Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Xbox app for PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

It's in the new game bar too (Win + G)

I was playing Destiny and it popped up as I launched it, there were 3 groups showing.

1/3 Strikes

2/3 Nightfalls

4/6 Raids looking for noobs

I might actually play a raid with that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

This is mad, got the 3 years there. Thanks everyone for your help.

One thing I did read is that if you had already converted a small amount and wanted to extend it to three years is that it costs €15 now the second time round. The reddit post someone linked early got updated:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/bynhkl/ultimate_game_pass_for_anyone_who_signed_up/?_branch_match_id=666591234995194821

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

Was having a lot of issues installing games but I uninstalled some Windows update and it fixed that.

Playing Football Manager 2019 on my laptop over the last couple of days but it's been crashing a lot, like every 40 mins, especially after it has auto-saved. Have it installed on my PC as well and it crashes any time I click the Load Game option so I can't transfer my save game over. Fair enough the Xbox app is in Beta but it's a pain in the balls.

Downloaded and played about an hour of Void Bastards on the PC without issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

If i try to play anything through the Xbox app it fails to load but If i try through the new gamepass one they work..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Is there a way to create desktop shortcuts on this? I see they've made is so you don't have automatic access to the files in the WindowsApps folders, and can't just launch from the exe in there.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is there a way to create desktop shortcuts on this? I see they've made is so you don't have automatic access to the files in the WindowsApps folders, and can't just launch from the exe in there.

Pin to start or Pin to taskbar seem to be the closest thing, can't seem to find option for shortcuts anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Same. This is basic functionality, Microsoft, if you're going to bring this to PC.

Same. This is basic functionality, Microsoft, if you're going to bring this to PC.

They're Windows Store apps, you can't make shortcuts except for taskbar and start menu. Don't see that coming to be honest, they would have done it by now if they had any intention.

They're Windows Store apps, you can't make shortcuts except for taskbar and start menu. Don't see that coming to be honest, they would have done it by now if they had any intention.
    You can, instructions here:
    https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/5328/windows-10-tip-create-shortcuts-for-universal-apps

I'm using That UWPHook that someone mentioned earlier in this thread to add them to Steam. Apparently GoG Galaxy 2.0 will support Xbox App Games, can anyone confirm?

You can, instructions here:
    https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/5328/windows-10-tip-create-shortcuts-for-universal-apps

I'm using That UWPHook that someone mentioned earlier in this thread to add them to Steam. Apparently GoG Galaxy 2.0 will support Xbox App Games, can anyone confirm?
    Well I never :-) Thanks for that.

So what happens if you drag and drop a game to the desktop?

Yes CDPR showed Phil Spencer a demo of Galaxy 2.0 and he was impressed, so pretty sure it's going to support windows games. I think he talked about it in an E3 interview cant remember which one.

• Advertisement

So what happens if you drag and drop a game to the desktop?

That doesn't work for me but following the instructions in the link to bring up the App folder and right-clicking to add shortcut does work.

You can also drag the Applications folder down onto the taskbar so you can get to it quicker by right-clicking on the folder icon down there. For some reason you can't pin it to the quick access menu in file explorer though. The inconsistencies are pretty annoying tbh

Dragging the icon from the start menu to the desktop works for me.

Win 10 Pro Version 1903

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder will more games be added or how often.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wonder will more games be added or how often.
    They just added two a few days ago

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

https://twitter.com/XboxIE_Official/status/1146410908115247104?s=19

Going by that tweet all but the Lego game will be added on pc too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Some brilliant games there

Am I right in saying all the games so far are prexisting windows store games, or have they started convincing developers to join the store? If it's only games that are already in the store then they are going to run out of decent games pretty damn soon.

Will be interesting to see what happens, are we in for candy crush type games or is there a plan to get new games into the store as part of game pass?

I heard rumours of steam games coming to game pass but I don't k or if its true.

Am I right in saying all the games so far are prexisting windows store games, or have they started convincing developers to join the store? If it's only games that are already in the store then they are going to run out of decent games pretty damn soon.

Will be interesting to see what happens, are we in for candy crush type games or is there a plan to get new games into the store as part of game pass?

I heard rumours of steam games coming to game pass but I don't k or if its true.

No, most of the games there weren't in the windows store before. They announced a few weeks before e3 they were going to start adding Win32 games to the windows store, general consensus was this was in preparation for game pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Cheers Mickeroo.

Signed up last night. Ended up getting 27 months for €93.

Perfect for me as it includes the Halo games which would have cost me €55 to buy when they release.

Can't go wrong at ~€3.40 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Remouad wrote: »
    Cheers Mickeroo.

Signed up last night. Ended up getting 27 months for €93.

Perfect for me as it includes the Halo games which would have cost me €55 to buy when they release.

Can't go wrong at ~€3.40 a month.

Yeah same, even though the current line up isnt great for me, there is still a handful of games im interested to play, and am hoping alot of great games get added. Pretty certain the €90 will have paid for itself by the end of this year anyway at the least :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Been playing a couple of different things on this, games I never would have tried otherwise most likely. Have put a few hours into CrossCode now, has that one more quest addictive quality to it, it's pretty good imo. Magnum Opus is another one, a little confusing but can dip in and out, do a level here and there. Going to put a bit of time into Slay the Spire now as well, and have downloaded My Time at Portia.

I really can't believe how good this service is, it's incredible value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

This beats the Origin access hands down, the big problem with Origin is you need a sub for both pc and console. With the ultimate its nice having it on both and also reducing down the xbox gold and gamepass.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

How is Gear of war ultimate is 52GB???
    It's a 13 year old game with a graphic pack added!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

sugarman wrote: »
    Same reason a DVD of a film is 4gb and a 4k Blu-ray of the same film is 50gb+.

Then how is it that the Witcher 3, a game thats over 10 times as long as gears is only 35GB? :confused:

I installed Gear of war ultimate also and my jaw dropped when i saw it was 52GB, insane size for a 10hour game tbh :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

BTW, if you're a Microsoft rewards user and you play Forza 4, just unlock any achievement this month for 500 points :D

I was playing on my xbox today and it still counted, so the platform might not be necessary.
    I have played it on my PC in the past, so that might also be a consideration :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

GOW4 was 120GB on PC.

I think it must be something to do with UWP games. Shadow of Mordor 2 was pushing 80gb if I recall correctly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Audio files take up a lot of space. If it supports multiple languages then that would explain it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As someone who has only played the other GoW games (God of War), How is Gears of War Ultimate? I think I read somewhere it was a poor port/upgrade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

One thing it's missing at the moment is cloud saves. I really wish my saves would just transfer across computers like they do with Steam.

Advertisement