Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's 24h bus services

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

The thing about the Nitelink is, it's too expensive, the timetables were completely unknown to most (Fair enough, people here will know them, the average punter between 18 and 30 years old wouldn't), it didn't show up on real time so even if you were on a Nitelink route and you knew there was one due roughly around now, you've no idea if you just missed it or it's coming now or in 10 minutes.

This 24 hour service solves all of that. It's cheap. It actually opens up a new market for people going out too. Students for instance, instead of having to budget potentially €10, €15, €20 quid for going home they now know they only need €2.25 or €3 on a prepaid card so it's of no extra expense for them to go out and stay out past the last bus. Similarly, people who would have gotten the last bus just for the sake of convenience, and the 23:30 bus used to drive past people at stops when it was full.

I remember one time when I was a student a few years ago I was in town and I missed all the last buses and the only thing that went anywhere near my house was the 14 and even then it left me with an hour walk. So I walked anyway and I remember being soooooo thirsty. I hadn't even money for a bottle of water. I remember walking by plenty of bus stops and all said "no real time available for this stop". So I walked and I walked and I walked and then a 15n drove by me. I was stuck between two stops, no way was I catching it. But jesus it was so frustrating because I definitely would have gotten it had I known it was coming as I had money on the leap card.

I rarely carry cash and I've been in a few taxis recently that don't take card (on a separate issue, is mandatory for them to accept card soon?) so the bus home on nights out is a viable option for me. I can imagine people might stay out a bit later still knowing they have the convenience of getting a bus home and it's cheaper. Now on a slightly different point, if pubs and clubs had the option to close an hour later I think we'd be in a really nice spot in terms of nightlife and a 24 hour city culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Another thing about the nitelink is that officially they only pick up at certain points on each route, which is not the case with the 24 hour routes now

• Registered Users Posts: 81,264 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

p_haugh wrote: »
    Another thing about the nitelink is that officially they only pick up at certain points on each route, which is not the case with the 24 hour routes now

Nitelink picks up nowhere on the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Nitelink picks up nowhere on the route.

They have some set pick up stops along each route.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

All this information is widely available as it always has been from when timetable were published to leaflets to the internet.....

Most have smart phones and even before them you could get the internet and browse.

I can't see how 18 to 30 year olds would be that dim to not know how to search for the information needed.

Buses, trains etc have WiFi for those too stingy to have mobile data....

It's like the argument of fares were too high etc when there was for years the travel90 tickets which actually would have saved many money but they wouldn't buy them... Especially when using 2 buses or even the xpresso buses which it saved a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

ax586 wrote: »
    You do realise they are still short drivers for the one they are running now..

I guess we shouldn't even try so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I have used a couple of the new services (41) - both from the city centre.

Both were well used and picked up and set down along the way. I took one from Abbey Street and there was no hassle for people to head there, from what I could see. In fact there were many airport staff (you can tell by their uniforms) boarding en route.

I think that the 30 minute frequency is sufficient. Judging a 15 going up Camden Street in December at 2 / 3 / 4am when Christmas parties are in full swing is not the best. Neither would the third Tuesday in January when everyone is sober and broke! There will be peaks and troughs!

Interestingly, some early cheap travel to / from the airport is no possible with a change at Eden Quay / Abbey St. onto either service. You can feasibly get to / from the airport in the middle of the night for less than €4 with leap!

Nitelinks serve a purpose to clear people home from the bars and clubs around town, but that is about it. The 24 hour routes allow full pick up in both directions at low fares. These services will allow so many more people to live on these corridors to allow them to get to work by bus, which was not possible until now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

bikeman1 wrote: »
    Both were well used and picked up and set down along the way. I took one from Abbey Street and there was no hassle for people to head there, from what I could see. In fact there were many airport staff (you can tell by their uniforms) boarding en route.

Living on the route myself, this doesn't surprise me at all. It feels like half my neighbours work at the airport or one of the airlines. The 41 will be very popular with them.
    bikeman1 wrote: »
    I think that the 30 minute frequency is sufficient. Judging a 15 going up Camden Street in December at 2 / 3 / 4am when Christmas parties are in full swing is not the best. Neither would the third Tuesday in January when everyone is sober and broke! There will be peaks and troughs!

Of course and I'd agree that you'd have to give it a few months to settle down before even considering increasing frequency.

Having said that I could see the 41 getting busier over time. Think about when word gets out amongst regular travellers and out onto various travel websites and blogs. I suspect it could end up being a very busy service year round.

I could see just the 41 eventually (like a year or two down the line) needing higher frequency. Also we could eventually see perhaps a higher frequency just between 12 and 4am Friday and Saturday nights on other routes.

But I agree with you it is probably way too early to make those sort of decisions now. Better now to just let it bed it, for the word to get out and to first focus on getting more 24/7 routes started. But a few years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if we see higher frequencies at certain day/times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭Joker2019

There could be an argument down the line to run 24hr services more frequently at night at particular times of the year for example in the run up to Christmas, BH weekends and after concerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I guess we shouldn't even try so ?

maybe make a couple of other routes 24 hrs rather than concentrate all the night drivers on just 2 routes?

spread the 24 hr service to different areas of the city.

• Advertisement

maybe make a couple of other routes 24 hrs rather than concentrate all the night drivers on just 2 routes?

spread the 24 hr service to different areas of the city.

They will be but issues are breaking and where as everything is closed so they need access to a garage.

Very few signed up and newbies made up the rest as it was part of their contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I don't know what the margins are on running 24 hour buses but I would hope they can incentivise more drivers to do it and not be running at a loss. Ultimately Dublin Bus is a business and the aim of the business is getting as many people on as many buses as possible in order to turn a profit.

The "margin" should not be an issue here,as the routes form part of the Dublin Bus/NTA Public Service Obligation contract.

The NTA therefore set the Service Specification,and allocate the appropriate funding to allow the operator a "reasonable profit".

Operating a Bus on a permanent Nightwork Basis will never be an easy sell for any Bus Company,hence the requirement for enhanced pay rates and other compensatory elements.

It is vitally necessary for those who are supporting these services to e-mail the NTA with the same type of message as is being posted here,as in.."provide the service and I will use it"...that is the NTA's remit and it should be encouraged to expand this aspect.

The current NTA Night Service plans remain somewhat unchallenging,and should be ramped up a bit,even if it incurs the wrath of the established Taxi industry.

However,it has to be realized that services such as 24hr Bus Routes DO cost,but also provide a very real Social Benefit to the greater society.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

They will be but issues are breaking and where as everything is closed so they need access to a garage.

Very few signed up and newbies made up the rest as it was part of their contracts.

Id say it would be a handy shift for drivers. The anti social card was probably overplayed and might have put people off. No traffic, no stopping every stop and lots of breaks because a schedule which might take 45 mins at peak times take 20-25.

Many coach drivers life night shifts.

How are nightlink rostered?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

2,829 used the 41 over the first 5 nights. Nothing about the 15.

https://www.thejournal.ie/late-night-dublin-bus-services-4934406-Dec2019/

I'd say taxi drivers are peed off....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Those Dublin bus night shifts are quite bad, still doing a 8 / 9 hour shift work breaks at 1 or 3 in the morning time !

Even one there that breaks for 2 hours on Eden quay in the middle of the night ! What's worse the driver has to hand over his bus to the next driver ! So around 2am with 2 hours in Dublin where it's not safe. A bad duty during the night and of course the middle of winter now.

Of course nobody wants to do those shifts !

Sure if I do a Belfast during the night I've less work than a night time 15 driver !

They can be a great service, I've seen even early on they are carrying a good few people and not party goers either, people just trying to get around so I'd be happy to see now expansion but they really need to re do the entire roster for them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The taxi industry needs to be obliterated by 24 hr routes. The city centre is dangerously congested with taxis at night and the selective behaviour of drivers in december isn't exactly building good will. Good riddance I say. Here's hoping that next Christmas the city is well covered by 24hr services.

Those Dublin bus night shifts are quite bad, still doing a 8 / 9 hour shift work breaks at 1 or 3 in the morning time !

Even one there that breaks for 2 hours on Eden quay in the middle of the night ! What's worse the driver has to hand over his bus to the next driver ! So around 2am with 2 hours in Dublin where it's not safe. A bad duty during the night and of course the middle of winter now.

Sure if I do a Belfast during the night I've less work than a night time 15 driver !

They can be a great service, I've seen even early on they are carrying a good few people and not party goers either, people just trying to get around so I'd be happy to see now expansion but they really need to re do the entire roster for them

I dont think Dublin is really anymore dangerous at 2 or 3am than it is at 8 or 9 at night. Anytime I've been in town late at night I havent felt that unsafe a lot of the junkies will have gone to their hostels at stage. You have to remember as well that depending on certain peoples arrangements when it comes to things like childcare it may suit them better to work nights than day shifts. With over 2,500 bus drivers working for DB working nights is bound to suit some.

I don't think there's any statistical basis for the narrative of there being a higher incidence of crime at night. There's generally a distinct lack of junkies about at 3M anyway

Leaving junkies and crime aside, on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night, even trying to get into McDonald's for a cup of coffee would be a problem with the amount of drunks around

Or even just being around the city at 2am on a break in the cold wouldn't be nice and that's only the middle of the shift !

All I'm suggesting is they set it up better that maybe a late duty would start at around 8pm and break 11 - 12 and finish around 3. And an early duty starting at 3 , break about 6-7 and finish around 10 would probably make more sense

• Advertisement

I don't really follow. Like are you afraid of just seeing a person who is drunk? Have you never been drunk?

I don't really care how it's fostered to be honest as long as the service is provided. I'm just perplexed that anyone would by so hyper sensitive to ther people's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

There are plenty of people who get a taxi during the day, when all the buses are running. There will be plenty of people who get a taxi at night even if they have the choice.

Im sure the taxis will take a hit, but its not like the industry is doomed.

There are plenty of people who get a taxi during the day, when all the buses are running. There will be plenty of people who get a taxi at night even if they have the choice.

Im sure the taxis will take a hit, but its not like the industry is doomed.
    Majority of the business is night time there'll certainly be a reduction in numbers and of course a reduction in emissions from transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Not according to Dublin Bus , they said they had lots of drivers who wanted to do them as it suited their personal circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

Not according to Dublin Bus , they said they had lots of drivers who wanted to do them as it suited their personal circumstances

Really, are you sure?. Can you tell us how you know this?

cgcsb wrote: »
    I don't really follow. Like are you afraid of just seeing a person who is drunk? Have you never been drunk?

I don't really care how it's fostered to be honest as long as the service is provided. I'm just perplexed that anyone would by so hyper sensitive to ther people's business.

Afraid of looking at people who are drunk ? Are you for real ?

The shift these lads are doing during the night are though enough when you can't get a bit of peace to yourself for a break.

Like you say, if you don't care how it's done once the service is provided then why do you give a flying sh,ite about the suggestions being made to help make the shifts better ? Sure it won't effect you ! :rolleyes:

I can tell for fact it is not true.

So far at the moment a lot of the night shifts are being covered by people who are very new to the job and that's because they are junior spare (no fixed rota) and it's in their employment contract that they must be available 24hours for work. I.e days , early's, middles, lates, nights and indifferent

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Kyleboy wrote: »
    Really, are you sure?. Can you tell us how you know this?

Believe it's what Donal Keating who is operations director of Dublin Bus said when interviewed on the On The Move podcast recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I was on an city centre bound service from Swords on Saturday night / Sunday morning. Loaded approximately 20 from Swords and we picked up a few at the airport (well after the last flights had arrived - winter schedule).

From what I could make out, the opposite working from town was very well loaded as well.

I was chatting to a lad who was waiting at the stop. He sometimes had late finishes and when he did he had to get a taxi home, because he doesn't drive. He was delighted with the new service.

• Advertisement

Afraid of looking at people who are drunk ? Are you for real ?

The shift these lads are doing during the night are though enough when you can't get a bit of peace to yourself for a break.

Like you say, if you don't care how it's done once the service is provided then why do you give a flying sh,ite about the suggestions being made to help make the shifts better ? Sure it won't effect you ! :rolleyes:

I see lots of DB staff whom I assume are drivers around the O'Connell Street, Henry Street and Parnell Street area on their break. Personally I would not assoicate that part of town with peace and quiet even during the day. I've said it before but I don't why they can't open up the DB canteen on Earl Place with key code/swipe card access or even DB HQ on a similar basis for night drivers.

Advertisement