Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IX (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

One of the key people he mentioned, along with the PM and someone with responsibility for No Deal preparations was an unelected special adviser... And they go on and on about unelected bureaucrats in the EU.

Do you expect them to act with honesty and integrity?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Do you expect them to act with honesty and integrity?

It's just that many examplea that undermine their arguments are nearly cringe worthy in how obvious they are.

I wonder do they, in the privacy of their own homes, lament about what they have done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I wouldn’t even blink if boris were to go full Winston cosplay now and invade Ireland. Make the paddies pay for this outrage. Just as his hero did.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Advertisement

Nothing new there really though.

Probably not realistically no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Probably not realistically no.

If he really was interested in stopping no-deal and a new general election he would stand aside. He knows there are Tories that will not back him personally, but if he put forth someone else who is respected on both sides to do this same job it would work. Interesting that Labour didn't do this.

Either they are not interested to make this work, or they are so insecure that they don't want to see this succeed without the leader at the head of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Enzokk wrote: »
    I haven't listened to the interview yet but for those that are looking for it, it can be find at the link below.

https://www.globalplayer.com/catchup/lbc/london

Just pick the Ian Dale show and forward to the interview. Seems to be 12 minutes in, just use the 30 second fast forward button to get there.

He should have said, (when Iain dale said “ no deal it is so”) that is entirely up to parliament.
    I’d rather see IRL/ EU appear nonchalant to the ongoings at westminster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Poll out today says that the UK would vote 55% remain. Is it just me that finds that incredible. The pond tanking, Trump ready to hoover up the best bits of the NHS, the clear lie and lie that people were fed, the risk of peace in NI, the guaranteed break up of the Union, and still 45% think brexit is a good idea. Just flabbergasting. Brexit has become a cult that must be defended to the death for some people. I know it sounds insulting, but it doesn't speak very well of the intellect of the average voter in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Yeah so he can push through his 'jobs first brexit'. Bloody lunacy. If brexit happens, it will have happened because of the dreadful leadership of Corbyn. He had an open goal numerous times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Poll out today says that the UK would vote 55% remain. Is it just me that finds that incredible. The pond tanking, Trump ready to hoover up the best bits of the NHS, the clear lie and lie that people were fed, the risk of peace in NI, the guaranteed break up of the Union, and still 45% think brexit is a good idea. Just flabbergasting. Brexit has become a cult that must be defended to the death for some people. I know it sounds insulting, but it doesn't speak very well of the intellect of the average voter in the UK
    They don't necessarily think Brexit is a good idea. Presumably some of them think that, while others think that at some point you have to commit to a decision and stick with it; otherwise nothing ever gets decided. Government is paralysed if every decision is constantly liable to reversal. And, for them, the point where you should commit is when you've decided something by referendum. Still others might think that, regardless of whether Brexit is a wise policy, it would be detrimental to democracy to try to reverse a referendum outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

20silkcut wrote: »
    He should have said, (when Iain dale said “ no deal it is so”) that is entirely up to parliament.
    I’d rather see IRL/ EU appear nonchalant to the ongoings at westminster.

Iain Dale should be told his NHS coverage is at risk due to no-deal Brexit and maybe some of the smug would be wiped away. The arrogance of these guys parroting Tory party dogma...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Unfortunately we aren't allowed post gifs because his 'policies' can be described perfectly by Vikky Pollard. Yeah but no but yeah but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Unfortunately we aren't allowed post gifs because his 'policies' can be described perfectly by Vikky Pollard. Yeah but no but yeah but no.

Can't see too many people backing him.. I don't think he's trustworthy.

Having said that maybe that's not relevant. He wouldn't have the numbers to do anything other than what he promised as the lib Dems and SNP won't wait around too long for him to call that election.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

lawred2 wrote: »

Can't see too many people backing him.. I don't think he's trustworthy.

Having said that maybe that's not relevant. He wouldn't have the numbers to do anything other than what he promised as the lib Dems and SNP won't wait around too long for him to call that election.
    He's now the main obstacle to preventing No Deal and Brexit itself. Now, that the remain alliance has coalesced, Labour cooperation is critical.
    I suspect he has actually offered to be the interim PM knowing no one will support him and thus actually causing the crash-out. He's an Obstructionist and thinks he's smart. I can see Watson or someone else high enough in Labour making a move and create a revolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

To be fair, making fun of a child is pretty bad but it's not near the level of not-so-subtly wishing a lethal accident on her. As awful as JHB may be, it's reasonable enough that that would be her line.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭ISOP

Igotadose wrote: »
    Iain Dale should be told his NHS coverage is at risk due to no-deal Brexit and maybe some of the smug would be wiped away. The arrogance of these guys parroting Tory party dogma...
    Iain Dale is incredibly smug, a real little englander

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

McGiver wrote: »
    He's now the main obstacle to preventing No Deal and Brexit itself. Now, that the remain alliance has coalesced, Labour cooperation is critical.
    I suspect he has actually offered to be the interim PM knowing no one will support him and thus actually causing the crash-out. He's an Obstructionist and thinks he's smart. I can see Watson or someone else high enough in Labour making a move and create a revolt.

TBF People have been saying/hoping that since about 5 minutes after he got elected leader.

The fundamental issue with the entire Brexit shambles is that for every single one of those involved, the single most important thing is not delivering Brexit or doing what's best for the people of the UK. The only thing that matters to any of them is getting or keeping power.

They don't care what happens as long as they win the next GE and get into power. They are willing to sacrifice anyone and anything to achieve that goal.

Politicians are generally self serving , but the behaviour of the entire Political class in the UK in the last few years has been utterly appalling.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

“Look at all those snowflakes whining”

It’s evident from the replies that the objective of that tweet has been met.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

that is one toxic thread

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Morning folks, just had a look at a few posts overnight which are of the one line personal attack on a politician or media personality. As per the charter, lets discuss the policies they espouse rather than commenting on their characters please.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

I wouldn’t even blink if boris were to go full Winston cosplay now and invade Ireland. Make the paddies pay for this outrage. Just as his hero did.

That was tried before and it did not work,my grandfathers and his friends made life too hard for them,,,its just a pity they hadn't the weapons to free the whole island.

"I joined the flying column in 1916"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

One great thing about the Brexit mess in the UK is that it separated the Republicans from the patriots. Brewer is doing what you would expect any hate filled UK republican would do, Ridicule,vilify and troll somebody who does not share her views. Does not matter that this 16 year old girl should have a bigger say in the future of the planet, Brewer is chugging along nicely towards old age, like the vast majority of the Brexiters.

lawred2 wrote: »
    what?

what has a Swedish girl's actions on climate change got to do with someone's republicanism or patriotism? And what's the relevance to Brexit?

I'm seriously baffled as to how you've arrived at the above.

Ill answer your question now that its not "What?" anymore.:)
    I never said they were connected.
    But if you carried out a poll on how many Brexiters supported environmental issues, it would be a lot less than in the Remainer camp.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Morning folks, just had a look at a few posts overnight which are of the one line personal attack on a politician or media personality. As per the charter, lets discuss the policies they espouse rather than commenting on their characters please.

C'mon guys, dont make me tap the sign!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Ill answer your question now that its not "What?" anymore.:)
    I never said they were connected.
    But if you carried out a poll on how many Brexiters supported environmental issues, it would be a lot less than in the Remainer camp.

You're welcome.

Why do you call her a Republican?
    Anybody who thinks Boris Johnson should suspend parliament to bypass a leave vote and deliver a no-deal Brexit is an English Republican.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Anybody who thinks Boris Johnson should suspend parliament to bypass a leave vote to deliver a no-deal Brexit is an English Republican.

You're right that she is a staunch English Republican. She wants to abolish the monarchy. Fair dos to her for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement