Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is America treating the UK like a colony?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

The subject is 'Is America treating the UK like a colony?', I think that it is quite evident for some time that Britain is America's colony in Europe. They do everything they are asked to do.

Rubbish. They did not go to Vietnam for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,146 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

janfebmar wrote: »
    Rubbish. They did not go to Vietnam for example.

You have to go back to the 1960's to find an example?? And a war which was one of the biggest mistakes America ever got involved in? :)

Playing chicken with British jets, who are stupid enough to play with them...what if a British pilot made a mistake and came down in Galway city?

I'm sorry but you seem small minded by that comment. The worst that could happen is a british jet fighter coming down in Galway city? Thats the worst that could happen?

I'm from Galway myself btw.

I'm sorry but you seem small minded by that comment. The worst that could happen is a british jet fighter coming down in Galway city? Thats the worst that could happen?

I'm from Galway myself btw.

Both could come down...that would be worse.

Are you afraid the Russians are going to attack us? Only one of the pair to attack us is allegedly the British when they bombed Dublin and Monaghan and Belturbet plus much more.

The Russians have no history of aggression towards us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

That 1935 agreement was an attempt to limit German naval power and is easily researched...poor old Francie thought it was maybe the greatest alliance the world has ever known:rolleyes:

You will find Americans more clued than you think, over 400,000 were killed in ww2, I think the Government there know who they were fighting against. They are not flying Trump to Normandy tomorrow to dig sandcastles.

Trump supporters though do like what the German stereotype is though.

They don't realize Frank-Walter Steinmeier was democratically elected president just 2 yrs ago and he hates Trump.

• Advertisement

Are you afraid the Russians are going to attack us? Only one of the pair to attack us is allegedly the British when they bombed Dublin and Monaghan and Belturbet plus much more.

I suppose if you keep saying things against the British you will even believe them yourself. Saying the Russians had no history of aggression towards us is like saying the Nazis had no history of aggression towards us. Never mind that they invaded many small neutral countries.

They don't realize Frank-Walter Steinmeier was democratically elected president just 2 yrs ago and he hates Trump.

The same Frank-Walter Steinmeier whose lenient policies towards countries such as Russia and China have earned him criticism both in Germany and internationally, and who has been criticized for prioritizing German business interests over human rights?

I suppose if you keep saying things against the British you will even believe them yourself. Saying the Russians had no history of aggression towards us is like saying the Nazis had no history of aggression towards us. Never mind that they invaded many small neutral countries.

And the British were always such a benevolent nation as far as we were concerned.

Try taking the blinkers off for a while Jan and seeing the real politik of the world without your made in Blighty rose tinted specs.

Sleep tight and check for them pesky rooskies under the bed!

And the British were always such a benevolent nation as far as we were concerned.

Ask the hundreds of thousands of Irish people who volunteered and joined the UK forces in WW1 and WW2. All were treated fairly. Of course you being an extremist Republican think that Sean Russell was right and when he died on a German submarine, it showed that the Irish-Nazi alliance was correct and huge.:rolleyes:....and your friends the nazis were great lads altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

same like you drink tea with milk and do not understand how rest of the world could drink tea without milk.

Hey HEY HEY. :mad:

You leave tea OUT OF THIS. Don't you dare try to come between us and our tea. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Wtf are you on about. The Irish population of the US is <10%. The KKK is mostly Anglo American or scotch Irish (ie Protestants).
    Exclusively so.

Catholics were targetted by the Klan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Hey HEY HEY. :mad:

You leave tea OUT OF THIS. Don't you dare try to come between us and our tea. :mad:

As long as it's Yorkshire tea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Quite amazing how the resident loyalists, Rangers fans and Brit army cheerleaders are so quick into these threads.

Amazing how the Shinner Bots usually start the threads.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Amazing how the Shinner Bots usually start the threads.

How to qualify as a 'shinnerbot' - say one thing critical of old Blighty and make the boys and girls cry. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

We all know the real reason Trump was in Britain was to get British support for a war against Iran.

Weak U.S. presidents use the war excuse as a way to bolster support from the USA USA crowd and they have to pick a country that is not a complete walkover but offers some resistance. The religion aspect helps home support too. It'll make a great photoshoot with Trump on an aircraft carrier in the gulf, cementing his own opinion as the hard man of the world.

Britain of course will join up as they are getting beat up from Ireland and the EU atm and this will force the world to take Britain more seriously.
    The world will shudder at the power of USA and Britain.

* just getting this post in early. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

RobMc59 wrote: »
    As long as it's Yorkshire tea :)

Yorkshire Gold has its charms.

How to qualify as a 'shinnerbot' - say one thing critical of old Blighty and make the boys and girls cry. :):)

Don't turn any sports channels on tonight as your 2 worst nightmares will be on-England and Holland-all those union Jack's and all that orange may make you feel ill:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

i've only been in boards for a short while but why all the brit bashing? there seems to be s vocal few who never miss an opportunity to have a go at britain and england. seems a bit weird that's all, start a thread about anything and "they" appear with their anti british rants.

i thought we'd move on.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Don't turn any sports channels on tonight as your 2 worst nightmares will be on-England and Holland-all those union Jack's and all that orange may make you feel ill:)

It's cute at this stage that you need to see any criticism as some sort of general bloodlust for the saxon foe. :)

As it happens, I have holidayed in the Netherlands for the last number of years, I prefer it (or my skin does) to the ovens of southern Europe so I will be shouting for them. Never had much time for the English soccer team tbh.

The worst thing that could happen, Francie, is that one of those Russian bombers flying over Irish controlled airspace, with no transponders on and therefore invisible to commercial airlines, could hit a 747 and bring both of them down.

• Advertisement

Aegir wrote: »
    The worst thing that could happen, Francie, is that one of those Russian bombers flying over Irish controlled airspace, with no transponders on and therefore invisible to commercial airlines, could hit a 747 and bring both of them down.

That would be Britain's fault for existing in francies world:)

You forgot to mention a British jet (basically playing chicken or wargames) could do the same.
    The Russian and British unauthorized entry into Irish airspace had posed a threat, not only to Irish air passengers but to thousands of people flying from Europe to the United States. ''These maneuvers,” he said, “were not sanctioned by the Irish Aviation Authority and had put Irish air traffic controllers in the invidious position of not being able to carry out their duties effectively. This should not be tolerated.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

i've only been in boards for a short while but why all the brit bashing? there seems to be s vocal few who never miss an opportunity to have a go at britain and england. seems a bit weird that's all, start a thread about anything and "they" appear with their anti british rants.

i thought we'd move on.

Because - yet again - decisions made in Britain (England primarily) have likely negative consequences for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

i thought we'd move on.

It probably depends what threads you're reading. After a while you know what areas to avoid. In the more serious threads facts are required so when some users pop on that are light on facts they get told off. Might be considered as bashing, depending on your perspective

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Because - yet again - decisions made in Britain (England primarily) have likely negative consequences for us.

There are imo far more threads critical of aspects of American foreign policy/intervention and culture than there are about the British and in all the years reading and using this site I can not remember once, an American citizen getting a huff on about it being an attack on America in general or all it's people.

That type of huff/indignation is unique to some British and Irish people and signifies for me a rather plaintive insecurity in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

A far more realistic risk going by what has actually happened in the past is an Irish ferries boat being hit and possibly sunk by a British navy sub.

The best thing would be for all foreign military to announce their presence in Irish territory by using a transponder or travelling on the surface, or better still don't enter Irish territory unless you are invited.

Christ. Think bigger.

Yes we were at war with the British for 800 years, but now they are allies. Maybe you missed the news bulletin.

How about this:
    Russian and British fighters are 'playing' over Galway bay. To scare a British fighter back home, a Russian jet missile locks a British jet. With afterburners, the British pilot can be on the ground in Brize Norton in under two minutes. Instead, his wingman missile locks the Russian jet and presses fire. Russian jet goes down.

The Kremlin treats this as an act of war and because Ireland did nothing to stop it, considers Ireland complicit.

Ireland: But we are neutral!
    Kremlin: So is Switzerland but their jets would have dissolved this situation before anything happened. Where were yours?
    Ireland: We dont have any jets, in an emergency we use...the RAF
    Kremlin: So you are complicit.

I could go on, it could get much worse than that. If the worst it can get for you is 2 jets dropping onto Galway then I don't know what to say to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

hahaha

i thought we'd move on.

99.9% of us have moved on. A few have not. Look at the comments section of The Journal web app. They seem to live there and come out from under the bridge occasionally to post on boards.

Welcome btw.

• Advertisement

Christ. Think bigger.

Yes we were at war with the British for 800 years, but now they are allies. Maybe you missed the news bulletin.

How about this:
    Russian and British fighters are 'playing' over Galway bay. To scare a British fighter back home, a Russian jet missile locks a British jet. With afterburners, the British pilot can be on the ground in Brize Norton in under two minutes. Instead, his wingman missile locks the Russian jet and presses fire. Russian jet goes down.

The Kremlin treats this as an act of war and because Ireland did nothing to stop it, considers Ireland complicit.

Ireland: But we are neutral!
    Kremlin: So is Switzerland but their jets would have dissolved this situation before anything happened. Where were yours?
    Ireland: We dont have any jets, in an emergency we use...the RAF
    Kremlin: So you are complicit.

I could go on, it could get much worse than that. If the worst it can get for you is 2 jets dropping onto Galway then I don't know what to say to you.

Sorry to bring you crashing back down to reality denartha. But perhaps you need to calm down a bit.
    Here is what the Irish Aviation Authority said of the 'incident' or 'non incident'
    "At no time did these aircraft enter Irish sovereign airspace. The aircraft were operating in Irish controlled airspace which extends 256 nautical miles off the west coast of Ireland, at no time did the aircraft infringe Irish sovereign airspace which extends to 12 nautical miles off the Irish coast.

"There was no safety impact to civilian traffic operating in Irish controlled airspace."

Advertisement