Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro14 Season 2019-2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Pro 14 highlights are pretty poor. The Munster highlights around are only two and half minutes long and a third of the highlights is the players shaking hands after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭PMC83

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Pro 14 highlights are pretty poor. The Munster highlights around are only two and half minutes long and a third of the highlights is the players shaking hands after the game.

Wanted to check out the Cheetahs V Glasgow ones, hoping the Cheetahs make something of themselves this year!

mogwai81 wrote: »
    I think last year they weren’t available on YouTube until the Monday after the games.

All up there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Cory Allen has ruptured an ACL and joins Anscombe as a long term injury. The Ospreys are luckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Cory Allen has ruptured an ACL and joins Anscombe as a long term injury. The Ospreys are luckless.

Ospreys will struggle this season

https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/1179088828826607617?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Why the Pro14 doesn’t put together a highlights show for YouTube is beyond me. Could surely be done relatively cheaply, Skype in ex players for perspectives on season so far or latest match etc, maybe one five minute piece on history of different club every week etc

Need to be trying to build interest across league. Cheetahs and Kings are two years in the league and know nothing about either except where they are based and that previously played super rugby.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Why the Pro14 doesn’t put together a highlights show for YouTube is beyond me. Could surely be done relatively cheaply, Skype in ex players for perspectives on season so far or latest match etc, maybe one five minute piece on history of different club every week etc

Need to be trying to build interest across league. Cheetahs and Kings are two years in the league and know nothing about either except where they are based and that previously played super rugby.

Eir had a highlight show last season, some mroe behind the scenes stuff like club histories and so would be cool though!

PMC83 wrote: »
    Eir had a highlight show last season, some mroe behind the scenes stuff like club histories and so would be cool though!

Ah I had forgotten that. I didn’t see it often to be honest but an online one would be much better in terms of views I would think, guessing there isn’t one in SA and premier sports have very limited uk market I think.

When they put up highlights anyway, it doesn’t seem like there would be copyright issues from making a bit of a show out of those highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Ah I had forgotten that. I didn’t see it often to be honest but an online one would be much better in terms of views I would think, guessing there isn’t one in SA and premier sports have very limited uk market I think.

When they put up highlights anyway, it doesn’t seem like there would be copyright issues from making a bit of a show out of those highlights.

It's back again as of this evening - the pro14 hour at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

There are Pro14 highlights of all last week's games on Youtube and Premier Sports has a one hour programme on Fridays

• Advertisement

jacothelad wrote: »
    There lare Pro14 highlights of all last week's games on Youtube and Premier Sports has a one hour programme on Fridays

Cheers. I knew they were on YouTube but had forgotten about the tv show on Eir/Premier.

When they already have twenty minutes or so of highlights on YouTube seems like it wouldn’t be massive cost to make it a show rather than just individual matches. Presenter maybe one constant analyst and one rotating who Skypes representing all different clubs in leagues, Trimble from ulster this week, Martyn Williams Cardiff next week, etc. Add maybe a 5 min segment on history of clubs or something along those lines.

Guess my basic point is the league could market itself much better. I watch it every week and know basically nothing about the cheetahs and kings despite this being their third season. It might extend interest in supporters beyond their own team.

This should really have happened before eir and premier sports got on board though, it might be an issue to have two highlights shows but given the highlights are available online anyway, maybe not.

Should say the Pro14 podcast is a step in the right direction but again about three years late. Think it started last March or so, market is fairly saturated by now, had they done so few years ago would have been much easier to build audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Dont know what rock I was under this summer to miss Ruan Pienaar going to Cheetahs!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,006 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Completely bullish!te penalty try and yellow card in the zebre v dragons game.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Completely bullish!te penalty try and yellow card in the zebre v dragons game.

And to rub salt on the wound...

Second yellow and the zebre winger is sent off.

Expect Cheetahs to get another bonus point win next week against Munster to move them to fifteen from fifteen. Three games against the Kings is almost certainly another fifteen. They’ll be hard to stop making playoffs this year, worrying for both Glasgow and Ulster, good for the league though, home playoff (if they got 2nd) for Cheetahs might ignite some excitement in the competition over there.

https://youtu.be/F5YXtJDp0gA?t=65

i posted about this at the time, but above is the clip where the zebre winger gets yellow carded and a penalty try given away for "tackling a player in the air". Its not very clear in the clip, and ill try to find a better one, but what happens is the dragons are given a penalty advantage and the scrum half decides to pass it long, about 20 m, to the winger. however the pass is very high and the winger has to run forward and leap high to catch the ball over his head at full stretch.
    The defending 14 catches him mid-air to force him over the sideline. The attacker touches down and it goes to the TMO.
    on review the attacker has a foot in touch ever so slightly before the ball is touched down... but the ref decides that there is an offence in that the defender "tackled him in the air" and gives a yellow card and penalty try

now i have a serious problem with this.

First off, when the attacker jumps they are running forward fairly close to full pelt, so momentum would have had him landing within the try area after his jump had the defender not caught him. So is the defender supposed to allow an attacker jump over the tryline unopposed?

second off, the situation was caused by the poor pass. it was way too high and the attacker actually did well to gather. Should poor play be rewarded? should some allowance be made for the actions of the attacking team in these situations (however rare)

third off, should "tackled in the air laws" actually be applicable to a player receiving a pass by hand? It completely makes sense to apply them to kick receiving and competing... but to a pass?

fourth off, and this has been mentioned before, but does it now make it advantageous for attackers to jump into tackles to suck penalties? or score tries if you think you can be unopposed if you jump?

so the question is, what is the defender supposed to do? allow the try to be scored unopposed rather than risk a yellow card and penalty try??

and make matters worse, the winger gets sent off in the second half for a harsh second yellow card.

ever since i played age grade rugby in the early 90s we were always told you were not allowed to jump into tackles as it constituted dangerous play, as you were lifting your legs and feet into an area where a tacklers head would be. Has this now been superceded? It happened over the weekend in a game as well (think it was japan v samoa) where everyone i was watching it with commented immediately when a ball carrier jumped into a tackle that that should have been a penalty against the ball carrier

Expect Cheetahs to get another bonus point win next week against Munster to move them to fifteen from fifteen. Three games against the Kings is almost certainly another fifteen. They’ll be hard to stop making playoffs this year, worrying for both Glasgow and Ulster, good for the league though, home playoff (if they got 2nd) for Cheetahs might ignite some excitement in the competition over there.

The Cheetahs are losing some players to Super Rugby sides in November. This may not last.

The Cheetahs are losing some players to Super Rugby sides in November. This may not last.

Yeah nche and venter are two losses alright. They are obviously much more up to speed currently too than opposition after Currie Cup. But I can’t see them not being top three. Would expect them to get a bonus point win against Munster this weekend and 15 in three matches v the kings (think they have beaten them six out of six in last two seasons, usually with bonus point?) , that would leave them needing 30-35 points from fifteen other league games, would have to really fall apart.

Hadn’t realised Cheetahs coach was leaving, hopefully it has short term impact anyway given their next game is in the sportsground.

Bit mad that their next home game is in February!

• Advertisement

Hadn’t realised Cheetahs coach was leaving, hopefully it has short term impact anyway given their next game is in the sportsground.

Bit mad that their next home game is in February!

They don't play over Christmas so they only have four games left (all away) in the calendar year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Cheetahs and Scarlets setting the pace in their respective conferences. Italian sides now bottom of both conferences.
    Edit : Leinster also going well in Conference A

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Three red cards for the Italian teams now is it already? All very early in games too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

200th appearance today for Ian Keatley in the Pro14. Fantastic achievement for him and great to see him still doing a job in Benneton.

Only the fourth player to reach 200 Pro14/12 caps.

Dragons 13-0 ahead of Glasgow early in second half, they’re obviously missing a lot but still looking like terrible start to season for them. Rennie rumoured to be set for Australia job, season could get away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Dragons 13-0 ahead of Glasgow early in second half, they’re obviously missing a lot but still looking like terrible start to season for them. Rennie rumoured to be set for Australia job, season could get away from them.

18 up now

Bad to worse for them.

18-0 and pretty much all of that down to Glasgow errors

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Glasgow look appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Edinburgh secure the try bonus against Scarlets before half time!

I'm not sure what to make of Scarlets this season. They beat Glasgow and spanked the Dragons. But Glasgow are pretty terrible this season and the Dragons are the Dragons.

• Advertisement

Watching the Kings V Treviso highlights there, looks like Keatley had a good game, lovely cross field kick!

Advertisement