Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doonbeg Begorragh!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Every year they host us officially and you are that concerned about the status of a return visit?

Is Leo a buddy of his? A member of Doombeg golf club?
    You dont meet Leo if you are only here on holiday. That visit did not happen by chance
    It may not be a full blown state level visit but it is official.

Yes im concerned about status of the trip??

I dont really care about varadkar meeting him or not....just think i pay a fcukton of tax every year and dont want it wasted on unoffial visits/holidays for billionaires?

This is hardly unreasonable to enquire wheter he will reimburse the state the cost or not??

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Did Leo not invite him?

Im trying to find this out

But noone seems to know,and if it is offial,how is it.....hes not met the president?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Did Leo not invite him?

I think it was Inda who first invited him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I find it funny that some politicians call him sexist and a misogynist, these same people had no problem welcoming a president who was getting blowies from his intern.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I think it was Inda who first invited him.

You're right. Two cheeks of the same arseðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

“Does doonbeg love trump?”

“YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!”

Video doing the rounds

_blaaz wrote: »
    Im trying to find this out

But noone seems to know,and if it is offial,how is it.....hes not met the president?

Varadkar met the US President in Shannon Airport today. It's an official visit, but not a State visit, so no need to meet our own President.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I think a lot of people are forgetting that Doonbeg had closed down before Trump bought it, he pumped millions into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are forgetting that Doonbeg had closed down before Trump bought it, he pumped millions into it.

Noonan equated it to the IDA bringing 300 jobs to Clare in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

_blaaz wrote: »
    Yes im concerned about status of the trip??

I dont really care about varadkar meeting him or not....just think i pay a fcukton of tax every year and dont want it wasted on unoffial visits/holidays for billionaires?

This is hardly unreasonable to enquire wheter he will reimburse the state the cost or not??

There could be a bit of lobbying by Leo for E3 visa's. Only Australians have access to it at the moment.

P.O.T.U.S. visits can be good for tourist dollars and Irish influence in America.
    Want the Irish American vote? Did you give the old country that visa/request they asked for?

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

If trump did anything good or bad the people who don't like him won't agree with you.

No matter what Trump does they manipulate their agenda.

I don't like the way he's being hard on Iran.
    The ordinary Joe soap is getting effected.

But I like other things about him, when the facts are there to show how he's turning around the American economy, that's a good thing.

I like what he did with Doonbeag, he doesn't mind locals having access to the beach, the surfer horse trainer's and locals had awful hassle with the previous owners of the hotel.
    There was war with the locals who used the beach for amenity purposes.

Under trump's management they're integrating the locals with the business.

Call a spade a spade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Don't like Trump as an individual but it's a necessary evil to be cordial and diplomatic with him for the sake of ties between Ireland and the USA of which he is the democratically elected president.

Some people are so blinded in their hatred of the man that they cannot see the bigger picture. And I would include a lot of supposedly intelligent people in that grouping, political commentators, politicians, businessmen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Another 4 years of Trump hopefully. If he gets under the skin of the loony liberals then he must be doing something right. Long may he reign.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Another 4 years of Trump hopefully. If he gets under the skin of the loony liberals then he must be doing something right. Long may he reign.

That's the funny thing about it,the more the looney left get outraged the more the moderates and right seem to love him.

It's a paradox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    That's the funny thing about it,the more the looney left get outraged the more the moderates and right seem to love him.

It's a paradox

It's not really. Nobody likes the fun police.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Hedgelayer wrote: »

But I like other things about him, when the facts are there to show how he's turning around the American economy, that's a good thing.

That's a claim made by Trump but like a lot of things that he says, it tends not to be true. Not having a go but sometimes members of the public take him at his word and repeat his claims as fact.image?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffortunedotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2019%2F06%2Fcomparison_trump_obama.png&w=700&q=85

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Don't like Trump as an individual but it's a necessary evil to be cordial and diplomatic with him for the sake of ties between Ireland and the USA of which he is the democratically elected president.

Some people are so blinded in their hatred of the man that they cannot see the bigger picture.

Yeah, regardless of who is president, we sort of have to just suck it up. We do it for all of them and it is important for us to maintain a good relationship, regardless of who holds the office. We're a small country and need more from them than they do from us.

He'll be gone in a day and it's not like his talk of Brexit and the border will be taken seriously by anyone.

And as much as it pains me to say it, I admire his charity. The golf course loses around a million a year and yet he still pays a few hundred staff in the village. If he was a profit-orientated businessman, he might pull out but instead he chooses to keep the village afloat. Credit where it's due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The Messiah has certainly put that place on the map this week.. I've never heard of it before his visit, now the next time I'm down that way if I see a sign for it I'll likely spin by, looks great on telly.

We've booked a room in his hotel for a few nights in July. The village looked amazing on the news. Business will be brisk for the village and the hotel after this visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Very strange little live clip from Doonebeg on Sky tonight.

They had a reporter live, Irish guy, there as the two Trump sons were going into a local pub. Seems they've been visiting pubs tonight buying pints for the locals.

Reporters shouts to one son and he gives a polite answer.

Next thing the blonde son actually walks up behind the reporter trying to get his attention to say a few words, he's actually bombing the shot in the background for over a minute trying to get in just 2 ft from the guy.
    Reporter see him and completely ignores him as if he's one of the kids hanging around outside the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    There could be a bit of lobbying by Leo for E3 visa's. Only Australians have access to it at the moment.

P.O.T.U.S. visits can be good for tourist dollars and Irish influence in America.
    Want the Irish American vote? Did you give the old country that visa/request they asked for?

Quote Drumpf, Brexit will be 'Very, very good' for Ireland, and comparing the border to his wall.
    Talking out of his hole.

Irish America is a spent force, once upon a time it meant something, now they're just 'Americans' who gulp down green beer and corned beef and cabbage on St Pattys Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think this visit has been a massive embarrassment for us.

It was incredibly ungracious by anyones standards. I actually wonder how they found those tiny flower pots to sit either side at the press conference. You'd hardly have been able to rustle anything more pathetic up if you only had a shopping trip to 1985. It certainly won't intice visitors.

Also on the news today at 1 and again at 4 the reporter covering the Clare protests was very actively encouraging people to come and join and bring their children.
    She actually said it was going to be family friendly event with music and food and hopefully people will come with families and the gardai were making assurance it would be peaceful and fine for children. By 4 she was virtually begging people to turn up and by 6 she sounds very disappointed and mentioned there were more reporters gathered there than protestors.

It just goes to show how far removed our media and politicians are from sentiment on the ground , which while it might not actively like Trump, feels no need to degrade him, particularly not at the expense of our economy that the USA props up.
    We have really cut off our nose to spite on this one... and all to impress Leo's twitter and insta followers.
    Sure , who needs rural employment or a chance to properly explain Brexit from our perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

That's a claim made by Trump but like a lot of things that he says, it tends not to be true. Not having a go but sometimes members of the public take him at his word and repeat his claims as fact.

Not having a go but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dexter2019

Danzy wrote: »
    Most powerful man in the world.

Who?, Leo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dexter2019

Would you go way would you ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I dont agree with trump on much but he is President of the USA at the end of the day. No military guard of honour, no young girls with flowers to greet them, barely a ripple of applause ,just Leo with a smug face behind a van. A very poor effort

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

it gives employment. after all those 191s dont pay for themselves.
    we're very thankful for american companies here and their investment and jobs. after all those 191s dont pay for themselves.

personally im a big fan of President Trump. hes a man who's not afraid to say what he thinks. too much b s around these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Donald Trump is a legend,the best leader the World has ever seen. So great to see him visit our beautiful Country. And great to hear him say he loves Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The Donald looks after his own flock.

No he doesn't. He treats his staff terribly.

You are right about one thing. Flock is the correct term. They are sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Donald Trump is a legend,the best leader the World has ever seen. So great to see him visit our beautiful Country. And great to hear him say he loves Ireland :)

I love *insert country that aligns with our interests here*.

Advertisement