Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is America treating the UK like a colony?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭threeball

Aegir wrote: »
    The worst thing that could happen, Francie, is that one of those Russian bombers flying over Irish controlled airspace, with no transponders on and therefore invisible to commercial airlines, could hit a 747 and bring both of them down.

British subs dragging Irish trawlers to the depths is ok but the extremely remote possibility of a commercial airliner hitting a Russian jet off the West coast is the thing that worries you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭threeball

Christ. Think bigger.

Yes we were at war with the British for 800 years, but now they are allies. Maybe you missed the news bulletin.

How about this:
    Russian and British fighters are 'playing' over Galway bay. To scare a British fighter back home, a Russian jet missile locks a British jet. With afterburners, the British pilot can be on the ground in Brize Norton in under two minutes. Instead, his wingman missile locks the Russian jet and presses fire. Russian jet goes down.

The Kremlin treats this as an act of war and because Ireland did nothing to stop it, considers Ireland complicit.

Ireland: But we are neutral!
    Kremlin: So is Switzerland but their jets would have dissolved this situation before anything happened. Where were yours?
    Ireland: We dont have any jets, in an emergency we use...the RAF
    Kremlin: So you are complicit.

I could go on, it could get much worse than that. If the worst it can get for you is 2 jets dropping onto Galway then I don't know what to say to you.

Fcuk me, some people have an active imagination. The kids must love your bedtime stories. Harry Potter wouldn't hold a candle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The worst thing that could happen, Francie, is that one of those Russian bombers flying over Irish controlled airspace, with no transponders on and therefore invisible to commercial airlines, could hit a 747 and bring both of them down.
    Its remotely possible. A couple of Russian planes flying incognito, and whose radar systems had become disabled, could bump into a 747 also flying with its transponder off. Fairly unlikely though.

Its not something I would lie awake at night worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

i've only been in boards for a short while but why all the brit bashing?

I think you might be confusing a dislike for 'Rule Britannia' types with xenophobia. The vast majority of British people are a grand bunch of lads. I think upwards of 200 thousand British people moved to Ireland in recent years and you'd barely notice because they integrate so well into Irish society - like we do in Britain.

Then, on the other hand, you have people posting on this very thread who are still sore about Irish independence from Britain despite having lived here for generations.

Crazy, but that's how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Find it pretty hillarious all round that all these Brexiteers are so in love with Trump and all the US wants to do is shaft them. Will be worse than anything the EU ever done. Starting with the NHS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Amazing how the Shinner Bots usually start the threads.

'Tis their job, you can spot them easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,147 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

steddyeddy is a 'shinnerbot' now too. :D:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

They'll be bending over to India soon too now India are becoming an economic powerhouse and Britain is in freefall. Great to see the former colonies put manners on the vile British empire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Christ. Think bigger.

Yes we were at war with the British for 800 years, but now they are allies. Maybe you missed the news bulletin.

How about this:
    Russian and British fighters are 'playing' over Galway bay. To scare a British fighter back home, a Russian jet missile locks a British jet. With afterburners, the British pilot can be on the ground in Brize Norton in under two minutes. Instead, his wingman missile locks the Russian jet and presses fire. Russian jet goes down.

The Kremlin treats this as an act of war and because Ireland did nothing to stop it, considers Ireland complicit.

Ireland: But we are neutral!
    Kremlin: So is Switzerland but their jets would have dissolved this situation before anything happened. Where were yours?
    Ireland: We dont have any jets, in an emergency we use...the RAF
    Kremlin: So you are complicit.

I could go on, it could get much worse than that. If the worst it can get for you is 2 jets dropping onto Galway then I don't know what to say to you.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Don't give up the day job, unless you are a fiction writer, then I'd defo look at doing something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭purplepanda

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I don't think you sign trade deals with a colony... you don't really need to, implicitly.
    The UK has been a client state of the US since Suez.

Many English often say the UK is a puppet state of the USA, from sometime since the end of WW2.

Maybe the 1958 US-UK Defence Agreement was when this process started?

http://https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_US%E2%80%93UK_Mutual_Defence_Agreement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I think you might be confusing a dislike for 'Rule Britannia' types with xenophobia. The vast majority of British people are a grand bunch of lads. I think upwards of 200 thousand British people moved to Ireland in recent years and you'd barely notice because they integrate so well into Irish society - like we do in Britain.

Then, on the other hand, you have people posting on this very thread who are still sore about Irish independence from Britain despite having lived here for generations.

200,000 people from the U.K. lots would be nordies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

steddyeddy is a 'shinnerbot' now too. :D:D:D:D

Your point being? His posting history certainly would put him in that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You mixed up the words british and english. I don't think anyone dislikes the scottish or welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Is this Russian threat thing fallout from brexit? I think most people know that Britain will end up back in the 1970's but bringing the reds under the bed thing back is bit much really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

So no harm actually occurred. How many Irish fishing boats have been sunk by British submarines?

Who knows and how do you know it was a British submarine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Who knows and how do you know it was a British submarine?

They admitted (eventually) it more than once.

A British submarine damaged a fishing trawler it dragged through the Irish Sea, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed.

The Karen was pulled at 10 knots after the sub snagged in its fishing nets 18 miles from Ardglass on the south-east shore of Northern Ireland in April. The trawler was badly damaged but the crew escaped unharmed.

Trawler skipper tells of 'submarine dragging incident' in Irish Sea
    Read more
    MoD minister Penny Mordaunt said: “The Royal Navy has now confirmed that a UK submarine was, in fact, responsible for snagging the Karen’s nets. The incident, the delay in identifying and addressing the events on that day, and their consequences are deeply regretted

Is this Russian threat thing fallout from brexit? I think most people know that Britain will end up back in the 1970's but bringing the reds under the bed thing back is bit much really.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/raf-forced-to-intercept-as-russian-bomber-planes-enter-irish-airspace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

From your own link.
    "At no time did these aircraft enter Irish sovereign airspace. The aircraft were operating in Irish controlled airspace which extends 256 nautical miles off the west coast of Ireland, at no time did the aircraft infringe Irish sovereign airspace which extends to 12 nautical miles off the Irish coast.

"There was no safety impact to civilian traffic operating in Irish controlled airspace."

An RAF spokesman said: "We can confirm that quick reaction alert Typhoon aircraft from RAF Lossiemouth and RAF Coningsby scrambled to monitor two Blackjack bombers while they were in the UK area of interest.

"At no point did the Russian aircraft enter UK territorial airspace."

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Your point being? His posting history certainly would put him in that category.

I generally think that most of the views of England on this thread are directed at the upper classes in England who brought about Brexit and now are destroying the country for the ordinary people of Britain. They sold them a lie about "freedom" and taking back control all the while the architects like Jacob Rees Mogg moves his hedge fund firm to Dublin, Dyson moves his businesses to Singapore and Boris Johnson writes two articles prior to Brexit one espousing the qualities of the EU and the other slating it.

Most of my friends here are ordinary English people who I have a great affection for. Brexit will destroy their economy, their futures and isolate them from Europe all because they believe in some Imperial idea of Britain.

You think I'm anti-Britain because I'm complaining that they're selling their future for some imperial fairy tail when it's actually the arch-brexiters who are anti-Britain. Previously British imperialism came at a cost to the world, now a select few are turning that imperialism against their own country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

There is no military threat to us from either Russia, the USA or GB.
    Even though it might suit various vested interests to stir up some fears about one or other of them.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I generally think that most of the views of England on this thread are directed at the upper classes in England who brought about Brexit and now are destroying the country for the ordinary people of Britain. They sold them a lie about "freedom" and taking back control all the while the architects like Jacob Rees Mogg moves his hedge fund firm to Dublin, Dyson moves his businesses to Singapore and Boris Johnson writes two articles prior to Brexit one espousing the qualities of the EU and the other slating it.

Most of my friends here are ordinary English people who I have a great affection for. Brexit will destroy their economy, their futures and isolate them from Europe all because they believe in some Imperial idea of Britain.

You think I'm anti-Britain because I'm complaining that they're selling their future for some imperial fairy tail when it's actually the arch-brexiters who are anti-Britain. Previously British imperialism came at a cost to the world, now a select few are turning that imperialism against their own country.

I`m English and one thing brexit has shown me is how bad the political system is here.The many ruled by a few privileged elites who are only interested in themselves and certainly not the ordinary people although the "lets get on with it"brigade don`t seem able to smell the coffee-perhaps trumps comments about trade and the NHS will wake them up.

I`m English and one thing brexit has shown me is how bad the political system is here.The many ruled by a few privileged elites who are only interested in themselves and certainly not the ordinary people although the "lets get on with it"brigade don`t seem able to smell the coffee-perhaps trumps comments about trade and the NHS will wake them up.

Completely agree Rob. In fact I think that the vast majority of people here are completely misrepresented by their politicians. I have met no one like Boris Johnson or Jacob Rees Mogg here. The closest was a colleague from Oxford who was very elitist and held similar views. I get angry because if you watch something like Question Time these muppets sell the public lie after lie and any attempt to challenge them results in shouting and insults.

Would you agree that generally the 'many' have turned a blind eye to what the 'few' have done in their name over the centuries and right up to the present day?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The many ruled by a few privileged elites who are only interested in themselves and certainly not the ordinary people

This is the human story and in no way is just a problem for English/British people. Anyone who thinks we don't have an elite in Ireland is fooling themselves. Our Taoiseach and Tánaiste, Varadker and Coveney, are private school educated and move in the equivalent of Ireland's elite circles.

This is the human story and in no way is just a problem for English/British people. Anyone who thinks we don't have an elite in Ireland is fooling themselves. Our Taoiseach and Tiste, Varadker and Coveney, are private school educated and move in the equivalent of Ireland's elite circles.

Call me a reverse snob all you like but I find that people from privileged circles enter politics because they feel the world owes them something rather than the other way around. It's amazing that entitlement is something that working class people are accused.

Would you agree that generally the 'many' have turned a blind eye to what the 'few' have done in their name over the centuries and right up to the present day?

If you grow up in a country you see things as normal because you know no different-I see now there have been atrocities committed in the name of "British interests" but it doesn't diminish my feelings for my country,warts and all.

If you grow up in a country you see things as normal because you know no different-I see now there have been atrocities committed in the name of "British interests" but it doesn't diminish my feelings for my country,warts and all.

Nobody asked you to 'diminish your feelings', I love my country but have many criticisms.

I would find my behaviour odd if I was on a foreign website passionately defending all comers though if I really believed we had committed atrocities abroad.
    I would feel even more distinctly odd if I was a 'citizen' of that foreign country and was defending to the bitter end the actions of another country against my fellow citizens.

This is the human story and in no way is just a problem for English/British people. Anyone who thinks we don't have an elite in Ireland is fooling themselves. Our Taoiseach and Tánaiste, Varadker and Coveney, are private school educated and move in the equivalent of Ireland's elite circles.
    None of those Irish politicians you mention appears to have an 18th century view of life like the English elite-ie:the rich who have a God given right to rule and the rest of us,a bunch of unpleasant peasants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Its a can of worms to open, but there is a reason the best places in the world also happen to be the places who worked toward their own advantages. And yes, often at the expense of others. But they would have done the same thing given the opportunity. That's the world for you, since forever.

The idea that someone else from somewhere else can hold the hand out, while at the same time criticising you, has a leg to stand on is insane.

We all act in our own interests, and by eventual extension our individual countrys interests.

Don't let anyone guilt trip you about anything, and doubly so if theyre looking for something off you. Such a nonsensical notion.

"please act against your own interests" :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

janfebmar wrote: »
    Rubbish. They did not go to Vietnam for example.
    The US were on the ground from 1965 to 1973

The UK had a couple of was going on at the time.
    Brunei Revolt 1962–1966
    Indonesia–Malaysia confrontation 1962-1966
    Dhofar Rebellion 1962–1975
    Aden Emergency 1963–1967

And Northern Ireland flared up too. Besides Vietnam was a French colony.

There were also the Second and Third Cod Wars.

Blair's is regarded by some as a war criminal for following the US. Other PM's have had to resign over empty US promises.

Advertisement