Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Hansons Method

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Itziger wrote: »
    Am seriously considering this for Valencia 2019. Don't know how the body will take 3 SOSs a week but I guess I'll find out soon enough. My pre-plan plan currently consists of no running for 2 weeks replacing it instead with lots of food and drink. Today's session has included BBQd spatchcocked chicken with a light red as well as duck with prunes and a small plate of cheeses as we speak. Dinner is with a glass or two of white. Snacks have been accompanied by beer and a g&t so I reckon I'm well placed to rip into the 18 weeks. Good luck to all.

Sounds very like my prep.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

SOS in the heat/humidity

How are guys n gals approaching this? Life routine means I generally need to get it done pre breakfast. Not my favourite. Occasionally during the day. The 400s had more frequent recoveries but longer reps bring on the thirst faster. Do you bring water/electrolytes and store/carry. Late evening sun setting would be ideal but little kiddies own that time.

On the last cycle it was spring and cooler. I haven't done a summer cycle in donkeys..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

SOS in the heat/humidity

How are guys n gals approaching this? Life routine means I generally need to get it done pre breakfast. Not my favourite. Occasionally during the day. The 400s had more frequent recoveries but longer reps bring on the thirst faster. Do you bring water/electrolytes and store/carry. Late evening sun setting would be ideal but little kiddies own that time.

On the last cycle it was spring and cooler. I haven't done a summer cycle in donkeys..

Haven't found the need for hydration during the intervals. They are so short and the overall mileage short that I can get through ok. If struggling maybe take a euro or two and buy a bottle before you start your cool down?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭digiman

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Is that not a bit quick for your aim?

Ran that day at 4:56min/km, was wrecked tired and actually walked for about a minute half way through it. Was just off the back of a 66km week so I'm not surprised.

Anyway got the distance up to 73km this week which is pretty much inline with the plan.

Thur: 10km tempo on the plan, done a 2km warmup, ran the 10km at 4:56min/km and had a 1.6km cool down. Would like to have had a longer warm up and cool down but just didn't have the time.
    Fri: Easy 11km run done at 5:36min/km
    Sat: Plan had an Easy 10km run but was feeling quite good and wanted to make my Sunday run feel ever more tired so ran that 10km at 5:10min/km. Felt fine throughout this.
    Sun: First long 10mile on the plan, supposed to run at around 5:22min/km but ran a little quicker at 5:13min/km and felt great doing this. Could really feel strength in the legs that I've never really felt before.
    Mon: Almost missed this run, slept in the morning and I only ever run in mornings but managed to get out for a run after work. Really glad I did though as it keeps everything on plan and could be the start of downward spiral if I start missing sessions.
    Tue: Done 6*800m intervals with 400m recoveries. Stuck to the 21min 5km target in the book and ran these in 3mins 24secs (4:14min/km) and jogged all recoveries at around 5:45min/km. Again felt strong in these and could have done another one if I needed to.

Looking at the book they are saying to run the 1000m next week in 4:12 which is a faster pace than they have said to run the 400,600 or 800s.

Will try and improve the tempo run tomorrow to below 4:50min/km, also have a nasty blister under the right foot which is a pain but will battle on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    Got through all sessions so far including today except the first Thursday tempo. I was in the hills of Provence in Cotignac. 30 degrees, no flat route, bit of wine the night before etc, etc. My heart rate spiraled and I abandoned after 3 miles.

Back on track. 6 miles. Average 6:52/mile. 152bpm average.

As an aside, I did it at 7am instead of the usual 5pm after work. Felt fresher and also had the park to myself. Might keep that up.

How does that HR look for race pace. What is the goal HR? Is there such a thing?

• Advertisement

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    Back on track. 6 miles. Average 6:52/mile. 152bpm average.

As an aside, I did it at 7am instead of the usual 5pm after work. Felt fresher and also had the park to myself. Might keep that up.

How does that HR look for race pace. What is the goal HR? Is there such a thing?
    Need context. Resting Hr, Max Hr etc but 152 seems comfortable for 3hr marathon pace. Have you actual hr data from previous events? The weekly tempo is aimed at pace but good to use hr as a reference if you know what it means.

6:54/mile for the tempo today. That was tough. It definitely felt like the last six miles of the marathon. I guess the fatigue is setting in nicely.

That's great going @Kissy_Lips finding the start of all the runs tough even if it the easy miles, but once i am a mile or 2 in and the legs loosen up the tiredness seems to go although did feel tired towards the end of the CD mile last night, but i also felt like I could have done another couple at MP so thats good. How are folks doing with their chosen pace. I am finding it hard to stay at mines in the MP and am constantly 5-10 seconds under and having to slow myself down and it just doesn't seem to suit my stride - but there is no way i could run that pace for 26 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

I am finding it hard to stay at mines in the MP and am constantly 5-10 seconds under and having to slow myself down and it just doesn't seem to suit my stride - but there is no way i could run that pace for 26 miles.

Bit of a contradiction there, MP is too slow but I couldn’t keep it going for a marathon?
    If you slowed down maybe u could.

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Bit of a contradiction there, MP is too slow but I couldn’t keep it going for a marathon?
    If you slowed down maybe u could.

Don't see the contradiction myself but thanks anyway.

• Advertisement

I find the long run boring so I entered a few races to keep the motivation up with the added bonus of water stations and maybe even a t-shirt.

This race in particular might interest people doing this plan. It is on the day of the first 16 mile long run. Only 20 quid.

https://www.popupraces.ie/race/lough-sheelin-challenge-2019-16-mile-10k/

Also I entered the Oylegate half, which is a great race. This falls on the 15 mile long run weekend. Run a mile away from the start line and then a mile back. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

Kissy Lips wrote:
    This race in particular might interest people doing this plan. It is on the day of the first 16 mile long run. Only 20 quid.

I ran this race last year its well ran, a lovely route but by god its hilly.

So today Tuesday is effectively then end of another 6 days running.
    How are things after 5 weeks?
    Fatigue yet?
    Sticking to the plan?

Fatigue yet?
    Sticking to the plan?

Sticking to the plan and enjoying it for the most part. But I did feel tired tonight I have to say, got the speed work done but the legs were heavy during the warm up. What about yourself? Can't believe we are into week 6 already, nearly a third of the way there.

Challenges coming over the next few weeks as normal routine gets disrupted and trying to keep to the plan during it. That and the fact mileage is going to increase :)

Fatigue yet?
    Sticking to the plan?

Going good so far. Getting all of the sessions in. Really enjoying the pace of the long run. Such a nice pace to be travelling at relative to Thursday pace. Leaves you with something still in the tank and a somewhat fresh feeling after.

Definitely have some fatigue in the legs, I felt it most doing the 4 x 1200. On fresh legs I would instantly find 5 - 10 seconds per rep quicker. I was searching for a higher gear but my body wasn't giving it.

Overall really enjoying the plan.

Niggles been holding me back thus far. Just through a hip/glute on and right calf knotted up. Dunno how but managed 4 clean months on the plan for Limerick. Disaster since. Nothing to do with the plan.

Pace on the speed and tempo sessions were a little off last week but back on track this week. 400/800/1200/1600/1200/800/400 all under 6.00 pace.
    Have also got the long runs down to 7.30 for the most part so that’s an improvement from last year.
    Keep on truckin

Pace on the speed and tempo sessions were a little off last week but back on track this week. 400/800/1200/1600/1200/800/400 all under 6.00 pace.
    Have also got the long runs down to 7.30 for the most part so that’s an improvement from last year.
    Keep on truckin

Are you doing sub 18:40 for 5km right now? If not, that rep pace is a little spicy.

Keep on truckin

Are you doing Dublin - just asking as the pyramid SOS is week 7 and we are on week 6 so you got me wondering if i had missed a week some where :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,390 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Are you doing Dublin - just asking as the pyramid SOS is week 7 and we are on week 6 so you got me wondering if i had missed a week some where :D

Think he said earlier he was doing Amsterdam, week before Dublin.

• Advertisement

Thanks @Murph_D - i was getting worried for a minute there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Thanks @Murph_D - i was getting worried for a minute there!

Me too so please ignore my post regarding.

Yeah I’m a week ahead, don’t panic.
    Haven’t done a 5k since a BHAA last year. Time was 18.40.

Guys, I'm running the Rock & Roll half on Sunday week so I assume its ok to do the Tuesday session and substitute the Thursday tempo 7 for an easy run. I want to be kinda fresh for the half as it is the national champs..........all advice welcome.

Guys, I'm running the Rock & Roll half on Sunday week so I assume its ok to do the Tuesday session and substitute the Thursday tempo 7 for an easy run. I want to be kinda fresh for the half as it is the national champs..........all advice welcome.

Do the long run on Thursday and run the R&R at marathon pace or MP + 10 sec. if you kill yourself the follow week will suffer
    I’m assuming your not in a position to win the national champs

Do the long run on Thursday and run the R&R at marathon pace or MP + 10 sec. if you kill yourself the follow week will suffer
    I’m assuming your not in a position to win the national champs

Age cat possibly :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

1st week of a truncated Hanson plan done, all the boring detail is in my training log: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110880312&postcount=1385

I'm making the following modifications to the plan:
    - I'm doing the regular club track stuff on Tuesday for the next few weeks. The distance and paces are similar, but the reps typically a lot shorter than what's in the Hanson plan. Once it moves to the 10k pace stuff I'll start following those.
    - The non-session midweek days will be 9/10 mile commutes, which is my usual routine.
    - A few moves of days around to allow for some travel in August, but I shouldn't miss any sessions. One Thursday tempo might get pushed to the weekend rather than trying to fit it in while at a conference, there's no long run that weekend so that should work.
    - The day off probably won't happen, unless I'm getting particularly tired or not hitting target paces.
    - I still think I need a short warmup before the long run pace, running at ~7:20 out of the door wouldn't feel right! I only did a mile warmup this weekend. Does anybody else ease into these runs?

No niggles or fatigue, but it is just my first week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Sub 3 is the target I take it B?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

OOnegative wrote: »
    Sub 3 is the target I take it B?

Using those paces for the sessions alright, though slightly faster in practice so far. Not too much harm in that I think, as long as the paces continue to feel ok. The sub-3 support thread is full of folks saying to train for 2:55 to actually run sub-3... I may have been reading it from start to finish recently :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Singer wrote: »
    1st week of a truncated Hanson plan done, all the boring detail is in my training log: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110880312&postcount=1385

I'm making the following modifications to the plan:
    - I'm doing the regular club track stuff on Tuesday for the next few weeks. The distance and paces are similar, but the reps typically a lot shorter than what's in the Hanson plan. Once it moves to the 10k pace stuff I'll start following those.
    - The non-session midweek days will be 9/10 mile commutes, which is my usual routine.
    - A few moves of days around to allow for some travel in August, but I shouldn't miss any sessions. One Thursday tempo might get pushed to the weekend rather than trying to fit it in while at a conference, there's no long run that weekend so that should work.
    - The day off probably won't happen, unless I'm getting particularly tired or not hitting target paces.
    - I still think I need a short warmup before the long run pace, running at ~7:20 out of the door wouldn't feel right! I only did a mile warmup this weekend. Does anybody else ease into these runs?

No niggles or fatigue, but it is just my first week :)

So which part of the plan are you actually going to follow :D

Advertisement