Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Bit TA about the condemnation of people deemed to be panic buying.
    Who can judge who needs any particular item?
    If people stock up for a long quarantine they are protecting others by not having to keep going out for supplies.

I have a feeling someones going to be attacked for this sooner or later.
    Yes! I was accused of panic buying because i bought four boxes of cat food (44 pouches in each). Er nooo just that I have many cats and this is a monthly shop plus they are reduced so why not... They are all rescues too so those people can take their judgement and save it for people who dump their pets instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Without sounding selfish, the monotony of the lock-down has really hit home today. It's my birthday and I can't go for a few pints, treat myself to a nice meal in one of my favourite restaurants (or chippers), and even if there was a film I wanted to see in the cinema, I can't do that either.

6janj0tkkbn41.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Adults who make a big deal about their birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Antares35 wrote: »
    Yes! I was accused of panic buying because i bought four boxes of cat food (44 pouches in each). Er nooo just that I have many cats and this is a monthly shop plus they are reduced so why not... They are all rescues too so those people can take their judgement and save it for people who dump their pets instead!

A great example of why people should realise they cant know who "needs" any particular items.
    They need to butt out.
    Next time I have the funds Ill be ensuring my hpuse and my family are supplied and equipped for at least 14 days isolation.

Unless someone literally snatches the last two packs of toilet paper or whatever from under the nose of an elderly person who's standing there waiting, there is no way anyone can say theyve basically deprived anyone. It's also up to shops to keep the shelves stocked, and people can't be trying to calculate what will be left for other customers.

Ill give the benefit of the doubt and assume everyone has their own reasons for buying what they think they need. Its not for me to decide what theyre entitled to purchase.

What ta's me isthose who give out about people buying for a lockdown arent self isolating, and theyre ordering everyone to keep breaking quarantine to keepgoing to shops for more supplies. Getting it in one trip is better for everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Without sounding selfish, the monotony of the lock-down has really hit home today. It's my birthday and I can't go for a few pints, treat myself to a nice meal in one of my favourite restaurants (or chippers), and even if there was a film I wanted to see in the cinema, I can't do that either.

6janj0tkkbn41.jpg

Now you know what early January feels like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

TA on hold

TA people describimg an item as a "piece". This is the most beautiful functional piece I own.

I'd rather that than "this bad boy"

Nearly every new item bought by someone is met with a photo of the item and a caption, which is fine, but it's always "got these two bad boys today" or "got this bad boy in the post", "can't wait to hook up this bad boy"

Fcuk off with yer bad boys. Call it a YOKE, at least

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

A great example of why people should realise they cant know who "needs" any particular items.
    They need to butt out.
    Next time I have the funds Ill be ensuring my hpuse and my family are supplied and equipped for at least 14 days isolation.

Unless someone literally snatches the last two packs of toilet paper or whatever from under the nose of an elderly person who's standing there waiting, there is no way anyone can say theyve basically deprived anyone. It's also up to shops to keep the shelves stocked, and people can't be trying to calculate what will be left for other customers.

Ill give the benefit of the doubt and assume everyone has their own reasons for buying what they think they need. Its not for me to decide what theyre entitled to purchase.

What ta's me isthose who give out about people buying for a lockdown arent self isolating, and theyre ordering everyone to keep breaking quarantine to keepgoing to shops for more supplies. Getting it in one trip is better for everyone.

The stench of entitlement and the distinct lack of personal responsibility off this post is unbelievable. Its people like you who ensure some people have to do without as shops can only restock as quickly as deliveries are delivered. All the experts on this are imploring people not to panic buy and stock up beyond the norm but you know better? Buy what you need, don't be a f*cking idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The stench of entitlement and the distinct lack of personal responsibility off this post is unbelievable. Its people like you who ensure some people have to do without as shops can only restock as quickly as deliveries are delivered. All the experts on this are imploring people not to panic buy and stock up beyond the norm but you know better? Buy what you need, don't be a f*cking idiot.

Charming!

I *am* entitled to buy what I need for 2 weeks.

Thus reducing my trips out and maintaining the isolation protocol, especially now I have symptoms.

No reason at all to suggest anyone else would be deprived by my supplying my own house. What makes you think Im not supplying vulnerable or elderly people at home and why do others have a right to supplues but not me?

Stocking up for 14 days recommended self isolation isnt "panic buying". Stop regurgitating a mindless phrase.

By attacking and name calling a stranger whose circumstances you know nothing about, for ensuring sge can adhere to infection control guidelines, exemplifues exactly what I was describing.

Calm yourself downand think before attacking.

I don't care what you have or don't have. You're spreading misinformation. You are part of the problem. I would ignore you usually but not on this.
    No reason at all to suggest anyone else would be deprived by my supplying my own house. What makes you think Im not supplying vulnerable or elderly people at home and why do others have a right to supplues but not me?

:rolleyes: Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

If people have symptoms, perhaps they should try to get others to do their shopping for them and stay at home.

• Advertisement

If people have symptoms, perhaps they should try to get others to do their shopping for them and stay at home.

That would be smart alright. Not panic buying would also be smart. They are "entitled" to it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

I think if you and your family are not going to be outside for 14 days then you should have 14 days worth of food, supplies and essentials if you have the space for them. Even getting someone to bring stuff to you (which isn't always possible to do, especially at a time like this) also increases the risk of someone else getting infected. To me panic buying implies buying more than you will ever use. I fully expect there to be much food wastage in the next few months which is my own TA as I fooking hate food thrown away when people starve to death in this world.

Also I know these are tense times but there is no need for the name calling, we are all in this together and while we don't have to like everything others do we can express that differently.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I don't care what you have or don't have. You're spreading misinformation. You are part of the problem. I would ignore you usually but not on this.

:rolleyes: Jesus Christ.
    That would be smart alright. Not panic buying would also be smart. They are "entitled" to it though.

Mod

If you can't be civil don't bother posting in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

None of the Irish ex-pats over in China interviewed by our media consider themselves Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Bredabe

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Now you know what early January feels like.
    Ppl I've know for years and know the story behind my rl name, sending happy clappy birthday messages on the wrong date in the wrong month.

Ta, my patents called me what crossed their minds in a panic and this is still causing confusion a million years later.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭blade1

TA that I'll never be brilliant on the Sitar :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

My 2 TA' s today. Well actually 3!!
    The first 2 are my arthritic knees... fairly bad today.
    And the other is... Mother's Day..

My 2 TA' s today. Well actually 3!!
    The first 2 are my arthritic knees... fairly bad today.
    And the other is... Mother's Day..

I'll second your TA Panda Killer.

TA always about Mothers Day. These happy clappy Hallmark Days that dont ever consider anything but the "perfect" family.
    I lost a child years ago and Mothers Day was a few weeks later and it was just hell to be honest ....as many of those days are . Both my remaining daughters live abroad now and all our plans to meet this year (Canada and UK) are cancelled with Coronavirus.

My own mother is in isolation in a nursing home now and we cant visit or even ring her as she can't hold a phone and the communal phone at reception is being handled to all the residents by numerous staff.....which is too worrying and risky for us(she is very ill).

I'm lonely but its worse cos its Mothers DAY :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

I'll second your TA Panda Killer.

TA always about Mothers Day. These happy clappy Hallmark Days that dont ever consider anything but the "perfect" family.
    I lost a child years ago and Mothers Day was a few weeks later and it was just hell to be honest ....as many of those days are . Both my remaining daughters live abroad now and all our plans to meet this year (Canada and UK) are cancelled with Coronavirus.

My own mother is in isolation in a nursing home now and we cant visit or even ring her as she can't hold a phone and the communal phone at reception is being handled to all the residents by numerous staff.....which is too worrying and risky for us(she is very ill).

I'm lonely but its worse cos its Mothers DAY :(

That's horrific Maggie...I can't make it any better.... perhaps getting one of those inexpensive big button mobile phones would help your mam?
    Easy to use, and you can ring her at anytime...I'm making a massive presumption here that she is in tip top shape and able to do so... but it might alleviate the loneliness for you both.

Sending a virtual hug from across the internet +1metre :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Would any of the staff be willing to let you call their phone? They could out it in speaker and hold it up for her. Not ideal, but a damn sight better than nothing. Or even better, would they be willing to do a skype/whatsapp video call so you could see each other? I'd ask, it I were you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

TA woke up and in a groggy haze entered my PIN incorrectly multiple times on my phone.locked me out and asked for my PUK. mini panic attack ensues when i dont know it from memory and cant think of a means of accessing it. remembered its on my online account. crisis averted but hated the thought of not having the phone in these circumstances.

New Home wrote: »
    Would any of the staff be willing to let you call their phone? They could out it in speaker and hold ut up gor her. Not ideal, but a damn sight better than nothing. Or even better, would they be willing to do a skype/whatsapp video call so you could see each other? I'd ask, it I were you...

:) thanks for suggestion.... yes we've tried this kind of thing before as I have a brother in NY and a sister in UK and they wanted to chat but it hasn't worked that well. My mum is completely immobile and a little unaware of things - she gets more confused about technology and virtual calls than anything, she thinks she is talking to the nurse and starts having a conversation with her :D

God if you didn't laugh you'd cry. I will chat to rest of family and see if we can come up with some idea. Even though today is Mothers Day I'm not sure my mum is aware which is probably easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Credits. What a waste of time and bandwidth!

For opening credits, watching stuff at home I'll hit FF straight after play, but I hate suffering through them in the cinema. And end credits - who watches them? I'll press stop or get up and leave. And post credit scenes can sod right off - I'm not sitting though ten minutes plus of credits for ten seconds of content.

The first thing that TAs me in the opening credits is that it seems to take three dozen companies to make a film these days, and they'll all introduce themselves first. You'll have the 20th Century Fox animation with it's annoying bloody trumpets, then the TSG animation, then some other plonkers, then the Welsh Film Board for some reason... Then they'll repeat it in text on the screen - 20th Century Fox, in association with TSG, with Some Other Plonkers, and the participation of The Welsh Film Board... We don't care! We're hitting the skip button!

And the end credits - do they really have to name everybody down to the cat that lives near the set? I dgaf who the Best Boy is, nor do I want to know the name of all the grips. I don't know what a grip is, but if I wanted to know who or what it is, I'd google it!

The costs per day for producing, broadcasting, writing to disc, streaming, downloading and everything else to do with credits must be astronomical! I know some of it is marketing (that we FF past), but if we cared, we'd google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

people driving on the telly when they talk to the passenger, turn to them and take their eyes off the road for about 6 or more seconds at a time.
    They aren't really driving I know, but for some reason it still really boils my cabbage :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

people driving on the telly when they talk to the passenger, turn to them and take their eyes off the road for about 6 or more seconds at a time.
    They aren't really driving I know, but for some reason it still really boils my cabbage :mad:

Amélie, is that you? :D

Amélie, is that you? :D

No, the real Amelie looks behind her while in the cinema, to see people's reactions!

No, the real Amelie looks behind her while in the cinema, to see people's reactions!
    Check again. ;)

Check again. ;)

Love that film. No social distancing back then!!

That came out shortly after 9/11. :/

• Advertisement

That came out shortly after 9/11. :/

And based on a time just after Princess Diana was killed. Must watch it again soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement