Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobic attack on London bus - mod warning, please see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Yeah, the thing is we would though
    yeah as i said the boards are clogged with the threads about every assault on london public transport alright
    I'm pretty sure if two straight women were given a hiding on a bus by 4 scrotes it'd make the news

I'm pretty sure if two straight women were given a hiding on a bus by 4 scrotes it'd make the news

which news

where are the boards threads about all the assaults on london public transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

This is the perfect chance to name and shame these hard men online: pictures, addresses etc. These kind of low life's deserve an element of vigilante justice, mainly in the form of public shaming. There's been four arrested but none charged as of yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

which news

What if , whatabout, . It is irrelevant because this thread is about two girls who were attacked . Show some empathy .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Sand wrote: »
    Not really. English is a specific ethnicity, like Scottish or Welsh. British is not. I am Irish. If I lived in the UK for 5 years, I could become British. But I would still be Irish, not English.

No, they're not. They are nationalities.

Irish - from Ireland
    English - from England
    Scottish - from Scotland
    Welsh - from Wales

British is a catch-all in that anyone from England, Scotland or Wales can call themselves British ie from Britain.

Ethnicity doesn't come into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

FTA69 wrote: »
    This site cracks me up at times. A pair of young women battered on the bus in an attack provoked due to their sexuality and people are either trying to play down the nature of the homophobia involved or else using this horrible incident based on prejudice to crowbar in a load of prejudice of their own.

Honestly like.

I know. When I heard about this today, I had no clear idea of what the perpetrators might be like apart from the obvious that they are scumbags because I think there are so many types of people who could be capable of this. It’s fascinating to see what people will project onto these as yet faceless perpetrators.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This is the perfect chance to name and shame these hard men online: pictures, addresses etc. These kind of low life's deserve an element of vigilante justice, mainly in the form of public shaming. There's been four arrested but none charged as of yet?
    they are children seemingly. "Youffs" in london parlance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭Sand

FunLover18 wrote: »
    No, they're not. They are nationalities.

Irish - from Ireland
    English - from England
    Scottish - from Scotland
    Welsh - from Wales

British is a catch-all in that anyone from England, Scotland or Wales can call themselves British ie from Britain.

Ethnicity doesn't come into it.

Is Paul McGrath British?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    What if , whatabout, . It is irrelevant because this thread is about two girls who were attacked . Show some empathy .

what crimes are deemed worthy of attention and which details of the victims and the attackers are deemed worthy of attention is very much relevant.

particularly when your options are to cheerlead or be condemned as ~x~

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Several racist motivated threads running in the last few days alone. Its the same posters "thanking" the more racist comments again & again. Its what the Internet is all about these days

Lol get a grip seriously.

I read the whole thread and haven't seen one racist comment, not one.

I looked up racism in the dictionary and it's not equated with any comments on the whole thread.

Trump wept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

which news

Loads of news. Google "women attacked on London bus". You'll see plenty of international news sites covering it.

I never said anything anything about boards threads

That was you

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

what crimes are deemed worthy of attention and which details of the victims and the attackers are deemed worthy of attention is very much relevant.

particularly when your options are to cheerlead or be condemned as ~x~

Sure a bit of empathy for anyone attacked would be better than finding reason to whinge about the reporting of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

London is a very dodgy place these days. The scum seem to rule the day.

Knife crime up 50% in 3 years. That’s what we get for being soft on crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I would doubt that the people.whi did this attack in Londin read the news nor care what happens a few hundred miles away in Birmingham :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Sand wrote:
    Is Paul McGrath British?

Phil lynnott, Phil Bab, Leo varadkar? 8 members of my family are black yet everyone of them are Irish. Brother and sister both born in Dublin almost 60 years ago but black. They speak Irish better than most here that are worried about their irishness being deluted.

What makes an Irish person? how much Irish DNA do you need to be Irish? A lot of the Irish football squad have less Irish DNA than my black brother and sister.

Loads of news. Google "women attacked on London bus". You'll see plenty of international news sites covering it.

I never said anything anything about boards threads

That was you

yeah

this is an irish discussion board in which people constantly bring up foreign news stories with an agenda and then bemoan the posters around them when its not followed to the letter

cesspit pearclutchin wails

the other site talking about trump ffs

ive asked on a few occasions why its worthy of notice that a specific crime on a specific type of person in a different country should be utilised to drum up my (to use the other poster's term) empathy

or else im obviously guilty of supporting the attackers

on the other hand when i ask why the personal characteristics of the attackers is an irrelevancy thats open season too

its ridiculous.

ye are far too desperate to be connected to a certain type of event and all too ready to acclaim yer credentials and declare the guilt of anyone not quick enough to jump in to the useless cant ("show empathy" to people several hundred miles away ffs, are ye starting a book of condoloences?)

there are several billion people in the world. telling people which ones and which events should matter to them every five seconds is a political position and to pretend it isnt is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Sand wrote: »
    Is Paul McGrath British?

What point are you trying to make? Paul McGrath was born in Britain and raised in Ireland, I believe he considers himself Irish as would most people however being born there he probably has a right to a British passport but neither term would have anything to do with his ethnicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Who mentioned muslims? Wasn’t the demographic I had in mind.

Perhaps stop mealy-mouthing then? At least have the courage of whatever the fück your convictions are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Knife crime up 50% in 3 years. That’s what we get for being soft on crime.

Probably a mix of Tory cuts and Khan too busy with street baloon protests, twitter, or just scared to intervene into communities and do something practical about it, images speak volumes:

Ldn knife crime over 5yrs, Southwark/Newham may as well be in Tijuana:

UUsnEPK.png

• Advertisement

Hedgelayer wrote:
    I read the whole thread and haven't seen one racist comment, not one.

Hedgelayer wrote:
    I looked up racism in the dictionary and it's not equated with any comments on the whole thread.

Hedgelayer wrote:
    Trump wept

I rest my case. Someone calling asylum seekers illegal immigrants to push an agenda have racist thoughts to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Because of religious beliefs

The gang of men, who take their religion very seriously, decided to batter the women.

Don't think so. Just thugs.

Phil lynnott, Phil Bab, Leo varadkar? 8 members of my family are black yet everyone of them are Irish. Brother and sister both born in Dublin almost 60 years ago but black. They speak Irish better than most here that are worried about their irishness being deluted.

What makes an Irish person? how much Irish DNA do you need to be Irish? A lot of the Irish football squad have less Irish DNA than my black brother and sister.

Well, thanks for putting your own personal biases on the table. Your family loyalties explain your views.

But aside from that personal confession, I didn't ask if Paul McGrath is Irish. I asked if he is British. Is he?

I would doubt that the people.whi did this attack in Londin read the news nor care what happens a few hundred miles away in Birmingham :rolleyes:

Umm didn't say anything about them reading and being influenced by the news, just that there is an element of homophobia in English society.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

I rest my case. Someone calling asylum seekers illegal immigrants to push an agenda have racist thoughts to say the least.

No they don't have racist thoughts, they're maybe uneducated and don't know the facts.

Maybe the anti racist brigade should help the racist's realize that racism isn't supported or nice.

Instead of getting all anxty with racist's why not help them find a better place, anger isn't justified.

Paradoxically the Sjw racist hater's are also lacking empathy and compassion for the racist's...

Know no better and do no better, it's all about the love sjw's....

Sand wrote:
    Well, thanks for putting your own personal biases on the table. Your family loyalties explain your views.

Isn't it funny how I state that my family are Irish yet you see the fact that some of my Irish born family are not white as personal bias.

This speaks volumes about your own biases

FunLover18 wrote: »
    What point are you trying to make? Paul McGrath was born in Britain and raised in Ireland, I believe he considers himself Irish as would most people however being born there he probably has a right to a British passport but neither term would have anything to do with his ethnicity.

The point I am trying to make is that your view is far too simplistic. Identity is complicated. Every person owns their own identity. Its not for me or you to set simplistic rules that anyone born in a particular geographical area must be of the people in the that area. McGrath is not exclusively British simply because he was born in the UK.

Equally, no one can simply claim the identity of a people the happen to share territory with. I do not become English simply by living in London. I can however be British, because anyone living in London for 5 years can be British. English and British are not interchangeable terms - one is an ethnicity and the other is a passport.

The attackers can be described as "British" and be from any part of the world. British as an identity has practically no meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Who mentioned muslims? Wasn’t the demographic I had in mind.
    Stop gaslighting and say who it is so. You're showing bit by bit how little sincerity there was to your "horrific" proclamation in your first post to this thread too.
    Hedgelayer wrote: »
    It doesn't matter whether they were attacked because they were of any sexual orientation.

Or whatever type of person the attacker's are to be honest.

An attack is an attack, unfortunately for these two young ladies they met up with the wrong crowd and got slagged off and a hiding.

Myself and the brother got attacked by a bunch of scobes on holidays in Wexford back in 1993 and were badly beaten.

We were attacked in an arcade/pool hall because we had a western lilt in our accent's by a few Dublin lads...

They called us ******'s too and culchies.....
    One girl in the group kicked me while on the ground...

Just got up after and dusted ourselves down, had a laugh about it and got on with the holidays in ****ty Courtown.

Big effen deal, it's over in the UK get over yourselves for being outraged.....
    Really? You're telling people how they should feel about it. And implying that the women should just dust themselves off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Because of religious beliefs

Ya everyone who is homophobic is religious:rolleyes::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Umm didn't say anything about them reading and being influenced by the news, just that there is an element of homophobia in society.

Fixed that for you.

Advertisement