Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Hansons Method

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I'm gonna have a go at Hanson for DCM, bought the book, great read. I'm still in kinda recovery mode from Boston but trying to get the base of around 40 miles per week before the plan starts on 24th June. I have found it really hard trying to adjust the easy runs to 9.00 min/ml as I always considered 8.00 ish as my easy run. Looking forward to seeing how this pans out for those trying the plan.

24th June Start Date for the 18 weeks. Pretty much why I set this thread up. Welcome aboard!

The first week of the plan is just a few easy run and 26m total. Then jumps to 41m week 2 with the first SOS (12x 400m). I set my goal at 40m per week too but due to illness didn't hit it. It will surely stand to you and you will be ready to hit the plan running.

Its a tough plan. Have you a target for DCM? What was your Boston time as that could be useful to plan your paces. 9:00 would be about right for the Monday run which needs to be on the easy side of easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I'll be jumping aboard the Hanson (beginner) bus for DCM, but not 100% sure of plan yet. I'll either re-do the beginner plan that I followed from last year or do the, "advanced first timer" plan from the new book.

Looking forward to it and dreading it in equal measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

shotgunmcos you are to blame for my purchase of yet another running book this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

24th June Start Date for the 18 weeks. Pretty much why I set this thread up. Welcome aboard!

The first week of the plan is just a few easy run and 26m total. Then jumps to 41m week 2 with the first SOS (12x 400m). I set my goal at 40m per week too but due to illness didn't hit it. It will surely stand to you and you will be ready to hit the plan running.

Its a tough plan. Have you a target for DCM? What was your Boston time as that could be useful to plan your paces. 9:00 would be about right for the Monday run which needs to be on the easy side of easy.

I went into Boston with 3.20 in mind as plan A, plan B was to just bring home the unicorn. Motored along for 15 miles, 2 mins up on planned pace and everything I had eaten made a reappearance. Heat & humidity was brutal, loads of runners were physically sick. Struggled home in 3.33. I would hope to have another go at 3.20 in Dublin. I have always found the 20 mile runs in training head wrecking but like the long tempos, that's what has attracted me to Hanson.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    shotgunmcos you are to blame for my purchase of yet another running book this week :)

I bought 80/20 this morning - I blame MurphD (and also for the Hanson books, as it happens).

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »

You are welcome :D

I went into Boston with 3.20 in mind as plan A, plan B was to just bring home the unicorn. Motored along for 15 miles, 2 mins up on planned pace and everything I had eaten made a reappearance. Heat & humidity was brutal, loads of runners were physically sick. Struggled home in 3.33. I would hope to have another go at 3.20 in Dublin. I have always found the 20 mile runs in training head wrecking but like the long tempos, that's what has attracted me to Hanson.

Hmmm.. The Hansons plan wont affect any of these directly. However..

1. Setting out target paces to train at for 3:20 will put you in the ballpark for 3:20. Or on pace for 3:20 with a nice negative split in the last 10 miles (the plan really gives you strength at the business end if you have the mental game to match it) to bring home a 3:19! Race plan and approach will have a significant affect too and we can all discuss that once we get to week 15 or so.

2. Good that in Training for Dublin you will get plenty of warm humid weather in our summer. Nutrition on taper week and hydration and fueling for the race itself is something else we can chat about from week 17 on :) But worth chatting about our approach to the LRs too, as they approach.

I found the same with 20m runs years ago but that was also relatively low mileage and lots of hours spent on a bicycle back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Murph_D wrote: »
    Everything about your performances to date suggest that you’re doing things right pace wise. I’ve always thought of the fast end of those ranges as being a bit hot too. As long as you’re in the range I’d say you’re OK. That said, I tend to have a mental picture of the middle of the range as the number to aspire to on ‘normal’ days, and happy to hit the low end when tired, recovering, etc.

Thanks for the compliment D. Recovery and A Easy are not a huge change from what I currently do. It's the long run that has quite a difference. I presently do those at about 8:40 per mile. The suggested range is 7:42-8:01. If I stick to the paces I use at the moment do I risk losing the cumulative fatigue that the prescribed paces are intended to bring on?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Thanks for the compliment D. Recovery and A Easy are not a huge change from what I currently do. It's the long run that has quite a difference. I presently do those at about 8:40 per mile. The suggested range is 7:42-8:01. If I stick to the paces I use at the moment do I risk losing the cumulative fatigue that the prescribed paces are intended to bring on?

Think the calculator is less spicey:
    https://lukehumphreyrunning.com/hmmcalculator/race_equivalency_calculator.php

Huzzah! wrote: »

It makes it 7:31 to 9:01 which puts me within range with scope to do a few a bit faster. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I used Hanson's Beginner plan for Belfast a few weeks back - my first.

Mostly stuck to the plan, missed the odd day here and there due to life, tried to make sure I got the workouts and the long runs in each week. Did about 19km as my longest run rather than the 16 the plan has because it seemed like a good idea and I wanted to take my time on feet out to 3 hours at least once before the race...

It was hard work, especially in the last 2 months. A lot of time running and a lot of fatigue. It really eats into your life if you've got a full time job, kids, evening stuff on etc... I would regularly go out for a 2 hour run at half nine at night! I was thoroughly sick of it by the time I hit the taper (which is relatively little compared to other plans)...

That said, I got through 16 weeks of tough training without an injury, I started the marathon feeling ready and confident, despite a wobble about mile 23 I don't think I hit the wall in any meaningful sense and I nailed my time target (was going for a sub 4, finished in 3:56:05).

It's a great plan - if you're able to put in the hours it's well worth doing!

skyblue46 wrote: »

I had a similar question facing the LRs. Its not that they were long (only started at 12m) but the pace was pretty hot and quicker than I would have done before. The idea of the quicker pace on already tired legs is that the LR is supposed to feel like later miles in the Marathon/HM. If just running 30secs below your recovery/easy pace its merely an extended easy run.

During the plan I found that 10m easy was no bother. Id finish feeling fresh. But at the 10-12m mark of the LR at the prescribed pace I felt like I was starting to "dig in" physically and mentally. I also did most of the LRs unfueled so there was definitely a glycogen depletion/dehydration factor in some of those LRs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,831 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

In the advance half marathon plan, for the small tempos. ie 3 miles and 4 miles. Do you do them at half pace or faster?

Planned Half Marathon Pace

The Thursday Tempo is all about internalizing the planned race pace. If you struggle to hit the pace regularly as the volume increases, it is likely you will struggle on the day too.

I've gone over the Half Marathon book. Much the same as the Marathon approach. However, I have one issue!

On table 3.5 Pace for various training intensities

I look at 1:26 half and the paces prescribed are those of a 3:00 marathon.

So 3:00 marathon tempo pace is 6:52 and strength 6:42.

BUT a 1:26 half would be 6:34 pace tempo and 6:24 pace strength (as per the calculator https://lukehumphreyrunning.com/hmmcalculator/race_equivalency_calculator.php).

I think the book pace table is rather misleading!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You’re right - it’s a mistake. Noticed that when I used the plan 2 years ago. Think they just pulled that table from the marathon version of the book and forgot to change the tempo to HM pace!

You’re right - it’s a mistake. Noticed that when I used the plan 2 years ago. Think they just pulled that table from the marathon version of the book and forgot to change the tempo to HM pace!

Yeah it's wrong alright but I hadn't noticed it because on the plan pages you are referred to pace charts on page 93 which show the correct paces.

I think my first awareness of Hanson was from former regular poster aero2k, who used the plan with considerable success in 2015. He never kept a log but the race report is here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8N2ILvWdxnodjI0eVd6UUV0Y0k/view

Some more discussion here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106387436&postcount=2570

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Interested in this, have the race series booked so wondering if that can be incorporated into it.

Just compiling who is using Hansons for DCM or the Race Series Half. I'll update this again when we are 18 weeks from DCM

Huzzah!
    chickey2 - Half
    Kissylips - maybe
    Singer - maybe
    FBOT01
    skyblue46 - Half
    Glencarraig
    shotgunmcos
    bryangiggsy

And a few others reading the book and thinking about it?

If new to the plan then the next few weeks would be building your aerobic base.

• Advertisement

Interested in this, have the race series booked so wondering if that can be incorporated into it.

What dates are the series events and would you be using the beginner or advanced 18 weeks plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

What dates are the series events and would you be using the beginner or advanced 18 weeks plan?

10k 21st July
    10M 24th August
    Half 21st September

I'll be using the Advanced, looking to better my 3.12 pb

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Just compiling who is using Hansons for DCM or the Race Series Half. I'll update this again when we are 18 weeks from DCM

Huzzah!
    chickey2 - Half
    Kissylips - maybe
    Singer - maybe
    FBOT01
    skyblue46 - Half
    Glencarraig
    shotgunmcos
    bryangiggsy

And a few others reading the book and thinking about it?

If new to the plan then the next few weeks would be building your aerobic base.

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Did a test run of the MP + 30 second long run on Sunday. 1 mile warm up. 6 miles @ 7:15. 1 mile warm down. Got through it. Ran too fast. Need to work on pacing. Should be 7:22 per mile.

Can I do the first 10 mile at that pace in four weeks time? Probably.

Going to do a test MP tempo on Thursday. 4 miles at 6:52.

Hanson's Marathon book in the post.

10k 21st July
    10M 24th August
    Half 21st September

I'll be using the Advanced, looking to better my 3.12 pb

Thanks

Hey - Here is the plan based on 3:10. I put in the training paces and Race series dates.

10k - Don't see an issue with it. You will have 5x1,000m intervals the following Tuesday which should be ok, just err on the side of caution if legs are toasted from the 10k.

10m - Same weekend as your 15M LR. LRs are precious in the plan. If doing the 10m on the Saturday then I'd suggest dropping the pace of your LR the next day to the lower end of easy (8:45)

HM - This is the dilemma. You have your 2nd 16m LR on that weekend. Are you willing to give it up for the half marathon? Will you be aiming to race the HM? Personally, I'd drop it if its your first time using the Hansons plan. You will certainly have the cumulative fatigue in your legs already from a 9m tempo (MP) run (13m total) 2 days prior to the Race Series Half and you will risk dropping the 16m LR.

This is actually a key week as you have 3 sessions, 3x 2mile strength, 9m tempo and 16m LR all in a 62m week.

To race the HM you would likely have to drop the 9m Tempo and the 16m LR or do some careful workarounds. Then you have to consider the 2x3m strength session the following Tuesday. Its not far off doing 2x 5k at your HM pace 3 days after doing the HM itself. You risk giving up 3 key workouts for the half marathon. Hence the dilemma....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Currently reading book but I reckon I am in for DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭oinkely

Plan looks interesting and might be something that I could work in to my schedule.

A few questions that someone may be able to answer readily, though I think I have the book at home so will dig it out this evening.

1) Can the easy runs on Mon and Fri readily be split over two sessions if needed without serious detriment to the plan? I could fit a lot of them into lunch time but as they get longer I would need to split them just to fit them into the day, maybe 10k at lunch and the rest in the evening.

2) I have been running consistently between 50 and 80 km per week since October, a few long runs of up to 33km in there and recently got back to speed work. Did 10*400 @1.30 with 200 slow jog recovery two weeks ago and last week did 200, 400, 600, 800, 800, 600, 400, 200, 200, 200 @ 1.30 per 400 metre so pretty sure i can do the speed work. Where i am at the moment would indicate that i am perhaps a few weeks ahead of the plan for DCM so could i double up/repeat the odd week to allow for hiccups along the way where life wipes out the odd week?

3) I often have Fridays off so could i move the plan to concentrate the long run on friday? The rest of the week suits my schedule, but can see moving just one day wrecking the aim of the plan.

oinkely wrote: »
    Plan looks interesting and might be something that I could work in to my schedule.

A few questions that someone may be able to answer readily, though I think I have the book at home so will dig it out this evening.

1) Can the easy runs on Mon and Fri readily be split over two sessions if needed without serious detriment to the plan? I could fit a lot of them into lunch time but as they get longer I would need to split them just to fit them into the day, maybe 10k at lunch and the rest in the evening.

2) I have been running consistently between 50 and 80 km per week since October, a few long runs of up to 33km in there and recently got back to speed work. Did 10*400 @1.30 with 200 slow jog recovery two weeks ago and last week did 200, 400, 600, 800, 800, 600, 400, 200, 200, 200 @ 1.30 per 400 metre so pretty sure i can do the speed work. Where i am at the moment would indicate that i am perhaps a few weeks ahead of the plan for DCM so could i double up/repeat the odd week to allow for hiccups along the way where life wipes out the odd week?

3) I often have Fridays off so could i move the plan to concentrate the long run on friday? The rest of the week suits my schedule, but can see moving just one day wrecking the aim of the plan.

1) Thise Mon and Fri runs are only 6/7 miles so if you can manage 10k at lunchtime that would be enough.

2) If you’re ahead of the game fitness wise the odd hiccup in the plan won’t derail you. I’d just start on time and follow along. But up to you - maybe if going on hols or something and you really think you can’t get out.

3) You can’t move LR to an easy day without compromising the other SOS workouts. Bad idea to do the LR the day after your tempo. But you could shift the whole plan a couple days forward so the SOS (non-easy) stuff is Wed/Fri/Sun or Tue/Fri/Sun - ideally speed/strength Sun, tempo Tue, LR Fri. So essentially a Sat-Fri schedule.

. But you could shift the whole plan a couple days forward so the SOS (non-easy) stuff is Wed/Fri/Sun or Tue/Fri/Sun - ideally speed/strength Sun, tempo Tue, LR Fri. So essentially a Sat-Fri schedule.

I had this question on a couple of PMs too. Its a 6 day routine so m-s, t-s, w-t, t-t, all works if you keep the same pattern of easy, sos, easy, sos,, easy, easy, sos(LR)

BUT

you would need to sync it back around the Thurs-Tue pattern a few weeks out from your Marathon (unless the Marathon is not on Sunday)

• Advertisement

I've had a think about this and I won't be 'following' the plan for the Amsterdam Half. For me at this point it is overly regimental and changing runs seems to be problematical. This wouldn't be a problem if there was a major goal to be achieved at the end of it all. I decided not to do DCM as I didn't want to be tied religiously to a plan which would prevent me running the races that I'd like to. I will pull quite a lot of the general structure into my training though.

Advertisement