Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobic attack on London bus - mod warning, please see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭circadian

It's not like muslims will be feeling sorry for these people anyways.

What's that got to do with the price of bread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Why has this made international news anyways? It's an assault. There's murders that don't even make the news so I wonder why this made it. The picture has something to do with it I suppose!

I’m sure people get a beating in Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick everyday without making the news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

What are these worse crimes? What are the stats in the UK?

Key statistics from police recorded crimes in 2017 :

57,600 rapes recorded by police in 2018 (157 per day)
    39,598 offences involving a knife or sharp instrument (108 per day)
    6,604 offences involving firearms - up from 5,864 in 2016 (18 per day)
    688 homicides (nearly 2 per day)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/rape-prosecution-england-wales-victims-court-cps-police-a8885961.html
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43905407

All of them worse than this incident, and yet this one makes international news , so what's so rare, special and newsworthy about it exactly ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

It's not like muslims will be feeling sorry for these people anyways.
    Strange. Did someone say they will?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    I’m sure people get a beating in Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick everyday without making the news.

The amount of deranged and sometimes murderous psychos I've encountered leaves me bemused at the homophobia angle.

Girls attacked by violent deranged psychos would be more accurate. But that happens all the time, and the perpetrators are probably well known by the locals too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Nobelium wrote: »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/rape-prosecution-england-wales-victims-court-cps-police-a8885961.html

All of them worse than this incident, and yet this one makes international news , so what's so rare, special and newsworthy about it exactly ?

It's just fodder for the perpetually outraged and people who look at gays as if they're different or need special treatment...

I'm a gay man and I think it's pathetic.

Bunch of whiners making an issue about a few knobs attacking people...

There's scuffles going on all over the place.
    I was in a gay bar in Manchester a few times and if you seen the scraps there, some of those gay guys are hard nuts....

They can fight as agressively as any other man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

B0jangles wrote: »
    After Hours these days is 99% a cesspit of racist, sexist, homophobic bigots plus those who just want to protect the right of racist, sexist homophobic bigots to speak their minds, for ideological reasons.

Is it? I honestly don't understand where this theory comes from. Yes there are some far right assholes, but there are also some far left assholes.

But overall my impression as a fairly infrequent visitor/contributor is that AH is a predominantly left leaning area.

Look at this thread as an example, yes one or 2 go straight for the "must have been a Muslim" angle, but the majority of the posts have been condemning that approach.

Maybe AH has a regular group of far right posters who make a lot of noise, but I would certainly feel that in terms of "population" its a more left leaning crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    It's just fodder for the perpetually outraged and people who look at gays as if they're different or need special treatment...

I'm a gay man and I think it's pathetic.

Bunch of whiners making an issue about a few knobs attacking people...

There's scuffles going on all over the place.
    I was in a gay bar in Manchester a few times and if you seen the scraps there, some of those gay guys are hard nuts....

They can fight as agressively as any other man.
    Yeah but these were 2 women so a bit different to some tough lads in a bar

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Yeah but these were 2 women so a bit different to some tough lads in a bar

women being attacked is so unusual it makes an individual international headline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I was interested in the bolded bit below:
    I can't see why worse crimes committed on public transport every day of the week and the victims are ignored, but this is somehow unusual rare and special enough to make international news ?

I should have made that clearer. What are the stats on crimes on public transport? You did specify.

• Advertisement

I was interested in the bolded bit below:

I should have made that clearer. What are the stats on crimes on public transport? You did specify.

you can dig them up yourself this time, are they extremely rare ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

The utter hypocrisy in this thread is astounding. While not calling out the OP for " Why do some men get upset, angry and offended at gay people existing", they also attack other posters for querying more descriptors of the attackers. I suppose its ok to attack an entire half of the population if they are men.

Interesting that the gender of the attackers was also revealed and no one had a problem with that.
    Here is a news report from the Limerick Leader of 1 week ago where 4 girls attacked another girl. Where is the thread about this or is it also somehow the patriarchy's fault.

Were I to write a thread along the lines of OP's based on this story, it would read "Why do some women get upset, angry and offended at other women existing", you can see the hypocrisy in not calling the OP out.

you can dig them up yourself this time, are they extremely rare ?

Oh, you seemed to know a bit about frequency of crime on public transport in the UK, going by your wording. Was that not the case?

Oh, you seemed to know a bit about frequency of crime on public transport in the UK, going by your wording. Was that not the case?

You think it's rare and special ? off you go this time and provide the stats

• Registered Users Posts: 81,366 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They have people in custody for it, they have not released the CCTV, it happened a week ago why did it only go in to the news a week later? Who decides on timing to relase this, were they waiting for maximum exposure when Trump left? All crimes are crimes, strategically releasing them is corrupt.

women being attacked is so unusual it makes an individual international headline?
    No but it's a completely different situation to a few lads scrapping in a bar

The fact they were attattacked cos they wouldn't put on a little lesbian show for a gang of scrotes on a bus is why it's in the news. But if it's not that unusual I'm sure you can dig out a few cases of it happening before

An Hiro wrote: »
    Why did they release a picture of themselves battered? Very odd.
    Odd how?

Loads of people who've been the victim of assaults release pictures of their injuries

You think it's rare and special ? off you go this time and provide the stats

I’m making no assumptions. And made no claims, unlike your good self. The onus isn’t on me here, I’m sorry to tell you.The absolute crime stats are above but neither linked article mentions public transport. You claimed that more serious crimes are happening on public transport “every day of the week”. The absolute cheek of you to ask me to back up your claim. :) If you don’t have stats to back up that point, just concede.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You've made an assumption it wasnt a group of gays. I'm sorry, but you don't know this. As such, your following points are invalid and you appear to find it blinding to your train of thought to see that people aren't just seeing this incident solely as "homophobic attack on two lesbians by men" but discussing the incident.

If you want a little echo chamber, go to Twitter and block those who upset you like a good poster.

Thankfully, those of us here years/non-re-regs, know all about the ignore function.

Kimsang wrote: »
    The utter hypocrisy in this thread is astounding. While not calling out the OP for " Why do some men get upset, angry and offended at gay people existing", they also attack other posters for querying more descriptors of the attackers. I suppose its ok to attack an entire half of the population if they are men.

Interesting that the gender of the attackers was also revealed and no one had a problem with that.
    Here is a news report from the Limerick Leader of 1 week ago where 4 girls attacked another girl. Where is the thread about this or is it also somehow the patriarchy's fault.

Were I to write a thread along the lines of OP's based on this story, it would read "Why do some women get upset, angry and offended at other women existing", you can see the hypocrisy in not calling the OP out.
    Of course it's not ok to attack the male population - who suggested that? The word "some" was even used. And of course the Limerick attack isn't the fault of "the patriarchy". Strange lot of putting words in people's mouths. The sex of attackers is always mentioned.

How come you didn't start a thread about the Limerick attack?

• Advertisement

I’m making no assumptions. And made no claims, unlike your good self. The onus isn’t on me here, I’m sorry to tell you.The absolute crime stats are above but neither linked article mentions public transport. You claimed that more serious crimes are happening on public transport “every day of the week”. The absolute cheek of you to ask me to back up your claim. :) If you don’t have stats to back up that point, just concede.

Do you dispute crimes on public transport are common or not ?

If so, why are public transport are so rare that they deserve an international headline as you seem to think, and also why is the location of the crime unusual enough to warrant international headlines ?

You've made an assumption it wasnt a group of gays. I'm sorry, but you don't know this. As such, your following points are invalid and you appear to find it blinding to your train of thought to see that people aren't just seeing this incident solely as "homophobic attack on two lesbians by men" but discussing the incident.

If you want a little echo chamber, go to Twitter and block those who upset you like a good poster.
    How likely do you think it is that they're a group of gay guys?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Will you not even acknowledge that they could just as easily have attacked somebody else? Okay the lesbians drew their attention, but it could have been anybody “different” or unthreatening on that train.

It could have been anyone but it wasn't. They attacked those girls because they knew they were a couple, because their being a couple drew their attention. They taunted them lewdly. Of course it was because they were gay.

I don't doubt they could have attacked anyone. But they did attack those girls and it is quite clear that they singled them out and attacked them because they were a couple.

If a group of white English lads attacked an African man and made racist taunts, you would not be making this same argument that it wasn't racist. You know it wouldn't wash.
    Is an attack on a heterosexual a “heterosexual attack?”

Notwithstanding the semantic problems with that sentence, if someone was singled out for being heterosexual and therefore attacked - yes, it would be an attack motivated by the fact they were heterosexual.

Ridiculous bollocksology.

Of course it's not ok to attack the male population - who suggested that? The word "some" was even used. And of course the Limerick attack isn't the fault of "the patriarchy". Strange lot of putting words in people's mouths. The sex of attackers is always mentioned.

How come you didn't start a thread about the Limerick attack?

I didn't deem it newsworthy as people are attacked all the time. Even by the Limerick Leader standards it didn't get much of a write up; because it can't be politicized.

I genuinely fear when I see good reasonable people such as yourself not see the blindingly obvious attack on men here. Were I to say some women are 'insert your favourite stereotype' I would be lambasted and rightly so. Its stereotyping and it leads to racism and sexism.

How about if I were to start a thread about a terrorist attack and start with "Why do some muslims get upset at other people existing" It would quite rightly be seen as an attack on muslims. Instead people usually affirm how much of a religion of peace it is. The equivalent in this news story would be to affirm how peaceful men are, after an individual man attacks someone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Everyone should buy some costa coffee or guinness to show support for LGBT after this attack.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

After Hours now seems to exist in this paradoxical wedge of the universe where the Gay Agenda and/or Jews are in control of the media and have a monopoly on power but at the very same time Islam is always just about to become the official religion of Europe.

It's like it has it's own five-second-rule: some of you will pick up and swallow any old right-wing BS as long as you don't have to think about it for any longer than that.

It would be funny if it wasn't so f*cking sad.

Like Jessie Smolett was assaulted for being gay? This is receiving a suspiciously large amount of coverage despite being incredibly scant on details. I think it is healthy to have a certain level of scepticism and curiosity. And I think you will find that no one for one second would disagree in expressing disgust and anger at those girls being randomly assaulted.

Really didn't see any posted by certain posters wanting to know the skin colour etc of the attackers or why it's news story, or being called on the same. Basically not even getting the prelude to the .. but.... part nowadays, standards are slipping.

wiggle16 wrote: »
    After Hours now seems to exist in this paradoxical wedge of the universe where the Gay Agenda and/or Jews are in control of the media and have a monopoly on power but at the very same time Islam is always just about to become the official religion of Europe.

It's like it has it's own five-second-rule: some of you will pick up and swallow any old right-wing BS as long as you don't have to think about it for any longer than that.

It would be funny if it wasn't so f*cking sad.

I don't know why you bring this up, but in real terms there are 1.8billion adherents to islam. In comparison there are 15million jews worldwide.

I myself am an atheist, but I always admired the jewish appreciation of eduacation. Maybe that could explain why they have proportionally far more nobel prizes than anyone else, or I guess you could claim conspiracy...

"Nobel Prizes have been awarded to over 900 individuals, of whom at least 20% were Jews, although the Jewish population comprises less than 0.2% of the world's population."

Do you dispute crimes on public transport are common or not ?

If so, why are public transport are so rare that they deserve an international headline as you seem to think, and also why is the location of the crime unusual enough to warrant international headlines ?

I have no idea if they are or not. And the links provided didn’t make things clearer. That’s why I was hoping you’d have more information to back up your claim. What’s the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

You'd think a 25 page (on mobile) thread on an assault would mostly be about comoassion for the victims or condemnation of the perpetrators, but no. It was driven first by people assuming the scumbags were black or muslim (maybe they are, maybe they aren't) and now by whataboutery. There probably are other victims worse off this weekend, but the incessant questioning of why this made news, rather than sympathy being expressed for the victims, is disturbing.

Advertisement