Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGBT and Islam

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

magma69 wrote: »
    A Muslim candidate not only made it onto the ballot but won in the Limerick City West constituency. No idea what his views are on LGBT rights but there you go.

That’s great!
    According to everyone here all the Muslims are anti everything we believe in in Ireland. I’d throw myself off a building If I lived in limerick, so when do these ritual flinging sessions begin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

That’s great!
    According to everyone here all the Muslims are anti everything we believe in in Ireland. I’d throw myself off a building If I lived in limerick, so when do these ritual flinging sessions begin?

When you stop being deflective when proven to be talking nonsense.

When you stop being deflective when proven to be talking nonsense.

The original post is nonsense. And the replies are often hysterically stupid.
    I still am not sure this is a comedy thread or not.

But off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

The original post is nonsense. And the replies are often hysterically stupid.
    I still am not sure this is a comedy thread or not.

But off you go.

You said not even a moderate Muslim would have any hope of getting elected.

I showed that assertion is nonsense by pointing out that there's a Muslim councilor currently elected.

Off I go what?

Correcting people making claims that are demonstrably untrue?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A Muslim candidate not only made it onto the ballot but won in the Limerick City West constituency. No idea what his views are on LGBT rights but there you go.

Jaysus. I'm surprised some people here didnt start jumping up and down about how Limerick is now going to be all about throwing gays off the rooves.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Jaysus. I'm surprised some people here didnt start jumping up and down about how Limerick is now going to be all about throwing gays off the rooves.

Nope they tried the, it was a rigged vote route.

You said not even a moderate Muslim would have any hope of getting elected.

I showed that assertion is nonsense by pointing out that there's a Muslim councilor currently elected.

Off I go what?

Correcting people making claims that are demonstrably untrue?

I meant a Muslim running as a hardline Muslim full shIra law Muslim. And you know that’s what I meant.

Nobody would buy it. We just wouldn’t buy it. I love living in a country where somehow Healy raes get elected as mad as they are hit nobody will buy or support a Gemma o Doherty kind of stupidity.

We don’t have that kind of toxic media that elevates that stupidity and it’s a great thing that we don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

We’re in a different country. It doesn’t apply to us. Totally different culture.

We're a totally different culture to the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

I meant a Muslim running as a hardline Muslim full shIra law Muslim. And you know that’s what I meant.

But these were your words, a moderate Muslim, not a fanatic, a moderate;
    A Muslim candidate running in a local election even being totally moderate on lgbt issues and respectful of the law as it stands with relation to marriage equality wouldn’t even get on the ballot. And there’s not one party that would take them on.

Another poster pointedly told you that this claim was false and that a Muslim candidate has already been elected, so you then claim what you said isn't what you meant, this in your view is how you win a debate, but to me anyone who can't concede when they are proven wrong isn't worth debating with.

But these were your words, a moderate Muslim, not a fanatic, a moderate;

Another poster pointedly told you that this claim was false and that a Muslim candidate has already been elected, so you then claim what you said isn't what you meant, this in your view is how you win a debate, but to me anyone who can't concede when they are proven wrong isn't worth debating with.

We wouldn’t elect a hardline Muslim in the same way we wouldn’t elect a Gemma o Doherty type. That was my point. Wasn’t aware we had a Muslim candidate elected. Fair play to him! Safe to assume he isn’t the type of Muslim we see people ranting about in this and other boards threads though right?

• Advertisement

We wouldn’t elect a hardline Muslim in the same way we wouldn’t elect a Gemma o Doherty type. That was my point. Wasn’t aware we had a Muslim candidate elected. Fair play to him! Safe to assume he isn’t the type of Muslim we see people ranting about in this and other boards threads though right?

Why did you say moderate when you meant fanatical hard-line?

Why did you say moderate when you meant fanatical hard-line?

I said a moderate wouldn’t be preaching anti gay hate you’d see from a hard liner.
    I do wonder how even a moderate could reconcile being a representative in a country that has marriage equality, it would clash with their belief surely? But let’s see how that plays out. Doubt anything will ever come from it. And that’s good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

A Muslim candidate running in a local election even being totally moderate on lgbt issues and respectful of the law as it stands with relation to marriage equality wouldn’t even get on the ballot. And there’s not one party that would take them on. And thankfully, nobody would vote for them.

Wha?
    A muslim chap ran in West Cork last local elections, got 600 odd first pref AFAIR.

Wha?
    A muslim chap ran in West Cork last local elections, got 600 odd first pref AFAIR.

Yeah we just covered that. I was unaware. It’s brilliant to to see him get elected and the Gemma o Doherty types get ignored.
    Proves my point. Well never fall for hysterical right wing BS and we’re a fair and inclusive society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Yeah we just covered that. I was unaware. It’s brilliant to to see him get elected and the Gemma o Doherty types get ignored.
    Proves my point. Well never fall for hysterical right wing BS and we’re a fair and inclusive society.

He wasnt elected, had a good run though. Survived a few counts.

He wasnt elected, had a good run though. Survived a few counts.

Really? The lads above disagree. Or perhaps mean a different candidate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You PD types were quite hysterical when in Govt.

Danzy wrote: »
    You PD types were quite hysterical when in Govt.

Before my time I’m afraid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

LGBT people would be thrown off buildings if they were in majority Islam countries. Hilarious seeing them support Islam. It's like a jew supporting Hitler.

Before my time I’m afraid.

Did you end up in FG instead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

LGBT people would be thrown off buildings if they were in majority Islam countries. Hilarious seeing them support Islam. It's like a jew supporting Hitler.

32 pages and people still trying to conflate opposing discrimination with supporting Islam.

Danzy wrote: »
    Did you end up in FG instead?

Are you lookin for a clatter?

How dare you sir

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

How many times has this shìte been posted in this thread? Same shìte from the same braindead people who always seem to be in any thread connected to a serious incident with thier "the religion of peace strikes again" fùckwittery.

Fùck off to a majority islamic country so and explain that to the LGBT people over thier. FFS in sone islamic countries you will be jailed for kissing your girlfriend in public or badmouthing thier religion, do what i do, don't go there.

China jails, tortures and kills members of falun gong, where's the outrage? Stu0id fùcking racists have this site decimated with the constant "oh de muslims gonna kill us all" or "ohhh de foreigners taking all our jobs/houses" shìte.

Disclaimer: Before anyone goes smashing thier faces off the report button, this post is not aimed at any one poster, it is aimed at the posts that the usual racists spout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

MrFresh wrote: »
    32 pages and people still trying to conflate opposing discrimination with supporting Islam.

But it's not only opposing discrimination tho - if it were just that fair enough, it's any criticism of the ideology of Islam that they want shut down, the definition of ISlamaphobia is very broad nowadays, Sam Harris is called an Islamaphobic bigot for example - one of the most un-bigotted logical thinkers out there today.

crazy, the sane left needs to step up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

But it's not only opposing discrimination tho - if it were just that fair enough, it's any criticism of the ideology of Islam that they want shut down,

No it isn't.

it's any criticism of the ideology of Islam that they want shut down

Very few people want that at all that I have seen.

It would seem that your statement here contains around the same level of truth as your recent statement where you claimed you would not be making any more posts on the subject of Islam.

Which is to say - almost no truth in the statement at all.

That said though -
    Sam Harris is called an Islamaphobic bigot for example - one of the most un-bigotted logical thinkers out there today.

- a better example would be Harris' co-author who has not only been labeled an Islamaphobe but an anti islamic terrorist. A slander which in the end won him a lot of money.

The funny part of that being the co-author is himself a devout Muslim. You see many of us can tell the difference between Muslims and Islam - Christians and Christianity - and it is the discrimination caused by _not_ knowing the difference between the two that I feel many are trying to oppose.

But it's not only opposing discrimination tho - if it were just that fair enough, it's any criticism of the ideology of Islam that they want shut down, the definition of ISlamaphobia is very broad nowadays, Sam Harris is called an Islamaphobic bigot for example - one of the most un-bigotted logical thinkers out there today.

crazy, the sane left needs to step up.

The Cultist Middle Class Left are in the driving seat now.

They are more likely to continue to crash their movement in to a Wall than adapt a more nuanced position.

In much of Europe now the Left have gone from being viable contenders for power to highly fractured groups, with smaller vote %, with no chance of leading.

Nor I suspect the will to change that, not their motivation any more.

Electorally we seem to be heading in Europe for a largely post Left landscape in the next decade.

Some achievement a decade after free market capitalism nearly blew the world economy apart.

Yet not surprising, the same attitude did for the Church here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

FFS in sone islamic countries you will be jailed for kissing your girlfriend in public or badmouthing thier religion, *do what i do, don't go there*.
    Completely agree with this good advice, don't go to such locations.

Even in very modern/progrssive locations such as Dubai sure you'd be taking chances with any public display of affection, not to mention the repercussions of accidently brushing past someone in a packed nightclub.

Instead support and welcome such ideologies from afar, while living safely in a overwhelmingly white majority, pleasent county locations, such as Chesire or Dalkey. Outside of the ever-growing chaos of more urban major cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They aren't supporting Islam they are against Islamophobia. It's like a jew not wanting Germans discriminated against because of Hitler.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

They aren't supporting Islam they are against Islamophobia. It's like a jew not wanting Germans discriminated against because of Hitler.

Well if you could separate Sharia Law from Islam and Koran, that would be great. Fear of Islam is a very real thing. Ask the people in Rotherham.

Advertisement