Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICC World Cup 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Nasser Hussain said nz needed to beat England's super over total or they lost?
    No. Lifted off Cricinfo...

40Ah0wS.png

So why bother pointing it out at all :rolleyes:
    Why not? As a mod, I'd expect better standards from you. You come across as a very bitter individual. I'm sorry for your pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

blueser wrote: »
    Eh? What are you on about?
    That was not how it was decided. The team with the most boundaries scored would win in the event of a tie.

Oops, missed that detail, sound was down. I had thought the chasing team would be disadvantaged in event of a super over tie, as they have prior knowledge of what's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Wow talking to a bowler and changing the field, no captain ever did that before

Captains do it all the time. To do it successfully to the extent that it's a key moment in CWC final is a different kettle of fish. It takes an excellent captain to keep a cool head and choke off the NZ batting performance and equally so to calm Archer and get him to deliver what was required.

It's sad that some of Morgan's fellow countrymen are so bitter and resentful of his success and performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

No. Lifted off Cricinfo...

40Ah0wS.png

England were already more than 6 boundaries ahead at that point, so I think it was pretty much 100% if the Super Over was tied NZ would lose.

• Advertisement

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Oops, missed that detail, sound was down. I had thought the chasing team would be disadvantaged in event of a super over tie, as they have prior knowledge of what's needed.
    It's all in the rules. The team that bats second in the "normal" innings bats first in the super over. No coin toss. And the boundary count (in the whole match) is the deciding factor in the event of the super over being tied. You could see Morgan chatting to one of the umpires before England bowled (with Archer by his side), clarifying what the position was.

Well if you're going to query Eoin Morgan, you might as well also throw in Jofra Archer - Barbados born & bred. But overseas players have been part of the English cricket scene for a good few years. Somehow or other I couldn't imagine a David Warner or Liam Plunkett playing for India..

One of the key matches of this tournament though was Eng v India in the qualifiers. Eng were heading towards the exit door and I still think they were extremely 'fortunate' to not end of 10 points and fail to qualify for the semis. I hate to keep banging the same drum and won't anymore as it's all done & dusted now. But IMHO and that of many others, Ind for whatever reason didn't try very hard to win that match, either bowling or batting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Why not? As a mod, I'd expect better standards from you. You come across as a very bitter individual. I'm sorry for your pain.

Yawn, if you think a man who said he'd rather be in the other team's dressing room before a game and left the moment he could doesn't deserve criticism, then that's up to you. If you don't follow Irish cricket maybe you won't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭hawley

Does anyone know what happens with the betting on this game? I backed England this morning, but as there was no draw option to bet on, I'm unsure whether I won the bet or if it counts as a draw.

Whilst it was obviously harsh on NZ to lose that after that utterly freakish 6 in the final over, I can't help but think England were the better side and deserved winners.

They were the first team to win after going in to bat second at Lords this tournament. The pitch does not help batters as the crease wears down over the day. The toss is a significant boost on a pitch like that. For England to belt the hell out of NZ in the closing 10 balls was a massive showing. Alternatively, NZ completely withdrew into themselves in the closing overs. The fact that they ducked the final ball was ridiculous. It's the CWC final, you need to swing at anything that moves in the final over when you've got a wicket to use.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Captains do it all the time. To do it successfully to the extent that it's a key moment in CWC final is a different kettle of fish. It takes an excellent captain to keep a cool head and choke off the NZ batting performance and equally so to calm Archer and get him to deliver what was required.

It's sad that some of Morgan's fellow countrymen are so bitter and resentful of his success and performance.

Fellow countrymen, psml

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well if you're going to query Eoin Morgan, you might as well also throw in Jofra Archer - Barbados born & bred. But overseas players have been part of the English cricket scene for a good few years. Somehow or other I couldn't imagine a David Warner or Liam Plunkett playing for India..

Archers fathers is English though. He's not some random foreign lad they reckoned was a good player and sent him a plane ticket to head over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

One more point which I had forgotten about, Roy faces Boult, is absolutely plum lbw, the big South African looks and shakes his head. Review, legal ball, pitching in line, hitting the leg stump fairly solidly, and the third umpire says wickets are umpires call. You may stay with your original decision. Is that not exactly the same as saying, you made a wrong call, but stick with it? It was 100% out, looked out in real time, just like the ones that look not out, 2 yards down the pitch and clipping the leg stump should be not out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

So, we’ve just witnessed a spectacular sporting final, on a knife edge for most of the day, with twists and turns throughout, both sides could have won down to the last ball and the conversation is about the choice of a player who reportedly made his decision to play for England, aged 13.

Yawn, if you think a man who said he'd rather be in the other team's dressing room before a game and left the moment he could doesn't deserve criticism, then that's up to you. If you don't follow Irish cricket maybe you won't get it
    If you're getting tired, perhaps you should be getting off to bed. Unless you were being deliberately facetious. You weren't, were you?

Hes been playing for England for what, 12 years now. Time to move on.

Fellow countrymen, psml

Where are you from? Because Eoin Morgan is born and bred Irish, from Rush, went to school in Dublin and played for Ireland for years.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Morgan left Ireland on the premise that they weren't a test cricket team and his only way to play test was with England. Facts are he wasn't good enough as a test cricket player so they gave him the poison chassis at the time of 1 day captain. Granted he has won the World Cup but his selfish mercenary behavior will never be forgotten as far as i am concerned.

One more point which I had forgotten about, Roy faces Boult, is absolutely plum lbw, the big South African looks and shakes his head. Review, legal ball, pitching in line, hitting the leg stump fairly solidly, and the third umpire says wickets are umpires call. You may stay with your original decision. Is that not exactly the same as saying, you made a wrong call, but stick with it? It was 100% out, looked out in real time, just like the ones that look not out, 2 yards down the pitch and clipping the leg stump should be not out.

They addressed it in commentary. If his original decision was out, they'd have stuck with that. Thems the rules.

I don't agree with the "umpire's call" thing either. Apparently, the rule is that if 50% or less of the ball is clipping the stumps, then"umpire's call" comes into play (hopefully, someone can confirm or deny that). Something to do with the benefit of the doubt going to the batsman, maybe? As I said, I don't agree with it. If hawkeye shows the ball is going on to hit the stumps, then(for me) you're out.

• Advertisement

Hes been playing for England for what, 12 years now. Time to move on.

If you don't like it, don't reply anymore. We can move back to the discussion of the game itself no problem, but seeing as how Ireland weren't even allowed to play this tournament and yet a former player was the winning captain there's no easy looking past it, on an Irish cricket forum.

Morgan left Ireland on the premise that they weren't a test cricket team and his only way to play test was with England. Facts are he wasn't good enough as a test cricket player so they gave him the poison chassis at the time of 1 day captain. Granted he has won the World Cup but his selfish mercenary behavior will never be forgotten as far as i am concerned.

My first concern is how will he sleep at night?

Where are you from? Because Eoin Morgan is born and bred Irish, from Rush, went to school in Dublin and played for Ireland for years.

He's a selfish mercenary who abandoned his country when they needed him the most, certainly no countryman of mine. He's probably lived in England for as long as Ireland now by this stage anyway.

If you don't like it, don't reply anymore. We can move back to the discussion of the game itself no problem, but seeing as how Ireland weren't even allowed to play this tournament and yet a former player was the winning captain there's no easy looking past it, on an Irish cricket forum.

Ireland didn't qualify. They were completely allowed. West Indies and Afghanistan qualified in our place.

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bleugh. The worst guff. He is a winner.

He's a selfish mercenary who abandoned his country when they needed him the most, certainly no countryman of mine. He's probably lived in England for as long as Ireland now by this stage anyway.

Nope. Not even close.

God love you. He's my fellow countryman and represented on our national broadcaster as the same, thankfully.

Eoin Morgan, CWC winning captain, a very elite group. Well done to him.

Seeing as how Irl is a now a full member of ICC, can we poach English born & bred players with Irish connections now, does anyone know? Lads who wouldn't be considered good enough for Eng but who might give us more depth. Mightn't be good for the game here of course, in terms of developing home talent but still, what's sauce for the goose etc?

Seeing as how Irl is a now a full member of ICC, can we poach English born & bred players with Irish connections now, does anyone know? Lads who wouldn't be considered good enough for Eng but who might give us more depth. Mightn't be good for the game here of course, in terms of developing home talent but still, what's sauce for the goose etc?

Course we can, as we have done in other sports.

Ireland didn't qualify. They were completely allowed. West Indies and Afghanistan qualified in our place.

Well done.

You're right!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Course we can, as we have done in other sports.

As have England done for decades in Cricket. The list is a long one.

Advertisement