Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doonbeg Begorragh!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    I seen a clip of the protesters, typical type's of educated idiot's

Always get a good chuckle out of this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

our economy that the USA props up

The USA props up the Irish economy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

The resort at Doonbeg was purchased by the Trumps as far as I’m aware.
    It would be a successful golf resort one way or another. There are other similar resorts around Ireland all doing solid business.

I find this sycophantic stuff a bit much.

Also Trump doesn’t run the multinationals that have presence here. If anything he’s not being taken all that seriously by big US business leaders. The companies are here because it’s a useful gateway into Europe both from a tax and business culture point of view. It’s not like the US is a command economy where the president tells companies where to invest. They invest here because it suits them.

He’s also the son of a Scots Gaelic native speaker from a small cottage in the western isles that’s about as much like the west of Ireland as you could possibly get. He’s not going to find rural Ireland an unfamiliar place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Quote Drumpf, Brexit will be 'Very, very good' for Ireland, and comparing the border to his wall.
    Talking out of his hole.

Irish America is a spent force, once upon a time it meant something, now they're just 'Americans' who gulp down green beer and corned beef and cabbage on St Pattys Day.

You say Drumpf,I say P.O.T.U.S. -Tomato/tomayto.

P.O.T.U.S. is the game. The incumbent is a passing fad.

Irish -America is content rather than "a spent force".

I doubt any politician running for office in the U.S. would be willing enough to test your theory by kicking that sleeping tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lucy8080 wrote: »

I doubt any politician running for office in the U.S. would be willing enough to test your theory by kicking that beast.
    It is pretty much dead in a political context. Irish American is not considered a voting demographic anymore.

Apart from a few old societies on the east coasts like Friends of Ireland and The Ancient Order of Hibernians, which is full of pensioners,there's nothing much kicking there anymore .

They've well and truly assimilated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

It is pretty much dead in a political context. Irish American is not considered a voting demographic anymore.

Apart from a few old societies on the east coasts like Friends of Ireland and The Ancient Order of Hibernians, which is full of pensioners,there's nothing much kicking there anymore .

They've well and truly assimilated.

They are content. Not feeling the need to agitate,if you like. We are kinda in agreement here.

Trump rowed back on his idiotic border gaffe once Leo corrected him. It won't register at home. All he needs to do is get through the next few day's without major upset.

There are times I think it's coming. I Don't know where or when or how,but ,it makes him box office.

Edit: And I don't mean just the Irish demographic. Today's press conference had a lot of potential ,but was so disorganised it got defanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Looked great on the news in the sunshine.

Word is some of the trumps are going to join the locals for a few scoops

Doonbeg looked fantastic on the RTÉ news. Not so much on VM...the hotel looked like a haunted house :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The USA props up the Irish economy?

Sure, don't the soldiers buy mars bars at Shannon on the stop overs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    It's one the best surf and fishing beaches in Clare.
    It's a storm beach, majestic looking when there's an offshore breeze and a heavy.ground swell.
    It was our favourite beach for family visits growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

All the US networks reporting on Doonbeg

Hope they get lots of tour buses for the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I for one, welcome our Doonbegian overlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It's completely possible that Donald Trump's sons are actually sound, but they look like absolute jizzlords; punchable heads doesn't even come close.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fella on RTÉ news sayin he’s optimistic don himself will go to the village at some stage

Fella on RTÉ news sayin he’s optimistic don himself will go to the village at some stage

Will his unusually tiny hands be able to competently grasp a pint of porter? The world watches and waits...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Psychlops wrote: »
    Welcome Mr President.

Get your tongue outta there you.

The locals were loving DJ and Eric apparently. Amazing how a few free pints can make your memory/morals go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I hear they might rename the place Donbeg in his honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,782 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yurt! wrote: »
    Will his unusually tiny hands be able to competently grasp a pint of porter? The world watches and waits...

He can always order a glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,782 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lucy8080 wrote: »

I doubt any politician running for office in the U.S. would be willing enough to test your theory by kicking that sleeping tiger.

Irish America got what they wanted, being Catholic hasn't been a barrier to high public office for years.
    Irish Americans couldn't give two ****s about illegal, sorry, "undocumented" Irish. Only a live issue for Irish that snuck in and our govt who keep lobbying for people who can't follow rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Anteayer wrote: »
    It would be a successful golf resort one way or another. There are other similar resorts around Ireland all doing solid business.
    The club has been losing over a million a year since 2014.

Since then, Doonbeg has never reported turning a profit, losing more than $1 million every year from 2014 to 2017, according to Irish corporate records.

He can always order a glass.

If he orders a glass of G he deserves to be ran out of the country with a hurl.

Lizzie had the good manners to look longingly at a pint, as is custom. Even if she didn't drink it, I'll give the auld Kraut credit, you know she wanted a sup bad.

Obama is the gold standard, he handled the porter ritual as if it was a sacred Japanese tea ceremony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    President Obama stayed about 19 hours and a motorway plaza was named after him.

President Trump is surely owed a motorway plaza and a few town streets.

Perhaps a few Laundrettes? Would be symbolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

valoren wrote: »
    Perhaps a few Laundrettes? Would be symbolic.
    A commemorative wall, say somewhere near the border?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are forgetting that Doonbeg had closed down before Trump bought it, he Russians pumped millions into it.

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭boetstark

_blaaz wrote: »
    To best of my knowlege the paddys day visit is offial...your comparing apples and oranges?

Trump.is a multi billionaire businesman,who prob stands to make millions off his doonbeg investment (and more power to him for that)....but why are my taxes being used to cover security costs for an unoffial trip/holiday for him??

Very simple really. He is visiting in a private capacity but he is still the President of the United States even when on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Get your tongue outta there you.

The locals were loving DJ and Eric apparently. Amazing how a few free pints can make your memory/morals go.

These people are providing loads of jobs directly and indirectly to the village. So yes people will play up does not mean anything. I suppose if your employer was around and came with free drink you would throw it in there face and tell them what for

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    President Obama stayed about 19 hours and a motorway plaza was named after him.

President Trump is surely owed a motorway plaza and a few town streets.

Google Trump plaza

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

One of the most galling thing for me in this Doonbeg adulation of Trump is the way the Parish priest is fawning over them.
    By all means extend a bit of courtesy if an investor in the local economy is present but "saving a place in heaven" for the sons kind of ****e is just embarrassing.

Trump compared the NI border to the US Mexico border, he obviously hasn't a clue about the situation in Ireland as regards Brexit. That is simply not good enough for a world leader visiting this country, engaging in talks about that issue.

The priest praising a leader whose policies involve separating children from parents at borders, some of whom may never be re-united. How can a priest, or anyone with any morals find that acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭boetstark

Anteayer wrote: »

I find this sycophantic stuff a bit much.

Also Trump doesn’t run the multinationals that have presence here. If anything he’s not being taken all that seriously by big US business leaders. The companies are here because it’s a useful gateway into Europe both from a tax and business culture point of view. It’s not like the US is a command economy where the president tells companies where to invest. They invest here because it suits them.

He’s also the son of a Scots Gaelic native speaker from a small cottage in the western isles that’s about as much like the west of Ireland as you could possibly get. He’s not going to find rural Ireland an unfamiliar place.

If you think that being unfriendly to the President of the United States whoever it may be , would not affect US companies doing business here , well I'm lost for words.
    We are not the only country with low corporate tax rates.
    Higgins showed his ignorance yesterday with his name calling.
    Our so called head of state is a blustering national embarrassment.

joe40 wrote: »
    One of the most galling thing for me in this Doonbeg adulation of Trump is the way the Parish priest is fawning over them.
    By all means extend a bit of courtesy if an investor in the local economy is present but "saving a place in heaven" for the sons kind of ****e is just embarrassing.

Trump compared the NI border to the US Mexico border, he obviously hasn't a clue about the situation in Ireland as regards Brexit. That is simply not good enough for a world leader visiting this country, engaging in talks about that issue.

The priest praising a leader whose policies involve separating children from parents at borders, some of whom may never be re-united. How can a priest, or anyone with any morals find that acceptable?

The President of the US, the world's most influential and powerful democracy, and a democracy that Irish people played no small part in building, should always receive a welcome on this island - no matter who holds the office.

He's a bit of a sh*tehawk, and not the best president to put it mildly, but he's the President nonetheless; chosen by the good people of America. You can disagree, but I wouldn't be willing to p*ss on that relationship because of some bad policy decisions.

The reception he's receiving is unsurprisingly more muted than let's say what Clinton got, and that man had a very dirty bib indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

joe40 wrote: »

I was waiting for the local priest to be brought into the discussion, typical of the new wave ignorance...

I ain't religious but he's entitled to welcome someone if he likes, after all the Christian way is not to judge whether you have morals or not you'll always be welcome.

Morals are oxymoronic anyhow...

Advertisement