Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »
    After one of our wettest Marches on record in Sligo with 190mm earlier this year August could also be near record breaking. Rain gauge at 160mm now for the month. Could be near 200mm by month end if Fridays wave depression transpires.

More fully wet days in August than all of 2019 before it.
    What is the wettest August on record in the Northwest?

1985? 1986? 1998? 2007? 2012?....none of these?

Station|Rainfall total (mm)|Year
    Ballyshannon (Cathleen's Fall)|202.4|Aug 1985
    Belmullet|235.3|Aug 1992
    Claremorris|258.6|Aug 1985
    Finner Camp|163.7|Aug 2017
    Knock Airport|182.6|Aug 2009
    Malin Head|180.8|Aug 1985
    Markree Castle|230.9|Aug 1985
    Newport|259.8|Aug 1985

Data from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ok it looks like 1985 was the year

I was 11 and spent most of that August staring out the window. Low after low.

The other years might be caught.

200mm is attainable . Well see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rain all day in Leitrim. Just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Shocking day in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

It’s been raining since 3am here in NE Galway and still at it. 25mm in the rain gauge over 200mm this month already. Desperate altogether, I’ve lost count of the number of full wet days this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The same in Castlebar, we have had around 4 dry hours today and close to 25mm of rain as well since midnight and still falling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today was mostly cloudy but a few nice breaks in sunshine earlier and temperature reached 21C in the early afternoon. Still dry here, the rain from the west looks like its decaying as it pushes into Leinster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It’s been dull and dismal here all day. Thankfully no rain of note. Feel sorry for the people further west sounds horrendous. August has been predictably disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

There was no rain today here in Glasnevin apart from about a minute of a few drops this evening. It got fairly cloudy this evening but earlier in the day there was a fair bit of sunshine. The high today was 22.9C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Quite wet now in Arklow
    Gone dark with it

Lasted half an hour
    Just 0.4mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

You'd think August would have the best warmest weather with the heat building up all summer...no this is ireland sure...no wonder they used to call this island "Hibernia" (the land of winter):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Forecast looks pretty bleak upto Friday for the north west. The south east could escape it all going by the forecast after the news.
    Dark tonight at 8.30, sky down on top of you.

There was a slot on the news. It looked like Bray or somewhere, glorious weather there.

Hopefully we will get a couple of decent weeks before the end of September. It tends to be one of our better months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Average day in Cork City. Was raining this morning, stopped around 3pm and restarted around 6pm with heavy drizzle. Dark around half 8 here too depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Cracker of a day in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Quite strange Summer in Northwest, in Sligo anyways. Ive gone to the beach 10 times so 9 of those days were warm and sunny. Even August has had 4 or 5 warm if not sunny all the time days. 2 at the start and 1 or 2 the past week. The rest of August rain. Also some very windy days this Summer and also some very cold days at the start though Sligo town escaped a lot of rain back then while Collooney got downpours.

Overall the past 10 years show

May and June will be the sunniest, July 19th to 25th the warmest and August WET

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

It’s been dull and dismal here all day. Thankfully no rain of note. Feel sorry for the people further west sounds horrendous. August has been predictably disappointing.

An understatement, I'd place this summer right up there with the washouts in the mid 2000's at this stage

Near torrential here for the past hour, hasn't stopped at all since yesterday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Yesterday was a cracker in Dundalk. Plenty of sun.

Today was a notch down, but still very pleasant. Very warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Not it wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Not it wasn't

Up till just after lunchtime it was reasonably sunny. Clouded over then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

That is counting days where less than 1mm falls which is pointless. If you applied that against most cities they would show the same. A wet day is more than a few mms. Sure it could drizzle for 10 minutes and have sun for 10 hours and that would count as a wet day!

0.2mm to 0.9mm is a rain day. 1.0mm and upwards is a wet day. That is what gets counted by Met Eireann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

cold today; think hibernation is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There is a grass frost

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Cloudy and misty and breezy this morning. It's 12.2C. The ground is damp but there was no rain recorded overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Still spitting rain in Letterkenny this morning, looking at satellite there's hopefully a clearance soon so might squeeze one more decent day out of the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Woke to lovely sunshine in south Dublin, wasnt expecting it and so its a bonus .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭compsys

It rained last Friday, Thursday, Wednesday and Tuesday in Dublin, and every single day in the week before that...

Looking at the stats on met.ie linked earlier, the east coast has around 180-190 wet days a year, the west around 200-230 so not that different really. I suspect the main difference is those of us in the west get to enjoy a lot more days like today where there's constant drizzle and mist all day

That’s up to 50 extra wet days a year. I wouldn’t call that insignificant.

Also it’s been dry since Thursday evening where I am by the coast and in the city whilst the rest of the country seems to have gotten some rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Graces7 wrote: »
    There is a grass frost

west mayo offshore

Really Grace?

I didn't think temperatures were to drop below 10C last night:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

compsys wrote: »
    That’s up to 50 extra wet days a year. I wouldn’t call that insignificant.

Also it’s been dry since Thursday evening where I am by the coast and in the city whilst the rest of the country seems to have gotten some rain.

I agree it’s at least last Thursday when we last had rain where I am in Dublin (it can all depend where you are in Dublin). I think 0.2mm constituting a rain day is utter nonsense, that could literally fall in less than 5 mins in a light shower and you could have 12 hours of sunshine outside of that. I know that’s what met Éireann count it as but that’s very misleading as a ‘rain day’.

I am amazed that no rain fell yesterday hearing the reports of torrential rain in so many locations. It just shows how localized weather can be. It’s the same when we have snow events where you could have next to no snow in one part of Dublin and 10-20km away there could be 2-3 inches of snow. Storm Emma was a classic example with places like Kildare impassable and some neighboring counties getting a fraction of that. I have even seen a 3-4 degree difference when driving from my house to west Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nice bright sunny morning here. Bit of a breeze there taking the edge of the temperature allright but pleasant nonetheless after yesterday’s gloom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Cool and showery in Castlebar this morning with some sunny spells in between.

Advertisement