Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Options

Comments

New Home wrote: »
    And suddenly, for a lot of people, those "annoying" tear-jerker ads on the telly where they say that "€7 a month could save this child's life" are beginning to hit home. For millions of people around the world, this was a choice they were forced to face every day.

What I can't get my head around is why so, so many people are saying "This is unfair, my personal freedom is being curtailed, I couldn't last very long cooped up indoors/without a social outlet, etc." What made you (not you-you, Op, a general-you) think you'd be immune to tragedies in your own lifetime? It could happen to any of us (in this case, a pandemic, but it could have been a war, or a famine, or slavery, or abject poverty, or having to flee, or a personal tragedy like a huge loss, or a life-changing accident. We should count ourselves lucky we got away with it this long.

EDIT: Sorry, I've been meaning to post this in the Covid thread.

Because its difficult. People are struggling with a new reality. I am struggling with this and I'm not afraid to admit it. I'm trying very hard to keep sane and reasonable and not be part of the frenzied "its getting worse every day" comments.

I have not been immune to tragedies and I don't believe most people feel they have been. This is an adjustment of how we live our lives and I understand how daunting it is for us. We absolutely need to put restrictions in place to get us through this but that doesn't mean we will do so with an open heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

People calling criticism of going out (unless necessary) "taking the moral high ground". They are really refusing to face up to the reality of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

This new reality is different for everyone I guess..I have a compromised immune system, so am looking after myself... but I'm definitely getting out every day .. lucky enough that I can walk into the countryside in minutes.
    2 weeks without work...and I know that my job won't be there afterwards... TA'd about it..but have accepted this fact....my gut feeling is that there could be thousands of people like me when this is eventually all over

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

People that don't understand how to use "confirm".
    https://sentence.yourdictionary.com/confirm

Instead they use it like "tell me".
    Can you tell me your name? Correct.
    Can you confirm your name? Incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

I get Trivally Annoyed by the growing trend in giving the 'V' sign incorrectly. Palm facing out, means peace, palm facing in means **** off. Mainly Americans and Japanese.who seem to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Folks, maybe the Coronavirus chat should be taken elsewhere? Tbh, it doesn't really come in as a TA?

Thanks.

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I get Trivally Annoyed by the growing trend in giving the 'V' sign incorrectly. Palm facing out, means peace, palm facing in means **** off. Mainly Americans and Japanese.who seem to do this.
    I agree with you but even Churchill himself in quite a few images has his palm facing inwards instead of outwards
    https://stronglang.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/g6857_u3848_sir_winston_churchill.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

TA our plans are on hold. We were going away. Just within Ireland.
    Too much talk of certain measures tomorrow made it sound like we could be stranded if it came to it.
    I hate having to be sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

biko wrote: »
    I agree with you but even Churchill himself in quite a few images has his palm facing inwards instead of outwards
    https://stronglang.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/g6857_u3848_sir_winston_churchill.jpg

Aye, he didn't know the meaning of the gesture. Apparently he had to be told that he was sending an impolite message to the masses. Also Churchill was a bit of a twat, so wouldn't put it past him doing it deliberately at times, even when he knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Dramatik

The bag holders on the self check out machines in Tescos, they seem to be made for the older, smaller plastic bags. So when you try and use it to hold open the newer plastic bags they just fall off it. Maybe I'm just using it wrong or or something :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

TA when people tell me I've lost weight when I've been practically the same weight for about 5 years (13 stone 5-ish pounds) then when I say I'm the same weight, they say "oh you're probably losing fat and gaining muscle"........ I don't go to the gym, I don't play sports - the most physical thing I do is my job, and even then it's not overly physically demanding. I definitely walk much less than I used to, because I carpool to work now, instead of walking, and when I'm actually in work, I'm usually in one spot for a couple of hours, cleaning. The most physically demanding aspect of my job is lifting and moving the equipment in and out of the van (water vacuum, etc) and the most amount of walking I do is when I do have to walk to work (it takes an hour).

When I'm not in work, I'm at home, eating like a pig and playing video games. So that definitely undoes any calorie loss I might have achieved at work.

So, when people tell me I've lost weight, I know outright, based on my knowledge of my own day-to-day schedule, they're lying. Stop blowing smoke up my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I have many of my family who will be impacted by the Covid closures. The special form for people seeking to claim is not downloadable on one page and there isn't a way of filling it in online.

I feel like a junior school teacher standing over my sibs with dyslexia who have a hard time filling in the form.

TA the amount of time I had to take calls and download this form as so many are dependant on their spouses to do this and those are t'ed off as its been ongoing since last night.
    TA I had big plans to teach myself databases today, with all of the above my brain is fried and its pointless trying.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

biko wrote: »
    People that don't understand how to use "confirm".
    https://sentence.yourdictionary.com/confirm

Instead they use it like "tell me".
    Can you tell me your name? Correct.
    Can you confirm your name? Incorrect.
    While we are in pedantic-mode. I want to let rip about people (some of them so-called experts) going on about the 'global pandemic'.
    A pandemic is a global epidemic you ninnies.
    Also when people say the 'ATM machine' :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

20 somethings with botox lips.

Your lips were a million times nicer before.... you clowns.

You now look like a Spitting Image puppet. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Cling Film !

It defies the laws of physics

It will always do what it wants to do.

It could be an olympic sport

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

My kids.How am i going to survive this.They cant even go out aagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

People not responding to messages

Fuppin passwords!!

I have maybe 10-ish accounts for different things and trying to remember varying passwords for each, cos you have to have different ones and you can't write them down..... aaaaaarrrhgh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

That bouncer from Molly Malones pub. What a plonker.
    Also the owners/manager for opening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

So I have everyone I love with me and I keep thinking of places we could visit then remembering everywheres closed. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Be right back

People not responding to messages

Yes, I agree. Messaged someone yesterday. Blue tick. No reply. She's usually quick to reply too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

This new reality is different for everyone I guess..I have a compromised immune system, so am looking after myself... but I'm definitely getting out every day .. lucky enough that I can walk into the countryside in minutes.
    2 weeks without work...and I know that my job won't be there afterwards... TA'd about it..but have accepted this fact....my gut feeling is that there could be thousands of people like me when this is eventually all over

I worry that I’m one of those people too, I know how you feel, which is a TA in itself

• Registered Users Posts: 49 MissDisaster

online college classes when you've no wifi at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,432 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

online college classes when you've no wifi at home.

Something that does annoy me is some people think everybody is online and have contact less cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

So I have everyone I love with me and I keep thinking of places we could visit then remembering everywheres closed. :(
    As long as you have a tent, nature is always opened,heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Because of the Corona scare some shops only accept cash while others only accept credit cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

People with loads of kids whining about being stuck with loads of kids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Teachers.
    In fine with everything else. Just teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

dubstarr wrote: »
    My kids.How am i going to survive this.They cant even go out aagh.
    A little duct tape goes a long way,heh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I think I have lost half of my blood supply through a miniscule cut on the tip of my finger.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement