Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICC World Cup 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Now that was proper drama.

Couldn't write that finish.

Cricket in this format is a great spectacle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

BBDBB wrote: »
    I think the more significant moment was the stokes shot that was caught and then the lad stepped on the boundary rope, without stokes in play I don’t think England would have made it to tie

so many possible chances that could've changed it - running Stokes out instead of Rashid so Wood takes the last ball even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Great days sport. Feel sorry for de Kiwis with them four over-throws in last over before "super over", tough.

Tennis just added to excitement. What a day for sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

BBDBB wrote: »
    I think the more significant moment was the stokes shot that was caught and then the lad stepped on the boundary rope, without stokes in play I don’t think England would have made it to tie

Right ! That was HUGE, you are talking a centimeter in the difference between maybe winning and not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

A few upset Kiwi tweets listed on this page of the New Zealand Herald, although in fairness anyone who stayed up all night to lose so narrowly is entitled to let off some steam

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12249505

Epic game, pleased to see England win but New Zealand would also have been worthy winners.

• Advertisement

was watching the tennis so missed the ending to the normal overs

that sequence where the throw back to the wicket and then off the bat of the running Stokes and went out for 4 is just remarkable - you could not make it up

https://youtu.be/Kwu1yIC-ssg?t=326

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

People need to get over this stuff with the English. FFS.

Meh, his mother is English is she not?

Either way, he was never going to win a WC with Ireland. Nothing wrong with having ambition and embracing the chances you get.

Morgan deserves every bit of criticism he gets, although not anti english of course, it should be the same regardless of what country he left us for. The man had no business playing ODIs for England after his test career failed, while we also were playing ODI.

On the morning of a WC game against England back in 2007 he said he'd rather be in their dressing room than his own, I'm glad to see he failed today

Anyway, excting ending but for a neutral that is a very deflating way to see it decided, shame it came down to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Anyway, excting ending but for a neutral that is a very deflating way to see it decided, shame it came down to that.

Yeah, funny logic at the end. First you'd think in the event of a tie they'd go by wickets, which would have given NZ a 2 wicket win. But then in the super over, to decide that again in event of a tie, the first to bat would win. Going by that logic, NZ should have won the match tie as well!!

Still the NZ death bowling was poor compared to the English, so only themselves to blame in a way. Why did they pick Boult to bowl the super over when he'd just gone for 15 in the last? And you'd think Eng might have gone for Woakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Morgan deserves every bit of criticism he gets, although not anti english of course, it should be the same regardless of what country he left us for. The man had no business playing ODIs for England after his test career failed, while we also were playing ODI.

On the morning of a WC game against England back in 2007 he said he'd rather be in their dressing room than his own, I'm glad to see he failed today

did he not just captain a world cup winning team?

Is that failure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

glasso wrote: »
    was watching the tennis so missed the ending to the normal overs

that sequence where the throw back to the wicket and then off the bat of the running Stokes and went out for 4 is just remarkable - you could not make it up

https://youtu.be/Kwu1yIC-ssg?t=326

I’m watching that again with an even sharper intake of breath, if Stokes had tried to hit that ball he probably couldn’t have. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Yeah, funny logic at the end. First you'd think in the event of a tie they'd go by wickets, which would have given NZ a 2 wicket win. But then in the super over, to decide that again in event of a tie, the first to bat would win. Going by that logic, NZ should have won the match tie as well!!

Still the NZ death bowling was poor compared to the English, so only themselves to blame in a way. Why did they pick Boult to bowl the super over when he'd just gone for 15 in the last? And you'd think Eng might have gone for Woakes?
    Eh? What are you on about?

NIMAN wrote: »
    did he not just captain as world cup winning team?

Is that failure?

And he had little to do with it, 9 from 22 is a failure by any standard, his captaincy ain't that special

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

NIMAN wrote: »
    did he not just captain as world cup winning team?

Is that failure?

Wish I could fail like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm glad to see he failed today

Eh....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

BarryD2 wrote: »
    But then in the super over, to decide that again in event of a tie, the first to bat would win.

That was not how it was decided. The team with the most boundaries scored would win in the event of a tie.
    Great drama in the end.I though England had blown it. Well done to them and Eoin Morgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

And he had little to do with it, 9 from 22 is a failure by any standard, his captaincy ain't that special

Bull.

He is the first and only England Captain to win the Cricket World Cup.

They were a shambles before he took over.

Anyone with an ounce of objectivity can tell that his Captaincy has been a huge success.

He was the one out talking to Jofra Archer during the super over. Im sure hes done plenty .

But then, maybe youre right and hes a brutal captain that they just chose him as he put his hand up first or something. You clearly know better than the world champions.

Skid X wrote: »
    Bull.

He is the first and only England Captain to win the Cricket World Cup.

They were a shambles before he took over.

Anyone with an ounce of objectivity can tell that his Captaincy has been a huge success.

That was as much to do with selection and board policy. On the field he's nothing special. Not a bad one either, but his captaincy isn't the equivalent of an extra batter/bowler and he was rubbish with the bat today

Some of the bitterness on here. And from a mod as well. Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

What a thriller. Scores were levelled even in super over but England won due to good run rate. Ben Stokes made the day and played incredible manner. NZ also played outstanding. What a game of cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

His captaincy was brilliant today. His response to the batting to bring in Plunkett and mix things up whch completely disrupted NZ was key. Also, watch the super over again. Archer was in the midst of a meltdown. Morgan was over to him, talking him through it. Archer was shaking his head, clearly dejected and was on the cusp of completely choking. Morgan speaks to him and in the final 4 balls, England only give up 6 runs.

His fielding performance was also world class. The fact that NZ didn't make as many boundaries is down to the brilliant fielding and positioning of the England team...and guess who adjusts the fielding positions during the match?

Well done, Eoin Morgan. CWC winning captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

He was the one out talking to Jofra Archer during the super over. Im sure hes done plenty .

But then, maybe youre right and hes a brutal captain that they just chose him as he put his hand up first or something. You clearly know better than the world champions.

They won anyway, all the people trying to crab England can't change that fact, I thought New Zealand were unlucky, but why were they blocking late on? Could have made an extra 5-6 runs, would have been the difference. That deflection off the bat that went to the fence was unreal luck.

blueser wrote: »
    Some of the bitterness on here. And from a mod as well. Wow.

I'm not a mod here. Just an ordinary poster and entitled to point out how Morgan **** on the Irish team and cricket and doesn't deserve any special congratulations just because he was born here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

That was not how it was decided. The team with the most boundaries scored would win in the event of a tie. Great drama in the end.I though England had blown it. Well done to them and Eoin Morgan.

Nasser Hussain said nz needed to beat England's super over total or they lost?

Buer wrote: »
    His captaincy was brilliant today. His response to the batting to bring in Plunkett and mix things up whch completely disrupted NZ was key. Also, watch the super over again. Archer was in the midst of a meltdown. Morgan was over to him, talking him through it. Archer was shaking his head, clearly dejected and was on the cusp of completely choking. Morgan speaks to him and in the final 4 balls, England only give up 6 runs.

His fielding performance was also world class. The fact that NZ didn't make as many boundaries is down to the brilliant fielding and positioning of the England team...and guess who adjusts the fielding positions during the match?

Well done, Eoin Morgan. CWC winning captain.

Wow talking to a bowler and changing the field, no captain ever did that before

I'm not a mod here. Just an ordinary poster and entitled to point out how Morgan **** on the Irish team and cricket and doesn't deserve any special congratulations just because he was born here
    If you can show me where I said you were a mod on this forum, please do.

Hes being congratulated on being the WC winning captain.

blueser wrote: »
    If you can show me where I said you were a mod on this forum, please do.

So why bother pointing it out at all :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Wow talking to a bowler and changing the field, no captain ever did that before
    They all do it. Some better than others and end up winning tournaments................

Advertisement