out.

What investment?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What investment?

CVC are reported to be in negotiations with the Pro14/unions about buying a stake. I've seen it somewhere but not bothered searching for the link, I'm sure a quick Google will find something.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    CVC are reported to be in negotiations with the Pro14/unions about buying a stake. I've seen it somewhere but not bothered searching for the link, I'm sure a quick Google will find something.

So we have a report about a possible investment of some unknown amount of money for some unknown amount of control, and we're speculating how an unknown proposal for some unknown league format might deliver a return on this unknown investment.

Riiight.

Would probably be easier if the guy just admitted he hadn't realised the article was old.

This is one of the reports on the pro14 investment.
    http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/pro14-cvc-capital-investment-premiership-rugby
    There is also the potential to combine the leagues end-of-season into an eight-team play-off, according to the report, though where a final is held would inevitably be up for debate. Twickenham Stadium, the home of England Rugby, traditionally hosting the Premiership final while the Pro14 final is arranged at different venues almost every year.

There has also been reports of a potential investment in the 6 Ns.
    They seem to want to put all the rights for the NH (except Top 14) into a single tv deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Allowing Monopolies to happen normally ends up well for the ordinary punter

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

'We’ve had no chats about a British and Irish League' - Pro14 boss https://the42.ie/4784266

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-rugby-pro14-league-team-16824821.amp?__twitter_impression=true

The head of the Pro 14 a few days ago the 42 version and the Wales online version.

No talk of B&I league and rightly says it'd effect the euro comps. and the CVC talks are in early stages, these are the most recent reports and nothing is changing anytime soon, the provinces are this king makers effectively reading both.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

'We’ve had no chats about a British and Irish League' - Pro14 boss https://the42.ie/4784266

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-rugby-pro14-league-team-16824821.amp?__twitter_impression=true

The head of the Pro 14 a few days ago the 42 version and the Wales online version.

No talk of B&I league and rightly says it'd effect the euro comps. and the CVC talks are in early stages, these are the most recent reports and nothing is changing anytime soon, the provinces are this king makers effectively reading both.

You're wasting your time. I already posted that 42 article and was actually told that because Anayi denied it was happening, it meant that it was happening. There's no point arguing against that kind of logic.

https://www.the42.ie/edinburgh-murrayfield-4802415-Sep2019/

This would be good for both Edinburgh and the league. 4/5k in Murrayfield looks dreadful on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

ClanofLams wrote: »

This would be good for both Edinburgh and the league. 4/5k in Murrayfield looks dreadful on tv.

Won't be ready this season though. Good development for them long term. Make it cauldron-like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

ClanofLams wrote: »

Same plans they announced over a year ago: https://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2018/05/plans-for-new-7800-seater-stadium-announced-by-scottish-rugby/ (They submitted planning on May 31st 2018)

So its already been delayed one year, no explanation why other than "its been difficult"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Same plans they announced over a year ago: https://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/2018/05/plans-for-new-7800-seater-stadium-announced-by-scottish-rugby/ (They submitted planning on May 31st 2018)

So its already been delayed one year, no explanation why other than "its been difficult"

Echoes of the RDS. Has been "next summer" for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Echoes of the RDS. Has been "next summer" for years.

I think Edinburghs need is more Dire to be fair. Every year they perservere with Murrayfield is a year of growth missed. Glasgow have given them a roadmap. In reality it should be much easier to grow rugby in Edinburgh.

• Advertisement

Good news for Benetton/Italian rugby. Kieran Crowley has signed new contract until 2022, done a superb job so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Anyone know if they are having fantasy rugby this season? Can't seem to find a link for this season

• Subscribers Posts: 41,013 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

When did Gareth Evans sign for ospreys???

They've picked up a good one there!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Good start from the Cheetahs, 17-0 up against ?Glasgow after 23 minutes. Would be great for the competition to have competitive South African teams

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

KevinK wrote: »
    Good start from the Cheetahs, 17-0 up against ?Glasgow after 23 minutes. Would be great for the competition to have competitive South African teams

They've generally been competitive at home, and doubly so during international breaks as they don't lose many (which is a different problem). Their away form is an issue.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

KevinK wrote: »

They'll probably win a good few games during the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ulster and Munster to come for Cheetahs next.

They'll have a lot of the tougher home games in the books by Week 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Cheetahs have blitzed them in the second half.

I believe they are losing a few players to Super Rugby sides by November. Hopefully form like this can be sustained regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭PMC83

Hmm- looks like PRO14 are locking their match highlights away on pro14.tv, need to log in to view them! No sign of them on youtube..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

PMC83 wrote: »
    Hmm- looks like PRO14 are locking their match highlights away on pro14.tv, need to log in to view them! No sign of them on youtube..

I think last year they weren’t available on YouTube until the Monday after the games.

Advertisement