Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGBT and Islam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

jmreire wrote: »
    My post actually read's :

" That's one of the benefit's of a working democracy, you are free to choose. But to suggest that any one who DOES believe in a Religion, is some how mentally deficient is frankly insulting..."
    Where in my post does it say "Easter Bunny". as you have mentioned? Maybe you should read my post again? But if you want to believe in Easter Bunny's, you just go right ahead, and with my blessing, that's your prerogative, and I will respect your right to your belief's, without feeling the need to labeling you as "Mentally Deficient".

Whoooooooooosssshhhhhh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭jmreire

how can you take a person seriously when they believe an innocent child is born with original sin because the invisible man said so ?

how can you worship this said invisible man who supposedly created everything, and is all powerful but allows children born with diseases, and allows truly awful things happen.

How insecure is this all loving god that he would banish people to eternal suffering in Hell if they dont kiss his ass.

Tell me what intelligent person would believe in this God who is suppose to be all powerful but does shoddy work.
    His CV makes for atrocious reading.

Then there is his "staff" his so called representitives on earth, the largest paedo ring on the planet.
    The same organisation that banned condoms while the HIV virus was at epidemic levels.
    One of , if not the richest organisations on this earth, biggest landowners, but the biggest beggars you will ever come across.

If people want to buy into that lunacy, that is their choice, if they find comfort in it, good for them, but I have noticed the very same religious people who are quick to defend their rights and beliefs, are not very tolerant when people like me speak my opinion.
    If these people's faith is as strong as they would like us to believe, then surely my opinions would not matter.

but it does, because deep down , despite all the brainwashing, even religious people have doubts, and its only things like fear of death that has them hoping their invisible friend exists.

Just as it's your choice to reject it...and when or where have you been criticized for stating your opinion? here on Boards??? or elsewhere? Personally, I have never heard anyone criticizing anyone for not believing in God. But on the other hand, Christians these days are coming in for a lot of criticism,,, even here on Boards, if you read recent posts on this thread....anyone who believe's in God (" Or the Sky Fairies , Easter Bunnie's etc are popular term's ) is some how mentally deficient.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Your opinions give the impression that you’re a mentally unstable arsehole. .

Where as a person who believes in an invisible man is somehow more clever, astute, superior ? Did my post upset you ? You do not seem a very tolerant person, what will your imaginary friend think of that when you pray to him ?

OK, how we deal in actual FACTS, since you are reduced to name calling.

Religion has been the cause for millions of death, far more than any beliefs people like I have.
    You cannot prove to me the existence of this made up delusion you believe in....there is no proof, and this is usually followed by some mumbo jumbo circular argument that i cannot prove he doesn.t , when the onus is on the believer to back up his claims the santa for adults exists.

Here is another fact
    Atheists, agnostics, etc will not knock on your door begging for money.
    Wont dictate to the government who is allowed condoms or demand pubs be closed on good friday because their invisible man says so. dictate to women who have been raped they are not allowed an abortion.
    Tell people that they must do a marraige course to get married...carried out by a priest who is not married and part of the biggest paedo ring on earth.

And it is not just catholics, muslims can marry children as young as 12,.
    I could go on and on about all that is wrong with religion.

Feel free to tell me these truths are lies, or the opinions of an asshole.

jmreire wrote: »
    Just as it's your choice to reject it...and when or where have you been criticized for stating your opinion? here on Boards??? or elsewhere? Personally, I have never heard anyone criticizing anyone for not believing in God. But on the other hand, Christians these days are coming in for a lot of criticism,,, even here on Boards, if you read recent posts on this thread....anyone who believe's in God (" Or the Sky Fairies , Easter Bunnie's etc are popular term's ) is some how mentally deficient.

I never said I was criticized.
    I am giving an opinion like everyone else on here, and because it may not be similar to others does not make it any less worthy to give.

I think a person who believes in invisible people is deficient to a certain degree, most due to the conditioning they got when they were children and were brainwashed.

I have seen catholics laugh at the absurdity of things like scientology thinking how stupid that made up religion is, yet think the catholic religion is totally fine and not see the complete lunacy of their own religion.

As I said if people find comfort in it, well and good, my own parents do, and if religion is a way to stop people from being criminals., an added bonus, if it gives people hope, more power to them, but its not for me., sadly however the reality a lot of religious people are the most evil and dangerous people who use that very same belief to justify their actions.

I do not believe in a God, and have no issue with people believing in one.
    I do have an issue with the church though, what they represent, how they manipulate people and for their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,673 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Where as a person who believes in an invisible man is somehow more clever, astute, superior ?

Well you’re suggesting that, I didn’t, because I wouldn’t make such assumptions about anyone when the information above doesn’t really tell me anything about whether I should consider them clever, astute or superior. They may well be clever, astute or superior, but I couldn’t make any judgment either way on just the basis of whether or not they are religious.

Did my post upset you ? You do not seem a very tolerant person

Not in the slightest. Genuinely. You made the point that people aren’t very tolerant of your opinions, and I can see why, and I was pointing out to you why it’s a perfectly reasonable conclusion as to why people appear to be intolerant of your opinions - because you sound like a mentally unstable arsehole. I also said you may not be a mentally unstable arsehole, but so far I don’t have any evidence to suggest you’re not. The evidence I have so far, given the way you have expressed your opinion, is that you are a mentally unstable arsehole. I’d like to believe you’re not a mentally unstable arsehole, but so far, well... y’know, I’m coming up short.

I don’t sound like a very tolerant person, because I don’t tolerate what I consider to be nonsense. That makes me just as intolerant as you really because I don’t imagine you tolerate what you consider to be nonsense either. That doesn’t make either of us bad people, it just means we don’t tolerate what we consider to be nonsense, so we’re exactly the same in that regard at least.

OK, how we deal in actual FACTS, since you are reduced to name calling.

You suggest we deal in actual facts, then follow it up with nonsense. I haven’t called you any names at all. I’ve made a judgment about you in the same way you have made judgements about me, based upon the limited information either of us has to hand about the other. I don’t assume you’re upset because I’m assuming you’re an adult at least somewhat capable of understanding that a difference of opinion isn’t anything to get upset over.

Religion has been the cause for millions of death, far more than any beliefs people like I have.
    You cannot prove to me the existence of this made up delusion you believe in....there is no proof, and this is usually followed by some mumbo jumbo circular argument that i cannot prove he doesn.t , when the onus is on the believer to back up his claims the santa for adults exists.

But sure I don’t feel I have to prove anything to you? I’m perfectly happy to let you carry on about your business preaching your anti-theist nonsense and neither you nor your opinions are of any significance to me whatsoever. I’m also going to assume the feeling is mutual since I have no interest in imposing anything on you, let alone attempting to prove anything to you, because I don’t regard you as someone I need to prove anything to.

Maybe you have a point to prove? If you do, I missed it. You aren’t saying anything I haven’t heard at least a thousand times already, so I hope you would understand when I say I’m really not in the mood to listen to it again. Of course that makes me intolerant in your opinion, which is fine, because to be fair you may not have been aware that I have already heard plenty of people express your opinions. You’re not saying anything I haven’t heard a thousand times already, so why would you think your opinion is that important to anyone else that they need to hear it again? Can you understand why someone might suggest “you’re grand thanks, I’ve heard that one before”.

Bring something new to the table if you want people to pay you attention. Bring something new to the table if you don’t want people to give you the impression that they’re intolerant because they’ve heard your nonsense thousands of times before already. That shìt gets old like.

Here is another fact
    Atheists, agnostics, etc will not knock on your door begging for money.

Well your first claim wasn’t a fact, and your second claim above is definitely not a fact. I’ve had plenty of people who are atheist, agnostic, non-religious, etc call to my door looking for money. I don’t mind welcoming anyone at my door, I’ll often invite them in for coffee and a chat and I’m usually willing to give them a fair hearing, and if I like what I’m hearing, I’ll contribute to their cause. If I don’t like what I’m hearing, I’ll thank them for their time and send them on their way. The people I send on their way without having contributed to their cause may well think of me as intolerant, but I’m ok with that. I wouldn’t expect them to support causes they don’t believe there is a good case for either.

I could go on and on about all that is wrong with religion.

You could, and don’t let me stop you, but I’m about to head off to bed now and I’ll probably unfollow this thread after this post because I think I’ve given you enough of my time already and so far I’m not convinced you’ve made a good case for your cause. I suppose the one saving grace is that you haven’t asked for PayPal donations to your cause, as many causes tend to do these days rather than going door to door begging for money.

Feel free to tell me these truths are lies, or the opinions of an asshole.

Ok then, your opinions are those of an asshole.

Night now, sleep tight.

• Advertisement

I will sleep soundly without needing your long winded reply to help me sleep..
    You carry on acting like you know everything, whilst at the same time being the person who has an imaginary fiend.

say a prayer for me, that is bound to work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭ClintPower

The hard left are a funny bunch.

They harp on about rape culture but insist that despite what has happened in Germany and Sweden we need an even more lax open border policy than they have.

They drove Paddy Jackson out of the country and are still trying to ruin his career, after an acquittal, yet they have absolutely nothing to say about a convicted sex offender plying his trade in the LOI at Waterford United. Of course, the fact that Jackson is white, male and from a well off background, whereas Ismail Akinade is from a background whereby his very being black (and Muslim to boot!) is something regarded as virtous, has nothing to do with it.

They campaigned for the release of Ibrahim Halawa, son of a religious conservative, decrying his jailing as unjust and a politically motivated show trial, yet railroaded the daughter of a religious conservative out of her position on the UCD student union after, well, a politically motivated show trial. I've no time for either Halawa or the lunatic ramblings of scions of the Iona Institute, in fact young Christians creep me out, but again it is clear that there are points attached for being muslim and brown.

Don't even get me started at how it's somehow the most unjust thing in the world that vulture funds snap up firesale property and seek to evict the existing tenants, but this is somehow OK when the government does the same as long as the people are being evicted for their betters, Syrian refugees.

The left are moral cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,974 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ClintPower wrote: »
    The hard left are a funny bunch.

They drove Paddy Jackson out of the country and are still trying to ruin his career, after an acquittal, yet they have absolutely nothing to say about a convicted sex offender plying his trade in the LOI at Waterford United. Of course, the fact that Jackson is white, male and from a well off background, whereas Ismail Akinade is from a background whereby his very being black (and Muslim to boot!) is something regarded as virtous, has nothing to do with it.

The left are moral cowards.

I had a feeling thus was all the left's fault and I had a feeling someone would be along to explain it to us.

As for paddy Jackson. The irfu cancelled his contract in Ireland, not the left. And Guinness decided not to sponsor London Irish, not the left.

I think you need to have another think about how the left is ruining his career.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭ClintPower

I had a feeling thus was all the left's fault and I had a feeling someone would be along to explain it to us.

As for paddy Jackson. The irfu cancelled his contract in Ireland, not the left. And Guinness decided not to sponsor London Irish, not the left.

I think you need to have another think about how the left is ruining his career.

Oh right yeah of course, it was his texts, not his criminal case.

I suppose you would be comfortable with every comment, joke, statement etc you have ever made in a text or conversation between friends being used to gauge your suitability by your employer?

ClintPower wrote: »
    Oh right yeah of course, it was his texts, not his criminal case.

I suppose you would be comfortable with every comment, joke, statement etc you have ever made in a text or conversation between friends being used to gauge your suitability by your employer?

That's nothing to do with what I said.

I said he IRFU cancelled his Ireland and ulster Contract and Guinness cancelled it's sponsorship with London Irish.

I fail to see where the dreaded left comes I to the equation. "The left" isn't in control the contracts.

Nothing to do with gays or Islam though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

I think what has happened in Birmingham is actually good. For far too long we are being fed the lies in this country that all cultures can live alongside each other, even though some of their beliefs are diametrically opposed. We're sleepwalking in to these same sort of problems here by refusing to recognise that there ARE issues with trying to get diverse cultures to integrate. Hopefully this will start a serious discussion here before we inevitably have protests outside our own primary schools.

I think what has happened in Birmingham is actually good. For far too long we are being fed the lies in this country that all cultures can live alongside each other, even though some of their beliefs are diametrically opposed. We're sleepwalking in to these same sort of problems here by refusing to recognise that there ARE issues with trying to get diverse cultures to integrate. Hopefully this will start a serious discussion here before we inevitably have protests outside our own primary schools.

You don't need brown people with a different religion to find different views on sexuality. Look on the Jo Brand thread. There are people posting in that thread who think there should be censorship on some jokes and some who think the opposite. It's easier to draw the battle lines when the other side has distinguishing features like different skin or clothes. But the problems aren't half as bad as you're making out.

People are exercising their right to protest. If someone gets violent then they have stepped over the line. But protesting is grand. Not ideal but definitely not a problem.

It's lucky for us that the Catholics don't take their religion seriously in Ireland. If they did they would be massively opposed to gays too. But luckily they have had some of their power taken from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

We're sleepwalking in to these same sort of problems here by refusing to recognise that there ARE issues with trying to get diverse cultures to integrate. Hopefully this will start a serious discussion here before we inevitably have protests outside our own primary schools.
    The majority in the UK and the majority in Ireland do recognise this. The UK has been against the immigration that has taken place since the 60's/70's when polling began and the whole Lisdoonvarna fiasco, 93% against, tells you all you need to know.

You're dead on about the lies, but the lies are just a sanitised way of telling the public what is going to happen, regardless of our stance on the matter.

Luckily the vetting is top quality. Drug dealers so concerned with high standards, that they bring the drugs to the Gardaí to complain about the quality. Just the type of characters that Ireland has been sorely lacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

biko wrote: »
    LGBT should stand with their brethren in Chechnya
    Chechnya LGBT: Dozens 'detained in new gay purge'

Islam is the predominant religion (95%) in Chechnya, a country that claims to "have no gays".

Pretty sure plenty of groups including LGBT ones have called out injustices such as Chechnya. In fact, part of the reason for pride rallies is to stand in solidarity with those being oppressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

batgoat wrote: »
    Pretty sure plenty of groups including LGBT ones have called out injustices such as Chechnya. In fact, part of the reason for pride rallies is to stand in solidarity with those being oppressed.
    Pretty sure means guessing. Do you have facts/sources?
    But yeah, I would also guess they have outraged against Chechnya. It just doesn't make sense not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

But yeah, I would also guess they have outraged against Chechnya. It just doesn't make sense not to.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2017/05/16/French-groups-accuse-Chechnya-of-gay-genocide-in-complaint-in-Hague/4781494946747/

https://www.gaytimes.co.uk/community/117831/russian-embassy-wrapped-in-rainbow-flag-to-protest-chechnyas-anti-gay-purge/

Plus the likes of amnesty etc have been highlighting it. It came up during the French presidential elections and LePen was one of the few who didn't condemn it... So it's pretty clear that LGBT community very much stand in solidarity with those in Chechnya. Most ironic thing is, I suspect many people in this thread tend to favour Russia's rather warped laws in relation to the LGBT community...

Even had protests in Ireland in relation to Chechnya situation btw.
    https://gcn.ie/gcn-protest-russian-chechnya-violations/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭jackboy

batgoat wrote: »
    https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2017/05/16/French-groups-accuse-Chechnya-of-gay-genocide-in-complaint-in-Hague/4781494946747/

https://www.gaytimes.co.uk/community/117831/russian-embassy-wrapped-in-rainbow-flag-to-protest-chechnyas-anti-gay-purge/

Plus the likes of amnesty etc have been highlighting it. It came up during the French presidential elections and LePen was one of the few who didn't condemn it... So it's pretty clear that LGBT community very much stand in solidarity with those in Chechnya. Most ironic thing is, I suspect many people in this thread tend to favour Russia's rather warped laws in relation to the LGBT community...

Even had protests in Ireland in relation to Chechnya situation btw.
    https://gcn.ie/gcn-protest-russian-chechnya-violations/

‘Standing in solidarity’ and ‘highlighting’ is absolutely no help to those being persecuted in Chechnya. The best thing that they could do is ensure such a culture does not gain a foothold in the west. This is not being done.

jackboy wrote: »
    ‘Standing in solidarity’ and ‘highlighting’ is absolutely no help to those being persecuted in Chechnya. The best thing that they could do is ensure such a culture does not gain a foothold in the west. This is not being done.

So what are you doing to help LGBT people in Chechnya?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭jackboy

Pathetic response.

jackboy wrote: »
    Pathetic response.

It's a valid question that you have dodged with your reply.

What are you doing to help LGBT people in Chechnya?

• Advertisement

What are you doing?

What are you doing?

Im ‘Standing in solidarity’ and ‘highlighting’ their persecution, apparently thats not good enough though so maybe yourself or jack can explain to me how you are helping them so i can up my game?

Im ‘Standing in solidarity’ and ‘highlighting’ their persecution, apparently thats not good enough though so maybe yourself or jack can explain to me how you are helping them so i can up my game?

So doing **** all then. That's grand. Same as me so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Russian police have detained LGBT activists attempting to raise awareness about the persecution of gay men in Chechnya.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-gay-rights-lgbt-chechnya-persecution-st-petersburg-may-day-protest-a7711531.html

A number of groups are to hold a demonstration on Cork’s Grand Parade on Tuesday in protest at the reported detention and killing of gay men in Chechnya.https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-protest-over-treatment-of-gay-men-in-chechnya-447871.html

Hundreds of people descended on the Russian Embassy in London to protest against the reported torture and murder of gay men in Chechnya.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/hundreds-protest-against-gay-concentration-camps-in-chechnya-outside-londons-russian-embassy-a3514026.html

1"]

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Im ‘Standing in solidarity’ and ‘highlighting’ their persecution, apparently thats not good enough though so maybe yourself or jack can explain to me how you are helping them so i can up my game?
    You can donate money to LGBT Network Russia which is helping persecuted LGBTs escape from Chechnya

So doing **** all then. That's grand. Same as me so.

You obviously don't care about them so.

About as much as you do.

Tell me... What does standing in solidarity entail?

Tell me... What does standing in solidarity entail?

I donate money to LGBT causes and i hihglight the persecution of LGBT people.

Ye lads just suffer from a terrible dose of NIMBYism. Pretty sad to live your life that way but each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

You don't need brown people with a different religion to find different views on sexuality. Look on the Jo Brand thread. There are people posting in that thread who think there should be censorship on some jokes and some who think the opposite.

Yeah I think that is always a problem that the left has had though. The assumption is that since the feminist, migrant, Traveller, LGBT groups are all on the same "oppressed victim" team that they must have similar views on most things. But Travellers have very traditional views towards abortion, women rights and gays. Muslim migrants have very backward views about women, and they think being gay is a sin.

They have spent so long seeing the straight, white, settled male as being the enemy, but just because they share this view does not mean that some of their other beliefs are not diametrically opposed.

Advertisement