Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICC World Cup 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Seeing as how Irl is a now a full member of ICC, can we poach English born & bred players with Irish connections now, does anyone know? Lads who wouldn't be considered good enough for Eng but who might give us more depth. Mightn't be good for the game here of course, in terms of developing home talent but still, what's sauce for the goose etc?
    Why not? I'm assuming there's nothing in the rule book to stop you doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Loved Williamson's comment on the streaky "six" that Ben scored when the throw back to the stumps hit his bat and went to the boundary; " yeah, bit of a shame that". No bitterness on his part. Comes across as a cracking bloke, actually.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

As have England done for decades in Cricket. The list is a long one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

You're right!

No way.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Seeing as how Irl is a now a full member of ICC, can we poach English born & bred players with Irish connections now, does anyone know? Lads who wouldn't be considered good enough for Eng but who might give us more depth. Mightn't be good for the game here of course, in terms of developing home talent but still, what's sauce for the goose etc?

Plenty of foreign lads have played for Ireland, some of our best still are. The difference is though that they are like you said lads who wouldn't get a shot at international cricket otherwise. They're not hurting their own country by playing for other teams, unlike Morgan who should have been sent back after failing at tests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

As have England done for decades in Cricket. The list is a long one.

If people of differing nationalities have put down roots and made themselves at home here or in England or anywhere for that matter then of course they should be allowed to play for whomever they choose.
    Ireland will soon have native born Sth Asians, Aussies and Sth Africans as well as English eligible to play for Ireland and very welcome they’ll be too.
    A big well done and congrats to Eoin Morgan and I assume Liam Plunkett today on their fantastic achievement in winning the CWC with England.
    Thrilling evening on the Telly between Lords and SW19!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

And he had little to do with it, 9 from 22 is a failure by any standard, his captaincy ain't that special

Do you not know that he devised a new style of play for England and this was the culmination of four years of work.

But petty nationalists would hate to understand that.

Buer wrote: »
    No way.

Well there was a few years from when it was announced that Ireland weren't going to be allowed, I'm sure you remember

Darc19 wrote: »
    Do you not know that he devised a new style of play for England and this was the culmination of four years of work.

But petty nationalists would hate to understand that.

Why did you ignore my post where I said he shouldnt get anti-english abuse? We're talking about a tournament played between national countries so of course there's got to be some nationalism :rolleyes: Not every one is an Eoin Morgan

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well there was a few years from when it was announced that Ireland weren't going to be allowed, I'm sure you remember

We played in the last one. But then you knew that and were just trying to have a moan.

• Advertisement

And the well publicised tournament last year for qualification where we competed was completely whitewashed?

Or you just don't have a clue and didn't know that a significant international tournament took place....

We played in the last one. But then you knew that and were just trying to have a moan.

The plans to reduce the size of the tournament go back to 2011, the announcement of allowing non test teams to qualify was at the end of 2017. I know that

And the well publicised tournament last year for qualification where we competed was completely whitewashed?

Or you just don't have a clue and didn't know that a significant international tournament took place....

I've been following Ireland long enough to forget

I've been following Ireland long enough to forget

You forgot about an international CWC competition took place involving our national side 12 months ago yet you feel well placed to wax lyrical about representing our national side and criticising someone who did for years?

You've embarrassed yourself repeatedly. You don't have a clue.

Anyway like I said I'm happy to drop it and get back to the actual match itself. There used to be a specific thread for this conversation but it was locked a few months ago, probably should have kept it open,

Anyway like I said I'm happy to drop it and get back to the actual match itself. ,

I would be too if I were you after your bluffing.

You forgot about an international CWC competition took place involving our national side 12 months ago yet you feel well placed to wax lyrical about representing our national side and criticising someone who did for years?

You've embarrassed yourself repeatedly. You don't have a clue.

You know how many tournaments and games we've played since then? Of course you do because you've been here following them. Oh wait, 20 posts I see. Here don't let the door hit you on the way out and see you next world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

Skid X wrote: »
    A few upset Kiwi tweets listed on this page of the New Zealand Herald, although in fairness anyone who stayed up all night to lose so narrowly is entitled to let off some steam

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12249505

Epic game, pleased to see England win but New Zealand would also have been worthy winners.

Wow, your link led to me to another article with something I never realised i.e. Ben Stokes is a Kiwi himself. Though he was moulded by the English cricket system all the way from 12.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12249519

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mattser

Congratulations England and Eoin Morgan. Unbelieveable dramatic finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

Delighted for Eoin Morgan, it has been widely acknowledged that he was instrumental in bringing a team from 7/8th in the world to becoming World Champions. Would love to see him back playing for Ireland as he winds down his career. Will go down in history as one of the greatest captains. I am sure that he would have loved to win the WC with Ireland but it was never a possibility that he could achieve that with Ireland

• Advertisement

You know how many tournaments and games we've played since then? Of course you do because you've been here following them. Oh wait, 20 posts I see. Here don't let the door hit you on the way out and see you next world cup

Bless. Look at you searching post history to try and gain the higher ground.

You've already made your prejudice and inability to recognise facts clear. If you're reverting to post count to try and dismiss someone's argument, you've lost the argument even harder than you thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

*bookmarks thread for when Eoin gets an inevitable knighthood

blackcard wrote: »
    Delighted for Eoin Morgan, it has been widely acknowledged that he was instrumental in bringing a team from 7/8th in the world to becoming World Champions. Would love to see him back playing for Ireland as he winds down his career. Will go down in history as one of the greatest captains. I am sure that he would have loved to win the WC with Ireland but it was never a possibility that he could achieve that with Ireland

Nah, he'll never return. He's said so himself in the past. After today, there's a gravy train for him forever more. Not that he needs it on his salary!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Nah, he'll never return. He's said so himself in the past. After today, there's a gravy train for him forever more. Not that he needs it on his salary!

Excuse my ignorance on the topic but how easy is it to switch countries

It's clearly not like football where once you play competively you can't change.

Can you just pick whatever country you want in cricket?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Nice clip on the RTE News of the crowd in Rush Cricket Club cheering on their former clubmate

https://twitter.com/RTEsport/status/1150501207196098561

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

blackcard wrote: »

Fair enough but I wouldn't begrudge him being a World Cup winning captain or playing at the highest level. If he remained with Ireland, he would be playing against Scotland, Afghanistan and Zimbabwe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

hawley wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happens with the betting on this game? I backed England this morning, but as there was no draw option to bet on, I'm unsure whether I won the bet or if it counts as a draw.

I'd be 100% sure that you win that bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

lassykk wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance on the topic but how easy is it to switch countries

It's clearly not like football where once you play competively you can't change.

Can you just pick whatever country you want in cricket?

As I recall, Eoin went to play for England when we were just an Associate Member (second tier). Ed Joyce went before him too but later came back to Irish team. I could be wrong but essentially the Full Member nations had/ have the option of drawing players from the Associates. Which is/was one way of keeping the Associates in their places! You poach their best players. It'd be a bit like Kilkenny say taking a sh*t hot young hurler from Carlow. But Irl is now a full member.

votecounts wrote: »
    I'd be 100% sure that you win that bet.

Yep, it might vary company to company but usually it's based on who won/progresses, as long as an actual game took place

• Advertisement

I wonder will they take another look at the super over rules before the next World Cup after this? It's a bit odd that there can't be another super over, or something a bit more direct.

Advertisement