Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6.20 euro for a chicken fillet roll? The Boom is Bollixed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

You too! I think as consumers, regardless of politics, we all have a common interest in this. People are being gouged and there are no two ways about it.

The chicken fillet roll is just an ordinary example but it applies equally to everything from retail costs, to hotel prices for tourists.

We've been through an awful recession. And although that wasn't retailers' fault, we can limit the depth of the next recession by saying "Enough" now.

As a country that has let the USC stand this long like the mice we are, so there's not a hope we stand up to much else.

Mea Culpa, it was a Spar (I use those terms interchangeably) and it was 5 minutes from Henry Street.

Am I allowed to name it?

Being boards I'd hazard a guess at no. Protection of businesses above all else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The difference in city Centra's and rural Centra's is unreal.

The last two times I spent more than a fiver on food in a Centra was when I got fresh local caught fish, with real chips, a wedge of lemon and a portion of tartar sauce in Centra Drimoleague. It cost 5.50, there was more fish than you'd get in any restaurant and I was told when I ordered it could take a short while as it was cooked to order, I watched the lady cook it and check it a few times before serving it.

Next honorable mention goes to the Centra on Muckross Road Killlarney, the roast of the day there is second to none you'll find in a couple of mile radius and will set you back 6 euro which is what some nearby places charge for a side order, in both places you can sit down and relax at no extra charge. You could probably drive around inside the Centra in Drimoleague without any danger.

I pity ye Dubs with yer 6 euro chicken rolls that my dogs wouldn't eat.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

There are 3 or 4 Spars in the area so narrows it down anyway, thanks
    I didn't really think there was a Centra around which sounds right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Just dry and utterly tasteless :confused:

I agree, there manky but sure in most spar/centra/garage you don't really get good tasting alternatives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Ever order a roll at deli counter, then change your mind?
    Yes, I have done so... did not like the price, or the person at the till wearing the plastic gloves she just made food with.

I put it down behind some shelf - probably was found a few months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,555 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I wouldn't have paid OP.

I would have walked out.

That's robbery.

These places should be named and shamed though probably not allowed here.

Should be an official register somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Tesco. Chicken fillet roll. Drink and crisps or a bar for €4 in dundrum.

Not many options for the roll basically cheese and lettuce +sauce but not bad for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Most likely it was paid and nothing said but that doesn’t make as good a post.

My thoughts exactly. But then the mad yokes on here wouldn't be able to post their favourite hangover cures or regale us with tales of bygone days (4-5 years ago) when these 'chicken fillet rolls were €2'

Or the nutritionists couldn't tell us why we shouldn't eat them.

See.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

I went to the deli counter in supermarket recently and got about four to five tablespoons each of coleslaw and potato salad, when I went to the checkout it came to 8.50, or thereabouts.Thought it was very expensive and said to myself I won’t be doing that again! Rip off Ireland and we are the mugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Tat price was ok, why did you get butter...whats wrong with mayonaise?? Good thing the chicken wasent a chlorine washed one!!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Most likely it was paid and nothing said but that doesn’t make as good a post.
    I write short stories as a hobby. If I'd wanted to embellish this, there'd be stand-offs, chainsaws, and pieces of chicken fillet flying left, right, and centre.

That's not the case here.

And, the fact that I didn't pay is immaterial. My point is that the price was an example of the gouging that many of us are expected to cough-up for, at lunch or elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Years ago, you weren't expected to have a Skype chat to some lad in Connecticut at 7pm GMT, or eat through your lunch break because "this is a startup and we have to behave like a team"

Don't blame employees for this. We're not the ones choosing to work extra hours so we can live 40km outside the city. I've had it up to my guts with that sentimental old sh1te.

Some people were born at the right time, and more luck to them. Just stop gloating.

So you can't bring in a packed lunch because you have to work through your lunch :confused::confused:

KSU wrote: »
    So you can't bring in a packed lunch because you have to work through your lunch :confused::confused:

I can't bring a packed lunch because I'm angrily writing to boards about not having time to bring a packed lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

I can't bring a packed lunch because I'm angrily writing to boards about not having time to bring a packed lunch.

You will never get through to people unless your exclamation point comes with a half rotten apple being flung across the desk for dramatic effect. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

I'd pay and give out to someone later who couldn't do anything about it.

It’s the Irish way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,216 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Tat price was ok, why did you get butter...whats wrong with mayonaise?? Good thing the chicken wasent a chlorine washed one!!
    That type of chicken has been banned for 20+ years in EU.

Watch the flood of it into the UK from the US after brexit...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Back in about 2013 I dropped into a tiny corner shop near my home but next to a secondary school (never went into this shop before) and got a hot chicken roll, lettuce cheese and chicken and went to the till and she said 2.5€

I was thrilled so gave the 2.5 because my other local was about 4 quid and just as I went to leave she said you can also take a bag of tayto and can of whatever drink I wanted

I was baffled, never heard Of anything so cheap,

Bloody shop has closed down since. Poor woman probably didn't know how to price correctly and cover costs

6.2 is insane though,

Normally where I am, it's about 4.5 to 4.90 now for a hot chicken roll and 2 fillings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

lawred2 wrote: »
    I can't find it within myself to feel pity for anyone prepared to eat a chicken fillet roll from one of those rancid deli counters...
    Ah the chopped loyalty card holder:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Anyone remember Maguire's on Suffolk Street in Dublin, beside Grafton Street

Closed about ~4 years ago but used to do €2 chicken fillet rolls, small place so queues were literally out the door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Anyone remember Maguire's on Suffolk Street in Dublin, beside Grafton Street

Closed about ~4 years ago but used to do €2 chicken fillet rolls, small place so queues were literally out the door

No wonder he closed if he was selling chicken rolls for €2......

It’s expensive for a hot chicken roll but you would be paying close to 6 euro for a sandwich in many places.

I’d have a hot chicken roll around twice a week and generally costs between 4 and 4.50 depending on the place. The other places I rotate around for sandwich’s or fancier rolls the other 3 days would 5.50 at least and some 6 euro. I’d get a Subway every week too which is 7 but that includes a drink.

As an aside where did this “chicken fillet” roll naming come from, they are and always have been an “hot chicken” roll to me and anyone I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’d get a Subway every week too which is 7 but that includes a drink.

Stopped going there, on principle, when they started exclusively stocking diet drinks.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Stopped going there, on principle, when they started exclusively stocking diet drinks.

Mustn't be them all. I got a normal Pepsi in the one in the Lusk M1 branch last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Mustn't be them all. I got a normal Pepsi in the one in the Lusk M1 branch last week.

Haven’t gotten it from a services stop in a good while but will look out for it next time I’m in one.

The last time I was in one in town they didn’t have any normal drinks at the dispenser or in the fridge and when I asked I was told they didn’t stock them anymore.

Couldn’t be arsed with the “sugar free” muck.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

They gave up on that after a short time, I was chatting to the lads working there as I know them from going in and they said it wasn’t worth the hassle of them only having diet drink or trying to charge extra for non-diet ones. Subway is a franchise though so it could be something decided by the person running individual ones.

I always get Pepsi max anyway so it never bothered me.

Haven’t gotten it from a services stop in a good while but will look out for it next time I’m in one.

The last time I was in one in town they didn’t have any normal drinks at the dispenser or in the fridge and when I asked I was told they didn’t stock them anymore.

Couldn’t be arsed with the “sugar free” muck.

Could still be a policy actually because those shops in the Applegreens are more Applegreen than standalone I think, so they'd sell what they're told to in those locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Chicken fillets rolls are like strippers. - nobody wants to know the back story.

"Well when I was 15 my mom overdosed and my step dad....

"See yaaaaaa"

• Registered Users Posts: 30,316 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Chicken fillets rolls are like strippers. - nobody wants to know the back story.

"Well when I was 15 my mom overdosed and my step dad....

"See yaaaaaa"

I'd still find things tasty after knowing the back story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Booms not back unless the op threw his change in the bin with the receipt because he doesn’t like carrying coins.

6 odd quid for a lock of beaks and feet minced into a slab and bread crumbs fcuk that

Advertisement