Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youths doing ****ty things but not shooting anyone

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

-__-

Act 1993, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

But there are other ones..

There is also EU law for example.

ALso data protection act of 2018

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2018/act/7/enacted/en/html

Bear in mind there is NOT just ONE law etc.

It can be VERY complex.

Which section of which law prevents you recording someone, a child in this case, in a public place?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

By the way its not just kids ..videoing ANYONE in this country without permission adult or child is illegal.

Its VERY nuanced.

It's gone from illegal to 'VERY nuanced' in the space of 10 minutes.

Whatever about the law, it's clear that the kids in the video were giving him dogs abuse. Maybe he should have walked away, but I couldn't fault him for videoing the incident, especially after them alleging he is a paedophile in public. There could be all sorts of ramifications from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

MrFresh wrote: »
    Which section of which law prevents you recording someone, a child in this case, in a public place?

Chapter part 3 chapter 1 ;) scroll down. Hint its right at the top!

If you need any more help i am going to start charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

El_Bee wrote: »
    Well no because racist or not, dragged up pieces of human trash like these are the norm now.

The Norm? Would ya give over, talk about hyperbole 🙄

I'm just not seeing anything in there that prevents videoing of a minor. Can you be more specific?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

jay1988 wrote: »
    The Norm? Would ya give over, talk about hyperbole ��

You're living in a bubble, visit any estate outside the leafy safe zones.

Not there. I think I'll have to start charging you tuition to learn how to quote a specific law.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

El_Bee wrote: »
    You're living in a bubble, visit any estate outside the leafy safe zones.

I've lived in Coolock my whole life, you're still talking ****e, this is the not the norm anywhere.

Phoebas wrote: »
    I'm just not seeing anything in there that prevents videoing of a minor. Can you be more specific?

That is because Data protection is not just for minors.

Not there. I think I'll have to start charging you tuition to learn how to quote a specific law.

THE WHOLE ACT???

• Advertisement

That is because Data protection is not just for minors.

Ok. Ok. You got me.
    I know when I'm being trolled.

Regulation 10 of the Child Care Act 1991and Regulations 2016
    That would and could be applied to an individual recording your child.

I think you guys aren't seeing it because of the language.

I think you should ask that online service for a refund for your degree.

I think you should ask that online service for a refund for your degree.
    kings Inn ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Zatccha

You'd want to get refund on that law degree, mate. Anyone is perfectly entitled to take a video/photograph in a public space.

GDPR/Data Protection only "applies to the processing of personal data wholly or partly by automated means and to the processing other than by automated means of personal data which form part of a filing system or are intended to form part of a filing system." - as per Article 2(2)(c) / Recital 18 GDPR. In this case, it would fall under the personal exemption.

The Data Protection Commission have a pretty good outline of the topic at www. dataprotection.ie/en/guidance-landing/video-recording.

Zatccha wrote: »
    You'd want to get refund on that law degree, mate. Anyone is perfectly entitled to take a video/photograph in a public space.

GDPR/Data Protection only "applies to the processing of personal data wholly or partly by automated means and to the processing other than by automated means of personal data which form part of a filing system or are intended to form part of a filing system." - as per Article 2(2)(c) / Recital 18 GDPR. In this case, it would fall under the personal exemption.

The Data Protection Commission have a pretty good outline of the topic at www. dataprotection.ie/en/guidance-landing/video-recording.

But it was published on a website. Online etc. FB is removing it probably because THAT IS A FILING SYSTEM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Zatccha

Wrong. Videoing them WAS illegal.

Data protection laws.

And you could argue they are only 12. Kids do stupid stuff.
    By the way its not just kids ..videoing ANYONE in this country without permission adult or child is illegal.

Same with audio recordings for example what happened with Omarosa could not legally happen here. If someone is recorded with a hot mike etc again can't happen here.

And with children you need their parents permission or a guardian.

I thought your argument was that videoing them was illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

One of the biggest problems here is that there is only Oberstown to put violent children into and it is full to the brim since St. Patrick’s closed.

My arguement could be anything in a court of law.

It could be. Partic if its considered he was harassing them.

there would be snippets of hundreds of areas that could apply to any published image - as others have mentioned above, data protection, privacy, etc etc etc.

• Advertisement

This is not a personal activity. He could be considered a data controller.

Although its a mexican site so....dunno

If it were that simple places like RTE would not need to get consent.

And certainly the other two lads who did nothing wrong should not have their faces plastered.

Ask in legal discussion. Might be interesting.

kings Inn ;)

I don't think anyone is buying what you are selling.

One of the biggest problems here is that there is only Oberstown to put violent children into and it is full to the brim since St. Patrick’s closed.

And they are housed alongside non violent youths. Oberstown is not a bad facility in itself but it's been used incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If it were that simple places like RTE would not need to get consent.

RTE have an extremely conservative and powerful legal department. They go way above and beyond what is legally necessary regarding consent.

The personal exemption in Data protection applies to only personal/household activities and usage. Personal activities i don't think covers putting it online.

(7) ‘controller’ means the natural or legal person, public authority, agency or other body which, alone or jointly with others, determines the purposes and means of the processing of personal data.

processor’ means a natural or legal person, public authority, agency or other body which processes personal data on behalf of the controller.

Automated data is just ..like on a phone or a computer.

RTE have an extremely conservative and powerful legal department. They go way above and beyond what is legally necessary regarding consent.

True and fair point. But that is the advise they would give you.

I think you guys are getting mixed up with the language.

A data controller or a data processor can be a person.

I mean there is a point that there are two boys in the video who did NOTHING wrong. And their faces are shown.

Its actually the ONE OFF aspect of this imo that makes it clear he isnt a data controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

As far as I'm aware, you are free to take pictures in a public place. Our lawyer doesnt seem to have disproven this yet. Though someone did post a link about recording minors, which is something.

Either way, I wouldn't reccommend doing what this idiot is doing though, he's asking for trouble.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement