Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 Season 2019-2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Bristol is a very handy option. Good few flights into it and then train to Cardiff. Did that a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

That's what I thought. What's with the announcement today?

Not sure really. It was the end of May that it was announced as being in Cardiff.

Maybe today is purely to push that tickets will be on sale soon as I don't think they were in the May announcement.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Cardiff City Stadium rather than the Millennium/Principality, oddly enough.

icdg wrote: »
    Cardiff City Stadium rather than the Millennium/Principality, oddly enough.

I don't think that's odd at all. There is absolutely no chance of filling a 75,000 seater stadium for the Pro14 final.

33,000 in Cardiff City Stadium is more achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

There's been 45,000 or just above for the last three finals so capacity in Cardif is low. Plus Cardiff isn't great for accommodation.

The millenium stadium is never available pro 14 finals as they get more money from other events.

• Advertisement

guapos wrote: »
    There's been 45,000 or just above for the last three finals so capacity in Cardif is low. Plus Cardiff isn't great for accommodation.

The millenium stadium is never available pro 14 finals as they get more money from other events.

You're missing one very important point. Last year's final was well attended because it was in Glasgow and Glasgow were in the final. The year before it was in Dublin and Leinster were in the final. The year before was also in Dublin and Munster were in the final.

I can categorically tell you that if any of those games had no local teams, the attendances would have been significantly lower. Pro14 lucked out with the finalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Yeah it's a fair point but I think pro 14 needs to aim higher.

Will be interesting to see Welsh rugby fan reaction to a non Welsh final.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

guapos wrote: »
    Yeah it's a fair point but I think pro 14 needs to aim higher.

Will be interesting to see Welsh rugby fan reaction to a non Welsh final.
    Pro14 doesnt need to aim higher it has to be realistic and has to take into account sides from 5 countries etc. Venue for final had to go to Wales at some time and going to Cardiff city is better for this season. If it sells out very early great and in time maybe millenium will be available but otherwise we cant just go to aviva again or go to few small options in scotland

Pro14 doesnt need to aim higher it has to be realistic and has to take into account sides from 5 countries etc. Venue for final had to go to Wales at some time and going to Cardiff city is better for this season. If it sells out very early great and in time maybe millenium will be available but otherwise we cant just go to aviva again or go to few small options in scotland

Exactly. Should you have two non-Welsh teams, there's no hope you'd even half fill the Principality and the league will look weak. Not even that many Leinster fans travelled to Glasgow because it shortly followed the ECPR final.

A hopping small stadium brings the atmosphere the final needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Exactly. Should you have two non-Welsh teams, there's no hope you'd even half fill the Principality and the league will look weak. Not even that many Leinster fans travelled to Glasgow because it shortly followed the ECPR final.

A hopping small stadium brings the atmosphere the final needs.

It depends on the context. Leinster Connacht brought 35 thousand to Glasgow. If Munster Glasgow was final this year would expect close to a full house. But don’t think there’s much wrong with the selection.

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »
    It depends on the context. Leinster Connacht brought 35 thousand to Glasgow. If Munster Glasgow was final this year would expect close to a full house. But don’t think there’s much wrong with the selection.

Yeah it's a fair point, and I guess it's down to fans who travel but you're right; context and teams is everything. Agreed on the venue too, it's great to see it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You're missing one very important point. Last year's final was well attended because it was in Glasgow and Glasgow were in the final. The year before it was in Dublin and Leinster were in the final. The year before was also in Dublin and Munster were in the final.

I can categorically tell you that if any of those games had no local teams, the attendances would have been significantly lower. Pro14 lucked out with the finalists.

I see your point but its hardly lucking out. There are 4 countries in the competition and 1 of them never makes the final. Odds are you'll get a Welsh or Irish team most years.

Still, they'd need to seriously luck out to fill the Millennium.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

AdamD wrote: »
    I see your point but its hardly lucking out. There are 4 countries in the competition and 1 of them never makes the final. Odds are you'll get a Welsh or Irish team most years.

Still, they'd need to seriously luck out to fill the Millennium.

The only possibility I see of that happening would maybe be a Munster v Leinster final. Even then, they may not fill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

aloooof wrote: »
    The only possibility I see of that happening would maybe be a Munster v Leinster final. Even then, they may not fill it.

I doubt they'd fill it for that. Judgement day 2016 they got almost 70 thousand. I think it is fair to say that an All Wales final would fill it.

I went to Cardiff for Ireland v Canada 2015 WC - realistically that was 70k away fans trying to get to the city. It was a nightmare. We drove from Birmingham, in and back that day. Nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Cheetahs not likely to be competitive if true

https://twitter.com/DjRossouw87/status/1165659203790241793?s=19

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is going to be an issue for them forever. The Cheetahs play in neither Super Rugby nor Europe.

Only playing in the Pro14 means they’ll struggle to attract or keep talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ox Nche, a Springbok produced by the Cheetahs, is moving to the Sharks in November. Oh dear.

These teams are supposed to be here for four more years under the initial agreement. I really can't see them being retained past that point with the disinterest there.

With rumours of more teams joining in 2021, the league should really be considering whether there's any value in more whipping boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Burkie1203 wrote: »

The amount of likes the post have really show how the kings have failed to capture the imaginations of anyone in sa since joining the pro 14 3/4 likes at most on posts offering updates on a mate against an international side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The final score in this game shows the absolute folly of people suggesting that the PRO 14 or even the six nations expand into Georgia. A 77th minute home win against the poorest team in the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The final score in this game shows the absolute folly of people suggesting that the PRO 14 or even the six nations expand into Georgia. A 77th minute home win against the poorest team in the competition.

Sure England's hammering of Ireland there the other day probably puts big question marks over our continued involvement in those competitions as well right? Can't be having results like that in utterly meaningless tune-up matches!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Sure England's hammering of Ireland there the other day probably puts big question marks over our continued involvement in those competitions as well right? Can't be having results like that in utterly meaningless tune-up matches!

No. You are comparing club v country with country v country.

While I see the point you are making I dont think it follows through.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

No. You are comparing club v country with country v country.

While I see the point you are making I dont think it follows through.

It's almost as if trying to take any meaningful reading of any team's overall quality from a meaningless non-competitive warm-up game a month away from the beginning of their seasons is a complete waste of time?

More talk of a British Irish league.
    It seems this is why CVC are investing. They see a return with a combined league.
    They want a stake in the 6 Nations too.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/british-league-really-cards-what-16623150

A quote from a related article

'Getting the four Irish provinces on board - Leinster, Munster, Ulster and Connacht - is seen as important, but the English chief claims "if necessary we will go ahead and do it without them." '

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It seems this is why CVC are investing. They see a return with a combined league.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/british-league-really-cards-what-16623150

'Getting the four Irish provinces on board - Leinster, Munster, Ulster and Connacht - is seen as important, but the English chief claims "if necessary we will go ahead and do it without them." '

That's completely at odds with what Martin Anayi said only yesterday. More Welsh wishful thinking.
    https://www.the42.ie/martin-anayi-pro14-interview-4784266-Aug2019/

“We’ve had no chats about a British and Irish League,” said Anayi. “That’s news to us. We’re focusing on the Pro14. I sometimes laugh because there’s almost ignorance around there being a European Cup. That’s why we play those great games against the English and the French clubs.

EDIT. Oh, I've just noticed you've posted a story from July 21st. You should really check the date on the top of the article.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I get the impression some in the Welsh media are driving this through wishful thinking, rather than any factual reporting - it's always an anonymous English source quoted saying these things. The fact is the English clubs don't want an Anglo-Welsh league, the Welsh clubs on their own would add sweet FA value to their league and would necessitate a conference system with fewer games than they currently have. if there is going to be an enlarged league, they absolutely need the Irish and Scottish teams on board. The Welsh narrative of "oh we want you guys (Irish) involved, but if needs be we'll go ahead without you" is just baloney - no way the English clubs will go for that.

Yes the article is a month old but very relevant given that Martin Anayi has had to deny such talk. We all know CVC are interested in a stake in the pro14. They already have one in the Premiership. So how is an investment company going to turn a profit - a combined league to generate extra revenue seems the only way.

The smaller clubs in England won't want it but you can be damn sure the bigger clubs (who are losing money) would be happy to ditch them if it meant more value for their club.

CVC wouldn't have invested without some plan for a return.

The Welsh media seem to be mentioning a 2 conference system but I think a 2 division system with promotion/relegation could be an option.

The South African involvement in the pro14 doesn't seem to be working unless they will be allowed into Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I don’t see how a multiple division system works, are some of the premiership clubs going to accept being division two all of a sudden? Leinster, Glasgow, Munster, Ulster (depending on how their next few seasons go) would all need to be top tier.

This is always Welsh driven when it comes up. At this stage I almost wish it happened just so they could see it wouldn’t automatically solve their problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Advertisement